PDA

View Full Version : An idea for Connor's first mission. (plus added backstory)

Serrachio
05-13-2012, 05:12 PM
I posted this in a comment on a blog post at the Assassin's Creed Wiki, but since I believe it could inspire some more discussion on the topic, I figured I should post it here.

So here's my idea for Connor's first mission, which takes place when he is a child, in the winter:

Personally, I would like to see the introduction to hunting in a manner such that after Connor's village is burned down and he is left with no-one, he elects to go hiding in the woods in case any of the ones responsible for destroying his tribe come back.

As well as this, it would show characterization as we play as a young child striving to keep himself alive, and if he has to hunt down a deer or elk with little more than the knife he carries in the pictures of him as a child, we can get the challenge from us controlling him to try and keep up to the animal and then finally killing it, before using the meat to feed himself and the pelt to keep himself warm through the night. If fact, maybe he could camp for the night in someone's barn or wood storage, which would then lead to him soon meeting some human contact.

Following this, it would provide us with a better understanding of how harsh the winters were back then, as well as paint whoever he meets after that in a light somewhat of a savior, which would explain Connor's admiration for justice and him developing into the person we see him as later on in his life.

There could even be a slightly funny scene where he comes across, say, the man of the house he shelters in to avoid the cold, and when they show compassion to him and ask for his name, he would give his Native American one, but then they could say "How about we just call you Connor?"

So as the quoted text says, Connor's first important mission would be based around how he has to live and survive the first night since his whole tribe has been killed and their village burned down. In it, my idea for the mission would involve the player trekking through the woods to find some prey that he can kill and get some food to survive off, after making his way away from the burning wreckage of his former home. This would be feasible because as a Native American, Connor should already know the basics of hunting, since he should have at least been taught some useful tips by his fellow tribesmen.

During his hunt, he could encounter wild animals such as some wolves, which he would have to avoid since he's poorly equipped to deal with them, with the nearby natural elements introducing the tree or rock climbing elements to the player. This means Connor would have to climb up the tree or cliff face to get out of the reach of the wolves. As he stays up in the trees or reaches the top of the cliff, he would overhear some soldiers talking down below, and he would have to drop to the ground once the wolves have left (he probably won't know any advanced tree-running at that point), or make his way back down from the cliff (a downward sloping branch could make it quick). From there, he would need to use stalking zones to avoid the soldiers spotting him, which would cause instant desynchronization. This is realistic because it's easy to believe the soldiers would be able to shoot at him and take out the last remaining Mohawk member with their guns, as he has no armour to protect him. (Checkpoint)

I'm not sure if my idea for the mission should have Full Synchronization, where he wouldn't be able to kill any humans, or anything but the deer/elk (Kill only a prey animal, do not be spotted by soldiers). However, if it doesn't, Connor could eavesdrop on a soldier who brags to another that killing his tribe was easy, and since Connor is a child who was just faced with the loss of the people he considered to be his entire family (he doesn't know his father), he could wait for this soldier to go take a pee or some other distracting task, and then sneak up and instantly kill him with the skinning knife he has (I assume) from behind. After this, he would see the blood on his hands and panic slightly, but as the guard shouts out for help before he dies, the other guard would rush back to see what the commotion is about, and Connor has to quickly hide in the bushes before killing this other guard to prevent him from running back and calling out for help. He could also use some snow to clean his knife's blade after this, bringing more of the hunting and survival aspect to it.

After Connor comes to terms with the fact that he has just killed two people out of anger, he would then have to hide the bodies in some nearby foliage by dragging them, which would be explained as a way for him to carry bodies with his size and strength, before he carries on along his way to find something to eat in the forest. After making some progress through the woods and getting away from the guards, he might be able to find something like blackberries to eat, but then he would see an elk/deer at a pool of water and decide to hunt it. However, a twig would snap and give his location away to it, so it becomes a heated chase between him and the elk/deer as he attempts to catch up to it before it evades him. (Checkpoint before chase.)

Provided he does catch up to the elk/deer, using the game mechanics of vaulting over and sliding under parts of the forest to get closer as it runs away, a cutscene or quick-time event will show up (if there will be any) demonstrating Connor trying to pin the elk/deer to the ground after he jumps on its back and tries to stay on it, as it keeps attempting to buck him off of itself. Once he succeeds in pinning it down, he would use his knife to slit its throat for a clean hunt (Hunting can be brutal, but it's forgivable). After this, he would stay near his prize until it dies, defending it from predators, before skinning it with his knife and taking some of its meat for him to eat (raw if need be) and leaving it for the scavengers.

The throat slitting can be out of view, but the snow next to its body can slowly begin to turn dark red as the elk/deer bleeds out and its blood spreads, with the dark colour of the blood demonstrating the proximity of the elk/deer's neck to the ground, as Connor has tackled it to the floor. This would provide the message to the younger members of the target audience, along with a sound to emphasise the throat slit, without being too gruesome to watch. (Checkpoint)

Following this, he would go to make a makeshift camp for the night, but he will see some smoke billowing out of what would eventually present itself to be a person's house. Knowing that smoke would equal civilization, Connor would spy through the trees for a moment before slipping into the house's wood storage without being noticed, and uses the deer pelt to try and keep warm from the winter's chill as he lies with it on top of some stacked logs. (Mission End)

Now here's some more added detail that I thought up.

In the morning, the man of the house would enter the wood hut and find him stowing way, and when he goes to wake the boy, Connor will panic and pull out his knife in a desperate attempt to protect himself, from what he perceives to be the threat before him. A desperate struggle will commence between the two, as the man attempts to restrain the frenzied child with a knife before him, while Connor could be screaming his head off, trying to use his voice as an intimidation factor.

This will present another chance at a quick-time event, where if Connor succeeds in the brawl, he will knock the man on his back and straddle him with his knife pointed to his neck, ready to kill. However, the man would hold his hands above his head in surrender and Connor will relax, breathing heavy breaths from the exertion between the two.

If Connor fails in the struggle, the man will overpower him and pin him to the ground, before squeezing his wrist tightly to make Connor drop the knife. Following this, as he is rendered defenseless, Connor will begin to cry, and the man will slowly relax and release him, but Connor won't attack again. (He's only a child at that point, so him crying is understandable.)

There could also be a scene (same for both outcomes) where the man's wife comes to investigate the commotion, and when Connor sees her, she would look similarly enough to his mother, so he calms down when he is reminded of her.

After this, once the situation is diffused, the man will ask Connor his name, to which he would reply with his Native American name of Ratonhnhaké:ton. Since the man can't pronounce it, he says something like "How about we just call you Connor?", and since the man's last name could be "Kenway", it would explain how Connor takes on the name of "Connor Kenway". From there, the man shows his compassion by allowing Connor to live with him and his wife, after they realise he's stranded on his own as an orphan, since they may or may not have children of their own.

Following the years that pass, Connor could have a happy family life with his adopted parents and grow into a young man, until some soldiers arrive to look for anyone harboring criminals in their houses. Connor wouldn't be the one they're looking for, but the soldier that arrives has some past with the man of the house. On seeing Connor, he tries to arrest Connor's adopted father on false charges, since the soldier hates Native Americans. Either that, or the soldier believes that the Connor is the man's slave, and that he also believes Connor's adopted father is treating Connor too good for one.

After this, the soldier tries to take Connor's adopted father to be executed or some other unjust treatment (maybe public whipping), and while the soldier's lackeys advance on Connor's adopted mother, Connor kills them with a knife to protect her and then picks up a hatchet in his hand. As the first soldier sees Connor kill his companions, he hastily pulls out his rifle to try and shoot Connor, but it leads to him to throwing the hatchet into the soldier's head and killing him too.

Since he killed the men harassing his adopted parents, his adopted father is astounded at how lethal Connor is, and while Connor's adopted mother clears the men's bodies away, the man leads him to a trapdoor in their home, with some steps leading down to a secret room. At the bottom, it shows the player that Connor's adopted father is an Assassin, who then wants to initiate Connor into the Order, which provides a reasonable explantion to him becoming one.

Anyway, that's my gigantic idea and the story accompanying Connor's beginning. If you have any questions, please leave them below.

Akaskas
05-13-2012, 05:49 PM
http://1.androidauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Not-Bad-Obama-Meme2.jpg

Assassin_M
05-13-2012, 06:25 PM
This actually got me more pumped for the game :D
I have a WILD imagination, and you have a very good out look and inspiration for imagination :D
I LOVE your first mission ;)

BRANDONxPRODIGY
05-13-2012, 06:39 PM
thats pretty good, and by good i mean AWESOME! heres an idea i have, i kinda copied u :

after playing the introduction, and desmond is introduced to the animus v3, we see connor's tribe's settlement which consisted of about 12 tents in a bare area of the frontier. everything seems peaceful. connor's mother is cooking dinner and connor's dad is grinding a tomahawk (the tomahawk connor is seen using from trailers/screenshots) when all of a sudden connor's father hears horses galloping in the distance. he hands connor the tomahawk and a flintlock pistol and to remain in the tent with his mother while he goes out to defend. he grabs a musket and gathers in the centre of the settlement with other members of the tribe. the defenders begin to fire at the colonists. connor peak's through the tent and sees his father getting shot by colonists as well as the other defenders. connor tells his mother and both of them try to make a run for it into the wilderness but as soon as they leave the tent connor's mother gets shot by a colonist, who connor then shoots with the flintlock pistol.connor then drops the pistol and sprints into the wilderness.

after the cutscene, we now get to play the mission. connor recognizes where he is. his father took him here to hunt elk and he realises that there is another settlement his father often visited. we make our way to the settlement through the woods, using the tomahawk to defend from a few animals and the mission ends when connor reaches the settlement. the final cutscene involves connor finding out that the settlement is actually an assassin hideout and connor's father was an assassin. for the next ten years, connor is raised by the assassins and trained in his fathers footsteps.

Assassin_M
05-13-2012, 06:41 PM
thats pretty good, and by good i mean AWESOME! heres an idea i have, i kinda copied u :

after playing the introduction, and desmond is introduced to the animus v3, we see connor's tribe's settlement which consisted of about 12 tents in a bare area of the frontier. everything seems peaceful. connor's mother is cooking dinner and connor's dad is grinding a tomahawk (the tomahawk connor is seen using from trailers/screenshots) when all of a sudden connor's father hears horses galloping in the distance. he hands connor the tomahawk and a flintlock pistol and to remain in the tent with his mother while he goes out to defend. he grabs a musket and gathers in the centre of the settlement with other members of the tribe. the defenders begin to fire at the colonists. connor peak's through the tent and sees his father getting shot by colonists as well as the other defenders. connor tells his mother and both of them try to make a run for it into the wilderness but as soon as they leave the tent connor's mother gets shot by a colonist, who connor then shoots with the flintlock pistol.connor then drops the pistol and sprints into the wilderness.

after the cutscene, we now get to play the mission. connor recognizes where he is. his father took him here to hunt elk and he realises that there is another settlement his father often visited. we make our way to the settlement through the woods, using the tomahawk to defend from a few animals and the mission ends when connor reaches the settlement. the final cutscene involves connor finding out that the settlement is actually an assassin hideout and connor's father was an assassin. for the next ten years, connor is raised by the assassins and trained in his fathers footsteps.
Just one thing though..
Connor`s dad was british :rolleyes:

Taffy_17
05-13-2012, 06:46 PM
what if Connors dad try's to reason with the Europeans, European to European, but they kill him motivating connor to go after templars

Serrachio
05-13-2012, 07:29 PM

I'd say it was more likely that Connor's father wasn't around. Also, he's only a child when the event occurs, so I don't think he would have any experience with those weapons once my idea for the mission starts. For this reason, his tomahawk is more of a symbol of the Assassins (since it makes an Assassin insignia), than of his Native American heritage. The tomahawk itself would symbolise the Native Americans, since they used the weapons, but it wouldn't link with Connor being an Assassin. So, since he isn't an Assassin at that point, he shouldn't use it until much later into the game's story.

Also, leaving him with nothing but a knife to hunt in the woods would drive more of a connection between the player and Connor as a character, as he would be stranded and it would put his life in the player's hands as they control him. This would also be emphasized if he knew little to nothing about his surroundings in the woods, which would lead him to make more decisions on impulse, as opposed to following a guide in his head.

This would put the player and Connor on the same level entering the situation.