PDA

View Full Version : P-38L vs Bf-109Z (Thank you Oleg!!!)

FI-Aflak
03-06-2004, 07:29 PM
Right. So the one aircraft that hasn't really been mentioned alot is the Bf-109Z. You know, the two Bf-109s tied together?

Well lets just say this bird is a blast to fly. Climbs and handles like an everage Bf-109 (im not a big Bf-109 driver, but It feels about the same). Controls get heavy at high speeds, but the other 109s are like that also.

Lets mention guns. 4x Mk 108 + an optional Mk 103.

Wow. Guns! Each 109 fuselage has a nose mount 108, and each outboard wing has a 108. The 103 gets hung from the wing that connects the two fuselage. This is a gunship.

Now, the P-38 has been talked about and talked about. Let me say one thing about it. That one thing is "FAST." The roll rate is controversial, but at high speeds it rolls really well, even on my athlon machine. low speeds and mid speeds it is useable, but the roll detracts. Anyway, with the P-38 you will find yourself doing 600 km/h seconds into a dive. Linear acceleration also feels good. The noise it makes on flyby view is our of this world (the 109z sounds really cool on flyby, also.)

A fun game I like to play is to snag on of the props on either bird, and then play around with it with on of the props bent all crazy. Both planes handle well (in game) with only on engine turning.

So the point of this thread. I like both aircraft, but the P-38 is my twin engine love in the expansion. So naturally, I decided that it must earn its place and kill some 109Z's for me. I've heard the lightning was good in a head on. So in QMB me vs 2x ace 109Z, I tried a headon. Well, I've mentioned the insane firepower of the 109Z before, so lets not get into what happened.

The lightning has the advantages of speed, climb, turn rate.

The 109z has roll and firepower.

It quickly became a game of killing the two 109z's without allowing either of them to get a shot off. In one skirmish, I was winning quite clearly, I had just shot one down and went into a verticle loop to prevent the other from getting a bead. Well, I pulled to hard and stalled. I would have been fine, but that one stall allowed the 109z to get in range, and I remember seeing an explosion on the nose of my number one prop and then the whole aircraft exploded.

But the furballs are incredible. Both aircraft are huge but handle like much smaller fighters. Both are fast. Circle fighting ina P-38 against the 109z is a blast. the 6x50s will light a 109 engine on fire no problem, and the 4x108 will destroy a lighting just by being pointed at one.

Oh, what fun!

Other fun QMB's:

16x YP-80 vs 16xHe-162 @ 5000m.
16x YP-80 vs 8x He-162+8x Go-229 @5000m

Me-163 vs anything is a good time.

those new biplanes, also.

But the 38L is my favorite addition.

Heh. A note about landing the 109z: both fuselage have their entire original landing gear, so you land on four front wheels and two tailwheels. It looks pretty crazy.

Kudos to everyone who did anything for the AEP!!

FI-Aflak
03-06-2004, 07:29 PM
Right. So the one aircraft that hasn't really been mentioned alot is the Bf-109Z. You know, the two Bf-109s tied together?

Well lets just say this bird is a blast to fly. Climbs and handles like an everage Bf-109 (im not a big Bf-109 driver, but It feels about the same). Controls get heavy at high speeds, but the other 109s are like that also.

Lets mention guns. 4x Mk 108 + an optional Mk 103.

Wow. Guns! Each 109 fuselage has a nose mount 108, and each outboard wing has a 108. The 103 gets hung from the wing that connects the two fuselage. This is a gunship.

Now, the P-38 has been talked about and talked about. Let me say one thing about it. That one thing is "FAST." The roll rate is controversial, but at high speeds it rolls really well, even on my athlon machine. low speeds and mid speeds it is useable, but the roll detracts. Anyway, with the P-38 you will find yourself doing 600 km/h seconds into a dive. Linear acceleration also feels good. The noise it makes on flyby view is our of this world (the 109z sounds really cool on flyby, also.)

A fun game I like to play is to snag on of the props on either bird, and then play around with it with on of the props bent all crazy. Both planes handle well (in game) with only on engine turning.

So the point of this thread. I like both aircraft, but the P-38 is my twin engine love in the expansion. So naturally, I decided that it must earn its place and kill some 109Z's for me. I've heard the lightning was good in a head on. So in QMB me vs 2x ace 109Z, I tried a headon. Well, I've mentioned the insane firepower of the 109Z before, so lets not get into what happened.

The lightning has the advantages of speed, climb, turn rate.

The 109z has roll and firepower.

It quickly became a game of killing the two 109z's without allowing either of them to get a shot off. In one skirmish, I was winning quite clearly, I had just shot one down and went into a verticle loop to prevent the other from getting a bead. Well, I pulled to hard and stalled. I would have been fine, but that one stall allowed the 109z to get in range, and I remember seeing an explosion on the nose of my number one prop and then the whole aircraft exploded.

But the furballs are incredible. Both aircraft are huge but handle like much smaller fighters. Both are fast. Circle fighting ina P-38 against the 109z is a blast. the 6x50s will light a 109 engine on fire no problem, and the 4x108 will destroy a lighting just by being pointed at one.

Oh, what fun!

Other fun QMB's:

16x YP-80 vs 16xHe-162 @ 5000m.
16x YP-80 vs 8x He-162+8x Go-229 @5000m

Me-163 vs anything is a good time.

those new biplanes, also.

But the 38L is my favorite addition.

Heh. A note about landing the 109z: both fuselage have their entire original landing gear, so you land on four front wheels and two tailwheels. It looks pretty crazy.

Kudos to everyone who did anything for the AEP!!

LEXX_Luthor
03-06-2004, 07:38 PM
Fb109Z ia alot of Fun. Significantly faster than P~38L at 8km altitude. Try it. I think it climbs better...must await proper testing (soon soon).

Try landing on flat open ground and taxiing around. It is not prone to collapse gear like regular Fb109s, and rough ground handling is better.

Fb109Z was the plane everybody Whined about before releace...except for a few of us. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"I don't have the V2 or B25s, so I'm going to reinstall" ~Bearcat99
:
"Damn.....Where you did read about Spitfire made from a wood?
Close this book forever and don't open anymore!" ~Oleg_Maddox http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Mitlov47
03-06-2004, 08:26 PM
I'm not sure the BF-109Z has a firepower advantage.

NO WAIT, HEAR ME OUT.

I'm a former Mk108 fan who has become incredibly disillusioned with the gun. Sure, it's great for attacking bombers or ground targets, but it's terrible against other fighters. One or two hits will kill them IF you can ever make it hit. And considering the ultra-slow muzzle velocity and resulting bullet drop, that's a very big IF.

Give me 50-cal machine guns or even 20mm cannons any day. They still do decent damage to an airframe with multiple hits, and because they have much higher velocity, it's much easier to actually get hits.

50 cals rule.

I'd still like a chance to give the BF-109Z a shot, though (I don't have AEP yet).

---------------------------

"I hear the roar of a big machine; Two worlds and in between.
Love lost, fire at will; Dum-dum bullets and shoot to kill.
I hear dive bombers and Empire down, Empire down..."
--Sisters of Mercy

Overwhelming odds mean nothing compared to heroism and tenacity. Fly blue and white: Finnish Brewster Model 239 and Israeli P-51.