PDA

View Full Version : The Tower defense... what's the problem?

the_atm
05-24-2012, 08:22 PM
So i have to say i've played through revelations twice and i've only been offered the tower defense game twice. Each time was the mandatory time you have to play it. it never shows up for me. but the 2 times i played i really enjoyed it, so what's the big deal that people have with it?

playassassins1
05-24-2012, 08:30 PM
I like it. But in my opinion, it doesn't really fit in with AC.

And i suck at it......

naran6142
05-24-2012, 08:35 PM
So i have to say i've played through revelations twice and i've only been offered the tower defense game twice. Each time was the mandatory time you have to play it. it never shows up for me. but the 2 times i played i really enjoyed it, so what's the big deal that people have with it?

did you capture towers? cuz den defence wont happen unless you already have controlled towers

the_atm
05-24-2012, 08:50 PM
did you capture towers? cuz den defence wont happen unless you already have controlled towers
Yeah i have all of the towers and now nothing happens...

sticks165
05-24-2012, 09:06 PM
you gotta get your notoriety up to start a den defense game

Moultonborough
05-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Yeah i have all of the towers and now nothing happens...

Fully? I mean Assassins up to level 15? If so you won't have a attack, though if you want you could move that Assassin to a city to clear it out. To actually cause a attack you need to become notorious than keep buying shops/landmarks and get in a fight with guards. Well, that's how I've done it anyway.:cool:

Aphex_Tim
05-24-2012, 09:10 PM
Yeah i actually have to work hard to get them to attack my towers. The game just keeps throwing means to reduce Templar Awareness at you and i actually had to be careful not to lose any... :P
(It especially sucks when one of those false witnesses, or whatever they are, runs into a bunch of Ottoman soldiers. Bam, -50%...)

Anyway, i did enjoy the first few times of tower defense until that bloody siege cannon appeared... that thing is nearly indestructible and blasts through everything with ease.
It got a little too ridiculous for me to enjoy it at that point...

Moultonborough
05-24-2012, 09:25 PM
Yeah i actually have to work hard to get them to attack my towers. The game just keeps throwing means to reduce Templar Awareness at you and i actually had to be careful not to lose any... :P
(It especially sucks when one of those false witnesses, or whatever they are, runs into a bunch of Ottoman soldiers. Bam, -50%...)

Anyway, i did enjoy the first few times of tower defense until that bloody siege cannon appeared... that thing is nearly indestructible and blasts through everything with ease.
It got a little too ridiculous for me to enjoy it at that point...

Did you try upgrading your barriers?

SixKeys
05-24-2012, 11:36 PM
I don't think the game did a good job of adequately explaining how Den Defense works. Believe it or not, some of us haven't played that many Tower Defense games before. I have a little experience but I was pretty lost the first time I had to do it in ACR. Due to the bad instructions, it felt more annoying and confusing than something I would have enjoyed figuring out and mastering like all the other gameplay elements.

De Filosoof
05-24-2012, 11:44 PM
I think the biggest problem was that it sucked, if i remember correctly...

Locopells
05-25-2012, 12:10 AM
I think the biggest problem was that it sucked, if i remember correctly...

A bit like that assessment...

I didn't have a problem myself beyond it not being a particularly AC style thing. It does get irritating though if you play it more then the 3 times you need to do to complete the Guild challenges though, as the Templar weapons get stupidly powerful, and they start being able to get onto the rooftops which make strategising difficult.

dxsxhxcx
05-25-2012, 12:10 AM
it was boring just stand there placing units and shoot at the guards...

D.I.D.
05-25-2012, 09:15 PM
A good tower defence game is all about finding a perfect balance, by making the best use of the range and power of every unit you place in the game. It needs a path with twists to test your ability to maximise all of this.

AC's den defence was on one short corridor, and all you had to do was fill the roofs, mash the attack, and keep replacing fallen units to make sure the roofs stayed full. It was easy, thoughtless and time-consuming. To counter this, the game included a mechanic of bribery by which you could avoid the new game mode. That was remarkable, and the routine of bribery became an irritation too. To have notoriety shoot up in response to renovating a shop but barely twitch if you killed a dozen guards at lunchtime in front of witnesses was the final straw.

SixKeys
05-25-2012, 10:50 PM
AC's den defence was on one short corridor, and all you had to do was fill the roofs, mash the attack, and keep replacing fallen units to make sure the roofs stayed full. It was easy, thoughtless and time-consuming. To counter this, the game included a mechanic of bribery by which you could avoid the new game mode. That was remarkable, and the routine of bribery became an irritation too. To have notoriety shoot up in response to renovating a shop but barely twitch if you killed a dozen guards at lunchtime in front of witnesses was the final straw.

Yeah, it does kind of say something about the devs' faith in a new gameplay mechanism when they make it a punishment that you should wish to avoid.

PoundSake
05-25-2012, 11:04 PM
I like it but most people hate it because they play it for Assassins creed not for tower defense.

wigster2012
05-26-2012, 11:50 AM
It sucked big time. All you do is stand there and move people around, watching as the assassin's do all the work. It just seemed really pointless to me.

Kit572
05-27-2012, 06:37 AM
I like it. But in my opinion, it doesn't really fit in with AC.

And i suck at it......

^this

Tower defence in my opinion, was unnecessary. What pissed me off even more was i had to do THREE just to unlock Altair's sword to fix that stupid glitch!

AdmiralLink
05-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Did you try upgrading your barriers?

Even upgrading your barriers, those siege weapons are ridiculously strong mainly battering ram. Two or three hits from the battering ram and your barrier is gone. The battering ram has ridiculous defense. Barriers defense, riflemen, bomberman and your cannon barely does any damage to battering ram.

DylanJosh9
05-27-2012, 11:15 AM
I thought nothing could beat the Eavesdropping missions in AC1 for the being the most boring, but then they put Tower Defense! Seriously? Whose ingenious idea was that? AC has always been such an active fast paced game, TD goes against that.

Not to mention we all know Ezio could really just hop down from that roof and take on everyone himself.

playassassins1
05-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Good thing that Tower Defense is not returning in AC III

Locopells
05-27-2012, 11:38 AM
I thought nothing could beat the Eavesdropping missions in AC1 for the being the most boring, but then they put Tower Defense! Seriously? Whose ingenious idea was that? AC has always been such an active fast paced game, TD goes against that.

Not to mention we all know Ezio could really just hop down from that roof and take on everyone himself.

This was the thing with ACR - it's not that it isn't a good game - it is, but it was missing some features they promised, and some of the extras it did have were clearly not thought through...

DylanJosh9
05-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Good thing that Tower Defense is not returning in AC III

We might get some kind of replacement for it.

EscoBlades
05-27-2012, 03:23 PM

This. Just saying.

playassassins1
05-27-2012, 03:37 PM
This. Just saying.

Animal Attack: Waves of Animals, Survive the Waves. The end boss will be a giant unicorn.

OriginalMiles
05-27-2012, 07:23 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

Seriously, NO!

playassassins1
05-27-2012, 08:29 PM

Seriously, NO!

Animal Attack: Waves of Animals, Survive the Waves. The end boss will be a giant unicorn

How about this?

OriginalMiles
05-27-2012, 08:31 PM

Seriously, NO!

Animal Attack: Waves of Animals, Survive the Waves. The end boss will be a giant unicorn

How about this?
Way better. Unicorns FTW.

Locopells
05-28-2012, 01:56 AM
Way better. Unicorns FTW.

OK, if we're going to start with repeating the funny videos again, can I jump in for variety's sake?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eO3XmuVry4