PDA

View Full Version : P40 the american glider

zugfuhrer
01-27-2004, 03:49 PM
Have you tried to fly the P40 with the engine turned off?
Try that it flies like a glider. Did it had this fine glidepath or is the flightmodel corrupt?

zugfuhrer
01-27-2004, 03:49 PM
Have you tried to fly the P40 with the engine turned off?
Try that it flies like a glider. Did it had this fine glidepath or is the flightmodel corrupt?

biggs222
01-27-2004, 03:58 PM
sorry i tend to fly with the engine on...

but if u like to glide use the hurri

Shan_Hackett
01-27-2004, 04:08 PM
The P40 - in all its varients, suffered from a low speed instability, due in part to the huge radiator intake duct, below the nose. Which meant once the aircraft got below 150mph it became very hard to maintain the hortizontal axis.

The P40 was real twitchy on landings, and take offs, "With" power. so without power, and falling airspeed, she would not hold the horizontal plain for very long at all.

This aspect was pretty well modelled before the 1.2 patch, but other aspects were incorrect - and to an exstent, still are.

il_gufo
01-27-2004, 04:48 PM
Heh, I was thinking the same thing a few days ago. My engine was shot up over Leningrad and I was able to make a dead stick landing back at, crap, I forget the name of the field. Whatever the one northwest of Leningrad is.

Anyway, I was amazed at how far I was able to glide. I was expecting a much greater descent rate. I'll have to try it again on purpose to get the exact glide ratio.

(using version 1.22)

[This message was edited by il_gufo on Tue January 27 2004 at 04:20 PM.]

DaBallz
01-27-2004, 04:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by il_gufo:
Heh, I was thinking the same thing a few days ago. My engine was shot up over Leningrad and I was able to make a dead stick landing back at, crap, I forget the name of the field. Whatever the one northwest of Leningrad is.

Anyway, I was amazed at how far I was able to glide. I was expecting a much greater decent rate. I'll have to try it again on purpose to get the exact glide ratio.

(using version 1.22)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ALL the engine out glide paths are glider like.
The 262 will fly for miles and land like a butterfly.

I tried tham all, all are pretty weird.

Da

LeadSpitter_
01-27-2004, 05:37 PM
all the planes are like that if you havent noticed, weight or winglift has nothing to do with it, all glideslopes without power are insane even to todays aerobatic aircraft

http://www.geocities.com/leadspittersig/LSIG.txt
VIEW MY PAINTSCHEMES HERE (http://www.il2skins.com/?planeidfilter=all&planefamilyfilter=all&screenshotfilter=allskins&countryidfilter=all&authoridfilter=%3ALeadspitter%3A&historicalidfilter=all&Submit=+++Apply+filters++&action=list&ts=1072257400)

DaBallz
01-27-2004, 06:54 PM
Many years ago I was told by a pilot who flew
P-80s, F-84's and Thunderbolts that the engine
out flight characteristics of the P-47 (F-47)
were "like the flight characteristics of a brick".

He said the F-84 had a better glide path (paraphrased, not exact words).

FB is obviously off by a few clicks.

Da