PDA

View Full Version : AC3 on Two Discs?

JoziPython14
04-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Just a bit curious here but I'm just wondering if AC3 for the 360 will be on two discs considering the size of the game with the Frontier already being 1.5 times the size of Brotherhoods map and New York and Boston each being 80% the size of Brotherhoods map? I don't want this to be like ME3 where you're constantly changing between Disc 1 and 2 just to play a single side mission. Don't get me wrong this game will be AMAZING (I hope) but it will seriously take me out of the experience having to change discs all the time!

MoneyForBoobs
04-08-2012, 06:32 PM
u`ll just change it once, not bad really

TagDoll
04-08-2012, 06:35 PM
no i don't think it will be on two disc dont worry :)

freddie_1897
04-08-2012, 06:40 PM
Maybe SP on one MP on the other?

playassassins1
04-08-2012, 06:43 PM
What. i just got one disc with ME3. i never had to switch discs.

UrDeviant1
04-08-2012, 06:44 PM
What. i just got one disc with ME3. i never had witch discs

:rolleyes:

Captain Tomatoz
04-08-2012, 06:45 PM
What. i just got one disc with ME3. i never had witch discs

ME3 for xbox 360 had 2 disks because there wasn't enough space for the game on dvd disks. Whereas ps3 have blu ray so it could all fit on the same disk. If AC3 has 2 disks then it will only be for xbox 360

MoneyForBoobs
04-08-2012, 06:45 PM
:rolleyes:

BWAHAHAHAHAHA xD

freddie_1897
04-08-2012, 06:46 PM
Aren't all you ME3 fans getting a free alternate ending?

xx-pyro
04-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Play on PS3 so this doesn't affect me. Considering how vast they are trying to make AC3 appear, I'd be genuinely surprised if it doesn't take 2 DVD discs.

playassassins1
04-08-2012, 06:49 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAHA xD

what is so funny about my post.... huh...

Subject J80
04-08-2012, 06:49 PM

Nope, just an extended cut, free DLC. The DLC keeps the artistic integrity of the original endings and gives more closure to the fans who seek it.

reini03
04-08-2012, 06:50 PM

Hmm... no.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-05-bioware-announces-mass-effect-3-extended-cut

Edit: crap, too slow.

pacmanate
04-08-2012, 06:57 PM
I hope its not on 2 discs :S

gamertam
04-08-2012, 07:33 PM
I don't mind the two-disc IF that's the case. I usually install immediately into the hard drive. Still how does it works? after you install disc one, will you be notice with a message to put in a disc two and continue with the installation?

Will_Lucky
04-08-2012, 07:38 PM
I hope so, hopefully its a seperate SP and MP disc that way I'll never have to touch disc two.

pacmanate
04-08-2012, 07:58 PM
2 discs would make more sense for this, one for SP, one for MP.

LightRey
04-08-2012, 08:01 PM
The MP doesn't take up that much space.

TagDoll
04-08-2012, 08:04 PM
i highly doubt that it will be on 2 discs

ajl992008
04-08-2012, 08:04 PM
dont forget there may be co-op as well, so one disk for sp and one for mp and co-op, however i dont think the sp will even fit on 1 disc as in a game informer interview, corey may says they couldnt fit everything into ac2, they had to remove a baptistry from florence becuase they couldnt fit it in the game so who knows it could even be 3 discs......

xx-pyro
04-08-2012, 08:05 PM
The MP doesn't take up that much space.

This. One of my biggest pet peeves on this forum is people saying stop doing MP focus on SP (despite the fact that I don't play the MP regardless.) It really doesn't take up that many resources and cutting it wouldn't add anything to SP it would just remove the MP element of the game. But I digress :rolleyes:

reddragonhrcro
04-08-2012, 08:10 PM
And the fact that MP is done by a seperate team that doesnīt work on the SP is what they havenīt figured out yet it seems.

JCearlyyears
04-08-2012, 08:13 PM
I like games that are on more than one disc. Sometimes it feels like the game is longer, especially if it were to be more than one on the ps3. I know that multiple discs does not quite indicate size. Just look at rage. I beat that on nightmare in about 7 hours.

ChotaDon1
04-08-2012, 08:54 PM
The more discs the better, it just means there's a lot more to the game then the previous assassins creeds, the people that want 1 disc are essentially asking Ubisoft to downgrade the game and leave parts of the game out. :mad: but this doesnt affect me as I'll be playing it on the PS3 anyway.

ajl992008
04-08-2012, 09:32 PM
to the people saying mp doesnt take up much space....where is your proof? sure it will take up less space than sp but no way is it going to say take up say 10% of the disc, acr had 14 maps i think with many abilities, personas etc plus there where those videos telling the templar story, and the articles, and the dialogue of templars to immerse you into the experience so YES it does take up a healthy amount of space, should it be removed? of course not, it is a very innovative feature, a lot of fans like it and so far it hasnt affected the singleplayer aspect, the yearly releases have more effect as they dont have as much time to optimise and compress data. mp is not the isue

GeneralTrumbo
04-08-2012, 09:37 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with several discs if it means the game will be bigger. If less discs equals less content, I would much rather have several discs.

LightRey
04-08-2012, 09:44 PM
to the people saying mp doesnt take up much space....where is your proof? sure it will take up less space than sp but no way is it going to say take up say 10% of the disc, acr had 14 maps i think with many abilities, personas etc plus there where those videos telling the templar story, and the articles, and the dialogue of templars to immerse you into the experience so YES it does take up a healthy amount of space, should it be removed? of course not, it is a very innovative feature, a lot of fans like it and so far it hasnt affected the singleplayer aspect, the yearly releases have more effect as they dont have as much time to optimise and compress data. mp is not the isue
No, it really doesn't. 90% of the MP space is taken up by the maps and if you put all the MP maps together you at best get something the size of Cappadocia. Btw, you are the one with the burden of evidence, not us. Show us proof that it takes up significant space.

TorQue1988
04-08-2012, 09:48 PM
On PC, Assassin's Creed Revelations has 9,6 GB out of which 1,5 GB is the multiplayer. So it's not that much.

LightRey
04-08-2012, 09:50 PM
On PC, Assassin's Creed Revelations has 9,6 GB out of which 1,5 GB is the multiplayer. So it's not that much.
So it's about. 15%

GeneralTrumbo
04-08-2012, 09:50 PM
That is still a fairly big amount of space being taken.

lfc908
04-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Thankfully it will only be on one disc for me on PS3 but it would suck for Xboxers to have to change disc when going to certain places.

GeneralTrumbo
04-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Thankfully it will only be on one disc for me on PS3 but it would suck for Xboxers to have to change disc when going to certain places.
I don't mind it. =P

TorQue1988
04-08-2012, 09:53 PM
I don't mind it. =P
Considering i will get the PC version i wouldn't mind if it has more than 5 discs:D

LightRey
04-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Meh, it's not really that big a deal. As long as they don't do it per area it should be fine.

ajl992008
04-08-2012, 10:04 PM
No, it really doesn't. 90% of the MP space is taken up by the maps and if you put all the MP maps together you at best get something the size of Cappadocia. Btw, you are the one with the burden of evidence, not us. Show us proof that it takes up significant space.

i never said i had proof and that was a bit rude, i was trying to think logically. torque1998 gave the evidence so i am now corrected. i see i may have come off as abit rude myself, if so im sorry.

Subject J80
04-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Meh, it's not really that big a deal. As long as they don't do it per area it should be fine.

If it was two discs they could do it at a certain stage in years/sequence?

LightRey
04-08-2012, 10:11 PM
If it was two discs they could do it at a certain stage in years/sequence?
preferably, though that would still be a problem with replaying memories. :/
I doubt it'll be a multiple disc game though.

pacmanate
04-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Jeez, imagine that. One disc for frontier, one for boston and one for new york. D:

LightRey
04-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Jeez, imagine that. One disc for frontier, one for boston and one for new york. D:
In a way that would be both amazing and annoying.

creed of killer
04-08-2012, 11:22 PM
I think the game will be contained on one disk for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC.

Why I think this is because technology is getting better and better, so discs that can handle much more data are being created. In 1981, Bill Gates said that "640 k ought to be enough for anyone". Ha! is there even a computerprogram that require so little space today?

The first version of World of Warcraft had 5 discs... the "remake" that are sold today all the data from the first editon is contained on ONE disc... so the disces could contaion 5 times more data after the time of some years...
Never underestimate the power of the technology today... even the first iPhone could contain and and manage all the technology NASA used when the first man landed on the moon

This is WHY I THINK AC 3 will be "just" one disc and not two, three or four...

JCearlyyears
04-08-2012, 11:47 PM
I wish the systems had a 6 disc changer so people wouldn't have to worry about changing the disc.

De Filosoof
04-09-2012, 12:38 AM
Just a bit curious here but I'm just wondering if AC3 for the 360 will be on two discs considering the size of the game with the Frontier already being 1.5 times the size of Brotherhoods map and New York and Boston each being 80% the size of Brotherhoods map? I don't want this to be like ME3 where you're constantly changing between Disc 1 and 2 just to play a single side mission. Don't get me wrong this game will be AMAZING (I hope) but it will seriously take me out of the experience having to change discs all the time!

Really? switching game discs is too much work for you?...*sigh*...

morpheusPrime08
04-09-2012, 12:48 AM

Changing the disc really changed your experience with the game, it takes 5 sec lazy ***.

Jamison_J_B
04-09-2012, 01:20 AM
I think the game will be contained on one disk for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC.

Why I think this is because technology is getting better and better, so discs that can handle much more data are being created. In 1981, Bill Gates said that "640 k ought to be enough for anyone". Ha! is there even a computerprogram that require so little space today?

DVD9 (Dual-Layer/Single Side) has a space of 8.5GB. Now companies do tweak the writable space somewhat...But if we have a game (ACIII), with what is thought to be (big gamespace - with lots of things to do) and the entire game is =>8.5GB I will be worried and somewhat disappointed.

Captain Tomatoz
04-09-2012, 09:10 AM
DVD9 (Dual-Layer/Single Side) has a space of 8.5GB. Now companies do tweak the writable space somewhat...But if we have a game (ACIII), with what is thought to be (big gamespace - with lots of things to do) and the entire game is =>8.5GB I will be worried and somewhat disappointed.

Skyrim was 3.8GB disk size on the 360 and that game had loads of things to do and had a massive open world. The amount space a game takes up has no relation to the length/enjoyability of the game.

pacmanate
04-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Skyrim was 3.8GB disk size on the 360 and that game had loads of things to do and had a massive open world. The amount space a game takes up has no relation to the length/enjoyability of the game.

Actually when you say Skyrim was 3.8GB on disc then AC3 should fit on one disc. Reason being is because Skyrim had like a MILLION quests on in the background of the game. AC3 won't have nearly the same amount because its more of a linear game.

ajl992008
04-09-2012, 04:38 PM
I wish the systems had a 6 disc changer so people wouldn't have to worry about changing the disc.

instead of doing that they should just incorporate blue ray technology or an improved version of it, it would be easier for people who are lazy and its more cost effective for game companies and console manufacturers.

LightRey
04-09-2012, 04:40 PM
instead of doing that they should just incorporate blue ray technology or an improved version of it, it would be easier for people who are lazy and its more cost effective for game companies and console manufacturers.
It's only more cost effective if games actually exceed the maximum size of what a DVD can hold.

Captain Tomatoz
04-09-2012, 04:45 PM
It's only more cost effective if games actually exceed the maximum size of what a DVD can hold.

Yeah. Having to pay sony royalties if they use blu ray doesn't help with that :D

pirate1802
04-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Considering i will get the PC version i wouldn't mind if it has more than 5 discs:D

Lulz same here, never had any problem with multi-discs :P

Josegtx13
04-09-2012, 04:56 PM
I honestly, wouldn't mind if it was on two discs or not. I just want the game.

LightRey
04-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Yeah. Having to pay sony royalties if they use blu ray doesn't help with that :D
Yup, that too. I can very well imagine that MS refrained from implementing it even in the new model Xbox 360, because of that very reason.

JoziPython14
04-09-2012, 05:32 PM
@morpheusPrime08
I never said it changed my experience, read the post again and I clearly said that it takes me OUT of the experience, I can jump back in it in a few minutes. :| By the way calling people names honestly just makes you look childish.

@thijs_bijlsma
Like someone said before if there was a disc for each individual area (Frontier, Boston, etc.) that wouldn't be a hassle - for me anyway. I just didn't like the way they did it for ME3, only game I have a slight gripe with concerning that so yeah...

Thanks for all the feedback guys, appreciate it! :)

siko4life
06-15-2012, 07:55 AM
Well, Skyrim wasn't in 2 discs, and skyrim was also a huge game. I'm not sure though because it didn't have online but lets hope for the best, eh?

De Filosoof
06-15-2012, 11:06 AM
I really hope the game will be on 2 discs, that way they don't have to leave cool stuff out or dumb it down.
I don't think all these things will fit on 1 dvd.

- Bigger and longer story than AC2
- Changing seasons.
- Frontier 150% as big as Rome, Boston 80% as big as Rome, New York 80% as big as rome.
- Some of the most beatiful graphics, textures and physics i've seen (i think skyrim was really ugly and not comparible at all).
- Caribbean freeroam.
- The water effects are amazing, almost looks like next gen.
- The cities are really dense (There are even rats and other animals on the streets).
- Multiplayer.
etc...

So please put it on 2 discs ubisoft, it's not that expensive.

Krayus Korianis
06-15-2012, 11:59 AM
It'll be one disc. :| All you people going crazy about this is just nuttier than squirrel poo.

Saar Ben Kiki
06-15-2012, 01:18 PM
im really worrying over this type of issue...
i HATE two discs for xbox!

De Filosoof
06-15-2012, 02:34 PM
im really worrying over this type of issue...
i HATE two discs for xbox!

Why? What's the problem with 2 discs.

Assassin_M
06-15-2012, 02:38 PM
I dont know about X-box..
But I ca guarantee that it`ll be on only one disc for the PS 3

notafanboy
06-15-2012, 02:39 PM
NOT ON PS3 IT WONīT HAHAHAHA!... oops... i forgot i wasnīt a fanboy

gamertam
06-16-2012, 07:40 PM
Max Payne 3 is a two-disc game on the Xbox 360. I have it. Disc one contains half of single player campaign and the multi-player. Disc two is the the second half of the single player campaign. It's not a massive game like Skyrim, but it require two discs. Please have it on a two discs. If it mean not leaving out contents then so be it. I really don't have a problem changing game disc while playing a game, like Max Payne 3.

GunnarGunderson
06-16-2012, 07:56 PM
it should be on two discs. Limiting the size of the game shouldn't be done for any reason if it's at all possible to avoid

pacmanate
06-16-2012, 08:47 PM
But how would that even work?! What if one disc is the fronteir and the other is boston and new york. Every time you want to free roam to a new place you would have to swap discs, that would be so stupid!

Jexx21
06-17-2012, 01:30 AM
Actually when you say Skyrim was 3.8GB on disc then AC3 should fit on one disc. Reason being is because Skyrim had like a MILLION quests on in the background of the game. AC3 won't have nearly the same amount because its more of a linear game.

Err.. dude.. your logic is horrible.

Assassin's Creed 1 is larger than Skyrim in terms of how many gigabytes the game takes up.

Assassin's Creed 1 PC: 6.7 GB
Skyrim PC: 5.6 GB

Skyrim's data files take up less space than Assassin's Creed because there either aren't as many textures or they are smaller in data size than Assassin's Creed. Skyrim is just efficient in data management.

How large a game is in file size doesn't really give a real example of how large the game is in scope and quests.

For example, Arkham City is around 17 GB, but it's not as long as Skyrim can be. Also, think of some older RPGs, like one of Skyrim's predecessors, Morrowind. It was released in 2002, and can still provide 100 hours of play on a single character like Skyrim can, and it's only 1.1 GB in size.

However, since AC3's graphics look fairly good, I wouldn't be surprised if it took up to 15 GB on PC, because ACB and ACR are a little over 10 GB on PC each (not combined).

Evenesque
06-17-2012, 02:30 AM

Assassin's Creed 1 is larger than Skyrim in terms of how many gigabytes the game takes up.

Skyrim's data files take up less space than Assassin's Creed because there either aren't as many textures or they are smaller in data size than Assassin's Creed. Skyrim is just efficient in data management.

How large a game is in file size doesn't really give a real example of how large the game is in scope and quests.

For example, Arkham City is around 17 GB, but it's not as long as Skyrim can be. Also, think of some older RPGs, like one of Skyrim's predecessors, Morrowind. It was released in 2002, and can still provide 100 hours of play on a single character like Skyrim can, and it's only 1.1 GB in size.

However, since AC3's graphics look fairly good, I wouldn't be surprised if it took up to 15 GB on PC, because ACB and ACR are a little over 10 GB on PC each (not combined).

How much space and resources a game takes up depends most heavily on the smaller engines that make up the game. AC1's game engine is pretty resource heavy, most likely because it has to constantly have it's predictive free-running runtimes active all the time, and that makes that process pretty big, making it a large resource hog. Skyrim's engine is resourced pretty efficiently on PC anyway, because the game doesn't need so many active player-action predictive runtimes going constantly. Plus, AC1 was a first attempt at a game system, and it's developers have even said it started out and kept most of it's life as a tech demo. Those are usually pretty rough in terms of size and resource management because it's more like a test before refinement gets implemented.

Arkham games are pretty big in terms of resource size because of the engines running under the hood. There's a lot of logos that show up for sub-engines before the title screen when you tart up that game. All of those have to pull from somewhere, and all of those are on the disc running at full speed. How a game is constructed story-wise has less to do with it's size and more to do with the pieces of machinery that allow it to function.

In any case, AC games have more active, player action background engines running constantly than most games on the market because of the frenetic pace of things the player can do at any given time. And the free-running engine is very unique, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the game's engine is based on it's interaction with the rest of the world considering it's a live, predictive process that's got to be running all the time, and interacting with almost everything in the world.

Jexx21
06-17-2012, 02:35 AM
Didn't know that, thanks for the info.

But yea, I expect AC3 to take up a large amount of space, I wouldn't be surprised if it came on two disks for the Xbox.
I won't have to deal with that problem though as you can run most PC games now without a disk, and if it requires a disk it's usually the first disk in the game because you install the info from the other disks onto the PC.

Evenesque
06-17-2012, 02:57 AM
Didn't know that, thanks for the info.

But yea, I expect AC3 to take up a large amount of space, I wouldn't be surprised if it came on two disks for the Xbox.
I won't have to deal with that problem though as you can run most PC games now without a disk, and if it requires a disk it's usually the first disk in the game because you install the info from the other disks onto the PC.

Yea, and we have to take into consideration the fact that AC has mutiplayer to run that's always on the disc, and AC3's got it's own (what im assuming is in-house) weather and ocean engine that dictate the physics in naval combat. That's a lot of stuff running under the hood of that game.

Jexx21
06-17-2012, 03:10 AM
I wonder how UbiSoft is even getting this game to run on the PS3, as it probably require more oomph than Skyrim and Skyrim can hardly run on the PS3.

And hell, Skyrim's system check put me at low quality on PC. I can run all the other AC games on max.

I guess AC is well optimized so it can run on low reqs, while Skyrim is well optimized in how much space it takes up.

Either way, AC3 looks BA and I can't wait to play it. A long time ago someone compared how they played Oblivion and AC1 at the same time to how they were playing ACR and Skyrim at the same time, and he said that AC1 felt just as awesome as Oblivion, and that he didn't think ACR felt just as awesome as Skyrim. I guess what he failed to notice was that the release of Oblivion and AC1 were 2 years apart. I hope AC3 is to Skyrim as AC1 was to Oblivion for him. I think that would be even more accentuated by AC3's more RPG-ish mechanics, including hunting, not to mention the winter environments.

Evenesque
06-17-2012, 03:24 AM
I wonder how UbiSoft is even getting this game to run on the PS3, as it probably require more oomph than Skyrim and Skyrim can hardly run on the PS3.

And hell, Skyrim's system check put me at low quality on PC. I can run all the other AC games on max.

I guess AC is well optimized so it can run on low reqs, while Skyrim is well optimized in how much space it takes up.

Either way, AC3 looks BA and I can't wait to play it. A long time ago someone compared how they played Oblivion and AC1 at the same time to how they were playing ACR and Skyrim at the same time, and he said that AC1 felt just as awesome as Oblivion, and that he didn't think ACR felt just as awesome as Skyrim. I guess what he failed to notice was that the release of Oblivion and AC1 were 2 years apart. I hope AC3 is to Skyrim as AC1 was to Oblivion for him. I think that would be even more accentuated by AC3's more RPG-ish mechanics, including hunting, not to mention the winter environments.

I have utmost faith in the PS3 version of AC3, considering sony has dumped a ton of investment money into it's PS3 development and promotion, and they told EVERYONE about it at E3. All of the demos are on PS3 that we've seen so far, and I've seen nothing wrong with them, so Sony's backing them pretty hard.

Turul.
06-17-2012, 03:27 AM
Well all the steal casings they gave out during the preorder scramble a few months ago only has 1 slot for a disc soo......id say its safe to assume you only need 1 disc

Jexx21
06-17-2012, 03:27 AM
Yea, that's true.

I heard that AC was originally planned to be a PS3-exclusive series anyway.

And one demo was on the Wii U btw.

Evenesque
06-17-2012, 03:28 AM
Yea, that's true.

I heard that AC was originally planned to be a PS3-exclusive series anyway.

And one demo was on the Wii U btw.

Yea, forgot about that Boston demo. There's more than one version of it, and I've seen it played on PS3. Looked pretty good.

AnthonyA85
06-17-2012, 03:57 AM
You'd be surprised how much you can fit on a standard DVD these days, i'm not exactly sure how they work out the capacity when they're making the discs, but i'm pretty sure they can make them as big as they want/need to.

NavySealsGuy
06-17-2012, 04:15 AM
Its ridiculous for this game to be on 2 discs. It won't be that long. And even if it is its no hassle to switch the disks once or twice. I only had to switch once for both Mass Effects, people over complain about it

Evenesque
06-17-2012, 04:16 AM
You'd be surprised how much you can fit on a standard DVD these days, i'm not exactly sure how they work out the capacity when they're making the discs, but i'm pretty sure they can make them as big as they want/need to.

My only system is PS3, and since the game is being touted on PS3 so much, and the PS3 discs are blu-ray, I'm not concerned at all with how big the game is. As long as it's at least the same size as the more recent games, I will be happy.

Jexx21
06-17-2012, 04:22 AM
Its ridiculous for this game to be on 2 discs. It won't be that long. And even if it is its no hassle to switch the disks once or twice. I only had to switch once for both Mass Effects, people over complain about it

There were three Mass Effects.

masterfenix2009
06-17-2012, 07:51 AM
There were three Mass Effects.

And the third Mass Effect required 4 switchings.

ProletariatPleb
06-17-2012, 07:55 AM
Switching discs....First world problems, lol

freddie_1897
06-17-2012, 08:49 AM
none of this matters when you've got a PS3

Jexx21
06-17-2012, 04:50 PM
^
or a PC.

Turul.
06-17-2012, 08:27 PM
i find this whole thing hilarious.

switching discs takes about 5 seconds

obliviondoll
06-17-2012, 08:27 PM

I think I'll add another example for you guys.

Any of you know what the largest free-roam environment in gaming history is?

Frontier: Elite II (and the sequel, Frontier: First Encounters, since it's built on the same tech in the same universe)

You can fit TWO COPIES OF THAT GAME ON A 1.44MB FLOPPY DISK WITH ROOM TO SPARE FOR SAVES.

Moral of the story: Gameworld size isn't necessarily the deciding factor in how much media space the game requires. If it was, the Elite games would still be WAY beyond the limits of current-gen data storage technology.