PDA

View Full Version : My Impressions of the Live Demo

crash3
06-05-2012, 12:08 AM
1. Loving the wilderness and the animal gameplay, feels very immersive
2. Climbing/free-running looks very fun cant wait to try it out
3. NPCs actually feel more like real people not just animations, you need to respect them as they appear to have better AI and awareness of you
4. Assuming this wasnt just for the sake of the demo, all the events seem to flow very nicely together, no annoying loading screens!
5. One slight negative, as amazing as the combat appeared, Connor still utterly destroyed any and all of his opponents, he even fought some huge scottish guy who had an axe (one of the archetypes im guessing) and fighting him didnt appear any harder than the regular redcoat opponents. The kill moves look sick, but they all happened so fast I cant help but think the guy with the control was button smashing which is exactly what we dont want for combat
6. Despite my concern about the combat, the gameplay overall appears more varied and challenging but I must say I was a little disappointed to see yet another templar target wimp out and run away so we kill him without out him putting up a fight. I know this could all be for the sake of making the demo look amazing but I hope Connor doesnt do an Ezio and slaughter his way to his goals
7. Graphics look a lot better although with all the uneven terrain, Connor feet didnt always line up with what he was standing on, whether it be ground, branches, buildings or cliff sides but Im not that bothered about that coz the graphics are brilliant compared to previous games
8. In general though I am very impressed by the demo so...

What are your thoughts? :)

danielgervide
06-05-2012, 12:13 AM
Naviagtion is AWSOME, but i think i'm afraid of it because it seems to fit better the controller then my k+m.

The combat animations were kinda off (maybe it was video quality but the tomahawk did not hit the guard in the leg so he would fell in the groun before connor kills him). And yes, the combat looked like button smash like AcB and AcR :S

razaqazy
06-05-2012, 12:27 AM
My thoughts exactly OP but I still find the demo radically different from previous AC games. We all know that Ezio's and Altair's walking and running are almost exactly the same but Connor has that hunting approach and run. I find it............refreshing. The demo also shows how Connor reacts to the environment. That to is miles ahead of AC in previous releases. The peoples in the demo are highly interactive and side missions are automatic, which is great. The combat was sweet and swift however the presenter's hands were mashing on the controller. Overall I say that my expectations have been surpassed far from beyond what i originally imagined.

LoveTwisted
06-05-2012, 12:28 AM
I have never been more excited for a game than I am for ACIII. What was shown at the conference blew my mind. What impressed me the most was how fluid the freerunning is as you jump from tree to tree. Even climbing up the cliffs looked so smooth and realistic, it's amazing. Another thing I noticed and particularly loved is how the npc's actually feel like people, which is awesome. Overall, this is a game I know ill play for days on end, and October 30th needs to get here faster. All that's left is the NA CE's. I hope they're good.

morpheusPrime08
06-05-2012, 12:56 AM
Yes I agree with everyone. Seems like fluidity is the theme for games this year at E3, and AC3 just blew the door open.

P.S. Connor is such a G, his walking/running animation and conbat were so Primal:cool:

SixKeys
06-05-2012, 01:08 AM
-Still not entirely impressed with the snow physics. In the first gameplay trailer we saw (with Connor shooting a fleeing soldier) the branches were actually moving and snow was falling off them while Connor was freerunning through the trees, but there was none of that in the demo.
-The enemy AI seems still not have improved much. The Scottish brute just stood there picking his nose while his friends were getting slaughtered, not making a move to stop Connor.
-I still don't get how aiming works in this game. You can still lock on, but is there some form of free aim involved? When Connor shot those wolves he didn't seem to even need to aim at all, it looks like he shot them in the *** and they just dropped dead instantly.
-Love the new animations, very fluid.
-Can't help but wonder if this game will finally force me to switch to a controller instead of KB + M.
-The new side quest system seems interesting. Don't like how the excla.mation mark shows up so clearly on the screen, it takes away from the realism.
-The short clip at the end of the demo showed a hoodless Connor. Wonder if it's just a cinematic or if we'll be able to remove the hood ourselves?
-When Connor is hunting the deer, he drops down from the trees into some bushes and seems to instantly crouch, without needing player input.

Serrachio
06-05-2012, 01:28 AM
-Still not entirely impressed with the snow physics. In the first gameplay trailer we saw (with Connor shooting a fleeing soldier) the branches were actually moving and snow was falling off them while Connor was freerunning through the trees, but there was none of that in the demo.
-The enemy AI seems still not have improved much. The Scottish brute just stood there picking his nose while his friends were getting slaughtered, not making a move to stop Connor.
-I still don't get how aiming works in this game. You can still lock on, but is there some form of free aim involved? When Connor shot those wolves he didn't seem to even need to aim at all, it looks like he shot them in the *** and they just dropped dead instantly.
-Love the new animations, very fluid.
-Can't help but wonder if this game will finally force me to switch to a controller instead of KB + M.
-The new side quest system seems interesting. Don't like how the excla.mation mark shows up so clearly on the screen, it takes away from the realism.
-The short clip at the end of the demo showed a hoodless Connor. Wonder if it's just a cinematic or if we'll be able to remove the hood ourselves?
-When Connor is hunting the deer, he drops down from the trees into some bushes and seems to instantly crouch, without needing player input.

I share these points with SixKeys here, but one thing I couldn't shake was Connor's chubby face and how much it reminded me of Young Ezio. I was kinda expecting a little bit more of a chiseled jawline.

Citizen War
06-05-2012, 01:38 AM
Agree with the comments... it is definitely a fluid experience. I love how fast everything worked in the little frontier encampment. The automatic optional side quests from the dialogue, the way the npcs moved, the way that you initiated conversation with your pal and then just got going on the mission. It almost seems TOO automatic, too easy.

Very impressed though with the AI, the combat style, the environment, the design... shaping up to be the best AC yet. Very refreshing. I just hope that there is multiplayer.

Assassin_M
06-05-2012, 01:44 AM
Agree with the comments... it is definitely a fluid experience. I love how fast everything worked in the little frontier encampment. The automatic optional side quests from the dialogue, the way the npcs moved, the way that you initiated conversation with your pal and then just got going on the mission. It almost seems TOO automatic, too easy.

Very impressed though with the AI, the combat style, the environment, the design... shaping up to be the best AC yet. Very refreshing. I just hope that there is multiplayer.
There is Multiplayer ;)

pacmanate
06-05-2012, 03:15 AM
Connor looks blacker to me? He also looks more Chubby?

kudos17
06-05-2012, 03:37 AM

Honestly, I find him to share an incredible likeness with the actor Taylor Lautner.

But seriously, Connor is Native American, and an early one at that. They tended to look like that.

He's definitely not black, no, but he has darker skin.

Fairus60
06-05-2012, 03:54 AM
I was impressed with both ubi conference demo and sony conference demo. Trailer did fall short either. If there was anything that dissapointed me, that would be no AC character announcement for Playstation All Stars

morpheusPrime08
06-05-2012, 05:43 AM

So because Connor actually has lips, that makes him look blacker? And since he doesn't have a diamond shaped chin, he's chubby?

Khoserkenovich
06-05-2012, 05:53 AM
The AI looks too awkward. Impressive how most of the soldiers just stand there without shooting or anything. Other than that, the game looks good and the animations are superb.

crash3
06-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Also saw the naval combat demo, that looks amazing and I think Connor was fighting alongside british guys, so thats a relief to see, Ubisoft have kept insisting that Connors fighting the Templars but all weve been shown is Connor killing brits.

I hope the combat we saw was from an early stage of the game when we are still getting used to the new combat system so enemy AI isnt that great. I really hope the enemies level up and become more challenging as Connor progresses just like in AC1 as Altair acquired new weapons and skills, Guards became more numerous, tough and aggressive.

Loved the stealth gameplay in Boston even though there wasnt much of it, I like the new 'assassinate from behind a wall' move, hopefully there will be a bigger emphasis on stealth this time which the frontier and naval demos didnt really show

Serrachio
06-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Did anyone else feel that the interaction between Connor and the crewmen on his ship was a little awkward?

When they ask him for directions, he didn't really need to sound almost angry. You can be a strong and stoic type, without having to cut everyone off in an abrupt manner the moment you need to say something.

Assassin_M
06-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Did anyone else feel that the interaction between Connor and the crewmen on his ship was a little awkward?

When they ask him for directions, he didn't really need to sound almost angry. You can be a strong and stoic type, without having to cut everyone off in an abrupt manner the moment you need to say something.
Connor is a bad-***, he doesn't need to go by the norms of us lesser humans..

crash3
06-05-2012, 01:37 PM
It was good to see Connor wearing normal 18th century clothing in the Naval demo. Dont get me wrong the hooded costume does look really cool and predator-like but it does look pretty conspicuous especially in that Boston demo

I think connor should have taken those wolves' skins even though he messed them up pretty good

I hope the Templar information videos from AC2 make a return in AC3, I actually want to know about the people Im killing or else they just feel like another NPC. Also I hope Connor actually has decent 'post-assassination' conversations with his victims, like Altair had in AC1, not the short, meaningless ones Ezio had.

I'd quite like to see a demo with an American or non-British templar

Assassin_M
06-05-2012, 01:42 PM
It was good to see Connor wearing normal 18th century clothing in the Naval demo. Dont get me wrong the hooded costume does look really cool and predator-like but it does look pretty conspicuous especially in that Boston demo

I think connor should have taken those wolves' skins even though he messed them up pretty good

I hope the Templar information videos from AC2 make a return in AC3, I actually want to know about the people Im killing or else they just feel like another NPC. Also I hope Connor actually has decent 'post-assassination' conversations with his victims, like Altair had in AC1, not the short, meaningless ones Ezio had.

You wont..
They dont want to spoil the game..

BBALive
06-05-2012, 01:46 PM

The target in the Frontier demo was 'American'.

Assassin_M
06-05-2012, 01:48 PM
The target in the Frontier demo was 'American'.
You mean a British wearing blue ?

SixKeys
06-05-2012, 01:53 PM
Can we not with the "there were no Americans at the time!" semantics, please? We know they were technically all Brits, but most people will think of the events in terms of Americans vs. Brits and we all know the bluecoats ended up becoming the first Americans.

playassassins1
06-05-2012, 01:54 PM
The demo was SUPER impressive. Only one thing, the beginning scene where he was running was very weird.... His movement was very fast, and the way he moved between those trees was super fast.

Other than that, The combat was amazing, surprisingly amazing! Tree running was just like in the first trailer! (Almost the same).
Can't wait to see more!

Assassin_M
06-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Can we not with the "there were no Americans at the time!" semantics, please? We know they were technically all Brits, but most people will think of the events in terms of Americans vs. Brits and we all know the bluecoats ended up becoming the first Americans.
You mean the Blue coated British who decided to rebel against their empire ?

BBALive
06-05-2012, 02:00 PM
You mean a British wearing blue ?

Depends whether or not the demo took place after the Declaration of Independence was signed.

The target was Silas Deane, he was born in America, so he is technically an American.

Assassin_M
06-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Depends whether or not the demo took place after the Declaration of Independence was signed.

The target was Silas Deane, he was born in America, so he is technically an American.
Silas Deane died in 1789 and the demo is in 1776..

SixKeys
06-05-2012, 02:03 PM
You mean the Blue coated British who decided to rebel against their empire ?

Yes, those ones. Those are the ancestors of the people we now call Americans and therefore it's logical to refer to the bluecoats as Americans in the context of this game. Otherwise every frickin' post on these forums will run like this: "I liked the demo, but I wish Connor would have killed some blue-coated-British-who-decided-to-rebel-against-their-empire as well as the red-coated-British-who-were-defending-their-empire. It just seems like this game will be all blue-coated-British-who decided-to-rebel-against-their-empire, rah rah. In the name of balance Connor should kill both blue-coated-British-who-decided-to-rebel-against-their-empire as well as the red-coated-British-who-were-defending-their-empire in equal numbers."

Assassin_M
06-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Yes, those ones. Those are the ancestors of the people we now call Americans and therefore it's logical to refer to the bluecoats as Americans in the context of this game. Otherwise every frickin' post on these forums will run like this: "I liked the demo, but I wish Connor would have killed some blue-coated-British-who-decided-to-rebel-against-their-empire as well as the red-coated-British-who-were-defending-their-empire. It just seems like this game will be all blue-coated-British-who decided-to-rebel-against-their-empire, rah rah. In the name of balance Connor should kill both blue-coated-British-who-decided-to-rebel-against-their-empire as well as the red-coated-British-who-were-defending-their-empire in equal numbers."
Hahahahahaha Made my day, man xD
I agree with ya, we`v all been there..hmmm Maybe I`ll make a thread discussing the image created for the conflict by the CGI trailer, because I believe the essence of the "grey area" is found in that trailer. The monologue, scenes etc..

crash3
06-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Is it me or did that big Scottish guy with the massive axe just stand there and let Connor kill him? I was expecting more of a fight from him. I hope what we saw was the absolute basic type of enemy or else I fear that combat for AC3 will be another killing spree

Vex_Assassin
06-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Silas Deane died in 1789 and the demo is in 1776..
This. Also, the game ends in 1783 so we won't be killing Silas Deane. I wonder who that Silas is though... Ubi stated that every person we'll be killing has a name and really took part of the revolution.

johnnyhayek
06-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Also, Silas Deane was poisoned or fell ill, not stabbed with a musket.

luckyto
06-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Good lord, people, it's a game. Not a history book.

Connor should never be siding with "people defending an Empire." That has nothing to do with the Creed since AC1. Freedom. Period. Sorry, Brits, you were on the wrong side in 1776. Get over it. You can't honestly sit here and defend tyrannical rule by monarchy? Altair killed guards from all sides. Ezio killed guards from all sides. But their targets were always Templars. Same here. Nothing new. The Assassin's Order has always been about "freeing" people to make their own choices.

Serrachio
06-05-2012, 05:44 PM
Good lord, people, it's a game. Not a history book.

I know it is, but Ubisoft said themselves that they like to keep as closely as they can to factual information. It'll be a little hard to explain as Silas Deane if there was an 11 year gap between Deane's death and the Silas that was portrayed, unless there is a piece of historic documents that supports that.

playassassins1
06-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Also, Silas Deane was poisoned or fell ill, not stabbed with a musket.

They didn't say they will reenact his death. They only said that he would die in the same year as the real target.

luckyto
06-05-2012, 05:49 PM
I know it is, but Ubisoft said themselves that they like to keep as closely as they can to factual information. It'll be a little hard to explain as Silas Deane if there was an 11 year gap between Deane's death and the Silas that was portrayed, unless there is a piece of historic documents that supports that.

I hear you. But they said in their earliest Dev interviews that it was very hard to come up with "targets" and historical figures for this time period. I wish I remembered which one of the dev interviews or I'd post a link, but they did insinuate that they had to take a lot of liberty with people's deaths.

I think the main accuracy is going to be in art direction, not story specifics. That's always been the case, I believe. This city looked this way, and buildings looked that way, and people dressed this way; and these people lived in this time period. I wouldn't put any more stock in it past those types of details.

D173120T
06-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Well so far i havent seen ANYTHING that makes me WANT to buy this.The so called Naval Warfare is terrible!Remove it!Also where is this so called HUGE Frontier?It took the injun no time at all to get to the fort from the campsite,they would have heard his galloping horse for miles!!!It looks choppy,i dont like the story,and i dont think its in keeping with the AC franchise.Yooure goning to have to do a hell of a lot more work to make me remotely interested in this.

playassassins1
06-05-2012, 06:08 PM
Well so far i havent seen ANYTHING that makes me WANT to buy this.The so called Naval Warfare is terrible!Remove it!Also where is this so called HUGE Frontier?It took the injun no time at all to get to the fort from the campsite,they would have heard his galloping horse for miles!!!It looks choppy,i dont like the story,and i dont think its in keeping with the AC franchise.Yooure goning to have to do a hell of a lot more work to make me remotely interested in this.

Well the campsite happened to be close to the fort. Otherwise it would be hard to take care of the injured troops. And you can't proof that the Frontier isn't Huge. They aren't going to give you a tour of the WHOLE Frontier....... We haven't even seen that much of the Frontier; Besides, they haven't even showed us a map of the Frontier, saying how big, or small it is.

Thats my opinion, I respect yours.

Azurefeatherfly
06-05-2012, 06:14 PM

Do you seriously expect Ubisoft to use mere minutes of on stage time to bore gamers with the traversal of the frontier?

What exactly is the story and plot of the AC3, when did Ubisoft reveal anything about the 30 years of Connor's Journey other than killing Templars?

Naval Warfare was awesome in my opinion, the fact that Assassins are knowledge seekers and explorers flourished during that age really fits with this game.

Each to his own, I guess.

GeneralTrumbo
06-05-2012, 06:16 PM
First of all, how is the naval warfare terrible? It actually DID happen in that time period during the revolution and it looks great. I just think you are looking for things to complain about. You are the only one I have seen who thinks that about the naval warfare. How do you know what the frontier looks like? We barely got shown any of it!

luckyto
06-05-2012, 06:26 PM
The Naval Warfare system look frikkin KILLER! You are nuts, bro. That's an incredible surprise ...

D173120T
06-05-2012, 06:57 PM
First of all, how is the naval warfare terrible? It actually DID happen in that time period during the revolution and it looks great. I just think you are looking for things to complain about. You are the only one I have seen who thinks that about the naval warfare. How do you know what the frontier looks like? We barely got shown any of it!

Look,i am NOT complaining.i am stating my own personal opinion about what i have thus far seen.Lets take the Naval bit,the ship seems to be powered not by sail but by a HUGE engine,they NEVER could make way that fast,also "Wearing Ship" and "Going about" in a square rigger took a long time,in AC3 its like sailing a modern sailing dinghy.Then the shooting.very poorly done.I took a long time to load a broadside once discharged.If you think Naval Warfare was actually like the vid then you really need tp do some more research.Whats with all the spinning of the Wheel on the ship?It doesnt look like its connected to anything.Its just impossible to do it and makes the game look dumbed down(maybe thats why you like it?).As to the size of wilderness,again its MY opinion untill i see otherwise i can only go on what i have seen,and so far its not impressive.

playassassins1
06-05-2012, 07:03 PM
As much as I don't like your opinion. Its still your opinion.

SleezeRocker
06-05-2012, 07:13 PM
It was cool! very actiony, loved the scene were Connor Liam-Neeson'd the wolves lol, and I didn't mind mind to the two show-hosts in beginning of E3 Ubi conference.

I'll be honest I didn't really like that host woman (was it Alicia or something) nor Toby much :/
they kind of had lame comedy going on but eh, all I really cared for was AC3, evidently AC3 Liberation and ZombiU looked cool...but not fully justifiable for me to get a Wii U just yet ;)

luckyto
06-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Look,i am NOT complaining.i am stating my own personal opinion about what i have thus far seen.Lets take the Naval bit,the ship seems to be powered not by sail but by a HUGE engine,they NEVER could make way that fast,also "Wearing Ship" and "Going about" in a square rigger took a long time,in AC3 its like sailing a modern sailing dinghy.Then the shooting.very poorly done.I took a long time to load a broadside once discharged.If you think Naval Warfare was actually like the vid then you really need tp do some more research.Whats with all the spinning of the Wheel on the ship?It doesnt look like its connected to anything.Its just impossible to do it and makes the game look dumbed down(maybe thats why you like it?).As to the size of wilderness,again its MY opinion untill i see otherwise i can only go on what i have seen,and so far its not impressive.

Holy snikes. It's a game.

Or the bow-hunting of the deer in the forest. To kill a deer and have it drop on one shot, you would never shoot at where they aimed (in the middle of the body), If you hit it there, it would run for a mile or so before dropping, at least. To get an instant kill, You aim right above the front shoulder to pierce the lung....

but nitpicking that kind of thing in a video game is just redonkulous.

crash3
06-05-2012, 11:05 PM
Saw the Boston demo where the guy with the control actually took damage, Im liking the new health system, I looks like you can take 5 hits max before you die and you cant heal during combat, only when you are trying to escape and become hidden again. The citizens seemed to react more realistically looking frightened but I hope there are more serious consequences for starting a fight in a crowded urban area. Hopefully theres some kind of revamped version of the notoriety system where the less stealthy you are and the more fighting you do, the more numerous and elite types of enemies there are or something like that. Im still not convinced by the big Scottish guys with the axes, they dont appear to be any harder to fight than the regular line infantry enemies-but it was still a relief to actually see the assassin in a demo taking damage. I remember the AC1 demo where altair died from one sword hit which of course is realistic but Id say 3 to 5 hits is about right for a game

A slight negative here, I thought Connor escaped too quickly, surely the soldiers wouldnt give up that quick-he started running the assassin symbol turned from red to yellow almost instantly then he ran through a building and he was no longer being chased after about 10 seconds. I think it should be harder to escape and you should actually find a hiding place like in AC1 and not just continously run out in the open and expect these highly trained soldiers to give up the chase

What do you think?

Codemaster247
06-06-2012, 02:03 AM
I hope that is what Connor will look like in the final game. I don't like it when they change the looks of the character when its released like in AC2, ACB, and maybe ACR a bit. Its just the small changes they make that annoy me. Maybe I'm just weird, but who knows? Maybe others feel the same way. Also it looked like he wasn't wearing any armor at all so I'm hoping Ubisoft is not going to force players into buying armor where they won't be able to remove it.

Assassin_M
06-06-2012, 02:27 AM
Do tell me more about the map of the Frontier that you saw..
and the leaked copy of Assassins Creed III that you have..