PDA

View Full Version : Do you like this or not ?

berserker134
04-30-2012, 10:24 PM
I read a few weeks ago that AC3 will be back to the AC1 basics. Personally i don't know how i will adapt to this because of the three games we have been with the new systems.
post your comments and thoughts about this.

rileypoole1234
04-30-2012, 11:14 PM
I don't know what you mean. Do you have the interview or statement? AC3 is going to be different than any other AC. Not like AC1.

berserker134
04-30-2012, 11:38 PM
here it is http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-09-assassins-creed-3-will-be-back-to-basics

rileypoole1234
04-30-2012, 11:49 PM
I think he means the story and mechanics of the game. It does say something about a bewildering chart for AC2 mechanics. I'm not really 100% sure what they mean, but I think they're making the game less complicated. It says they're tightening up the mechanics.

BBALive
04-30-2012, 11:53 PM
here it is http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-09-assassins-creed-3-will-be-back-to-basics

It means that because the game is set in a different place, in a different time period, with a different character, they were able to strip everything down and build upon the bare-bones systems present in the franchise. They were able to decide which mechanics should stay, which should go, which should be improved, and what new mechanics could be introduced. They weren't able to do that with ACB and ACR, as they didn't want to remove mechanics present in the games predecessors due to the fact that each game continues one after the other with the same character, in the same context with the same story. As the article says, they went back to basics to try and reinvent the gameplay loops found in the series. So it's not going back to 'AC1 basics' per se, but the basic systems in general.

dxsxhxcx
05-01-2012, 12:02 AM
I believe BBALive is right, but I'll only believe this when I see Connor starts the game with eagle vision and not eagle sense, see the path of the guards made the game easier than already is and also was a pointless feature since the guards were far away to present any kind of danger to the player, also part of the "magic" of being stealthy IMO is study the guards' routes and figure out the better way by ourselves, and have a feature that do 99% of the job for us is not cool...

De Filosoof
05-01-2012, 12:11 AM
Alex Hutchinson, creative director of Assassin's Creed 3, has told an audience at the Game Developers Conference that the game aims to strip back the ballooning complexity of the series' mechanics and story.
Hmmm i don't know what to think about this.
I like a complex storyline. That's what AC is all about!
I hope they won't go too mainstream on AC3.

SixKeys
05-01-2012, 01:06 AM

I think they mean they're going to strip down some of the more extravagant gadgets that ACB and ACR had in favor of more basic weapons, and storywise they're going to actually resolve the big plot points and loose ends instead of creating new, confusing cliff-hangers.

De Filosoof
05-01-2012, 01:10 AM
I think they mean they're going to strip down some of the more extravagant gadgets that ACB and ACR had in favor of more basic weapons, and storywise they're going to actually resolve the big plot points and loose ends instead of creating new, confusing cliff-hangers.
Yeah that would be cool :)
I won't have a problem with that.

BBALive
05-01-2012, 01:35 AM

But Assassin's Creed IS mainstream.

And complexity isn't always a good thing. Metal Gear Solid 2 was too complex for most people, meaning that they couldn't comprehend the meaning the behind the entire game, as well as some of the key themes. That won't happen with Assassin's Creed because the story itself isn't that deep, but there comes a time when you have to wrap things up rather than pushing them to an unnecessary point.

DavisP92
05-01-2012, 03:15 AM
I believe BBALive is right, but I'll only believe this when I see Connor starts the game with eagle vision and not eagle sense, see the path of the guards made the game easier than already is and also was a pointless feature since the guards were far away to present any kind of danger to the player, also part of the "magic" of being stealthy IMO is study the guards' routes and figure out the better way by ourselves, and have a feature that do 99% of the job for us is not cool...

actually i think we might have eagle sense in the beginning because unlike Ezio, Connor will probably be a hunter at a young age. So he will already have experience on reading his surrounding and tracking people unlike Ezio. I do hope that they do improve on the eagle vision as well though, and get rid of the guard paths

SixKeys
05-01-2012, 03:25 AM
Having Eagle Vision work exactly like it did in ACR would also take away some of the fun in hunting. They've said that with the rarer animals you'll have to track them down by following hints in the environment and setting traps. If you could just turn on Eagle Vision and see their tracks, the whole point would be lost.

dxsxhxcx
05-01-2012, 04:15 AM
Having Eagle Vision work exactly like it did in ACR would also take away some of the fun in hunting. They've said that with the rarer animals you'll have to track them down by following hints in the environment and setting traps. If you could just turn on Eagle Vision and see their tracks, the whole point would be lost.

something similar to what we have in Batman Arkham Asylum/City would be cool, there's also a similar situation in the Witcher 2, I followed the wrong path a few times and almost died in that jungle (Witcher 2).. :p

D.I.D.
05-01-2012, 07:33 PM

I'm 99% certain that he's just echoing previous statements about the series. He's said before that since AC2, you could only add abilities and equipment for Ezio but you couldn't really take anything away, so he was always starting from a position of incredible power. All the designers could do was come up with ways to temporarily cripple him to provide some sense of an arc, and ACR couldn't do that when ACB had already done it.

They've also mentioned that the story is incredibly complex now, and that's true. It seems simple - Desmond Miles can revisit his assassin ancestors' memories to discover secrets from the past, and powerful artefacts of an extinct master race - but while it's possible to tell someone the outline in one sentence, it would take a long time to explain to a new player exactly what's happened so far. It seems AC3 is an opportunity to tie up as much of the prehistoric story as possible, and clear the decks for AC4.

Xenoxin
05-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Eagle Sense - Sense and visualize your enemies with enhanced Eagles Sense. Through long years of honing the skills of a master assassin, Eagle Vision has evolved into Eagle Sense, allowing you to intuitively predict your enemies' paths, detect traitors within a crowd and pick up on environmental clues to help solve the many challenges you encounter- assassinscreed.ubi.com

So I'm pretty sure Connor won't have Eagle Sense

Dieinthedark
05-01-2012, 10:35 PM
I think its a good thing to realize. Seriously, it has to happen sometime otherwise AC will just morph into this giant blob of killing people, following people, raiding tombs, climbing stuff etc..you start to lose what made the game special in the first place. And IMHO AC1 has many characteristics/features that make me prefer it over AC2 even still to this day. AC2 is certainly good don't get me wrong but basically any change they bring to make the game less of I'm a B.A. and more of I'm an Assassin this is what i do, this is my life, that's good in my book.

Animuses
05-01-2012, 11:56 PM
Well that was a good read. It's good to know we could get a creative director who seemingly knows what AC is about.

zen407
05-02-2012, 12:00 AM
I think what they will be able to do by going at the game this way will be quite amazing.

DavisP92
05-02-2012, 01:09 PM

of course, i agree with you. But i do want there to be an eagle sense, just something very different from Ezio's version. I think the eagle sense will be what helps in the hunting (not saying i want that though).

side note: i would love to see co-op in AC3 (if it is really in it) https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/474379_10150727428853068_6119163067_9544997_189007 5574_o.jpg

Dieinthedark
05-02-2012, 09:55 PM
That'd be AWESOME!