PDA

View Full Version : Implementation of a cover system in AC3??

KrYpToNiC95
03-22-2012, 11:55 AM
I brought this up numerous months before the release of Revelations but now it seems more feasible. Now that we have seen some screenshots of Connor hiding behind trees It just makes me wonder whether we should actually have a cover system where perhaps we could pick off Red Coats in the forest at night with a bow from high up in the trees. I really like the idea and I don't see why it can't be done with a manual aiming system but obviously no blind fire because that would be far too much FPS style. What do you guys think of having something like that in place?

frogger504
03-22-2012, 12:02 PM
They already talked about Stalker Zones, I assume it applies to this as well.

eagleforlife1
03-22-2012, 12:59 PM
I have wanted a cover system since before AC1 was released.

ToniTorsi
03-22-2012, 01:11 PM
They should create a cover system that can be used while crouching as well, to peek on corners, and to shoot arrows from our bows.

I suggested blindfire a while back now that Montreal has upped the ante with speed combat, because it would suck to stop, aim, and shoot when big battles occur.You''re to be placed in battles where enemies are going to be all around you. Why stop movement?

So the thought emerged.

LightRey
03-22-2012, 01:27 PM
I don't think it should be so much a cover "system" as just something you should be able to do. In previous AC games you can already stand behind objects like trees and not be seen. I'd just like it if they'd expand on that, but I don't want them to implement a system that creates a whole new "mode", like they did with high profile and low profile.

frogger504
03-22-2012, 01:32 PM
I don't think it should be so much a cover "system" as just something you should be able to do. In previous AC games you can already stand behind objects like trees and not be seen. I'd just like it if they'd expand on that, but I don't want them to implement a system that creates a whole new "mode", like they did with high profile and low profile.

This, although I preferred having two modes. Makes it feel more in control and like an Assassin imo.

Anyways, they shouldn't go out of their way to make a system for it when you can already do it. I'd rather spare the ****ons and work for something else...

Poodle_of_Doom
03-22-2012, 04:04 PM

I kind of like this idea. Since their not going to have high and low profile actions anymore, something like this would help bring a sense of fimilarity.

GunnarGunderson
03-22-2012, 04:46 PM

The term stalker zone worries me. Does it mean that you'll only be able to stalk through the trees and ambush soldiers in these special areas?

SleezeRocker
03-22-2012, 04:50 PM
The only cover system I'll need is my hidden blade+a box :D
http://t6ak.roblox.com/6ad10b02d74c90ca3ba41097199edbda

naran6142
03-22-2012, 09:36 PM
The term stalker zone worries me. Does it mean that you'll only be able to stalk through the trees and ambush soldiers in these special areas?

maybe you can do it anywhere but it has to be a certain distance from your target...

im all for a cover system, just standing behind a wall just doesnt feel right. the assassin should look like he is trying to hide

smengler
03-22-2012, 10:07 PM
I think that since they are tying to make the controls more simple, you might automatically hide and duck behind objects just by walking up to them. You won't have to press a special but-ton. They said that they want the surroundings to feel less like a "box" (or something like that they said).

ToniTorsi
03-22-2012, 10:32 PM
maybe you can do it anywhere but it has to be a certain distance from your target...

im all for a cover system, just standing behind a wall just doesnt feel right. the assassin should look like he is trying to hide

This a hundred times.

They don't even have to create a new feature/mechanic for it, just allow us to seamlessly take cover to a wall or structure similar to Metal Gear Solid 4 via the press of a bu tton. That's it.

Standing behind a wall like a robot takes away from the flow of the experience of being an assassin.

FilipinoNinja67
03-22-2012, 11:19 PM
If there is a cover system i would love for it to be like Army of Two the Fortyth Day where you just walk up to it and it puts you in cover.

JumpInTheFire13
03-23-2012, 12:13 AM
They should create a cover system that can be used while crouching as well, to peek on corners, and to shoot arrows from our bows.

I suggested blindfire a while back now that Montreal has upped the ante with speed combat, because it would suck to stop, aim, and shoot when big battles occur.You''re to be placed in battles where enemies are going to be all around you. Why stop movement?

So the thought emerged.
They should make it similar to how you can throw batarangs in the Arkham games while you're in hand to hand combat.

frogger504
03-23-2012, 12:34 AM

I prefer it be free, feels more natural. To personally do tricks to manipulate the Assassin's Skills was great, especially on the crouching way. I loved the way you could crouch before, felt better than in games where it's a separate system. I prefer the game not have systematic things and be 100% free, of course it won't be that way but I do hope they don't start making a lot of automated systems.

If there is a cover system i would love for it to be like Army of Two the Fortyth Day where you just walk up to it and it puts you in cover.

This is one of those that are automatic. While they work great in games like this, the problem is that we are supposed freely move and control the player, having an automatic system like this would take away from it. Not only that but what about the climbing?

Saqaliba
03-23-2012, 07:50 AM
I think the stalking zones will be implemented similar to the crowd cover systems of ACII - AC:R. Because Ezio was adpet at urban stealth his cover system utilized benches, crowds and other city surroundings, whilst Connor is a rural predator so his stealth has to be adapted to the Frontier. I think that when you enter a foliage area the blend effect will become activated like when Ezio enters into a crowd of people.

They have already said that Connors actions are going to be context sensitive, such as automatic crouching when getting close to game (dear, wolves etc.). I like the sound of that, but I think it will have to be done right so that it doesn't feel like control has been taken away from the player. Maybe having the prey in the feild of vision whilst moving the motion joystick slowly towards the target will be the cue for the context sensitivity or even better, having either L2/LT as a low-profile ****on and R2/RT as a high-profile ****on alternates the way in which a situation or environment is approached.

They have already said that just holding the A ****on down makes him run, whilst holding it down with RT puts it into parkour mode. If that is the case, then this character could possible have two extremes alocated to him. Stalking (low-profile - LT) and Scaling (high-profile - RT) and the third is neither, a social neutral.

As far as weapons go, the have two-handed combat, with a ****on assigned to each hand, meaning LB/L1 held down whilst pressing the left hand attack ****on will be like a left handed counter attack and vice versa with RB/R1.

I think we will have the whole control system changing based on context. Like when you have different controls on a horse, in a canoe, holding the bow etc.

I am hoping also that there is a ****on to alternate between first/third person as there is in Skyrim.

The other idea that would be amazing would be too have his eagle vision extended to his totem animal itself. Have the ability to call apon a bald eagle and then have his vision form a symbiosis with the animal whilst it is flying around, so you can control the bird and spy ahead from above.

It would be cool if he had two totem animals. The wolf and the eagle. The wolves would make a perfect replacement for the BAM, whilst the eagle vision extended to the bird itself as a controlled aerial view would make a great replacement for both eagle vision and the tower-point views.

frogger504
03-23-2012, 08:01 AM
I just remembered that without the Lock System the Left Trigger will be free to assign to something else, so now I see how it can be done, maybe.

^I am totally for pets. They probably wouldn't replace BAMs though, while a new system is being implemented they said they will return the option to send in Brothers out to the field.

dex3108BL
03-25-2012, 10:13 AM
In new OPM magazine there is picture with description that says: "A new cover system improves stealthy attacks in the wilderness". So Cover system is in the game :D

LightRey
03-25-2012, 11:02 AM
In new OPM magazine there is picture with description that says: "A new cover system improves stealthy attacks in the wilderness". So Cover system is in the game :D
They could just be paraphrasing on the stalker zones. Keep in mind this is a secondary source. Unless they go into detail I see no reason to think they're talking about anything else than the stalker zones.

Splinter_Cel575
03-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Yes
Cover sistem(like Uncharted 3)