PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Assassin's Creed Novels

hot89stang
05-04-2012, 09:14 PM
I have just finished the 2nd Assassin's Creed novel and I have a question if anyone can answer it for me. How come I have yet to read anything about Desmond in these books. I think he is the one referred to as the prophet but I dont understand why we arent seeing anything from his view, and why when Ezio was talking Minerva she didnt call out to Desmond like she does in the game.

Serrachio
05-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Because they're not about Desmond. They're about the Assassins that Desmond is related to.

hot89stang
05-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Ok I understand that but in the game Minerva calls out to Desmond and Ezio gets confused and calls out to Minerva asking who Desmond is. Im confused as to why that would be left out I understand what you are saying though.

Serrachio
05-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Ok I understand that but in the game Minerva calls out to Desmond and Ezio gets confused and calls out to Minerva asking who Desmond is. Im confused as to why that would be left out I understand what you are saying though.

Well, the books come second to the games in terms of canon, so if it occurs in the games but it doesn't in the novels, the games over-ride the books. So for all that's concerned from the perspective of the Assassin's Creed universe, Minerva did actually use Ezio as a conduit for the message to Desmond.

One thing else is that while Oliver Bowden does collaborate with the Ubisoft developers when he's creating the books, since they use the same script in effect, some details can change during whichever game is being developed.

hot89stang
05-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Ok thanks.

Abeonis
05-05-2012, 05:12 PM
The easiest explanation for Desmond's lack of presence in the novels can, from an in-universe perspective, be explained as follows: the games actually take place in 2012, with Desmond viewin the genetic memories of his ancestors; what he sees in these memories definitively happened in that particular way. The novels, however, can be seen as contemporary accounts of the events that took place (this is confirmed in The Secret Crusade, which was written by Niccolò Polo IU); as such they are subject to bias, incomplete information and half-truths, which could explain any minor differences between the games and the books.

InfectedNation
05-06-2012, 08:30 PM
The easiest explanation for Desmond's lack of presence in the novels can, from an in-universe perspective, be explained as follows: the games actually take place in 2012, with Desmond viewin the genetic memories of his ancestors; what he sees in these memories definitively happened in that particular way. The novels, however, can be seen as contemporary accounts of the events that took place (this is confirmed in The Secret Crusade, which was written by Niccolò Polo IU); as such they are subject to bias, incomplete information and half-truths, which could explain any minor differences between the games and the books.

This. Although with the Altair memories in ACR I think the devs were being a bit lazy/trying to save time before release date, so they rushed and simplified these memories from the original script (which was used to write the book)

Ubi probably intended Rodrigo to die at the end of AC2 until they decided to make Brotherhood.

Abeonis
05-07-2012, 04:18 AM
This. Although with the Altair memories in ACR I think the devs were being a bit lazy/trying to save time before release date, so they rushed and simplified these memories from the original script (which was used to write the book)

Ubi probably intended Rodrigo to die at the end of AC2 until they decided to make Brotherhood.
No, becaue historically, Rodrigo Borgia died in 1503, like he does in Brotherhood​.