PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions about AC3 realism

pacmanate
04-04-2012, 01:39 PM
I know most people can't answer this question but I would like your views on it. I was just looking at the picture and was thinking about the stairs and walls.... Basically I am playing Uncharted 3 again and the animations are fantastic in them. One that I like the most is when you run into a wall and change direction and Nathan (the character you play as) kind of crumples into the wall, puts his hands on the wall to stop himself, then stumble runs away from the wall. Do you guys WANT this in? The reason I love it so much is that it just makes the game feel more real. Also the stairs, these bug me in AC games. I don't like the way that you kind of glide over the stairs when you walk on them. In Uncharted games the character kind kind of slow jog up the stairs, hitting every slab on the way up. Whilst running up stairs in Uncharted, Nathan will run up the stairs 2 steps at a time. These things are very small but all add realism. Would you guys like to have a proper stair animation?
http://cdn.medialib.computerandvideogames.com/screens/screenshot_280611_thumb_wide940.jpg

Assassin_M
04-04-2012, 01:42 PM
I have been asking for the stairs since GTA IV..
But this year it seems they`re going all out, so there is a 90% chance that it`ll be in..

pacmanate
04-04-2012, 01:47 PM
I have been asking for the stairs since GTA IV..
But this year it seems they`re going all out, so there is a 90% chance that it`ll be in..

Yeah hopefully, I think I read that he does react to walls and stuff but I can't remember, might be a fantasy. But those stairs in that picture do look too steep to glide up right?

BBALive
04-04-2012, 01:48 PM
The first thing is already in. In a Gameinformer video the guy talks about the AC demonstration and mentions that Connor reacts to the environment (The example he gave was Connor placing his foot on a tree when backed up against in). With this in-mind, I assume there will also be a proper stair animation

TorQue1988
04-04-2012, 01:50 PM
"Animation is a new quality Connor - a character perfectly adapts to any obstacles in the environment avoiding them in a smooth and natural."
​http://www.gamepur.com/news/7643-new-assassins-creed-iii-details-psx-extreme-magazine.html
I don't know how relevant this is, considering it's google translate, but i have heard it in different interviews and i think it's quite confirmed that the game will have contextual animations like Uncharted.

UrDeviant1
04-04-2012, 02:22 PM
I really like the Idea of being able to move close to something and Interacting with It, without the need to press a b-utton. Something like It was mentioned In a preview where Connor leaned with his back against a tree and automatically placed his foot back on It, then kicked himself of It when he moved away.

Another example was recently mentioned In a Podcast that EscoBlade took part In, where Connor was running down the street, past a table when he suddenly reached out and picked up a gun, without the player pressing a b-utton.

You could compare It to the sequence at the end of Revelations where Ezio was making his way to Alair's Library, lighting the torches as you moved closer to them. It's only a small thing but It felt really satisfying In some way.

oliacr
04-04-2012, 03:24 PM
good idea.

Assassin_M
04-04-2012, 03:42 PM
good idea.
You seriously need to keep up to date on whats going on in a thread -__-

SixKeys
04-04-2012, 04:02 PM
I seem to recall the devs mentioned there will be animations for climbing stairs. Can't remember where it was but I must've read it somewhere since it stuck with me, personally I've never had a problem with the way Ezio or Alta´r climbed stairs before but I knew it was something many people had been wanting to change.

GuZZ33
04-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Yeah really well done animations add to the immersion of realism in video games. I read over at ROCKY's ghostrecon.net main news site that Ubisoft's Ghost Recon Future Soldier uses around 2,500 animations to make the main character look and move as realistically as possible, wow good stuff imho.

Subject J80
04-04-2012, 04:33 PM
The two part Gametrailers interview also stated when Connor was in fighting animation and got pushed against a tree he put his foot back on it, the interview said that this was super cool as he knew how hard it was for devs to program/code that type of animation. They also said they had coded animation for fighting on sloped and uneven surfaces, so I'm thinking we'll have reactive animations to the environment.

KillGhast
04-04-2012, 04:49 PM
The two part Gametrailers interview also stated when Connor was in fighting animation and got pushed against a tree he put his foot back on it, the interview said that this was super cool as he knew how hard it was for devs to program/code that type of animation. They also said they had coded animation for fighting on sloped and uneven surfaces, so I'm thinking we'll have reactive animations to the environment.

Yea I also readed this, sounds awesome!

Cornik22
04-04-2012, 04:54 PM
I seem to recall the devs mentioned there will be animations for climbing stairs. Can't remember where it was but I must've read it somewhere since it stuck with me, personally I've never had a problem with the way Ezio or Alta´r climbed stairs before but I knew it was something many people had been wanting to change.

I also remember them saying in some interview there would be stair animations this time, so yeah.

goclo822
04-04-2012, 10:19 PM
With the amount of realism they've added to the game, I find it hard to believe that proper stair animation wouldn't be added. It's one of the first things that comes to mind when thinking of animation realism. So I'd assume that is definitely added. Not sure about the wall one but as everyone has already said, the interview that talks about Conner reacting to a tree seems to confirm something similar to what you mentioned and I think that same interview even mentioned Uncharted specifically in relation to animation and said that AC3 would at least be comparable, if not better in terms of animation.

smengler
04-04-2012, 11:53 PM
With Connor reacting with things in his environment, I hope they add a feature where Connor "loots" a body as he walks over it instead of having to press a b-utton and wait. He would just reach down and grab money while he walked by.

BBALive
04-05-2012, 12:14 AM
That would interfere with combat (strafing around only to be interrupted because you stepped on a corpse, causing you to loot it). Contextual animation should only be used when necessary so that you react to the environment around you accordingly, not for things like automated looting, that's something a player should initiated themselves.

smengler
04-05-2012, 12:46 AM
That would interfere with combat (strafing around only to be interrupted because you stepped on a corpse, causing you to loot it). Contextual animation should only be used when necessary so that you react to the environment around you accordingly, not for things like automated looting, that's something a player should initiated themselves.

I always found that spending 30 seconds after each battle looting bodies always took away from the game. You would be in an exciting mission, but then you stood there waiting for your character to loot all the bodies. If Connor grabbed the money as he walked over the bodies, there would be no wait period, and it would also add to the "Connor is always moving" idea. Your controls would not be interrupted. It would happen automatically without breaking stride.

UrDeviant1
04-05-2012, 12:49 AM
I always found that spending 30 seconds after each battle looting bodies always took away from the game. You would be in an exciting mission, but then you stood there waiting for your character to loot all the bodies. If Connor grabbed the money as he walked over the bodies, there would be no wait period, and it would also add to the "Connor is always moving" idea. Your controls would not be interrupted. It would happen automatically without breaking stride.

I think he meant It would get annoying, say If you just killed a load of guards and they're scattered around you, you want to run away but keep getting interrupted by the loot animation. I agree with that.

rileypoole1234
04-05-2012, 01:08 AM
I definitely want the stair animation. Uncharted 3 made it almost essential in my mind. Also the wall animation in Uncharted 3 was brilliant, so I'd really like to see something like that.

UrDeviant1
04-05-2012, 01:16 AM
There's a lot of talk around here about Uncharted 3's awesome animations. I wish I had a ps3 to play It!
Maybe one day I will.

BBALive
04-05-2012, 03:37 AM

But in battle, Connor is wielding two weapons. How is he going to bend down, pick up some loot while still holding this weapon, and fend off oncoming attackers at the same time? I mean, they could make it happen, but it'd mean that they'd also have to create and implement brand-new and unique animations just for this one looting animation that can occur at any time during the animation so that it all looks nice and fluid. So they're having to create and implement animations that branch off of contextual animations. It's A LOT of work for something that can be mapped to a single ****on.

While I agree that standing there and looting bodies in the middle of an intense mission took away from the action, I do not think making looting automated and contextual is the right solution. They could either remove looting altogether, or make it a single ****on press rather than having to hold the ****on.