PDA

View Full Version : jesper kyd?

DylanJosh9
05-29-2012, 09:41 PM
Is there any confirmation that he'll be returning for AC3?

lonewarrior30
05-29-2012, 09:43 PM
well..he did the score for all the other games..but I really hope he comes back in AC3

Aphex_Tim
05-29-2012, 09:56 PM
Yeah, he's back alright! :)

Assassin_M
05-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Confirmation ? No.
Speculation ? Most likely
I can; however, confirm Lorne Bolfe`s return. I think I read it somewhere..Can`t remember right now

notafanboy
05-29-2012, 11:12 PM
Confirmation ? No.
Speculation ? Most likely
I can; however, confirm Lorne Bolfe`s return. I think I read it somewhere..Can`t remember right now

i hope they donīt use his music 50% of the time like in ACR, ACRīs main theme were so overused, good, but overused.

rileypoole1234
05-30-2012, 12:03 AM
i hope they donīt use his music 50% of the time like in ACR, ACRīs main theme were so overused, good, but overused.

It wouldn't fit with the setting at all, so there's no way they'll be using it.

I hope they use a lot of Native American influences and some Colonial drums and whatever that horn thing is for the soundtrack.

Assassin_M
05-30-2012, 12:05 AM
It wouldn't fit with the setting at all, so there's no way they'll be using it.

I hope they use a lot of Native American influences and some Colonial drums and whatever that horn thing is for the soundtrack.
I believe he wasnt referring to that specific soundtrack,but rather any soundtrack that might be over used

rileypoole1234
05-30-2012, 12:40 AM
I believe he wasnt referring to that specific soundtrack,but rather any soundtrack that might be over used

Well in that case yes I agree. I want to hear loads of different tracks for all different situations.

SixKeys
05-30-2012, 12:44 AM
This is just my opinion, but I believe part of the reason so much of the music in ACR was repetitive (though still good) was most likely due to time constraints. It's probably the reason they called in Lorne Balfe to do half the music. Jesper Kyd had just finished scoring ACB and was probably simultaneously busy with AC3.

danielgervide
05-30-2012, 12:53 AM
and was probably simultaneously busy with AC3.

if so this game will have the best OST ever heard :D

BATISTABUS
05-30-2012, 01:37 AM
I'm sure we won't be disappointed. The era has a very distinct musical sound, and I'm just excited to see what we get.

Also, hopefully we get something like this. http://youtu.be/2jj0Mk2deNc

Assassin_M
05-30-2012, 01:39 AM
I dont know..
That soundtrack sounds too Medieval, although I really like it, I dont think it could work with AC III.

BATISTABUS
05-30-2012, 02:24 AM
From :33 to :49 it is very Medieval/Renaissance sounding, but most of the rest of it sounds really good. I'm hoping for violin parts like after :50 (even though there is some Greensleeves influence in that part, too).

Then again, I'm not an expert on the music of different eras, so as far as I know that could all be appropriate.

EDIT:

In this video, it sounds like the background music might be a sneak peak at some of the tracks for the game...
http://youtu.be/FBOiecckZI0

loomer979
05-30-2012, 07:06 AM
Lorne has been confirmed, Jesper hasn't. You can also hear Lorne's new AC3 theme in the road to E3 video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ8lCUkmmDU

twenty_glyphs
05-30-2012, 07:43 AM
Lorne has been confirmed, Jesper hasn't. You can also hear Lorne's new AC3 theme in the road to E3 video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ8lCUkmmDU

Ugh, this still makes no sense to me. They did the exact same thing last year. Whose brilliant idea is it to confirm a newcomer to the series who fans aren't in love with as composer and wait until shortly before release to reveal that the fan favorite composer is returning? That move didn't build any hype for Revelations, it just caused a lot of us fans of the music to panic for months and bombard people like UbiGabe with questions about Jesper returning. I still don't understand the benefit they got by waiting to reveal Jesper's involvement until around 2 months before Revelations came out in a dorky press release that mentioned Lorne Balfe like he was an afterthought when he actually wrote the majority of the music for the game. I wasn't happy or relieved when they revealed that last year, just baffled at the puzzling strategy.

I really hope that the reason Lorne Balfe was brought in was because Jesper was knee-deep in composing tracks for AC3 and knew there was no way he could do it the justice it deserved and score Revelations too. The music was just too disjointed in Revelations with all the switching back and forth between the two musical styles. I really think Revelations suffered without a strong musical theme to tie the music together like Ezio's Family did in AC2, and to a lesser extent Master Assassin and City of Rome in Brotherhood. Balfe's theme was pretty, but felt like an entirely separate entity from the rest of the music. I really hope Revelations' music was rushed, and most of the time went into AC3's score. I just popped in AC2 the other day and was reminded yet again how much the music is the final piece of atmosphere in that game that really sucks you in and makes it feel so alive and unique. Revelations was missing that.

loomer979
05-30-2012, 08:13 AM
Ugh, this still makes no sense to me. They did the exact same thing last year. Whose brilliant idea is it to confirm a newcomer to the series who fans aren't in love with as composer and wait until shortly before release to reveal that the fan favorite composer is returning? That move didn't build any hype for Revelations, it just caused a lot of us fans of the music to panic for months and bombard people like UbiGabe with questions about Jesper returning. I still don't understand the benefit they got by waiting to reveal Jesper's involvement until around 2 months before Revelations came out in a dorky press release that mentioned Lorne Balfe like he was an afterthought when he actually wrote the majority of the music for the game. I wasn't happy or relieved when they revealed that last year, just baffled at the puzzling strategy.

I really hope that the reason Lorne Balfe was brought in was because Jesper was knee-deep in composing tracks for AC3 and knew there was no way he could do it the justice it deserved and score Revelations too. The music was just too disjointed in Revelations with all the switching back and forth between the two musical styles. I really think Revelations suffered without a strong musical theme to tie the music together like Ezio's Family did in AC2, and to a lesser extent Master Assassin and City of Rome in Brotherhood. Balfe's theme was pretty, but felt like an entirely separate entity from the rest of the music. I really hope Revelations' music was rushed, and most of the time went into AC3's score. I just popped in AC2 the other day and was reminded yet again how much the music is the final piece of atmosphere in that game that really sucks you in and makes it feel so alive and unique. Revelations was missing that.

I actually really really liked Lorne's music in ACR but I agree it was very disjoint from Jesper's tracks. Jesper's involvement in AC3 was one of the things I was definitely hoping to clear up with the devs at E3, so stay tuned... I think between me and Esco one of us will hopefully pry out an answer on that haha. Keep in mind that it's absolutely possible that Jesper isn't even working on AC3 though. I hope he is.

twenty_glyphs
05-30-2012, 08:26 AM
I actually really really liked Lorne's music in ACR but I agree it was very disjoint from Jesper's tracks. Jesper's involvement in AC3 was one of the things I was definitely hoping to clear up with the devs at E3, so stay tuned... I think between me and Esco one of us will hopefully pry out an answer on that haha. Keep in mind that it's absolutely possible that Jesper isn't even working on AC3 though. I hope he is.

I appreciate you asking the devs to find out what you can. I liked Balfe's music too, but it just didn't feel like Assassin's Creed to me, which was even more obvious when Jesper's music would play shortly after his. It was lacking the electronic feel that Jesper's music would evoke here and there to remind you about the science fiction. It also felt too much like movie music at times, which is not surprising.

I have kept in mind that Jesper may not have worked on AC3 at all. Between Revelations, the release of his own album last year, and the upcoming Darksiders 2 soundtrack that he's done over the past year, there just may not have been time. I'd hate to see that, and would have preferred him skipping Revelations to missing AC3.

notafanboy
05-30-2012, 12:55 PM
I appreciate you asking the devs to find out what you can. I liked Balfe's music too, but it just didn't feel like Assassin's Creed to me, which was even more obvious when Jesper's music would play shortly after his. It was lacking the electronic feel that Jesper's music would evoke here and there to remind you about the science fiction. It also felt too much like movie music at times, which is not surprising.

I have kept in mind that Jesper may not have worked on AC3 at all. Between Revelations, the release of his own album last year, and the upcoming Darksiders 2 soundtrack that he's done over the past year, there just may not have been time. I'd hate to see that, and would have preferred him skipping Revelations to missing AC3.

Jesper isnīt working on the new hitman game either, and look what happened ?! . they replaced his music with some kind of "inception sound".

twenty_glyphs
06-12-2012, 11:14 PM
Well, it's looking more and more like Jesper Kyd is not doing any music for AC3. I asked Loomer on Twitter if he got to ask the developers about Jesper at E3, and he said that Alex (probably Hutchinson) replied with a "no comment". Loomer also said he has the feeling that Jesper isn't working on it.

On top of that, there's almost overwhelming evidence on Lorne Balfe's Twitter account that he is the only composer working on AC3: http://twitter.com/lornebalfe. He doesn't post a lot, but you can see on his account that he traveled to Montreal to meet the AC devs at the end of last November and said he was excited for the next adventure. He specifically says he's working on AC3 a few times after the game was officially announced. Just a couple of days ago someone asked Lorne Balfe if he was working on AC3 solo or jointly like Revelations. His response was "solo".

I had some hope that Jesper was doing the music for AC3 after hearing the music in the Boston demo from E3: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-assassins-creed/731382. It sounds a lot like the instrumentation style of a lot of Jesper's AC music from the past three games. But then I watched the short gameplay trailer that Ubisoft showed at their press conference, and it's obviously the same musical motif from the Boston demo in a very different arrangement that I think is definitely Lorne Balfe's work: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-assassins-creed/731070.

Today I found this interview that Lorne Balfe did back in December or January: http://tracksounds.blogspot.com/2012/01/soundcast-interview-lorne-balfe.html. The parts relevant to AC are from 17:22 through 33:01. At one point he mentions that the current AC game is going to take almost a year of his life, which really makes me think he's writing all the music for AC3. They specifically asked him about working with Jesper Kyd on Revelations, and he said he never met or even talked to him, but he did hear his music so he could know the context that his own cutscene music would have. He says he was trying to craft a musical theme for the franchise that it had never really had because it was previously character themes. He talks about the franchise evolving and changing and moving forward. It almost sounds like all of Jesper's work on ACR was done and they handed it off to Lorne to write the rest of the music. All of that combined with how he sounds when talking about Jesper really makes me think that he was brought in to replace Jesper during Revelations and moving forward. It sounds like Lorne is trying to avoid saying that specifically or saying anything bad about Jesper. Lorne also specifically talks about the haters who didn't like his music or him because he was someone new. That was kind of interesting to see him taking that well and understanding the reality of a passionate fanbase.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions and yell at Ubisoft for kicking Jesper out. First, I guess we're not 100% sure that Jesper won't be working on AC3, though I wouldn't count on it at this point. We don't know why the change is happening, and it could very well be that Jesper himself wanted to move on from the franchise. If you read interviews with him and look at his upcoming work, he seems to be incredibly busy scoring a lot of games and TV series these days. Maybe he just wanted to move on to other things himself. Maybe he just wants to take a break from the franchise for a while. We'll probably never know for sure.

I've progressed through the stages of grief and have come to accept that Jesper is probably not writing music for AC3. I've also remembered that the music from AC1 was good but never really impressed me that much. AC2's soundtrack was incredible, but Brotherhood's overall quality dropped off except for about 6 tracks that I thought were fantastic. Jesper's work on Revelations was good, but not as as memorable for me. When I think back on it, it's actually always been Lorne Balfe's music from Revelations that I remember the most. Especially the music from the end, which really made the ending feel epic to me. I really like the music in the Boston demo from E3 as well as the E3 cinematic trailer, so my hopes are still high for the music in AC3. Maybe it will even help rekindle that magical fresh feeling that AC2 had for me.

xx-pyro
06-12-2012, 11:39 PM
if so this game will have the best OST ever heard :D

Assuming its soundtrack is better than Dragon Age: Origins :cool: The soundtrack would be my last worry, there are plenty of great composers out there and Jesper Kyd is just one of them. From the slight bits I've personally heard, I'm enjoying the feel of the music.

EDIT: In response to the post above, I completely agree with the last point you make. As I mentioned before, there are plenty of incredible composers out there, and if Lorne Balfe is composing for AC3 solo there is nothing to worry about. As you guys also mentioned, a lot of the time combined creative thinking ends up with disjointed results, so a solo composer in my opinion usually comes through with a superior result.

MT4K
06-13-2012, 12:04 AM
EDIT: In response to the post above, I completely agree with the last point you make. As I mentioned before, there are plenty of incredible composers out there, and if Lorne Balfe is composing for AC3 solo there is nothing to worry about. As you guys also mentioned, a lot of the time combined creative thinking ends up with disjointed results, so a solo composer in my opinion usually comes through with a superior result.

As much as i agree with this i still cannot help but think it would have been nice to have Jesper involved to at least finish off the Desmond saga :P. Either way though the soundtrack is going to be awesome indeed :D.

brick177
06-13-2012, 12:17 AM
Are there any exemplars of the AC3 music yet?

ConorMcA
06-13-2012, 12:40 AM
According to Balfe in the previously mentioned interview, he was brought onto the AC series to create a main theme for the entire franchise, so that regardless of setting/ancestor/time-period, Assassin's Creed would have a singular iconic theme.

If Jesper isn't coming back, he may have decided he's had his fill of composing an AC game year after year. Perhaps Balfe's additional compositions for ACR's multiplayer were to test the water in preparation for taking the reigns in AC3.

Assassin_M
06-13-2012, 12:44 AM
From what I`v heard from Lorne in ACR, I can honestly say that the OST is in safe hands..
Now..... who`s gonna boycott AC III because It doesn't include ol` Jesper ?

MT4K
06-13-2012, 12:51 AM
From what I`v heard from Lorne in ACR, I can honestly say that the OST is in safe hands..

A call of duty styled boycott that had loads of said people playing the game regardless? :P.

Assassin_M
06-13-2012, 12:54 AM
A call of duty styled boycott that had loads of said people playing the game regardless? :P.
Yes that one..
I mean We`v had people hating it for showing killing the holy red coats, so why not because of not having Jesper Kyd ? It MAKES SENSE !!

notafanboy
06-13-2012, 12:55 AM
hopefully it wonīt be as monotonous as ACRīs theme, i swear they used it 9876 times in the game

Evenesque
06-13-2012, 02:15 AM
If it keeps the theme of the exit scene in the Boston demo, I'll be overjoyed. I want to hear that entire song so bad.

De Filosoof
06-13-2012, 03:01 AM
I want Jesper Kyd.
I'm afraid it will feel kinda gimmicky when Lorne is making the whole soundtrack.
Now don't get me wrong, i liked his music in ACR but Jesper Kyd knows exactly how to get the eerie atmosphere right.
Just listen to this, it has AC written all over it :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mn_PIAh72A

I really think they should get the track Aphelion by Jesper kid in AC3. It would be epic for an emotional scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqjbUR-vum0

beatledude210
06-13-2012, 06:32 AM
So, has it been confirmed that Jesper is gone?

FirestarLuva
06-13-2012, 10:39 AM
From what I've heard so far from the soundtrack of AC3 it sounds great and I'm sure it won't be monotonous like ACR, maybe Lorne isn't the only one working on the music? I have nothing against Balfe working on AC3 but I wish Jesper comes back. :(

ProletariatPleb
06-13-2012, 10:41 AM
I just hope the music is good, Jesper is amazing, we all know that, lets hope Lorne is the same.

notafanboy
06-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Today I found this interview that Lorne Balfe did back in December or January: http://tracksounds.blogspot.com/2012/01/soundcast-interview-lorne-balfe.html. The parts .
how the "!#ĪĪ do i listen to it ? canīt find the **** thing

edit- i donīt hate Lorne, i just think it was used too often.

SixKeys
06-13-2012, 03:06 PM
If Jesper Kyd is indeed gone, that makes me very sad and disappointed. I was hoping he would at least be able to finish off Desmond's final chapter before moving on. Kyd's music has been one of the strengths of the series throughout. Balfe's work on Revelations was good, but I honestly don't like the idea of having one "Assassin's Creed theme" for the overall series. They already overused the musical theme in ACR too much, plus I like the idea of each ancestor having distinctly different musical cues. "Ezio's Family" should have remained Ezio's theme to the end.

I can only hope Balfe manages to mix his own style with Kyd's style in AC3. I don't want the electronic sound to disappear from the games in favor of more bombastic, Hans Zimmer-style orchestral pieces.

ShaneO7K
06-13-2012, 03:41 PM
I thought Jesper was currently doing an OST for Class3?

MT4K
06-13-2012, 03:52 PM
I want Jesper Kyd.
I'm afraid it will feel kinda gimmicky when Lorne is making the whole soundtrack.
Now don't get me wrong, i liked his music in ACR but Jesper Kyd knows exactly how to get the eerie atmosphere right.
Just listen to this, it has AC written all over it :

I really think they should get the track Aphelion by Jesper kid in AC3. It would be epic for an emotional scene.

I always liked the aphelion track. it would make a great piece of music for the credits or something and would also serve as like a final goodbye from jesper :)

I usually use this link though because it has a built in auto repeat function :D - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0mYh4yycaY

freddie_1897
06-13-2012, 03:52 PM
well lets give lorne a chance anyway

Aphex_Tim
06-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Hmm, i'd be kinda bummed if this is true. Lorne is a good composer but his music sounds too cinematic to me, almost generic even.
Jesper Kyd's music always sounds very special to me.
I'll never forget how AC2's soundtrack created such a beautiful atmosphere that had me in awe and completely dragged me into the game.
I wanna feel something like that again.

Will_Lucky
06-13-2012, 06:15 PM
I own the Revelations OST, and I tend to keep Balfes music in a section I don't use at all. If he is returning to do the AC3 soundtrack solo then I'll be extremely disappointed, I just don't feel anything for his music at all while Kyd on the other hand is the exact opposite.

I'll remain optimistic but honestly given his past work thats probably pushing it for my tastes.

Assassin_M
06-13-2012, 06:17 PM
I own the Revelations OST, and I tend to keep Balfes music in a section I don't use at all. If he is returning to do the AC3 soundtrack solo then I'll be extremely disappointed, I just don't feel anything for his music at all while Kyd on the other hand is the exact opposite.

I'll remain optimistic but honestly given his past work thats probably pushing it for my tastes.
So you honestly do not listen to the Assassins Creed Revelations main theme ?

Captain Tomatoz
06-13-2012, 06:26 PM
In my opinion the ACR main theme was the best song that Lorne did. As someone said before, his other pieces sounded to cinematic to me. I prefer Jesper's style a lot more and, to me, it added to the immersion. I still feel that Ezio's Family is the best song of the games so far and would have preferred that to have become the main theme, but ah well :D.

However I'm not upset to see Jesper go, we haven't played AC3 yet and by the sounds of the Boston music it seems to be going great. Give Lorne a chance, he may surprise you :D

Assassin_M
06-13-2012, 06:27 PM
In my opinion the ACR main theme was the best song that Lorne did. As someone said before, his other pieces sounded to cinematic to me. I prefer Jesper's style a lot more and, to me, it added to the immersion. I still feel that Ezio's Family is the song of the games so far and would have preferred that to have become the main theme, but ah well :D.

However I'm not upset to see Jesper go, we haven't played AC3 yet and by the sounds of the Boston music it seems to be going great. Give Lorne a change, he may surprise you :D
I agree, If its supposed to be a fresh experience then give it a chance to be fresh from every angle and perspective...
just not the voice actors.... PLEASE DON'T CHANGE THE VOICE ACTORS AGAIN !!

Will_Lucky
06-13-2012, 06:32 PM
So you honestly do not listen to the Assassins Creed Revelations main theme ?

Nope, again just not my thing.

Assassin_M
06-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Nope, again just not my thing.
Wow..

SixKeys
06-13-2012, 06:38 PM
Different strokes and all that. I'm probably one of the only people here who thinks "Ezio's Family" is overrated. (I still like it, I just don't think it's the best piece of music in the series.)

Assassin_M
06-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Different strokes and all that. I'm probably one of the only people here who thinks "Ezio's Family" is overrated. (I still like it, I just don't think it's the best piece of music in the series.)
Seconded, buddy..

playassassins1
06-13-2012, 06:45 PM
This is why i like Jesper kyd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF6el8Y_vac&feature=bf_next&list=PL70DE090 A30D93900

FirestarLuva
06-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Lorne also did the soundtrack for the ACB E3 Trailer.

notafanboy
06-13-2012, 07:27 PM
Lorne also did the soundtrack for the ACB E3 Trailer.

i heard he made the theme that can be heard at the end of the "road to e3" video too, so i have faith in him. I just hope it doesnīt sound like anything from Hans zimmer or inception

Aphex_Tim
06-13-2012, 07:33 PM
This is why i like Jesper kyd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF6el8Y_vac&feature=bf_next&list=PL70DE090 A30D93900

This.
I love how Jesper Kyd's music can sound so very subtle, yet powerful; something i haven't heard Lorne do yet.
I could be proven wrong though, i'm looking forward to hearing AC3's soundtrack.

VoXngola
06-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Of course, it's a little sad that Jesper, the man who composed the Soundtrack for AC since the first game, is gone. But honestly, if you ask me, I think it's good the way it is now. The AC1 soundtrack was pretty great, AC 2 was just unbelievably breathtaking and amazing. But since ACB and ACR, I gotta say that the music kinda went "down". Don't get me wrong, I love Jespers music, there are some really amazing tracks like "Master Assassin", "The Brotherhood Escapes" or from ACR "Street Fight" or "Welcome to Konstantiniyye", but it isn't the same quality as the past games.

I feel like Jesper himself wants to take a break from the franchise. Of course I don't know if it's true, but still. AC 3 looks **** incredible, but is also a (finally) whole new experience. And I think we should give Lorne Balfe a Chance, he is a great Composer too. I mean, listen to "Labored and Lost" and "Scheduled for Deletion". They are REALLY good. I hope and think Lorne will surprise us, judging from the little bits of music used during the E3, Boston and Road to E3 videos.

FirestarLuva
06-13-2012, 07:54 PM
i heard he made the theme that can be heard at the end of the "road to e3" video too, so i have faith in him. I just hope it doesnīt sound like anything from Hans zimmer or inception

Oh yes, I liked that one too. :)

kalo.yanis
06-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Nooo! :(
I love Jesper's music. I can listen to his tracks over and over again!

Can't say the same about Lorne. At all.

FirestarLuva
06-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Nooo! :(
I love Jesper's music. I can listen to his tracks over and over again!

Can't say the same about Lorne. At all.

You should give him a chance. :)

Aphex_Tim
06-13-2012, 10:00 PM
I mean, listen to "Labored and Lost" and "Scheduled for Deletion". They are REALLY good.

It's good but for my tastes it's too "epic" and cinematic.
Like i said before, what i love about Kyd's soundtrack is that it sounds so subtle most of the time, yet so powerful and atmospheric.
"Epicness" with huge orchestras and such just doesn't do it for me. It even annoys me in a way and i don't think it fits the AC series at all.
Still, i can't judge AC3's soundtrack yet ofcourse; i'm looking forward to hearing it but i'm afraid i'm gonna be a little disappointed.

notafanboy
06-13-2012, 10:02 PM
Like i said before, what i love about Kyd's soundtrack is that it sounds so subtle most of the time, yet so powerful and atmospheric.
"Epicness" with huge orchestras and such just doesn't do it for me. It even annoys me in a way and i don't think it fits the AC series at all.
Still, i can't judge AC3's soundtrack yet ofcourse; i'm looking forward to hearing it but i'm afraid i'm gonna be a little disappointed.
this.

De Filosoof
06-13-2012, 10:31 PM

Yeah, same for me.

Assassin_M
06-13-2012, 10:33 PM
I believe that was because Lorne`s agenda in ACR was to create the music for cut-scenes and cinematics..
perhaps we will hear different pieces in AC III

VoXngola
06-14-2012, 07:02 PM
It's confirmed now, guys.

Lorne Balfe himself said that he will be the only one who will make the AC3 soundtrack.

https://twitter.com/Lornebalfe/status/213315718823940096

De Filosoof
06-14-2012, 07:16 PM

Lorne Balfe himself said that he will be the only one who will make the AC3 soundtrack.

Sucks...

beatledude210
06-14-2012, 07:24 PM
I wonder what happened with Jesper?

VoXngola
06-14-2012, 07:33 PM
I wonder what happened with Jesper?

I think he is just too busy. You can look at his Website, he is currently working on a game called "Class3", from what I gather it's a zombie game.lol
And a film called RADICAL. Probably some other stuff too. He also recently finished Darksiders 2.

De Filosoof
06-14-2012, 07:55 PM
I listened to many of Lorne Balfe's tracks on his website and i came to conclusion that his music doesn't fit the AC universe at all.
Maybe something like tomb raider but not assassin's creed.
His music is way too "epic", there's almost no subtlely.
I really hope AC won't become a "hollywood blockbuster" with the assassins killing Iraqi terrorists and anarchists (lol) :(

notafanboy
06-14-2012, 07:59 PM

SixKeys
06-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Sad to hear this, though I already suspected it. I'm willing to give Balfe a chance, but I'll still miss Jesper Kyd.

Assassin_M
06-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Sad to hear this, though I already suspected it. I'm willing to give Balfe a chance, but I'll still miss Jesper Kyd.
We`ll all miss him

kalo.yanis
06-14-2012, 10:49 PM
http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001051431/luke_NOOOOOO_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

CrazySN
06-15-2012, 05:31 AM
I'm so happy Lorne Balfe is the one doing the score. Jesper Kyd was good and all, but his music doesn't quite nearly get as epic as Lorne Balfe's music does. Just listen to these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqBhDo1-iMg&list=PL44EC1ED477E649D8&index=3&feature=plpp_v ideo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cidz0pLy6ig&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Kvw-6SYSo&feature=related

Calvarok
06-15-2012, 05:42 AM
I listened to many of Lorne Balfe's tracks on his website and i came to conclusion that his music doesn't fit the AC universe at all.
Maybe something like tomb raider but not assassin's creed.
His music is way too "epic", there's almost no subtlely.
I really hope AC won't become a "hollywood blockbuster" with the assassins killing Iraqi terrorists and anarchists (lol) :(
How the heck does hollywood blockbuster = killing terrorists? Anyways, if you listen to the music he did for revelations, he's shown he can fit the universe just fine.

Aphex_Tim
06-15-2012, 05:59 AM
I'm so happy Lorne Balfe is the one doing the score. Jesper Kyd was good and all, but his music doesn't quite nearly get as epic as Lorne Balfe's music does. Just listen to these.

That's exactly the problem imo; it's too epic and doesn't really fit the AC series.

ProletariatPleb
06-15-2012, 06:05 AM
Jesper Kyd could make an ambiance, a proper atmosphere, that really could touch your souls, like Echoes of Roman Ruins from Brotherhood, or the Chase Theme from AC1, Ezio's Family, Venice Rooftops. I'm not so sure about Lorne, his music is like...... Lux Aeterna, epic but not fitting the game. Still, I hope to be surprised.

Evenesque
06-15-2012, 06:15 AM
Jesper Kyd could make an ambiance, a proper atmosphere, that really could touch your souls, like Echoes of Roman Ruins from Brotherhood, or the Chase Theme from AC1, Ezio's Family, Venice Rooftops. I'm not so sure about Lorne, his music is like...... Lux Aeterna, epic but not fitting the game. Still, I hope to be surprised.

If the song that ends the Boston Demo is Lorne's work, the game is in good hands.

CrazySN
06-15-2012, 06:18 AM
That's exactly the problem imo; it's too epic and doesn't really fit the AC series.

Disagreed. I think the music fits perfectly with the AC series. As the scale of the AC series seems to be getting bigger and bigger with each new game that comes out, the music also needs to fit that scale. You aren't just some lone Assassin, assassinating a few targets in remote cities anymore. You're an Assassin working with others, taking part in a huge war that will change the world forever. Ambient music won't cut it anymore, and epic music will be needed for these epic battles that are about to take place in the AC universe.

ProletariatPleb
06-15-2012, 06:18 AM
If the song that ends the Boston Demo is Lorne's work, the game is in good hands.
I did say I hope to be surprised :P
Also, could you link me to that video please? The ones I saw mostly had really bad music from other E3 booths.

Disagreed. I think the music fits perfectly with the AC series. As the scale of the AC series seems to be getting bigger and bigger with each new game that comes out, the music also needs to fit that scale. You aren't just some lone Assassin, assassinating a few targets in remote cities anymore. You're an Assassin working with others, taking part in a huge war that will change the world forever. Ambient music won't cut it anymore, and epic music will be needed for these epic battles that are about to take place in the AC universe.
I don't suppose you want random epic music while you're just walking around in the City, calmly or in the Frontier either. My walking in a city isn't supposed to feel epic..this is where Ambient music comes into play.

CrazySN
06-15-2012, 07:24 AM
I did say I hope to be surprised :P
Also, could you link me to that video please? The ones I saw mostly had really bad music from other E3 booths.

I don't suppose you want random epic music while you're just walking around in the City, calmly or in the Frontier either. My walking in a city isn't supposed to feel epic..this is where Ambient music comes into play.

No doubt Lorne Balfe will still make ambient music. It's just that for scenes that require epic music, Lorne Balfe can make it 10x better than Jesper ever could.

Aphex_Tim
06-15-2012, 07:39 AM
To me epic music just makes it feel like yet another Hollywood blockbuster movie. In Revelations the drama it created eventually started to annoy the hell out of me.
That's why i prefer ambient and atmospheric music. If done right it could fit a battlefield just as well as huge orchestras.
That's all just how i feel about it though.

ProletariatPleb
06-15-2012, 07:47 AM
To me epic music just makes it feel like yet another Hollywood blockbuster movie. In Revelations the drama it created eventually started to annoy the hell out of me.
That's why i prefer ambient and atmospheric music. If done right it could fit a battlefield just as well as huge orchestras.
That's all just how i feel about it though.

On this opinion, I am torn. Part of me wants to agree, and forget epic music; the other part of me remembers Lux Aeterna.

Lol xD
What I was saying was, both can be used in case of Battle, Lux Aeterna used as an example.

Aphex_Tim
06-15-2012, 08:31 AM
I don't like Lux Aeterna either. Too overused imo :p

ProletariatPleb
06-15-2012, 08:40 AM
I don't like Lux Aeterna either. Too overused imo :p
Sure, but I was talking abt epic music, no other example came to mind :P

De Filosoof
06-15-2012, 11:01 AM
How the heck does hollywood blockbuster = killing terrorists? Anyways, if you listen to the music he did for revelations, he's shown he can fit the universe just fine.

It was just a joke :).
Terrorists always seem to be a very hot subject in many popular "epic" hollywood blockbuster action movies, that's why i said it.

notafanboy
06-15-2012, 01:34 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqBhDo1-iMg&list=PL44EC1ED477E649D8&index=3&feature=plpp_v ideo
i really liked this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cidz0pLy6ig&feature=related
this one hurts my ears

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Kvw-6SYSo&feature=related

...this one hurts my ears too

twenty_glyphs
06-15-2012, 03:12 PM

I agree, Jesper's strength was the ambient music that played in the cities, like Home in Florence, Tour of Venice, Dreams of Venice, Echoes of the Roman Ruins, Roman Countryside, etc. Ezio's Family was a very nice theme as well. But I'm starting to realize that outside of that, a lot of his tracks for other events are too ambient themselves and don't give you a good theme that you can latch onto to make that track memorable.

I am starting to agree with this. When I first saw the E3 naval demo, I recognized Lorne Balfe's musical style in it and thought that his epic type of music did make a lot of sense for that much more than anything Jesper had written for the series so far. The scale of some of the stuff in AC is getting so big that Jesper's style of music just isn't fitting it anymore. For example, I quite like the Labored and Lost track from Revelations, and I'm just not sure what type of music Jesper would have written for such a big scene.

SixKeys
06-15-2012, 04:28 PM
No doubt Lorne Balfe will still make ambient music. It's just that for scenes that require epic music, Lorne Balfe can make it 10x better than Jesper ever could.

I dare you to listen to this and try to claim Jesper wasn't capable of composing epic music:

http://youtu.be/ZH1NFziHUxg

ProletariatPleb
06-15-2012, 04:38 PM
I dare you to listen to this and try to claim Jesper wasn't capable of composing epic music:

http://youtu.be/ZH1NFziHUxg
That's my favourite one :D
Also, nice new sig Six.

De Filosoof
06-15-2012, 04:45 PM
So why not both Lorne and Jesper?

Lorne for the more epic scenes and Jesper for the more eerie and atmospheric stuff.
I'm still disappointed.

Jesper Kyd's music IS assassin's creed.
His music has both traditional and futuristic electronic influences, it fits the AC universe perfectly.
Only orchestral music isn't AC's style.

ProletariatPleb
06-15-2012, 04:57 PM

Lorne for the more epic scenes and Jesper for the more eerie and atmospheric stuff.
I'm still disappointed.

His music is has both traditional and futuristic electronic influences, it fits the AC universe perfectly.
That was the case in Revelations, no? I agree, maybe Jesper declined?

SixKeys
06-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Jesper has been quite busy for the past year with various projects. It's entirely possible he knew he was going to have his hands full with other games/movies/series and declined when they approached him for AC3. Or maybe it was Ubi themselves who wanted something different for the game, who knows.

xChupa
06-15-2012, 08:14 PM
I just got Revelations and after hearing some of it's songs, in addition to some of the stuff we've already heard from AC3, I can fortunately say that I actually quite like Lorne Balfe's orchestral style :)
I'm a sucker for orchestra soundtracks though :P

I will be sad to see Jesper Kyd go though. I absolutely loved his previous work on Assassin's Creed and I agree he seems to have the perfect style for AC.

And I wouldn't be so quick to say Jesper can't make epic orchestrated tracks. For example one of my favorite game soundtracks of all time is "47 Makes a Decision" from Hitman 2, by none other than Jesper himself :)
Have a listen (epic part starts at 0:48)

http://youtu.be/fZzK_mI3WvA?t=43s

P.S. - To the people saying "why not both?" and stuff like that, I'm sure it was Jesper's choice to not compose for AC3; I don't think Ubi just kicked him out. He could've been too busy, or maybe he just wanted to move on (though I doubt that since if that were the case he probably would've at least decided to stay to finish up the trilogy).

twenty_glyphs
06-15-2012, 09:37 PM

I'm still disappointed.

His music has both traditional and futuristic electronic influences, it fits the AC universe perfectly.

I'm sure Lorne Balfe won't write only big orchestral pieces for everything in AC3. "Master and Mentor" on the Revelations soundtrack isn't a big orchestral piece, and I actually kinda thought (without thinking, if you know what I mean) it was Jesper's work for a while until I happened to look down at my phone and see the artist once. Also, "The Revelation" track by Balfe was done in an electronic style that was reminiscent of "Apple Chamber" from Brotherhood.

The music in the GameTrailers Boston demo is by Balfe but I originally thought it was Jesper's work because of the style. It had some hints of electronic sounds in there along with acoustic guitar and a woman singing, all similar to the style Jesper established in AC2. Balfe himself even talked about Jesper establishing a sound for the series in an interview I posted earlier in this thread, so he seems mindful of it. I'm also sure there will be a good amount of Native-American-inspired styles in AC3.

One thing we should remember is that at the end of the day, the music in the AC games is really decided on by people at Ubisoft Montreal. I know there is someone called an audio director working on the games, and I'm sure the creative director is part of the process. No matter who they hire to write the music, they still call the shots on the style they want in the game. If the composer delivers or suggests music or a style that the game's directors don't feel fits the game, they will request a different direction. I'm sure it's not just Balfe delivering big orchestra scores and Ubisoft just having to deal with it. In all likelihood, that was a style they decided they wanted on Revelations and moving forward, so that's why they brought Balfe in to begin with. I wouldn't be surprised if they brought him in because Jesper couldn't write the amount of music they needed for Revelations, and just got too busy or burned out on the series.

FirestarLuva
06-15-2012, 10:03 PM
I'm sure Lorne Balfe won't write only big orchestral pieces for everything in AC3. "Master and Mentor" on the Revelations soundtrack isn't a big orchestral piece, and I actually kinda thought (without thinking, if you know what I mean) it was Jesper's work for a while until I happened to look down at my phone and see the artist once. Also, "The Revelation" track by Balfe was done in an electronic style that was reminiscent of "Apple Chamber" from Brotherhood.

The music in the GameTrailers Boston demo is by Balfe but I originally thought it was Jesper's work because of the style. It had some hints of electronic sounds in there along with acoustic guitar and a woman singing, all similar to the style Jesper established in AC2. Balfe himself even talked about Jesper establishing a sound for the series in an interview I posted earlier in this thread, so he seems mindful of it. I'm also sure there will be a good amount of Native-American-inspired styles in AC3.

One thing we should remember is that at the end of the day, the music in the AC games is really decided on by people at Ubisoft Montreal. I know there is someone called an audio director working on the games, and I'm sure the creative director is part of the process. No matter who they hire to write the music, they still call the shots on the style they want in the game. If the composer delivers or suggests music or a style that the game's directors don't feel fits the game, they will request a different direction. I'm sure it's not just Balfe delivering big orchestra scores and Ubisoft just having to deal with it. In all likelihood, that was a style they decided they wanted on Revelations and moving forward, so that's why they brought Balfe in to begin with. I wouldn't be surprised if they brought him in because Jesper couldn't write the amount of music they needed for Revelations, and just got too busy or burned out on the series.

This.

Saar Ben Kiki
06-15-2012, 10:54 PM
i think people will hate on me but, lorne did a better job on acr than jesper, it seemed... and he had a more prominent role but both did a good job..

raptor41tr
06-16-2012, 09:46 AM
It's not ac3's soundtrack but it would be very nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBKAB-K83eQ