PDA

View Full Version : Are they going to add DRM to Future Soldier?

TermlessHalo
03-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Does anyone know if there going to add DRM to Future Soldier or no?

Werewolf_GB
03-14-2012, 11:55 AM
I think we all know the answer to that. It doesn't bother me tbh. I've had no issues with all the other Ubisoft PC games I have that use their always online DRM system.

IceNinjamen
03-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Why should they not do this ?
Indeed it is just justified for them to prevent that thier software gets only copied instead bought, because the development of such a software is quite expensive and someone has to pay for it. What kind of measures they are using to reach this goal is maybe a valid question.
As you can in theory crack every kind of protected software that use a protectionsystem which does especially not require additional processingtime it is the only option to do the authentication online.
For example when you don't give your customer the whole software but the major part of it and let the customer autodownload the rest of the software over a secure channel into memory everytime he sucessfully logged in it is even required for the cracker to own a valid license because otherwise his software is never able work. Althought even such a concept is also not for eternity but it becomes a higher challenge to figure out how it works and it requires a license to be able to do anything with it at first.

What I have heard is that the internet connection has to be permanent whenever the game runs. Of course that can be quite annoying for getting stopped out because you lost your internet connection although you play not an online game. What the purpose of this behaviour is have I also not understood. What is when your IP-Address has an enforced mutation in regular periods by your ISP ?
Anyway the real disadvantage is when you are not at home and want to play with your laptop - especially if you are abroad they rip you off if you need internet.

Anyway for me is it far more annoying to have some kind of SafeDisc (Or whatever) - protected games that requires to have a CD-Drive my PC don't even has.
More important for me is anticheat software for online gaming as I usually play only online and I have not seen yet that they have contracted Evenbalance (PunkBuster).

So now don't cry so much about DRM guys or have you no internet ?

TermlessHalo
03-15-2012, 08:13 AM
I do have internet its just that I don't like the idea that I always have to be online all the time. Even though I pay for my games and all of the sudden some ******* wants to pirate a game and get it free. And leaves use the consumers to pay the price for it by having this type of DRM. I would like them to put it on Steam at least if they really care for the consumers. Besides some pirates are always going to find some way to crack the game and get it free no matter what Ubi does. I just think that consumers should not pay the price for it.

Werewolf_GB
03-15-2012, 09:53 AM
I agree that Ubisoft DRM can feel a little draconian for us paying customers, but at the same time not enough to stop me buying thier games. Like you say, piracy will always be an issue no matter what systems are in place (and let's not forget games still get pirated on the consoles too) and it does seem a bit unfair to make legitimate customers suffer. But from Ubi's point of view they are only trying to protect their property, which of course they are entitled to do.

TermlessHalo
03-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Ok then why not put it on Steam at least? Here I like what this guy said about IGN story about pricy: "The creators of Sins of Solar Empire stated "Anti piracy protection only makes it harder for legal buyers to play the games, while pirates don't have any problem cause the protection gets removed. You only punish the legal buyer for what pirates do" and they don't put a protection on their games. Cause they believe as well that if people like their games they will buy it anyway."

Werewolf_GB
03-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Difficult to know what "behind the scenes" politics go on between Valve and the various publishers, as to when and if titles will be sold through Steam. Pretty sure I saw GR:FS available to pre order on Steam though? That quote pretty much does sum things up for the legit buyers.

TermlessHalo
03-19-2012, 05:55 PM
So might as well have a DRM free game then right? Also I don't see Ghost Recon:Future Soldier on Steam right now.

Werewolf_GB
03-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Yes, but it'll never happen from the big publishers. Yeah sorry, for some reason I thought I'd seen GRFS on Steam. All the other GR games are on there though, so no reason to suspect it won't appear at some point. It looks like there is still some question over the PC version release date, so maybe that has something to do with it not being on there yet?

TermlessHalo
03-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Yeah maybe thats whats going on right now. I feel like I want to cancel my pre-order just to prove something to Ubisoft but it won't effect them at all.