PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed 3's "big jump" made possible by annualised releases

AlexEzio89
06-09-2012, 04:39 AM
The big creative leap promised by Assassin's Creed 3 would have been impossible had Ubisoft not annualised the franchise, according to the sequel's creative director Alex Hutchinson.

Speaking to Eurogamer backstage at E3 this week, Hutchinson defended Ubisoft's shift to an annual release model, explaining that it would have been impossible to be so ambitious with the impending third entry in the franchise had Brotherhood and Revelations not kept things ticking over.

"We have multiple groups now working [on the series]. We started this one in January 2010, the same time as Brotherhood and before Revelations," he explained.

The core team on this one has been working at it for almost three years, which is something you can almost never get in the industry these days - it's too expensive, too risky. So we need the other projects to support that kind of development - these big jumps.

"It's funny, people say it's about how often you release new entries, but I really think it's about how good they are," he added.

"If they put out Breaking Bad every day I'd watch it every day. I wouldn't need other TV. So I think this usually comes up when people aren't satisfied with something we did.

Also, the beauty of Assassin's is that if you do it right it's kind of a new IP. It's still about navigation and combat, but it's a brand new hero, brand new setting, brand new fantasy. It really is as close as you could get to a big budget new IP late in the hardware cycle."

Hutchinson remained cagey when asked if Assassin's Creed 3 will also end up a trilogy, as the second game in the series did.

"I think we've become much better at planning forward in the franchise so we have ideas," he replied.

"But we also know players love new characters and radical changes so we're still figuring a few things out. I don't know. I think it would be kind of neat at some point to say 'Connor is a character, he lived in this big epic game, that's his story', instead of trying to drag it out too much.

"But then again, it took up 18 months in terms of casting actors, building 20 or 30 versions of the outfit... just working on all these things to get it right, so it's not something you can do quickly."

SOURCE:http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-08-assassins-creed-3s-big-jump-made-possible-by-annualised-releases

I AM HAPPY NOW ,I LOVE TO HAVE ASSASINS CREED EVRY YEAR

Azugo
06-09-2012, 05:36 AM
God, I hope we don't get a Connor-trilogy. Not only would I think it would get tiring, but it would probably also require Desmond in the Animus for another two games after AC3. Assuming these games come out annually, then we'd still be getting Desmond games that're set in 2012 after 2012 in real-time, when the whole point of them releasing AC3 this year was to release it before December 21, 2012 in real-time. They'd be breaking their 'rule', of sorts.

I also thought they were gonna take a break from AC after AC3, and come back with a reveal of a new game in 2014? I know that this article isn't Ubisoft actually confirming a Connor trilogy, but still. I'd like to see them take a couple of years break to come up with something fresh.

GeneralTrumbo
06-09-2012, 07:18 AM
I sure hope we don't get another set of games like Brotherhood and Revelations. I think Desmond's story shouldn't keep dragging like that. Lets end it right in AC3 and not drag. I also think there should be no more numbered installments, keep Assassins Creed a true trilogy.

MetalCreed
06-09-2012, 08:04 AM
If Ubisoft still wants to create another Connor game then please do it in the form of a big expansion pack.
Like honestly, I really don't want to play the same ancestor again or play in the same setting, and neither do I want to continue Desmond's story.

ElTORO713
06-09-2012, 08:10 AM
If Ubisoft still wants to create another Connor game then please do it in the form of a big expansion pack.
Like honestly, I really don't want to play the same ancestor again or play in the same setting, and neither do I want to continue Desmond's story.

Totally agree they really dont use that to their advantage just make it as an add on or something

GeneralTrumbo
06-09-2012, 08:12 AM
Okay, let me correct what I said before. I think that Ubisoft MIGHT be able to get away with using Connor again if they wait a couple years before they release another game with him first of all, and second if they don't continue Desmond's story with it. That is left to end in AC3.

ElTORO713
06-09-2012, 08:16 AM
That wouldnt make sense the reason your playing as connor is because of desmond having to relive these memories so he can understand what he has to do so they couldnt kepp on going like that unless there is someone else other than desmond with the same genes or something

GeneralTrumbo
06-09-2012, 09:16 AM
That wouldnt make sense the reason your playing as connor is because of desmond having to relive these memories so he can understand what he has to do so they couldnt kepp on going like that unless there is someone else other than desmond with the same genes or something
What I was saying is that we should play as Connor without us using the animus.

kalo.yanis
06-09-2012, 10:15 AM
What I was saying is that we should play as Connor without us using the animus.
Not gonna happen. The animus is the basis of the story, not to mention that of the game's interface.

pacmanate
06-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Well yeah this does make sense. They needed time and money, the money from brotherhood and revelations went towards AC3. If they made Connors a triology then I would get bored. Mostly because we wouldnt have the shear SCALE of the world in AC3

Azurefeatherfly
06-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Corey May has stated pretty clearly that AC3 will tie up loose ends and provide closure, and I trust him completely to provide a fitting conclusion to the story of Connor and that of Desmond in the AC3 game.

lukaszep
06-09-2012, 06:24 PM
They said pretty much the same sort of things with Ezio in AC2.
I hope they don't do another game with Connor. As amazing as it looks, 30 years is a lot of time to cover, and I would hate to go back to it in another installment to play "missing" or "later" years, just because "it took up 18 months in terms of casting actors, building 20 or 30 versions of the outfit... just working on all these things to get it right, so it's not something you can do quickly."
I appreciate the amount of time, effort and money that has gone into this game. So why spoil the great game that AC3 is/will be, by making another game for no good storytelling reasons.

JumpInTheFire13
06-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Well I love Brotherhood, so I wouldn't another Connor game. I just don't know how they could continue Desmond's story

AlexEzio89
06-10-2012, 04:36 AM
Well I love Brotherhood, so I wouldn't another Connor game. I just don't know how they could continue Desmond's story

yes no I would not mind to continue with Conor, as they have done with just Ezio only be in America has changed location
yes it would be interesting like Desmond's story continues

rileypoole1234
06-10-2012, 05:05 AM
Well bugger it, if they make another one with Connor and Desmond I'd surely play it. Assassin's Creed has always been my favourite series so I'll gladly play any AC game Ubisoft makes.

AlexEzio89
06-10-2012, 05:06 AM
Well bugger it, if they make another one with Connor and Desmond I'd surely play it. Assassin's Creed has always been my favourite series so I'll gladly play any AC game Ubisoft makes.

yeeep me too

imonthenet
06-10-2012, 10:31 AM

Haha, that's pretty much my thoughts too. But as they have said multiple times before, ACIII will conclude Desmond's story, and after ACIII they are taking a break.

My guess is that we won't see another AC game until the 'next generation' of consoles (e.g. PS4, Next X-BOX etc.) probably as a launch title. These are just my opinions of course, but I think the time frame next gen consoles are looking to be as well as the timing for Ubisoft's break seem to match.

kriegerdesgottes
06-10-2012, 10:47 AM
As much as I hate the annualization of the franchise, I agree with him. If this gives Ubisoft incentive to give the developers a decent amount of development time by pumping out smaller AC games in between the real big ones then so be it. I think this will end up leading to franchise fatigue as I have been going through myself recently but I'm just happy they were able to have three years to make ACIII and if we all have to deal with Brotherhoods and Revelations in the meantime then so be it. I kind of do hope they make a Connor trilogy though just for that reason and also because of the interesting events he could take part in like the French Revolution or he might be a little too old for the war of 1812 but there are some cool possibilities.

lukaszep
06-10-2012, 01:41 PM
I understand that the cost for developing these games is huge (especially considering the amount of marketing Ubisoft pumps into it) but AC is one of the best selling franchises ever. It's huge. The games alone will have made Ubisoft a good billion, if not more, not including merchandise, books and figurines etc.

Hopefully they will either release a game in 2013 and then wait for another big installment for 2015, or release another game in 2014 and another in 2015.
I personally would love just to have a large DLC in 2013 for AC3, with around 4 or 5 hours worth of extra content. That would keep me satisfied for another year until 2014 with the huge game AC3 is going to be already.

TheHumanTowel
06-10-2012, 01:48 PM
No no no no. After 5 years of cliffhangers, mysteries and unanswered questions I want some bloody closure. No Connor trilogy ubisoft please. I want to see the end to the original trilogy. AC1-AC2-AC3

Azugo
06-10-2012, 02:42 PM
No no no no. After 5 years of cliffhangers, mysteries and unanswered questions I want some bloody closure. No Connor trilogy ubisoft please. I want to see the end to the original trilogy. AC1-AC2-AC3

Agreed. Five years in the making is long enough, let's rap this up now and then come back with something completely fresh in a few years time.

... before everyone gets franchise fatigue.

Assassin_M
06-10-2012, 03:00 PM
how the HELL can you be bored of these ?? or had enough of them ??
Seriously, mate ?

SixKeys
06-10-2012, 04:55 PM
If Ubi doesn't take at least a 1-year break from the franchise after Desmond's story wraps up, I think I'll take one myself. ACR nearly killed my enthusiasm for the franchise, the previews from AC3 have restored it somewhat, but only because it feels fresh in so many ways. If they'll make another sequel directly after AC3 using the same mechanics and ideas, it's going to feel stale again. Ubi has a great cashcow in its hands that they could keep milking for years to come, but it's going to run dry real soon if they don't let it breathe sometimes.

De Filosoof
06-10-2012, 07:26 PM
If Ubi doesn't take at least a 1-year break from the franchise after Desmond's story wraps up, I think I'll take one myself. ACR nearly killed my enthusiasm for the franchise, the previews from AC3 have restored it somewhat, but only because it feels fresh in so many ways. If they'll make another sequel directly after AC3 using the same mechanics and ideas, it's going to feel stale again. Ubi has a great cashcow in its hands that they could keep milking for years to come, but it's going to run dry real soon if they don't let it breathe sometimes.

Indeed.
I hope they will take a long break and release their next AC game as a launch title for the next generation consoles, i think it would be a very smart move because this way they most likely leave a huge impression on people after AC3, so when AC4 will be a next gen launch title, many people will buy a new console (and AC4 ofcourse).
I also think AC is almost too ambitious for this generation consoles.

kriegerdesgottes
06-10-2012, 07:35 PM

I agree. I think I might actually just be done all the way around after ACIII. I've had a good obsession for the last 5 years and I think it'll come to an end after this one. That depends on how amazing this one and the next one is too I guess but like you said, if they keep going, I will probably take a break myself. But like Alex said, the annual games allows them to have an excuse to take long amounts of time to work on future large installations of the game so I don't see them taking any breaks until the franchise starts slowing down in sales which isn't going to happen until at least the next game.

twenty_glyphs
06-10-2012, 09:31 PM
I hope we don't see another Connor game too soon. If he's a good character I wouldn't mind returning to him sometime, but hopefully not in 2013. I wouldn't mind a large expansion pack type DLC featuring Connor next year if there's not a full retail game being released.

As we saw with Ezio, making the first game cover most of a character's life makes it hard to follow up with stories that feel as epic. After AC2, Brotherhood and Revelations could only cover so much time in Ezio's life and just never felt as epic in scope when it came to the story. You would probably have to do a lot of planning ahead to be able to pull off an epic historical story over two or three games with one character.

They are likely planning a decent amount of singleplayer DLC if the story of a season pass edition of AC3 being available to purchase is true. I can't imagine it not featuring Connor if so, which really makes me wonder if Desmond will survive AC3 and have more work to do at some point. It's actually not hard to see more Connor even if Desmond's story ends definitively in AC3. Connor would have a lot of descendants after 200 years even if he only had one child. They'd just need a new modern day character to relive the later years of Connor's genetic memories looking for some different information.

As for the yearly releases helping to finance AC3, I figured that was the case. Brotherhood and Revelations were still good enough games, and if AC3 is even more epic because of those games making money, I'm fine with that. I'm also confident that moving forward, they'll have teams making the games in parallel so they each get full development cycles. Brotherhood worked because it was a continuation of AC2, but Revelations had too many new ideas to work well with just a year to make it.

I do sort of hope that they take 2013 off from a full game and have some meaty new content for AC3. I think the next game we see should be the start of a new trilogy with a new modern day character. And it would only make sense to wait to start a new trilogy on the next generation of consoles, which is looking like it might not be until 2014.

True_Assassin92
06-10-2012, 10:06 PM
I'd want them to take a break as well. Have any of you seen the Jason Bourne movies? Well there is coming a new one, but with another "protagonist" you could say.

They say "there is never just one". So there will be another one just like Desmond who they could use to sync up with their ancestors, just like 16 before Desmond. I know it's obvious, but they can continue for a long time.