PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Non-functional Details for patches, BoB and PF

nickdanger3
04-23-2004, 02:33 PM
One of my favorite threads in the General forum is the favorite details section. While it seems like you guys don't need help packing the game with these cool features, I thought of a couple. Just ideas.

Tanks, esp in the desert, creating dust clouds, not unlike AC takeoff right now.

Reflection of the pilot's face on the cockpit glass under certain lighting conditions.

Rain squalls - ie. localized showers.

Rainbows when/where appropriate.

Damage to the cockpit besides the gunsight and windscreen - ie. hole in the floor or side of ac.

Limping away when you bail from a plane and you've been wounded.

Anybody have more silly things for the programmers to work on?

nickdanger3
04-23-2004, 02:33 PM
One of my favorite threads in the General forum is the favorite details section. While it seems like you guys don't need help packing the game with these cool features, I thought of a couple. Just ideas.

Tanks, esp in the desert, creating dust clouds, not unlike AC takeoff right now.

Reflection of the pilot's face on the cockpit glass under certain lighting conditions.

Rain squalls - ie. localized showers.

Rainbows when/where appropriate.

Damage to the cockpit besides the gunsight and windscreen - ie. hole in the floor or side of ac.

Limping away when you bail from a plane and you've been wounded.

Anybody have more silly things for the programmers to work on?

LEXX_Luthor
04-23-2004, 03:11 PM
For framerate issues I would suggest Oleg modify the FB contrail grafix for dust clouds as they contrail grafix has no fps hits. The current FB dust clouds blown up to 100 times the size may be a problem for ground attack simmers/simmerettes.

Was reading a Barbarossa book yesterday in book store and a German general was Whining that the [summer 1941] Soviet aircraft went after the German vehicle columns dust clouds and attacked them. This was summer Russia in the Ukerane steppe and they kick up dust clouds like it was desert. Teh few Panzer tanks with dust filters got them all clogged up within a few hours. It only took them a few days after June 22 to see this was not France LOL.

"You will still have FB , you will lose nothing" ~WUAF_Badsight
"I had actually pre ordered CFS3 and I couldnt wait..." ~Bearcat99
"Gladiator and Falco, elegant weapons of a more civilized age" ~ElAurens
:
"Damn.....Where you did read about Spitfire made from a wood?
Close this book forever and don't open anymore!" ~Oleg_Maddox http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

IV_JG51_Razor
04-24-2004, 09:01 AM
I'd like to see a key command to open the bomb bay doors. For all the detail Oleg has put into this wonderful flight sim, it really surprises me that that little detail was omitted. I would like to be able to manage my fuel in a more detailed, and realistic manner than we have now.

I would like to see this "formulaeic" trim change that takes place with the application of the first notch of flaps get fixed. Each airplane has different trim change characteristics with the movement of the flaps depending on a whole bunch of things, but in FB they are pretty much the same for every type; put the first notch down, and the nose will pitch up. Put the first notch up, and the nose will pitch down. I know it's a little thing, but it bothers me none the less.

I'd like to see a little better engine damage modeling. I'd like to see a more accurate model of the engine that would not only "punish" you for running it at too high a power setting for too long (overtemp), but would also give you damage indications if you pulled the throttle off too quickly and shock cooled the engine. How about having a requirement for getting your engine oil temp up in the green before applying full power?

I don't believe that any of these things have anything to do with graphics, and I don't think they would affect FPS in any way.

Now for the eye candy http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'd like to see cloud levels at different altitudes. I'd also like to see weather conditions vary from one place on the map to another.

I'd like to see wind modeled in the game in a more realistic fashion than it is now. If there is a 20kt crosswind on takeoff every time there is a storm, then I'd like to see it affect the plane during the whole flight, not just while it's taking off. The dust cloud should also be affected by the wind.

The wakes of the ships should be longer/more visible. The roads and rail lines should stand out more than they do now. Think back when you last flew in an airliner at above 30K feet. On a clear day, you can easily see the smallest country roads and rail lines, not to mention highways. I'd also like to see a bit more contrast around the airfields.

These are just a few of the things I'd like to see implimented/changed to improve my immersion level in this game, but are in no way an indication of any dissatisfaction I have with FB. Oleg has set the standard for all future flight sims, and if none of these things were ever done, it would not make me love this game any less than I do already.

Razor
IV/JG51 Intelligence Officer
www.jg51.net (http://www.jg51.net)

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from poor judgement"