PDA

View Full Version : New AC game should not have been about American Revolution

AltairGreen
03-31-2012, 08:50 PM
Hi people,

Im a little bit disappointed with the AC teams selection of the American Revolution as the new theme/story behind ACIII.

I feel like there is too much horrifying stories about the American Revolution which really does not make a person comfortable playing a role which assists it.

The American Revolution saw the massacre of the Native Americans, and also the continued slavery of Africans. Assassins (hashashins) would not fight for or represent such a system that is flawed and unjust. It doesn't reconcile with the historical realities around the Assassins who fought for justice and freedom.

The narrative matters a lot, and while I understand that the game developers can really take AC everywhere, the American Revolution was one that makes no sense.

Italy, the Middle East, Ottoman Empire, and others make sense because they are oriented around the clash between Templars and Assassins. Templars historically did have strong support from the Vatican, and Assassins did have several alliances with empires in the Middle East too.

I was looking forward to maybe 2 more games centered in Istanbul (Constantinople) as a lot of important events took place there that are central to even ongoing religious conflicts today, but Im afraid to say I am not looking forward to the Assassins Creed American Revolution game, and hope they change course for the next game after that, and not return to that era.

They could have continued to develop Ezio as a mentor to other Assassins in his old age. That would have been captivating as his role would be less, but he would still be there.

I will miss the character of Ezio a lot

Krayus Korianis
04-01-2012, 01:54 AM
Would you rather have Ninja's? Seriously, why gripe about it? They're doing it, it makes sense even if you don't agree.

Anduril79
04-02-2012, 09:02 PM
The whole point of ACR was to bring Ezio's story to a close, so they couldn't have done another game, and he was forbidden to return to Constantinople. Not to mention that we already know what he did after the events in ACR through the Embers short story. He retired from the Assassins so he could settle down and have a family.

It'll be interesting to see if they address the Free Mason's supposed lineage since they're supposed to be the descendants of the Templars. but I'm highly doubting they will whereas Connor is going to be fighting with Washington's army who is a Free Mason along with many Founding Fathers.

Jackal90147
04-03-2012, 01:28 AM
is that a spoiler? im at 39% in the story

Two-KD
04-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Oh yeah they should continue Ezio┤s story when hes dead in grave and hes only lying there and doing nothing yeah it would be fun.

Ferrith
04-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Hi people, Im a little bit disappointed with the AC teams selection of the American Revolution as the new theme/story behind ACIII. They probably chose this historical period because it moves the emotions and appeals to the bigger market out there, the Americans. How the story will evolve and whether there is a place for an Assassin in this particular context we don't know it yet. It all depends on what adjustments Ubisoft writers will do and which direction the story will take. I am not excited by this choice either, to be honest, but there is no point in complaining about. The decision has already been taken and we are only six months away from its release. *shrug*

P.S. One more thing...

Assassins (hashashins) would not fight for or represent such a system that is flawed and unjust. It doesn't reconcile with the historical realities around the Assassins who fought for justice and freedom.

If you really care for historical facts then I'd suggest you read Farhad Daftary's "The Assassin Legends: Myths of the Isma'ilis". Instead of the biased, Western view of the order or, the poetic license the game writers took and loosely based their story on, you'll see that the Assassins were nothing but an order of Nizari Ismailis, especially those living in Persia and Syria. http://www.iis.ac.uk/view_person.asp?ID=8&type=auth

restomaniac
04-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Hi people,

Im a little bit disappointed with the AC teams selection of the American Revolution as the new theme/story behind ACIII.

I feel like there is too much horrifying stories about the American Revolution which really does not make a person comfortable playing a role which assists it.

The American Revolution saw the massacre of the Native Americans, and also the continued slavery of Africans. Assassins (hashashins) would not fight for or represent such a system that is flawed and unjust. It doesn't reconcile with the historical realities around the Assassins who fought for justice and freedom.

The narrative matters a lot, and while I understand that the game developers can really take AC everywhere, the American Revolution was one that makes no sense.

Italy, the Middle East, Ottoman Empire, and others make sense because they are oriented around the clash between Templars and Assassins. Templars historically did have strong support from the Vatican, and Assassins did have several alliances with empires in the Middle East too.

I was looking forward to maybe 2 more games centered in Istanbul (Constantinople) as a lot of important events took place there that are central to even ongoing religious conflicts today, but Im afraid to say I am not looking forward to the Assassins Creed American Revolution game, and hope they change course for the next game after that, and not return to that era.

They could have continued to develop Ezio as a mentor to other Assassins in his old age. That would have been captivating as his role would be less, but he would still be there.

I will miss the character of Ezio a lotEzio is done.
That was announced ages ago.
That is why this is ACIII
ACI=Alta´r
ACII=Ezio
ACIII=Connor.

freddie_1897
04-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Hi people,

I will miss the character of Ezio a lot
no, just, just no, 99.9999999999999% of people do not want another AC game with Ezio, have you even seen the new info? i wasnt sure about the setting at first either but now i think it looks amazing.
and yes, the american revolution does make sense, because it was a time when people broke free from the oppressors, two more games set around constantinople? no one would buy that, no one,
the cities in AC3 look way better, people interact with each other, you can go into buildings, seasons.

seriously if they had done Ezio again there would be an uprising, people didn't really want him in ACR either

Ureh
04-05-2012, 11:25 PM
I haven't read any previews from websites/magazines so I know nothing about the AC3 story. But unless they confirmed it or you know something that we don't, what makes you think the Assassins were advocating enslavement of Africans and death of Native Americans? AC lore is all about conspiracy... it's a high possibility that the U.S. government is a Templar puppet or may even have been found by Templars. Maybe the Assassins started the Revolution but it backfired on them when the Templars took over (or maybe some of the Assassins turned rogue or became Templars). It's all just speculation at this point.

Patrickmc693
04-08-2012, 09:00 PM
If you actually followed the news on this game, the OP would feel a lot better about the American setting. Connor does not fight for anyone, neither the redcoats or the patriots. The American revolution is a background to the overall story. In fact, the story starts before the conflict and ends about 3 years later.

Connor's history is also important. He is half British, half native for a reason. He is removed from the conflict due to his background. He is fighting so his people has a place in the new America. Where Altair fought for duty and Ezio fought for vengeance, Connor is fighting for the freedom of his people. Hardly sounds like they are supporting slavery, does it?

The setting is very important to all the AC games. AC 1 was set in the crusades, a time where the assassin order was at it's strictest. AC 2 set during the Renaissance. This was a period of SERIOUS advancement in human society. Look at the assassin order of Altairs time and look at Ezio's order and there have been some clear improvements. Finally, AC 3 brings us to America, at a time where the entire fate of the country was to be decided. Kinda sounds like the modern day story Arc, no? The developers don't just put the names of time period into a hat and pick one.They are chosen for a specific reason.

Hope you change your mind, because I really like the direction the series is going. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of fans are excited to.

Brownsnakeeyes
04-11-2012, 12:07 AM
If you actually followed the news on this game, the OP would feel a lot better about the American setting. Connor does not fight for anyone, neither the redcoats or the patriots. The American revolution is a background to the overall story. In fact, the story starts before the conflict and ends about 3 years later.

Connor's history is also important. He is half British, half native for a reason. He is removed from the conflict due to his background. He is fighting so his people has a place in the new America. Where Altair fought for duty and Ezio fought for vengeance, Connor is fighting for the freedom of his people. Hardly sounds like they are supporting slavery, does it?

The setting is very important to all the AC games. AC 1 was set in the crusades, a time where the assassin order was at it's strictest. AC 2 set during the Renaissance. This was a period of SERIOUS advancement in human society. Look at the assassin order of Altairs time and look at Ezio's order and there have been some clear improvements. Finally, AC 3 brings us to America, at a time where the entire fate of the country was to be decided. Kinda sounds like the modern day story Arc, no? The developers don't just put the names of time period into a hat and pick one.They are chosen for a specific reason.

Hope you change your mind, because I really like the direction the series is going. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of fans are excited to.

I couldn't agree more. Also people look at the timelines. This falls pretty close. But looking into the future I can't see them making another AC with Desmond going back in time to a time before the R War. So this is probably it for Desmond. Unless they do a Brotherhood/ Revelation type thing with Connor.

nyrmetros
05-08-2012, 02:57 AM
American Revolution = FTW!

ASpieboy
05-09-2012, 10:46 PM
In AC1, the Assassins fought both the Crusaders and the Saracens, because there was evil on both sides. I don't see why things would be different in AC3. The Assassins don't commit to one side. No reason to believe they're committing genocide or enslavement.