PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else feel we could have just skipped Brotherhood? *ACB ENDING SPOILERS*

DiamondBlade_R
03-31-2012, 06:42 PM
Story-wise, I mean. In retrospect, it just seems to me that Brotherhood was not a necessary addition to the series as far as story progression goes. I feel like we could have only had AC1 and ACII, and then go straight to ACR - and no one would feel the difference. ACI, ACII and ACR all contributed to the progression of the AC saga one way or another: ACI established the premise of the series, ACII introduced Ezio and established the idea that the Assassin Order has survived through the generations and ACR provided closure for both Altair and Ezio's stories. ACB just feels like it doesn't belong there, not to mention how it is not an integral part of the story... Its only contributions to the series' story progression were Ezio's efforts to turn the Assassin Order into a guild of some kind, as well as Lucy's death at the end. Both of these story details didn't require an entire game to be told - Lucy's death could have been shown at the beginning of ACR (as a direct trigger for Desmond's shock which would provide Rebecca and William with a reason to connect him to the Animus' fail safe program), and Ezio's building the Assassins Guild could have just been done in Revelations, as a means to overthrow the Byzantines or whatever.

As for Ezio's struggle against Cesare: it wasn't even slightly important to the story of the series as a whole. It didn't do anything to develop Ezio's characters beyond who he already was in the final chapters of ACII, and it didn't do anything to progress the story of Assassins vs. Templars dramatically. Its only contribution to the story was the fact that Ezio managed to obtain the additional Apple at the end. Again, we did not need an entire game just to show that one cutscene.

Whereas ACI, ACII and ACR all felt like a lot of effort and passion were invested into them, ACB just felt like it was Ubisoft's attempt to grab more of our money.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

OriginalMiles
03-31-2012, 06:46 PM
Additional Apple, Ezio didn't ever have 2 apples, WTH are you talking about... Oh and Brotherhood is important, not sure why but it is... cue someone who knows a tiny bit more about AC than me to explain...

It also shows how Lucy dies and where and when, if you just show it in ACR without an explanation, it wouldn't make sense, also AC2 shows the aftermath of AC2, it could have been part of AC2 or a DLC for it, but it more or less has more... stuff.

Dejan507
03-31-2012, 06:48 PM
Definitively, I guess it was their way to test some new stuff, filter out the boring things and pass on some (like streak kills and tower capture I guess)
But overall, I very much dislike Brotherhood for many reasons

Assassin_M
03-31-2012, 06:55 PM
Brotherhood was VERY important to the over-all story in many elements concerning Desmond`s story..(I wont even mention Ezio`s part, which were significant as well)

1-Provided character and personality progression for the central characters..
2-Introduced the base of Minerva`s message..
3-gave sense to the Assassins` present goals..
4-provided more insight on the Modern Templars` activities..
5-Revealed the location of the Grand Temple (DLC)
6-Introduced another member of TWCB who emphasized on Desmond`s Mission and gave some hints about the Vaults` purpose..

LightRey
03-31-2012, 06:55 PM
I think it was quite essential. Especially if you take the Da Vinci Disappearance into consideration. I also disagree on how the characters were treated. Bartolomeo, La Volpe, Claudia and especially Machiavelli showed many new characteristics we had not at all seen in ACII. I really liked what they did with them. I'm sure I could name a few more things, but I'll leave it to other members to bring those up.

DiamondBlade_R
03-31-2012, 06:58 PM
Additional Apple, Ezio didn't ever have 2 apples, WTH are you talking about... Oh and Brotherhood is important, not sure why but it is... cue someone who knows a tiny bit more about AC than me to explain...
I meant "additional Apple" as in additional to the one we, as the audience, were introduced to in ACI.

OriginalMiles
03-31-2012, 07:01 PM
I meant "Additional Apple" as in additional to the one we, as the audience, were introduced to in ACI.
Oh OK... could have said Ezio's Apple is all.

rileypoole1234
03-31-2012, 07:32 PM
ACB was arguably more important than ACR. The Da Vinci Disappearance basically showed the location for AC3. Desmond progressed character-wise, and SPOILER Lucy was killed. Many things did happen in that were very important in ACB.

SixKeys
03-31-2012, 08:12 PM
Brotherhood felt much more essential to me than ACR, and ACR was the one that could have been skipped. If you play AC2, skip ACB and go straight into ACR, you'll go from Desmond and the gang evacuating from their hideout and suddenly Desmond is in a coma, Lucy is dead, Subject 16 is hanging out with you with no explanation and Ezio is an old man in Constantinople. Whereas if you played ACB, skipped ACR and picked up AC3, you would already know Lucy's dead, your teammates would probably reference the fact somehow as Desmond wakes up from a coma induced by the trauma you witnessed at the end of ACB, he tells his teammates Subject 16 spoke to him in his coma-induced state and as a result he now knows what he needs to do to stop the Templars. The stuff about there being two Apples is not really essential as we already know one of them was destroyed in Denver, so we still start out with just one Apple. Yes, you would still be missing some information, but the jump between AC2 and ACB's storyline is much more significant than ACB and ACR's.

D.I.D.
03-31-2012, 08:30 PM
Not for me. My favourite gameplay moments are in ACB, and the whole game hung together very well. It's not as important as ACII in terms of story, but there are many important things in ACB - the first time you get to wield the Apple, for one thing! - and if ACB hadn't existed, I would have missed my favourite title of the series so far. There are also a huge number of little rewards behind the glyph puzzles, which aren't vital story components for most people but I found them very engrossing.

ACR was pretty forgettable, and I didn't really need it. Some nice interactions with Sofia, great graphics, but the story and gameplay were sorely lacking.

xOMGITSJASONx
03-31-2012, 08:40 PM
Yes. But Brotherhood was a very good video game. So why miss out?

DiamondBlade_R
03-31-2012, 09:59 PM
Brotherhood felt much more essential to me than ACR, and ACR was the one that could have been skipped. If you play AC2, skip ACB and go straight into ACR, you'll go from Desmond and the gang evacuating from their hideout and suddenly Desmond is in a coma, Lucy is dead, Subject 16 is hanging out with you with no explanation and Ezio is an old man in Constantinople. Whereas if you played ACB, skipped ACR and picked up AC3, you would already know Lucy's dead, your teammates would probably reference the fact somehow as Desmond wakes up from a coma induced by the trauma you witnessed at the end of ACB, he tells his teammates Subject 16 spoke to him in his coma-induced state and as a result he now knows what he needs to do to stop the Templars. The stuff about there being two Apples is not really essential as we already know one of them was destroyed in Denver, so we still start out with just one Apple. Yes, you would still be missing some information, but the jump between AC2 and ACB's storyline is much more significant than ACB and ACR's.
Did you read my opening post...? I never said the events that occurred in the present day storyline in ACB were not important to the overall story, but rather, I said that they were the only important thing, at least story-wise, that ACB had to offer. The Ezio storyline, in ACB, on the other hand, included no sufficient events as far as story progression goes. Seeing how that's the case, and given the fact that the majority of ACB revolved around Ezio's storyline - which could easily be passed up - I said that they could have given us the important event of the present day storyline in the beginning of ACR, thus eliminating the need for ACB's existence as an installment of the series. We didn't need an entire game just for the present day storyline events you mentioned (i.e. Lucy dying, Desmond entering a state of coma), especially seeing how they only only take about 20-30 minutes to go through.

Jexx21
03-31-2012, 10:17 PM
Okay, so we skip the Ezio storyline in ACB. How does Desmond know how to get the apple?

(hint hint: none of AC1's Altair storyline was important either except for the end_

AdamXEve
03-31-2012, 10:29 PM
LOL, all of that could've been made much simpler and put into ACIII, like it was intended before Ubi got greedy. Sorry. But, it's true.

Could've skipped both of the ACII sequels.

Also, the fact that I still see this "ACI is skippable" garbage is nonsense. This game set-up Desmond's entire arch; it's easily the most unique of all of the AC games as well as the only one with actual Assassination targets all through-out the game. If you want to say it's skippable because the story is about a different character than the other games then I suppose ALL of the games are skippable prior to ACIII?

DiamondBlade_R
03-31-2012, 10:33 PM
Okay, so we skip the Ezio storyline in ACB. How does Desmond know how to get the apple?

(hint hint: none of AC1's Altair storyline was important either except for the end_
In my opening post I also addressed the fact that Ezio managed to obtain an Apple in the end, and explained that in my opinion, that too could have been shown through a cutscene of some sort in ACR, and that we didn't need an entire game just for that either.

As for your remark about AC1 "not being important (according to my logic)": that's hardly the same thing. AC1 was important in its entirety because it introduced the players to the premise of the series: what is the Order, how was it born (or reborn, according to ACR), who are the Assassins, what are their motives etc. It also introduced them to the Templars and to the very nature of the conflict between the two factions. Not only that, but AC1 also depicted the emotional and philosophical process Altair was going through throughout the game - a process that was important, seeing as how by the time it was over, it shaped Altair's personality in such a way that would have him become a legend all Assassins can look up to, not only on the practical, skill-related level, but also on the personal level. That was important because it lead to his becoming a prominent figure in the Assassins lineage, that would remain prominent for generations and influence the Order in many different ways.

Jexx21
03-31-2012, 11:23 PM
In ACB, the players were introduced to Ezio's progression as a real leader of the Assassins. He unified 4 'underground' groups of Roma, it progressed Ezio's character beyond a simple want for revenge, it progressed into him renovating and funding a whole city, stopping the tyranny of the Borgias (a story continued on from AC2, it would be weird to not give it a conclusion). It showed the process of Ezio learning to teach a whole Brotherhood and manage it. And of course, him finding the apple and hiding it in the Vault. You also have Ezio reminiscing of Christina Vespucci, and his romantic moments with her, also showing Ezio's anguish over the situation.

Oh, not to mention, the fact that Uncle Mario was killed, which really did bring Ezio much pain because Mario was practically Ezio's new father figure. It probably hurt Ezio just as much as when his father and brothers died. Then of course with the DLC it probably revealed the location of the Grand Temple, and it also progressed the character of Leonardo (a very very enjoyable addition).

And the characters of La Volpe, Claudia, Bartolomeo, and Machiavelli were delved upon so that they actually felt like people Ezio knew instead of knowing them for a couple of hours.

Really, Brotherhood was a great addition, and I personally loved it.

Timeaus
03-31-2012, 11:37 PM
I don't think we should skip ACB because it's very important to the overall story and ACR is also very important to story as well. I think they could have combine ACB and ACR together in one game using expansion packs like how GTA IV made the Ballad of Gay Tony and The Lost and ****ed. That would have been better instead of making an entirely new game.

Animuses
04-01-2012, 04:33 AM
I think both ACB and ACR are useless games that didn't contribute anything positive. They were just there to milk Ubi's biggest franchise.

kriegerdesgottes
04-01-2012, 04:42 AM
I think the best thing would have been if they had taken 2 years to make Brotherhood and added much more to it and closed Ezio's story through that game and then came out this year with ACIII and just totally skipped ACR. That would have been the ideal situation.

Razrback16
04-01-2012, 04:50 AM
No, I loved Brotherhood. Best game in the series IMO.

Razrback16
04-01-2012, 04:50 AM
I think the best thing would have been if they had taken 2 years to make Brotherhood and added much more to it and closed Ezio's story through that game and then came out this year with ACIII and just totally skipped ACR. That would have been the ideal situation.

Agree. ACR is just very...bland.

twenty_glyphs
04-01-2012, 04:55 AM
I loved Brotherhood. As much as I loved AC2, Brotherhood's story and sense of mystery really sucked me into the series. Lucy's death could have been at the beginning of AC3, but I don't think it would have had the kind of impact it had at the end of Brotherhood, just as Desmond finds one of the Apples after searching Ezio's memories for it the entire game.

Revelations was a good game, but I think it was quite skippable. It feels more like a game that exists to pay fan service to small details of the story and milk the franchise for one more year. Subject 16 showed up but contributed nothing new to his character. In fact, he was much more interesting before we finally met him. The conversation with Jupiter was nice, but nothing that major after already meeting Minerva and Juno. Revelations was nice, but didn't really add much to the overall story for me. Calling it bland is a perfect description.