PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed "Timeline"

GrazingFawn1
05-07-2012, 10:48 AM
I am almost done playing the original Assassin's Creed game. I've noticed that there is the "main series" and then some spin-offs in this series. I also realize that some are prequels and sequels and mid-quels and all that. I'm just wondering, from a playing point of view...the best order to play all the games.

I know the main games go:

Assassin's Creed
Assassin's Creed II
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
Assassin's Creed: Revelations
Assassin's Creed III

but I"m asking for things like... Altair's Chronicles. Should I actually be playing that BEFORE the first game since its a prequel...or should I play it between the first and second?

The things i'm looking for placement for would be...
Altair's Chronicles
Bloodlines
Lineage (Like...should it be watched as a prequel BEFORE ACII...or after...?)
Discovery (Should I actually stop playing 2 in the middle of it to play this, or should I just play this AFTER?)
Embers
Ascension (Same question as Discovery...)
The Fall (I think that's the name of the comic...)

and any others I missed.

My problem is that the games and media I mentioned are not Desmond related,and honestly seem to break up the story flow of how the Main Series games flow into one another...but I don't want to be left without information and be left out of the loop for anything that might be referenced in the games...

Anyways, thanks in advance for all your help.

TheHumanTowel
05-07-2012, 11:12 AM
It's not really neccessary to play them in the order they happened. I'd actually advise against it. I think the spin-offs work best as a nice sprinkling over the main series that can be played at any time. Also they only ones really referenced in the main games are Bloodlines, Lineage, and to a certain extent The Fall. So if you're going to check any of them out I'd say choose those ones.

Locopells
05-07-2012, 12:12 PM
The Fall
The Chain - may well come here, but until we see it, don't quote me.
Altair's Chronicles
AC1
Bloodlines
Lineage
AC2 - Note, since this starts with Ezio's birth, Lineage should be placed between that and the start of 'Boys Will Be Boys' (the first mission), but since there is no way to save the game at this point without starting BWBB, or breaking up the main storyline, you might as well watch it first. Particularly since AC2 starts at the exact time and place AC1 finished, you have already sidetracked into Bloodlines.
Discovery - takes place during AC2 between Sequence 12: The Battle of Forli and Sequence 13: The Bonfire of the Vanities.
Brotherhood
Ascendance - whilst detailing Cesare Borgia's rise to power it is told in flashback like the suppressed memories, and Altair's memories in ACR, so I would place it during Brotherhood, just after you first meet Da Vinci again, since it's him telling the story. I haven't seen it though, so I am happy to be corrected on this point, if wrong.
Brotherhood: Multiplayer Intro
Revelations
Embers
Revelations: Multiplayer Cutscenes
AC3

This is the chronological order as I figure it, but only, I would suggest, if you are already familiar with the main games, so that you know what you are about with the Animus, etc.

Serrachio
05-07-2012, 01:16 PM
When it comes down to time periods, it actually goes like this in a chronological manner.

Assassin's Creed: French comic #1, #2 and #3 - Aquilus and Accipter segments.
Assassin's Creed: Altair's Chronicles
Assassin's Creed 1
Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines
Assassin's Creed: Lineage
Assassin's Creed 2
Assassin's Creed 2: Discovery
Assassin's Creed: Ascendance - Pre-Brotherhood events
Assassin's Creed: Embers
Assassin's Creed 3
Assassin's Creed: The Fall - Nikolai Orelov segments
Assassin's Creed: The Chain - Nikolai Orelov segments
Assassin's Creed: Revelations - Desmond's Journey (Desmond's youth)
Assassin's Creed: Revelations - The Lost Archive (Clay's youth)
Assassin's Creed: The Fall - Daniel Cross segments (Daniel's youth)
Assassin's Creed: Revelations - Desmond's Journey (Desmond's teenage years)
Assassin's Creed: Revelations - The Lost Archive (Clay's teenage years)
Assassin's Creed: The Fall - Daniel Cross segments (Daniel's early adult years)
Assassin's Creed 1 - Modern day events
Assassin's Creed 2 - Modern day events
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - Multiplayer Intro
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - Modern day events
Assassin's Creed: Revelations - Multiplayer Cutscenes
Assassin's Creed: Revelations - Modern day events

Sorry for the ginormous post, I got a little carried away.

SaintPerkele
05-07-2012, 02:41 PM
I would not recommend watching Lineage before Assassin's Creed II. It will actually spoiler some things.

InfectedNation
05-07-2012, 04:29 PM
That god-awful french comic isn't even canon to the series, so I wouldn't include reading it.
I think the most important things to do are watch Lineage before you play AC2, Embers once you complete Revelations and read the Fall whenever you like... but preferably before you play Revelations. The other media can just be skipped, it's pretty irrelevant to the Assassin's Creed story.

Will_Lucky
05-07-2012, 05:35 PM
That god-awful french comic isn't even canon to the series, so I wouldn't include reading it.
I think the most important things to do are watch Lineage before you play AC2, Embers once you complete Revelations and read the Fall whenever you like... but preferably before you play Revelations. The other media can just be skipped, it's pretty irrelevant to the Assassin's Creed story.

True but the Roman Assassin is canon as he was included in the encyclopedia.

Captain Tomatoz
05-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Altair's chronicles isnt canon either as you kill Tamir in it.

LightRey
05-07-2012, 07:43 PM
That's not how it works. It's canon in the parts that don't contradict the games. So though that part isn't canon, most of the rest of it is.

eagleforlife1
05-07-2012, 07:46 PM

I'm pretty sure that they were two differen Tamir's.

SaintPerkele
05-07-2012, 07:47 PM
That's another Tamir, actually.

Locopells

Wait, what? The slaver guy you already killed in AC1?

Locopells

Oh, right.

Locopells
05-07-2012, 07:58 PM

No prob.

When it comes down to time periods, it actually goes like this in a chronological manner.

True, but involves a lot of chopping and changing between games, and causes problems with the modern day storylines that frames them. Also as others have said, don't bother with the French comics. They're in French for one thing...(assuming you don't speak/read it)

I would not recommend watching Lineage before Assassin's Creed II. It will actually spoiler some things.

Maybe, but as I said, my order is for those who already know the main games.

OriginalMiles
05-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Altair's Chronicles
AC1
Bloodlines
Lineage
AC2
ACB
Ascendance
ACR
Embers
AC3
The Fall
The Chain
Modern day parts

Captain Tomatoz
05-07-2012, 09:20 PM

Same face model for the chat window.

GrazingFawn1
05-08-2012, 01:17 AM
So if I'm understanding you all completley...to play the games in a way that won't spoil things early for me...but still have a general overarching storyline...I would do it like this?

Assassin's Creed
Assassin's Creed II
Assassin's Creed II: Discovery (Not going to stop one game and start another in the middle. I can just know that it happens during that certain point in AC2)
Assassin's Creed: Lineage (So that I don't spoil things from Assassin's Creed II early)
Assassin's Creed: Ascendance (Same reasoning as Discovery)
Assassin's Creed: The Fall (Some are saying here, while others are saying after III, so I could still use some help with this one...)
Assassin's Creed: Revelations (I figure just put everything here, along with the multiplayer stuff. Didn't know about multiplayer until you guys told me, but I assume it was released at the same time..)
Assassin's Creed III

I'm not sure what The Chain even is....so I'm not even sure where you guys want me to put it. If you guys could give me a spoiler-free explanation, that would be awesome.

And again, thank you all for such quick responses and thanks for all the help. Its much appreciated.

Assassin_M
05-08-2012, 01:28 AM
So if I'm understanding you all completley...to play the games in a way that won't spoil things early for me...but still have a general overarching storyline...I would do it like this?

Assassin's Creed
Assassin's Creed II
Assassin's Creed II: Discovery (Not going to stop one game and start another in the middle. I can just know that it happens during that certain point in AC2)
Assassin's Creed: Lineage (So that I don't spoil things from Assassin's Creed II early)
Assassin's Creed: Ascendance (Same reasoning as Discovery)
Assassin's Creed: The Fall (Some are saying here, while others are saying after III, so I could still use some help with this one...)
Assassin's Creed: Revelations (I figure just put everything here, along with the multiplayer stuff. Didn't know about multiplayer until you guys told me, but I assume it was released at the same time..)
Assassin's Creed III

I'm not sure what The Chain even is....so I'm not even sure where you guys want me to put it. If you guys could give me a spoiler-free explanation, that would be awesome.

And again, thank you all for such quick responses and thanks for all the help. Its much appreciated.
I dont know about Lineage..
I mean whats to spoil ? Ezio`s birth ? Im not trying to force or anything, but.. If you want my Opinion I`d go with Lineage before AC II..
And dont worry, nothing is known about the Chain yet..

Serrachio
05-08-2012, 01:45 AM
I dont know about Lineage..
I mean whats to spoil ? Ezio`s birth ? Im not trying to force or anything, but.. If you want my Opinion I`d go with Lineage before AC II..
And dont worry, nothing is known about the Chain yet..

Lineage explains some details when they originate, but their effects are seen in Assassin's Creed 2.

Also, The Chain is the continuation of Nikolai Orelov and Daniel Cross' story.

Assassin_M
05-08-2012, 02:21 AM
Lineage explains some details when they originate, but their effects are seen in Assassin's Creed 2.

Also, The Chain is the continuation of Nikolai Orelov and Daniel Cross' story.
To your first, and this is why Its my opinion to watch AC L before playing AC II

and to your second, I was referring to some more major details

GrazingFawn1
05-08-2012, 06:05 AM
Ok, so I put The Chain with The Fall, since it seems you are telling me its a continuation, but I'm still not sure if I should be reading these before or after Revelations. Also, for the time being, i'm leaving Lineage AFTER AC2, since people seem to be divided on this. I'm really not trying to be a pain, I just want to get the most enjoyment out of this series, and I figure who better to ask then people who have already had the chance to enjoy the entire series.

Assassin's Creed
Assassin's Creed II
Assassin's Creed II: Discovery
Assassin's Creed: Ascendance
Assassin's Creed: "The Fall" and "The Chain"
Assassin's Creed III

Serrachio
05-08-2012, 07:09 AM
When I made my long list, I was only stating the events which came chronologically (in the AC universe, not release) as a proper timeline aspect.

Since The Fall doesn't have any real bearing on Revelations, it can be read at any time, though if you are getting it, my personal opinion would be to read it after Brotherhood, because it will explain some stuff about Abstergo.

The Chain, however, isn't released yet, though it will be a continuation of The Fall.

MasterSimaYi
05-08-2012, 07:20 AM
The French comic's ancestor storyline is canon, so is Assassin's Creed: Alta´r's Chronicles. Alta´r's Chronicles takes place in 1190, so before Assassin's Creed and after the first Alta´r memory in Revelations. Ascendance takes place during Brotherhood, not before Brotherhood. Nikolai's story in The Fall spans 1888 to 1917, and Daniel's story spans 1998 to 2000. Desmond's Journey takes place from Desmond's early years to 2012, and The Lost Archive takes place from Clay's early years (note that Clay is five years older than Desmond) to 2012.

I actually spent several months making this Timeline here - http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline - and I have to say I'm rather proud of it. Everything is sourced like it's done on Wikipedia so you can find out what media everything is from with ease.

GrazingFawn1
05-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Ok, thanks guys. I think the way I have it right now may be the best way for me to proceed for the time being. I appreciate all of your help. Now to just finish up those pesky achievements and actually finish the game.....

PRIME13exe
03-01-2013, 11:22 AM

Assassin's Creed: French comic #1, #2 and #3 - Aquilus and Accipter segments.
Assassin's Creed 1
Assassin's Creed 2
Assassin's Creed 2: Discovery
Assassin's Creed: Ascendance - Pre-Brotherhood events
Assassin's Creed 3
Assassin's Creed: The Fall - Nikolai Orelov segments
Assassin's Creed: The Chain - Nikolai Orelov segments
Assassin's Creed: Revelations - Desmond's Journey (Desmond's youth)
Assassin's Creed: Revelations - The Lost Archive (Clay's youth)
Assassin's Creed: The Fall - Daniel Cross segments (Daniel's youth)
Assassin's Creed: Revelations - Desmond's Journey (Desmond's teenage years)
Assassin's Creed: Revelations - The Lost Archive (Clay's teenage years)
Assassin's Creed: The Fall - Daniel Cross segments (Daniel's early adult years)
Assassin's Creed 1 - Modern day events
Assassin's Creed 2 - Modern day events
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - Multiplayer Intro
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - Modern day events
Assassin's Creed: Revelations - Multiplayer Cutscenes
Assassin's Creed: Revelations - Modern day events

Assassin's Creed IV black flag comes between Embers and ac3

Sisren
03-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Personally, I wouldn't consider the four french comic as canon at all, past or present, as the past events are relived by Desmond during times that true canon makes it impossible for him to have viewed them. Also, nothing in the true canon has referred to the past events depicted in the french comics to warrent them being considered true canon.

The one piece of story no one has mentioned yet is the comic that came with the limited edition of Assassin's Creed. Is this canon? I pride myself on having every pice of true canon of the AC universe (I have the books because while small details may contradict, the general stories remain true, and they add exposition not found in the games (especially Forsaken)). If the limited edition comic is indeed considered canon (I can't see how it would be, as I've read the summary and can't place when it would happen), I will have to seek it out.

Will_Lucky
03-06-2013, 10:27 PM
Personally, I wouldn't consider the four french comic as canon at all, past or present, as the past events are relived by Desmond during times that true canon makes it impossible for him to have viewed them. Also, nothing in the true canon has referred to the past events depicted in the french comics to warrent them being considered true canon.

The one piece of story no one has mentioned yet is the comic that came with the limited edition of Assassin's Creed. Is this canon? I pride myself on having every pice of true canon of the AC universe (I have the books because while small details may contradict, the general stories remain true, and they add exposition not found in the games (especially Forsaken)). If the limited edition comic is indeed considered canon (I can't see how it would be, as I've read the summary and can't place when it would happen), I will have to seek it out.

French Comics, or at least certain parts of them are canon through their mention in the Encyclopedia.

Stardust235
03-06-2013, 10:54 PM
Same face model for the chat window.
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101002140413/assassinscreed/images/2/28/Tamir-ACAC.jpg
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110219232046/assassinscreed/images/thumb/2/2e/Tamirspng.png/250px-Tamirspng.png
They seem different to me.

Stardust235
03-06-2013, 10:55 PM
Assassin's Creed IV black flag comes between Embers and ac3
No, it comes after AC3 ends. (Considering you mean the story in general and not just the time period you play in via the animus)