PDA

View Full Version : 3rd person "walk-around" view

TheAirMarshal
06-05-2004, 04:01 PM

TheAirMarshal
06-05-2004, 04:01 PM

gilbertf-france
06-05-2004, 04:21 PM
having water go up would be, graphically, as complex as to require too much processing gfx power. rather than have water go up in rooms we wander by, it would be much wiser to have a very detailed damage map.

each area of the sub could be damaged and flooded. once flood starts, various things can happen :

1. you can no longer repair there since it's flooded.

2. men trapped there die (gulp)

3. flood changes sub's boyuancy (is that the good spelling ? i'm french - sorry!) so if you are too flooded your deck gun can no longer be used or you lose schorchel capability.

i would thus prefer a detailed damage map where flood level would be indicated and when a part if fully flooded, it's dead to use http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

if we got to die at fight, let's make the fight involve every strenght we can account for and be wise about decisions are the ship is getting into trouble for its control and keeping our lives protected.

TheAirMarshal
06-05-2004, 04:45 PM
"having water go up would be, graphically, as complex as to require too much processing gfx power. "

Actually, rising water effects have been done many times in first person shooters - even really old ones. If they can do it in a coridoor shooter I'd definatley expect to see it in a sub-sim!

I can't imagine the devs having any problems with such an effect.

gilbertf-france
06-05-2004, 05:51 PM
i am more interested in playability than graphics. i want a scenario editor where we just have to plot routes for convoys, add destroyers with non predictable moves and exchange them for playing. good accounting of sub damage, weapons and good simulation. i want to be able to do test dives, and be prepared before battle http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

osros
06-06-2004, 07:42 AM
I agree upto a point. I dont think all of it is needed I like the idea of really moving about the sub. up and down ladders would be a nice touch .Lets face it tho as skipper you really only needed to be in the bridge, but since we can go to any station I would like to see myself move about.

Whats is gonna take a few extra seconds. I can see it being a drag after a while and in a combat situation. Perhap a turn on/off option.

Willey
06-06-2004, 08:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheAirMarshal:
"having water go up would be, graphically, as complex as to require too much processing gfx power. "

Actually, rising water effects have been done many times in first person shooters - even really old ones. If they can do it in a coridoor shooter I'd definatley expect to see it in a sub-sim!

I can't imagine the devs having any problems with such an effect.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, more of a problem is to model proper behaviour and animations for the crewmen. But again, even without the water inside it's complex to make them not move like dolls. And after playing some recent games like FarCry, Splinter Cell and others I don't think they will not be able to model this in the same quality the surface is modelled in. That's really what I'd like to see in a video, some inside "action", just how the guys are doing, and the subs...

TASKFORCE1x1
06-06-2004, 01:44 PM
Not a bad Idea. I would like to be able to run around. Kinda like in the game Return to Castlewolfenstein. One of the later missions your able to board a german Uboat that is in a Uboat Pen. Bad thing though if its rough seas and your able to walk out side, there is no worse feeling than getting left behind by your sub. (happened to me on Battlefield1942 the pacific missions) http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

jagtigermk2
06-06-2004, 03:40 PM
I now play Wolfenstein Enemy Territory which is a free full game, if you liked rtcw taskforce1x1, i recomend downloading it. Here is a custom map with a U-boat

http://enemy-territory.4players.de:1041/img.php?img=saberpeak_a3.jpg

Teddy Bar
06-06-2004, 04:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gilbertf-france:
i am more interested in playability than graphics. i want a scenario editor where we just have to plot routes for convoys, add destroyers with non predictable moves and exchange them for playing. good accounting of sub damage, weapons and good simulation. i want to be able to do test dives, and be prepared before battle http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I want a career like AOD where 'levels' are not needed to enjoy the game as a career is so good.

Cheers,

Teddy B√¬§r

HeibgesU999
06-06-2004, 09:06 PM
i would rather it animated like socom, metal gear solid, or splinter cell. that would really bring the interior of the sub to life.

TASKFORCE1x1
06-07-2004, 12:19 AM
jagtigermk2 Thankyou I will check that out.
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Leif...
06-07-2004, 05:17 AM
Being able to walk around the entire ship does add a lot to the feeling of being there. But as Willey already has pointed out the really tough part is the response from the crew. If they just cycle through some idle animations you might get the feeling that you are invisible. There should be some kind of reaction when entering a room, not too much though.

Just about all information needed should be available to the capten wherever he is. For instance you should not have to walk to an instrument to check your depth, (although that should be possible). Instead you would normally ask your L1 and he would respond with the current depth. So most of the time the capten would hang around the chart table planning the attack and giving orders to his officers and getting information back from them. Then, when close enough, he would climb the ladder up to the bridge or the attackscope and continue the attack from there.

So if done properly you wouldn‚'t have to walk around that much at all, but if you are forced to walk all over the place to collect normal running data then I can see it being repetitive and frustrating after a while.

Leif‚...

jagtigermk2
06-07-2004, 03:16 PM
Will we get to have crew being washed over board?, say in heavy seas.