PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed story help

hot89stang
04-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Im wondering if anyone can help me or know of a website that explains the storylines of the entire Assassin's Creed set so far. Ive played all the games and I understand the basic story of the Assassin's V.S the Templars, fighting over their beliefs of how humanity should be governed and what not. What I dont entirely understand is the First Civ storyline and the Abstergo Storyline. I realize that all of the storylines are linked, and that Abstergo are the Templars. I just dont understand how we went from a story of deciding how humanity should be run to again having to save the world from the sun.

sticks165
04-26-2012, 03:42 PM
http://assassinscreed.wikia.com

LightRey
04-26-2012, 03:42 PM
It didn't go from one to the other. They're both problems that (though likely to be linked in some way) are completely separate. I advise you consult the Assassin's Creed Wiki (http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Assassin%27s_Creed_Wiki) for further, more detailed information. Be advised that they have jumped to conclusions on there in the past.

SaintPerkele
04-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Actually, every single piece of information on the Wiki - today - is sourced and otherwise removed. If something is a conclusion, it is usually explicitly mentioned, and theories are removed immediately :P

You should probably read the Articles on the Assassins, the First Civilization, Abstergo, the Templars, the overall timeline, the PoEs and, if you want even more information, the story of The Fall and Project Legacy. That should cover everything that is of a higher importance ;)

GLHS
04-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Or just play AC2 over again? Honestly, people, it isn't that hard. But yeah, as stated, the wiki is the best place for info, and a very interesting read. Also, may I suggest the bios on the major characters? It might help explain everybody's role better, and explain Desmond's purpose and link to TWCB better.

LightRey
04-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Actually, every single piece of information on the Wiki - today - is sourced and otherwise removed. If something is a conclusion, it is usually explicitly mentioned, and theories are removed immediately :P

You should probably read the Articles on the Assassins, the First Civilization, Abstergo, the Templars, the overall timeline, the PoEs and, if you want even more information, the story of The Fall and Project Legacy. That should cover everything that is of a higher importance ;)
Just because it's sourced doesn't mean people don't jump to conclusions.

SaintPerkele
04-26-2012, 04:41 PM
The only conclusion I could recall right now was the assumption that Ezio's and Altair's apples were the same; but pretty much everybody believed that back then.

I'm not here to start a discussion about the reliability of the Wiki, but as an editor I can confirm, that the Wiki is a very, very reliable source of information and probably the best one out there. Even "obvious" assumptions (e.g. before ACR, Bill M./Miles and William Miles (mentioned in The Fall) were kept as seperate articles, even though it was obvious that they are the same) get removed usually ;)

eagleforlife1
04-26-2012, 06:45 PM
I agree with SaintPerkele

MasterSimaYi
04-26-2012, 06:59 PM
Just because it's sourced doesn't mean people don't jump to conclusions.

If something is not fact, we do not put it on the wiki. Every form of speculation, assumption or unsourced information is removed. I'm not even sure what you mean by "conclusions."

LightRey
04-26-2012, 08:01 PM
If something is not fact, we do not put it on the wiki. Every form of speculation, assumption or unsourced information is removed. I'm not even sure what you mean by "conclusions."
Quite often when presented with fact A and B, people automatically assume that that results in fact C, when logically it does not necessarily have to, and it doesn't often enough. I'm not going into a discussion about the details, but I have seen it happen all too often on the wiki. It's a good source of information, but it's certainly not 100% reliable.

MasterSimaYi
04-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Quite often when presented with fact A and B, people automatically assume that that results in fact C, when logically it does not necessarily have to, and it doesn't often enough. I'm not going into a discussion about the details, but I have seen it happen all too often on the wiki. It's a good source of information, but it's certainly not 100% reliable.

Our reliability only goes as far as what we are given by Ubisoft. But we do not fill in any blanks as you are suggesting. I'd like you to give an example. You've made this statement, it would not be fair to not back it up with anything.

LightRey
04-26-2012, 08:11 PM
Our reliability only goes as far as what we are given by Ubisoft. But we do not fill in any blanks as you are suggesting. I'd like you to give an example. You've made this statement, it would not be fair to not back it up with anything.
I'm not trying to argue a point. Hence the lack of relevant sourcing. I'm merely speaking from personal experience and you can either believe me or not.

However, if you really do wish to go there I could always refer to the FragDolls stream fiasco.

MasterSimaYi
04-26-2012, 08:15 PM
I'm not trying to argue a point. Hence the lack of relevant sourcing. I'm merely speaking from personal experience and you can either believe me or not.

However, if you really do wish to go there I could always refer to the FragDolls stream fiasco.

I'm not trying to argue a point either, I'm just curious as to what "conclusions" you are talking about. But if you can't recall those personal experiences I don't know if they hold much relevance. And I've only heard of FragDolls but I didn't see their podcasts. I'd like to know about this "fiasco," can you direct me to it?

LightRey
04-26-2012, 08:44 PM
I'm not trying to argue a point either, I'm just curious as to what "conclusions" you are talking about. But if you can't recall those personal experiences I don't know if they hold much relevance. And I've only head of FragDolls but I didn't see their podcasts. I'd like to know about this "fiasco," can you direct me to it?
I never said I couldn't recall them. I said I wouldn't go into discussion about said specifics as that though technically could be considered still to be on topic, it easily leads to off topic discussion. Not to mention that I have little interest in starting such a discussion in the first place, especially now.

I am unable to find the original thread, but do a quick search of ACIII gameplay and/or Fragdolls on the forums (or on google if you add "Ubisoft forums") and you should find plenty of relevant info. It is regarding the live stream of the FragDolls. The AC wiki released a statement that they had received info directly from the FragDolls that the gameplay of ACIII to be shown at PAX East would be Live streamed (by the FragDolls of course). However, they had jumped to conclusions regarding the statement as this was clearly not the case, nor did the FragDolls at any point confirm this themselves. This is of course not AC story info, but it is still an example of what goes on in the AC Wiki community. The fact of the matter is that not all contributors to the wiki adhere to the scientific method or even logic in general and since a wiki is more than simply a mere compilation of statements, conclusions are eventually at some point derived from statements and occurrences in the games and placed on the wiki. It is unavoidable. With these 2 things it is not hard to see how it happens from time to time that people jump to conclusions without it being noticed. In the end the wikia isn't something like a scientific journal, so it will not be as strict or reliable as one.

MasterSimaYi
04-26-2012, 09:19 PM
I never said I couldn't recall them. I said I wouldn't go into discussion about said specifics as that though technically could be considered still to be on topic, it easily leads to off topic discussion. Not to mention that I have little interest in starting such a discussion in the first place, especially now.

I am unable to find the original thread, but do a quick search of ACIII gameplay and/or Fragdolls on the forums (or on google if you add "Ubisoft forums") and you should find plenty of relevant info. It is regarding the live stream of the FragDolls. The AC wiki released a statement that they had received info directly from the FragDolls that the gameplay of ACIII to be shown at PAX East would be Live streamed (by the FragDolls of course). However, they had jumped to conclusions regarding the statement as this was clearly not the case, nor did the FragDolls at any point confirm this themselves. This is of course not AC story info, but it is still an example of what goes on in the AC Wiki community. The fact of the matter is that not all contributors to the wiki adhere to the scientific method or even logic in general and since a wiki is more than simply a mere compilation of statements, conclusions are eventually at some point derived from statements and occurrences in the games and placed on the wiki. It is unavoidable. With these 2 things it is not hard to see how it happens from time to time that people jump to conclusions without it being noticed. In the end the wikia isn't something like a scientific journal, so it will not be as strict or reliable as one.

I don't know if you are aware but I've been a contributor to the Assassin's Creed Wiki for nearly three years now, an admin for over two years and one of the two current bureaucrats, and we never said anything about live streams nor have we ever had contact with the FragDolls at all, aside from Subject 16*, our ComDev. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, nor is it correct. I don't know where you have read that, but that could not have been on the wiki and could not have been written by one of our admins.

And yes, indeed, not everyone is aware of not adding info that is not confirmed, but even if they do it gets quickly deleted. The only thing that we have really been inaccurate about was Ezio being Altaïr's descendant - though he had always been enthusiastically called as such by Patrice Désilets during pre-AC2 intervies - and the in-game Apple of Eden being two different Apples, which I don't fully believe to have always been the case due to the Apple being brought to Italy from Cyprus in the same packaging-thing as the Apple found by Altaïr in Solomon's Temple was. But aside from that, no, I can't say we ever screwed up big time. Oh well, no point going on about that.

EDIT: It seems is was our ComDev who posted it on our Facebook page. He didn't hear it from the FragDolls but from other websites. It wasn't our mistake we were wrong on that, but theirs. Still, sorry, I wasn't aware of this.