PDA

View Full Version : Recording to Laptop/PC using Rocksmith Cable?

rogermack50
03-26-2012, 12:39 AM
Most instructors/guitar websites state you should start recording your playing.
I was looking on Amazon for ways to connect my guitar to my Laptop through a USB connection and up came the Rocksmith cable. Amazon states "The 11.25 feet cable will also allow players to plug in and record their instrument directly into their computer at 48KHz." So with that being solved, how do I proceed in recording myself.

I read many of the reviews and most stated use Apple's "GarageBand".

Unfortunately, I have a Windows 7 Laptop.

My question is what software are you people using? Keeping in mind 2 important things:
1) Ease of use
2) keeping prices as low as possible (Free is good)

Your responses are appreciated "most of the time".

Mac

Steel_Nirvana
03-26-2012, 02:53 AM
Probably a dumb question given your OP....but do you by chance have an iPad or iPhone? There are a couple of apps that not only let you record, but also let you use your own music as backing tracks, with speed control.

The_Penguin222
03-26-2012, 03:00 AM
Audacity. It's free!

machine932
03-26-2012, 03:04 AM
AmpliTube free

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/Main.html?freedownload/index.php

Hab_Fan
03-26-2012, 05:10 AM
Audacity. It's free!

I second Audacity for a free product it's pretty good and supports VST. I've recorded with it by plugging my guitar directly into the line in port of my Windows 7 laptop. Highly recommend using ASIO4ALL drivers though.

rogermack50
03-26-2012, 02:21 PM
I'll download Audacity and Ampitube and see which one works easier for me.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Mac

reedsutton
03-26-2012, 02:32 PM
I recorded myself on Audacity, but with my acoustic and just with the mic on my laptop. I also downloaded the AVLInux live disc and started that, but really wasn't sure where to go next.

I searched around some and if you connect your guitar to your laptop with the Real Tone cable, you can record yourself with Audacity by following these directions: http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1871. The recording device you are looking for says "rocksmith" something.

Audacity is a free, powerful, open source recording tool you can do a lot of audio/sound stuff with. It's way over my head for the most part, but it's easy to record something and export it to MP3.

Hope this helps!

Pancho X1
03-26-2012, 04:36 PM
sweet. I'm looking to do this too. I'll need to check these both out as well. thanks for the recomendations guys.

rogermack50
03-26-2012, 06:51 PM
I did download Audacity and it worked perfectly. After downloading the Lame option it recognized MP3's. I opened a MP3 The Thrill is Gone w/ BB King and Gary Moore.
Once I saved it as a Audacity project file instead of a MP3 file, I could record my guitar with it. Very Nice. Only problem there is no Distortion selection etc for guitar.
So now I can take the Jam tracks from my http://www.truefire.com lessons and play with them while recording which is kind of neat. Send them to a instructor or post them if needed.
This opens up a new world for me.

Thanks

KillerDudeBro
03-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Band in a Box or PowerTracks Pro audio are easy to use, but not free.. like 50 bucks. recommend a sound card and ASIO4ALL anyway.. FL studio is a Dream of recording software and a stupid price. There's a way to get it for free, I don't recommend it tho. Both programs will recognize the RS cable and recording is a breeze. for me anyway...

steel_string
03-27-2012, 10:35 AM
Reaper is an extremely popular choice. Cheap and much more functional than Audacity.

Pancho X1
03-27-2012, 04:48 PM
how does reaper differ?

Guitaraddict
03-27-2012, 05:23 PM
My laptop and my desktop recognize the rs cable, but feedback like crazy when using amplitude. I tried Guitar Rig but it crashes as soon as i select the RS cable as input. I have ASIO installed too.

KillerDudeBro
03-27-2012, 06:27 PM
I wouldn't know unless it was band in a box or fl studio, if asio is selected. make sure in the ASIO4ALL control panel that the sound card and the cable are selected. Might require you to select the wrench to the bottom right. turn down the inputs and outputs of the cable within the program if possible.

JasonHeaton
09-09-2012, 05:35 AM
i got amplitube as well. actually, I think they helped make rocksmith (same modle sounds & milisec latency). i use an m-audio blackbox for most of my bedroom guitar tracking. you can get one pretty cheap nowadays, but make sure to get the foot controller with it! http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec06/articles/blackbox.htm
just picked up a pretty sweet presonus all in one pack ( found it on a scratch and dent sale on MF for $219!!;))http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/presonus-audiobox-studio-recording-bundle comes with a good mic and a starter DAW to get rollin pretty quick. I use a different main DAW as of now...just because im used to it.
Usefull little home tracking deal for when im not in the studio...me likey....:cool:

JasonHeaton
09-09-2012, 05:40 AM
do u have a dedicated soundcard for AISO? or a breakout box...m-box,moblepre,audiobox usb? sounds like u need one & a decent DAW to run ur amp models on...can hook u up with a DAW. it's a crack but it wrks like a charm.

RingoStar23
10-19-2012, 05:11 AM
I think the Rocksmith cable is awesome. It looks like it will work with basically all music studio software. I am using Windows XP. I couldn't get Rocksmith to work with my computer but that may be because I don't have a video card, BUT the RS cable works great on my computer. It is a pain in the neck to get the RS cable set up the first time, but after that it works like a dream! It has great sound quality. The cable is only like $30. Audacity is free so it might be a good software to start with. But Iím sure the RS cable will work with pretty much any software. I have successfully used the RS cable with Audacity and Sony acid music studio, and I have seen guys on the internet say that it works with both Amplitube and Guitar Rig 5 as well as with guitar Rig 4.
I am a complete beginner. I donít know how to play the guitar yet and I donít even really know how to use the software but I am having a blast recording myself playing guitar! Give it a try cause I bet you will like it.

RingoStar23
10-21-2012, 10:08 AM
OK so when you are first starting out Audacity is for recording
Amplitube is for playing your guitar thru your computer speakers and/or headphones and for making it sound really cool.
There is a learning curve to both so it will take you a day or two to learn the basics of each one of them.
Audacity is as easy as pie.
Amplitube is a bit more complex but you will be able to handle it just fine.
So basically you are going to want to use your Rocksmith cable to do the free versions of both Audacity and Amplitude.

Update Amplitube is a breeze! it just took me an extra day or two to get the hang of it.

RingoStar23
10-21-2012, 11:21 AM
My laptop and my desktop recognize the rs cable, but feedback like crazy when using amplitude. I tried Guitar Rig but it crashes as soon as i select the RS cable as input. I have ASIO installed too.

Man I think I fixed it! OK so I had my Rocksmith cable plugged in and downloaded the free version of Amplitube. But when I tried to play my guitar on Amplitube it sounded like my guitar was under water. The sound was all garbled and sounded like I was trying to play my guitar thru some kind of synthesizer.
Here is what I did:
First I downloaded the latest version of ASIO4ALL
Next I went into the settings in Amplitube.
Then I clicked on the thing at the top that said Directx and chanced it to ASIO.
Next I clicked on the button that says panel.
In the panel on the left there are two options, Realtek High Definition Audio
And
Rocksmith USB Guitar Adaptor
In order to get it to work I had to turn BOTH of those settings on.
Then I clicked the x up in the corner to close the panel and then clicked ok on the (hardware) settings menu. And then I strummed the guitar and it worked! Success!

The next thing that I noticed was there seemed to be something that sounded almost like static in the background. It took me a minute to figure out that that was supposed to be there. It is like what you would hear from your amp when you are on stage. I tried out some of the different things and they sound awesome.

P.S. if your computer is different then this then just play with everything in Amplitube's settings until you find something that works.

kelly19902018
11-27-2018, 08:59 AM
I've heard people use audacity software before. Is there any software that I can add beats, other guitar parts, harmonica recordings, etc?

Robert_S64
05-27-2019, 10:41 PM
Here is what I have.

A Yamaha THR10C 10W amp. It connects to the computer and I can feed my play to the computer.
A Boss Katana 50 50W Amp. Same deal, but cost less than the Yamaha. I keep both because the Yamaha is much more portable.

Reaper. A DAW. Fifty dollars.
Audacity. Free, but not nearly as good as Reaper.
I also have CuBase AI, a free deal I got through the Yamaha above.

If you're miccing, you'll need an audio interface. A Scarlett Solo is about $129 or so.

I have other gear, but it's irrelevant to the OP, except make sure you get a good cable.

Lastly, you can't plug directly into the computer. You need a pre-amp to boost the signal. Combo amps (both of mine are combos) have this built-in.

Another option is a multi-effect pedal board, but they don't start getting good until they are about $400-500, unless you buy used.

Gold_Jim
05-30-2019, 02:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCCrryreF_0

TheJohnNewton
05-31-2019, 04:22 PM
Lol Gold_Jim. BTW, I was just reading about their last album they did after she passed away. They used her demo vocals.