PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Crafting? Would you like to see it?

Dieinthedark
04-03-2012, 10:31 PM
So I was thinking about the weapons that are used in AC games. Now considering we know nothing about the weapons of AC3 except dual hidden blades, the gun, bow, and tomahawk, I'm just making a thread about features...I think it is reasonably safe to assume that the weapons will be fairly similar to the games already released. The vary in look and statistically but surely there will be weapons of the previous games albeit with a new name. Speculation, yes. Likely, I think so.

So my idea goes like this. If the looting feature, like for various items, returns, which, again, seems plausible, what would you think of using the various items you find to build your own weapons? It would work like this. First you would have various starting points such as small weapon, medium weapon, heavy weapon, and custom. This would just serve as a starting point. Next you would decide on how you want your weapon crafted. You could break it down like this:

Hilt
Hand guard
Blade

Then you could change various aspects of each one. Things like shape, color, etc...Also for however you craft your weapon that would require certain amounts of various items. Like a small iron hilt might require you to have 5 iron or something. And the blade, depending on its length would cost various amounts. Also, if you wanted to you could have fine jewels on the hilt as you progress through the game, sort of to reflect the growth the character is going through. He's not just some guy, he's become an Assassin. If you think about it, in AC1, as Altair gained back his training/weapons etc...his character model slowly became more extravagant. I'm thinking something like that but for your weapon.

Now, for the hilt and hand guard, this would be primarily cosmetic changes though the materials each are made out of could influence the weight and therefore speed. For actually crafting the weapon I imagine selecting a preset and then having numerous sliders. Each slider would of course change a different part of the weapon. So you can change width, length, height, bulk, shape/design...something similar to a NFS Autosculpt feature would be great imho. The blade you could choose if you want it curved (and if so at what angle), straight, blade length, point, single edged, double edged, tri-point, etc...

All of this would just serve as like, hey, this is MY weapon. It's different than these guys I'm facing, because I'm an Assassin. Plus, customization options are always good!

Thoughts?

JCearlyyears
04-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Interesting, but it wont be in AC3. It's too late. I wouldn't care if it was in. I wouldn't use it, but options are great.

Dieinthedark
04-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Ah yes, I forgot to mention that. Not for AC3 but just a feature sometime along the road...

SixKeys
04-03-2012, 10:48 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they did something like this in a future game. Alex Hutchinson did say in a recent interview that AC3 will be the most RPG-like game in the series so far, they may inch more and more in that direction in future instalments.

Dieinthedark
04-04-2012, 12:57 AM
So would it be something you'd like though?

D.I.D.
04-04-2012, 01:24 AM

Honestly, no.

I don't want conflict getting decided by weapon stats. I want the mechanics of the game to move more towards skill so that, if I'm good at the game, I could be completely disarmed and still pick up a basic dagger from the ground and achieve my aims. It should feel like speed, talent and agility won, because of the type of character the game gives you.

If they moved towards your plan, they'd have to reflect statistical gains in the damage you deal, which is a system for warrior characters such as you'd see in any RPG. I really don't like that sort of numbers game, and I think it was a mistake that each game since ACII tried to lean that way already (where each blade is slightly "better" or "worse" than another).

Dieinthedark
04-04-2012, 03:02 AM
Ok, that makes sense. What about if it was purely for looks/cosmetic purposes? Or would that make it even less useful? Just trying to bounce ideas off community (to everyone)

DavisP92
04-04-2012, 03:15 AM
i remember hearing that the rope dart is a consumable weapon, meaning that when you use it you lose it. So then we would have to craft it i guess or buy it more likely

SixKeys
04-04-2012, 03:28 AM

I think it could work. Not like in Skyrim where you are your own blacksmith and have a huge number of choices for crafting your gear. The selection would still have to be limited to avoid making the player feel overwhelmed and avoiding turning weapon-crafting into some sort of minigame. The selection could be something like in ACR multiplayer: you could craft for example a knife, a short blade or a sword, and have maybe two or three types of blades for each. More than that and things could start getting too complicated for an AC game.

I like the idea of the materials affecting the weapon's stats. You could for example craft a knife out of really thick metal that would make it a bit slower to wield but with more deadly force, whereas a lighter knife would be faster but not so good for deflecting.

LordWolv
04-04-2012, 05:51 AM
It could work, and I'd use it if it were there, but it's not the first thing on my list for the next games.

Assassin_M
04-04-2012, 06:25 AM
Lets not forget that there are at least 6 more unannounced systems in AC III..
This was said during a GI interview I believe..

Jexx21
04-04-2012, 06:26 AM
but they confirmed in an interview that Connor wouldn't be making his own weapons. He certainly would know how to use some exotic weapons, but he doesn't make them.

Assassin_M
04-04-2012, 06:30 AM
but they confirmed in an interview that Connor wouldn't be making his own weapons. He certainly would know how to use some exotic weapons, but he doesn't make them.
I did`nt say that one of them has to be weapon crafting..
Im simply throwing this out there..

KillGhast
04-04-2012, 05:28 PM
It would be awesome to make for example your arrows, using stones and tree branches etc. Same for the rope dart. But crafting like special swords and stuff would be to much

freddie_1897
04-04-2012, 05:35 PM
​assassins creed: Minerim