PDA

View Full Version : Aviation headset vs. PC headset?

El Turo
08-19-2004, 10:01 AM
Anyone know a way via a piece of radio shack hardware (or otherwise) to be able to use one of my aviation headsets with my PC for flying in IL2/FB?

Always wondered if this was possible, but I'm a complete tech-n00bie and have no idea.

Callsign "Turo" in IL2:FB & WWIIOL
of worship
I thought,
reloading my rifle.

~V.

El Turo
08-19-2004, 10:01 AM
Anyone know a way via a piece of radio shack hardware (or otherwise) to be able to use one of my aviation headsets with my PC for flying in IL2/FB?

Always wondered if this was possible, but I'm a complete tech-n00bie and have no idea.

Callsign "Turo" in IL2:FB & WWIIOL
of worship
I thought,
reloading my rifle.

~V.

Jagdgeschwader2
08-19-2004, 11:24 AM
Here you go.

http://www.avshop.com/catalog/product.html?productid=3564&categoryid=191

If you want to do it yourself.

http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/howto/adapter.htm

http://home.earthlink.net/~jagdgeschwader26/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/jagdgeschwader2s.jpg

A speck of dirt on your windscreen could turn into an enemy fighter in the time it took to look round and back again. A little smear on your goggles might hide the plane that was coming in to kill you.
Derek Robinson
From the book Piece of Cake.

TD_Klondike
08-19-2004, 01:12 PM
If you do it, I would expect that you wouldn't be happy with the results. Aviation headsets are often designed to cancel many frequencies, focusing on the range you use for voice. They're not really meant for audio fidelity in the way that most audio headsets are, so I would expect the sounds to be sub-par on the aviation headset.

I thought about doing the same thing once upon a time, but one of my pilot friends who has a B.A. in electronic music said I probably wouldn't be happy with it, and the reasoning above is a loose translation of what he said.

TD_Klondike
08-19-2004, 01:15 PM
Disclaimer: I can't figure out if I've already replied to this.

I thought about doing the same thing once, so I consulted a pilot friend of mine who happens to have a B.A. in electronic music, and he said it probably wouldn't be a good idea.

Aviation headsets are designed to cancel many frequencies and bring out voice communications, whereas an audio headset is going to have greater fidelity and cleanliness in reproducing a greater spectrum of sounds.

TD_Klondike
08-19-2004, 01:18 PM
Having problems posting...

I thought about doing the same thing once, so I consulted a pilot friend of mine who happens to have a B.A. in electronic music, and he said it probably wouldn't be a good idea.

Aviation headsets are designed to cancel many frequencies and bring out voice communications, whereas an audio headset is going to have greater fidelity and cleanliness in reproducing a greater spectrum of sounds. You may be disappointed with the aviation headset.

BfHeFwMe
08-19-2004, 01:22 PM
Using rewired stereo modded David Clark military single plug for years. Excellent quality high performance speakers in DC's, but don't use the standard lip mic, replaced it with a PC type mic adapted on to original boom.

Completely cuts out the PC hoover craft fan noise, the liquid filled ear cups are good for hours of comfort.