PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft Settles Assassin’s Creed Lawsuit

pacmanate
05-29-2012, 11:02 PM
The lawsuit from author John Beiswenger, claiming that large parts of the Assassin’s Creed story were stolen from his book, Link, has been settled out of court. Ubisoft and Beiswenger have reached a settlement that will prevent a release delay of Assassin’s Creed III view Beiswenger’s voluntary dismissal of the suit. However, the terminology still leaves things open from Beiswenger to re-open the suit further down the line, and he claims that he still stands behind his belief that the source material is originally his. His representative had the following to say:

“My client’s decision to exercise his right to voluntarily dismiss the action, without prejudice, in no way diminishes his stalwart conviction in the merit of his claims against Ubisoft. He is unwavering in his belief that many key components of the Assassin’s Creed video game franchise infringe on many key components of his novel, Link. We believe Ubisoft has engaged in egregious acts of copyright infringement and, should he choose to seek redress through the courts in the future, we remain confident that a trier of fact would agree.”

For those that haven’t kept up with the story, Beiswenger claims that the ideas for the technology used in the Animus device were first presented in his book, Link, a self-published novel that had very little circulation. Those same ideas were also present in books prior to Link, and this settlement basically proves that the whole suit was likely just a cash-grab by a failed author trying to make some quick coin.

Source: http://www.gamesta.com/ubisoft-settles-assassins-creed-lawsuit/

notafanboy
05-29-2012, 11:09 PM
he probably doesn´t even know what assassin´s creed is. He´s just trying to make a quick buck

Assassin_M
05-29-2012, 11:14 PM
He is still trying to be a Bad ***.

danielgervide
05-29-2012, 11:48 PM
I hated how assassin's creed community acted against him... it's not your war guys...

I personally don't believe Assasin's Creed idea was stolen from his book but giving 0 star reviews or whatever you have done was just stupid.... I've heard it's a good book but i don't like reading so i won't take it but what you have done was just WORST then what he did...

He might have his reasons for doing the lawsuit but you didn't have reasons for doing that. He dropped the lawsuit cause you all made him gain a really bad reputation.

Assassin_M
05-29-2012, 11:54 PM
I hated how assassin's creed community acted against him... it's not your war guys...

I personally don't believe Assasin's Creed idea was stolen from his book but giving 0 star reviews or whatever you have done was just stupid.... I've heard it's a good book but i don't like reading so i won't take it but what you have done was just WORST then what he did...

He might have his reasons for doing the lawsuit but you didn't have reasons for doing that. He dropped the lawsuit cause you all made him gain a really bad reputation.
WE are the Assassins Creed community..
The others who were all over his book on amazon are just childish idiots..

rileypoole1234
05-29-2012, 11:58 PM
So they still think Ubi infringed that guy's ideas out of his book?

That's a rather stupid thing to think.

kudos17
05-30-2012, 12:02 AM

Really? I've heard it was a genuinely bad book, this whole lawsuit aside.

Regardless, Beiswenger seems like he really believes he was copied. I seriously, seriously doubt, however, that anyone at Ubisoft read this really unnoticed novel and went "Huh, that would make a great game". I'm sorry, that's just so out of the realm of possibility.

Not to mention the whole setting of the first Assassin's Creed was set in stone while it was still a Prince of Persia title. So those elements, they definitely did not steal (not to mention it's actual history). I don't know how closely his Animus resembles our version, but again - very much doubt it was stolen. Contrary to apparent popular belief, two entirely different people CAN sprout similar ideas in storytelling fiction. Especially when they sprout from the same branch of the same pseudo-science.

TheHumanTowel
05-30-2012, 12:04 AM
I hope they didn't give that opportunistic hack a cent. Hopefully now this episode is behind us and this nobody can sink back into obscurity with his terrible books.

luckyto
05-30-2012, 12:43 AM
It's not that far out actually. A good part of any major video game or film is pre-production research. Ubi has stated previously that some of the source material in AC1 came from a novel about the history of the Assassin's order (can't remember the name, but it is a book from the early twentieth century). It is likely that they purchased several books to use as inspiration during the early stages. Ubi may have felt it had tweaked the idea and made it their own; but he disagreed. If his book predates AC1 and contains an Animus-like device; then his lawsuit has some merit.

OR it is just freak coincidence and Ubi came up with the idea on their, not unplausible either.

SixKeys
05-30-2012, 12:48 AM
This was to be expected. Not necessarily because the guy didn't have a legitimate case (even though it's doubtful) but because one person going against a multi-billion corporation almost never ends in their favor. I still think it's appalling how unfairly he has been judged and treated by the AC fanbase.

danielgervide
05-30-2012, 12:52 AM
I still think it's appalling how unfairly he has been judged and treated by the AC fanbase.

So you resumed my words,,, thank you!

Acrimonious_Nin
05-30-2012, 02:41 AM
Thank god...now there is no more war....>_> for now.....

gamertam
05-30-2012, 02:52 AM
Had been settled out of court? confirmed? would he be entitled to a small fee? or this is it? he won't see one red cent.

Acrimonious_Nin
05-30-2012, 03:01 AM
Red cent? you been copper ?

NewBlade200
05-30-2012, 03:22 AM

Not to sound too self important, but it is our war. He tried to take (or at least delay) the release of AC3. Thats a punishable by death in multiple countries

Moultonborough
05-30-2012, 03:26 AM
Pretty much he only stopped the lawsuit because he could not pay for it. The article in the other topic has a good quote for it.

odovoro
05-30-2012, 04:03 AM
WE are the Assassins Creed community..
The others who were all over his book on amazon are just childish idiots..

Oh i like this!

luckyto
05-30-2012, 07:20 AM
This was to be expected. Not necessarily because the guy didn't have a legitimate case (even though it's doubtful) but because one person going against a multi-billion corporation almost never ends in their favor. I still think it's appalling how unfairly he has been judged and treated by the AC fanbase.
And that rabidity is why Ubi churns out games with annual releases that are a fraction of the game that AC2 or AC1 was... and get away with it.

the guy could have been a money-hound though... the world is full of them. but it's not my business.

freddie_1897
05-30-2012, 07:43 AM
Ahem, link was published in 2003, the idea for AC1 was in 2002

twenty_glyphs
05-30-2012, 08:13 AM
This guy has been treated unfairly, but his relatively weak case and appearance of trying to ride the gravy train of Assassin's Creed didn't do him any favors. The fact that his claim mentioned the point that his book and AC both featured the battle between good and evil was just a laughing stock and actually made his case appear much weaker in my eyes. You're obviously reaching when that's one of the things you cite as infringing on your work. The appearance of assassins in both works appears to be incredibly weak as well. It seems his book features generic assassins who are attempting to kill people, while AC is actually based on a historic order of assassins whose history is fairly well-documented. This guy did not invent the concept of genetic memory; that's a concept that appears in science fiction throughout the twentieth century, though Assassin's Creed obviously popularized the idea a whole lot for the current generation.

I don't know much about lawyers, but I would think if this guy's case was really good, there would be lawyers willing to take him on without huge upfront costs. Perhaps even his lawyer realized how weak their case was and decided he needed his fees covered now instead of relying on a payout from Ubisoft that was looking unlikely. The fact that the story states that the author is reserving his right to re-file the case tells me he didn't settle with Ubisoft. Settlements always involve the stipulation that you can't sue again over what you just settled over. Otherwise there's no point for a company to settle with you.

The really puzzling aspect of the suit was that GameTrailers was named as a defendant. How could they possibly be legally liable for posting trailers from a franchise that was infringing upon someone else's copyright? Are they seriously expected to check every piece of footage they get against the vast library of literary and video content produced over the last century to ensure that it's not violating someone else's copyright? What about the television networks who ran commercials for AC, or the stores that sold and advertised it, or the other game sites that posted the same content? This requirement would be crazy. I hope GameTrailers just gave the guy a few thousand dollars to go away because it was cheaper than attorney fees to bother with the lawsuit. Involving GameTrailers in this was just a joke, and it still angers me if this guy got any money from them at all.

twenty_glyphs
05-30-2012, 08:13 AM
This guy has been treated unfairly, but his relatively weak case and appearance of trying to ride the gravy train of Assassin's Creed didn't do him any favors. The fact that his claim mentioned the point that his book and AC both featured the battle between good and evil was just a laughing stock and actually made his case appear much weaker in my eyes. You're obviously reaching when that's one of the things you cite as infringing on your work. The appearance of assassins in both works appears to be incredibly weak as well. It seems his book features generic assassins who are attempting to kill people, while AC is actually based on a historic order of assassins whose history is fairly well-documented. This guy did not invent the concept of genetic memory; that's a concept that appears in science fiction throughout the twentieth century, though Assassin's Creed obviously popularized the idea a whole lot for the current generation.

I don't know much about lawyers, but I would think if this guy's case was really good, there would be lawyers willing to take him on without huge upfront costs. Perhaps even his lawyer realized how weak their case was and decided he needed his fees covered now instead of relying on a payout from Ubisoft that was looking unlikely. The fact that the story states that the author is reserving his right to re-file the case tells me he didn't settle with Ubisoft. Settlements always involve the stipulation that you can't sue again over what you just settled over. Otherwise there's no point for a company to settle with you.

The really puzzling aspect of the suit was that GameTrailers was named as a defendant. How could they possibly be legally liable for posting trailers from a franchise that was infringing upon someone else's copyright? Are they seriously expected to check every piece of footage they get against the vast library of literary and video content produced over the last century to ensure that it's not violating someone else's copyright? What about the television networks who ran commercials for AC, or the stores that sold and advertised it, or the other game sites that posted the same content? This requirement would be crazy. I hope GameTrailers just gave the guy a few thousand dollars to go away because it was cheaper than attorney fees to bother with the lawsuit. Involving GameTrailers in this was just a joke, and it still angers me if this guy got any money from them at all.

GLHS
05-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Yeah, GI just put up a full article confirming this too. It wasn't Ubisoft who settled it either. It was Game Trailers. They were the first to step up and give this guy money, so he's backing off from Ubisoft cuz he got what he wanted. It just proves that's all he wanted and the majority of us are right. Especially since he still believes they stole his ideas. What a ret@rd.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/05/29/assassin_2700_s-creed-lawsuit-voluntarily-dismissed.aspx

Assassin_M
05-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Yeah, GI just put up a full article confirming this too. It wasn't Ubisoft who settled it either. It was Game Trailers. They were the first to step up and give this guy money, so he's backing off from Ubisoft cuz he got what he wanted. It just proves that's all he wanted and the majority of us are right. Especially since he still believes they stole his ideas. What a ret@rd.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/05/29/assassin_2700_s-creed-lawsuit-voluntarily-dismissed.aspx
Wasnt it obvious that he just wanted Money ? I mean.. come on.. 5 Years ? Suing the Series after 5 games ?

Mr_Shade
05-30-2012, 05:08 PM
lets not try to guess his motives..

It's over with for now, so lets let it be ;)

danielgervide
05-30-2012, 05:08 PM
Wasnt it obvious that he just wanted Money ? I mean.. come on.. 5 Years ? Suing the Series after 5 games ?

Ofc, he saw the potential of the franchise and waited for the last release to deman the cancellation of it or get some extra money. Sadly we don't know how much he earned :X

Let's face the facts, everyone would have done the same he did... we are all money lovers :D

egriffin09
05-30-2012, 05:16 PM
I'm just happy it's settled and it won't delay the game. I can remember at one point during this lawsuit, that it could possibly halt or delay the production of AC III. Like Shade said, let's move on, its over and done with. Still looking forward to E3 (which is in only a few days yes!!!!) and the release of the full retail game on Oct 30th.

SleezeRocker
05-30-2012, 05:20 PM
It's over with for now, so lets let it be ;)

This over 9000!
We get AC3 as planned, E3 drops next week, Our problem is we're too good-looking, lets get back to gaming, talking randomly of Ac universe and memeing :) lol

twenty_glyphs
05-30-2012, 05:34 PM
As EscoBlades said many times, I highly doubt AC3 was ever in danger of not being released on time this year. If a judge ever got close to the point of ordering a ban on sales of AC stuff, they would have just paid the guy to go away and drop the suit. Paying the guy off would have probably required at most $5 million, which the author was asking for in his claim, and they probably could have settled for less. They have much, much more money invested in AC3's production than $5 million, and it would have cost them more than $5 million in the end to delay or cancel the game. So one way or another, AC3 was going to come out on time this year.

Mr_Shade
05-30-2012, 05:47 PM
This over 9000!
We get AC3 as planned, E3 drops next week, Our problem is we're too good-looking, lets get back to gaming, talking randomly of Ac universe and memeing :) lol
Indeed...

Only less of the memes...

pacmanate
05-30-2012, 06:30 PM
indeed...

Only more of the memes...

okay :d

freddie_1897
05-30-2012, 06:35 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWL2czaXdXL23njKTXZn_u4HNBwsPK4 RR0B0KeBwF1Rzgc5WtZ

Mr_Shade
05-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Always one...

freddie_1897
05-30-2012, 08:50 PM
Always one...
I shall not be silenced!

Unless you ban me, that would suck

xx-pyro
05-31-2012, 12:57 AM
Indeed...

Only less of the memes...