PDA

View Full Version : RockSmith with Constant Online DRM for PC?

TheMotionblur
04-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Assuming that the game will use DRM on PC...
As the title says: what kind of activation will RockSmith use as DRM.

Will players on the PC be forced to have constant internet connection?
Will the game be available on Steam as well?

rockabillybaby
04-13-2012, 02:03 PM

Oooh, that's a good question, one I don't know the answer to. BUT it seems like they may be doing away with that for the Rocksmith titles. We'll see how things go once the PC version drops!

TheMotionblur
04-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Hey - thanks for the quick reply.

Personally I'd be willing to pay more for this for a version without the DRM. DRM for me really has become a make-and-break criteria for games on PC these days so I'll have my fingers crossed.
Rocksmith so far has earned to be the first game I've preordered at all and - the day I learned about it. So I'll keep hoping.

rockabillybaby
04-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Hey - thanks for the quick reply.

Personally I'd be willing to pay more for this for a version without the DRM. DRM for me really has become a make-and-break criteria for games on PC these days so I'll have my fingers crossed.
Rocksmith so far has earned to be the first game I've preordered at all and - the day I learned about it. So I'll keep hoping.
I agree. I just hope they get wise with a lot of other games and see how the public responds.

gargravar
04-13-2012, 02:41 PM
I hope it doesn't require constant connection. Maybe one day when the Internet is reliable in my neck of the woods but even then I hate having to jump through hoops because I choose to purchase software.

Braintrust18
04-13-2012, 11:41 PM
I think the developer could get away with not using much DRM. To play the game you need the real tone cable and a guitar. That is a little more investment than a typical pirate would make. I suppose they may worry about people pirating DLC. So you may see more DRM around it. For example you may need a connection to play DLC.

JTCoop
04-14-2012, 12:34 AM
Drm????

rchiav
04-14-2012, 01:15 AM
I think the developer could get away with not using much DRM. To play the game you need the real tone cable and a guitar. That is a little more investment than a typical pirate would make. I suppose they may worry about people pirating DLC. So you may see more DRM around it. For example you may need a connection to play DLC.

I'm hoping you don't have to use a real tone cable and can get away with an existing audio interface. I'm also interested in what the restrictions will be around installing on multiple machines. I'd personally like it if you could install on multiple machines, but you accessed your content by signing into an account.

Steel_Nirvana
04-14-2012, 01:27 AM
Drm????

Digital Rights Management. There are various techniques, but it's all aimed at stopping people pirating content.

JTCoop
04-14-2012, 01:56 AM
Digital Rights Management. There are various techniques, but it's all aimed at stopping people pirating content.

Ah. Thanks. I guessed the "digital" right. Couldn't figure out the other two letters of the TLA. . .

ravenreaver
04-14-2012, 03:02 AM

While I understand the reasoning for this it actually screws up my entire reasoning for wanting it on the PC to begin with. I want to be able to take Rocksmith to places without the internet and play with my friends while on Vacation...

EnduroDoug
04-14-2012, 05:37 PM
I definitely recommend those of you looking into the PC build do a little research on the struggles people have had with Ubi games in particular, regarding their DRM, server instability, and down-time.

Here's a good synopsis from a blog I've been reading daily for a decade now.

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/search?q=ubisoft+drm

ravenreaver
04-15-2012, 12:00 PM
I hate to sound like an *** but that is why I refuse to play games that require DRM. If I'm going to pay $60 for a game that I'm not playing online with friends then I want to be able to play it any time I wish to. I can't do that with games that need constant DRM. First off I live in a largely rural area where the internet connection is poor and at times spotty for days on end. It's far too unreliable to actually play. Secondly, when I travel I tend to go places where I have no internet and I tend to game while I'm there. Having to connect to a DRM server and remain connected every single time is more than an inconvenience to people in my situation it feels like robbery or extortion from the game company. After all they're limiting my options of how I can use something I paid them to be able to play. Now, now don't get me wrong I understand the entire preventing pirates and stuff that they're trying to do with DRM, but to be honest if a person is going to pirate the game they're going to be able to remove the DRM from the game. It's been done before and will happen again all the while people who, like me, would rather actually purchase the game have to suffer the restraints of the DRM. I'm all game for less drastic DRM say connect to the internet once every few weeks or something like that to verify that you're the only one using that license and such. That's perfectly fine by me, but requiring a connection every time I play something is by all means something that I find too limiting to justify subjecting myself to. If I had better access to internet, especially while traveling and on the road, my opinion wouldn't be quite so negative because I do understand the fact that protecting your profit margins is a good thing.

Black_Widow9
04-15-2012, 07:54 PM
We will have to wait until the details of the PC version are released before we know what it will include or not include. ;) Anything up until that point is speculation.

WickedBadz
04-15-2012, 11:11 PM
Everyone who plays PC games knows Ubisoft's stance on DRM with them. Don't expect to play this title offline unless Ubisoft goes a complete opposite direction of what they stand for currently.

Jotamide
06-08-2012, 09:12 PM
Everyone who plays PC games knows Ubisoft's stance on DRM with them. Don't expect to play this title offline unless Ubisoft goes a complete opposite direction of what they stand for currently.
Well, recent Ubi titles have only needed a one-time activation and that's it (Rayman Origins). I think they're reflecting on their past mistakes, now we even have Assassin's Creed on GOG.com (DRM-free store).

Even if this game needs something like always-online DRM (which is not the end of the world). DO NOT, by any means use one of the following:
1 - SecuROM
2 - GFWL
3 - Machine activation limits

Any of those are deal breakers for 90% of PC gamers.

toymachinesh
06-08-2012, 10:33 PM

Rayman Origins didn't have DRM

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/26/rayman-origins-coming-to-pc-drm-free/

ihateubidrm
06-08-2012, 10:58 PM
I'm so much looking forward to the PC version.

I will be getting the DRM free version.
I just hope that I can purchase the DRM free version so that the devs get their fair share.

Purchasing a product crippled with DRM is not an option for me :cool:

vivekchamp
10-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Sorry for digging this thread, but the question which DRM Rocksmith uses haven't been answered yet, and i want to know this before i (eventually) buy it.

toymachinesh
10-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Sorry for digging this thread, but the question which DRM Rocksmith uses haven't been answered yet, and i want to know this before i (eventually) buy it.

It uses the Steam kind

dreddfoxx
10-18-2012, 06:08 PM
It uses the Steam kind
Yes, it uses steam. All of it's content is encrypted by (I'm assuming) the steam API. Probably because they don't want people to create there own songs.
I'm not sure if it still happens (i pre-ordered), but when browsing in the rocksmith directory I found two unencrypted xml files for the bass versions of "Jeremy" and "LimeLife".
It was interesting to see what they do to create the charts.

toymachinesh
10-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Yes, it uses steam. All of it's content is encrypted by (I'm assuming) the steam API. Probably because they don't want people to create there own songs.
I'm not sure if it still happens (i pre-ordered), but when browsing in the rocksmith directory I found two unencrypted xml files for the bass versions of "Jeremy" and "LimeLife".

*nods* that's how we found out about the upcoming Rush and A7X DLC (http://theherofeed.com/4780/rocksmith-beta-reveals-upcoming-rush-and-a7x-dlc/)

isenhart17
10-18-2012, 07:00 PM
So does rocksmith works with offline mode with steam? i've never tried

i guess the only thing that won't work with the offline mode would be the cloud saving right?

Brick235
10-18-2012, 08:41 PM
Yes it works offline. You just have to be online to download the game, dlc or any updates.

isenhart17
10-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Do you have to be online to put it offline?

my friend told me he has to do that so some game work with his laptop when he goes offshore

TheZoc
10-18-2012, 09:48 PM

Do you happen to have a backup of those files ? I'm curious how their format looks like :)

ZumaRocks
10-18-2012, 10:24 PM
Do you have to be online to put it offline?

my friend told me he has to do that so some game work with his laptop when he goes offshore

No, if you are offline when the computer starts Steam lets you start offline. I've played RS at lunch at work the past two days on my home laptop. That laptop has no internet connection at work.

dreddfoxx
10-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Do you happen to have a backup of those files ? I'm curious how their format looks like :)
Sent you a PM

isenhart17
10-19-2012, 08:11 PM
nice thanks for the answer