PDA

View Full Version : Combat/Raised flaps

blazer-glory
05-03-2012, 10:50 PM
I know that using flaps can help you turn faster but what is the difference between the raised and combat positions?

Tully__
05-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Using flaps will help you turn tighter (not necessarily faster) for a short time.
Raised is flaps all the way up. In this position flaps create the least drag but give no additional lift.
"Combat" is flaps down a little bit to give a little bit of extra lift (turning potential) without adding a lot of drag (slowing down potential).

Note that flaps only give additional lift potential at speeds slower than what's referred to as "manouvering speed". This is the maximum speed at which you can apply full control deflection without damaging the aircraft. In these military aircraft you probably wont have to worry about this anyway as manouvering speed is likely to be well above maximum flap deployment speed.

blazer-glory
05-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Great Tully, thanks for the info :)

Sillius_Sodus
05-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Hi blazer-glory,

To add to Tully's post, combat flaps add lift but also add drag so you don't want them out all the time. They are useful when you want some extra lift for a break turn, i.e. to avoid getting shot, or when you need a bit more lift to get into firing position.

On some aircraft, i.e. the F4F and N1K1, once combat flaps are selected, they will extend and retract automatically based on your speed. Useful and annoying at the same time...:p

Good hunting.

blazer-glory
05-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks Sillius, appreciate the added information. I think I've got it now, cheers :)

ytareh
05-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Being trained by a 'serious' squad dedicated to energy tactics I was pretty much trained NEVER to use flaps except for take off and landing .They MAY have a place in certain situations but by and large are over used by beginners.If you dont get the shot using your flaps the other guy is gonna be goin way faster than you-you will be like a stone/rock in mid air -and he will be on your tail in no time .