PDA

View Full Version : Forbes magazine

Just Krispy
03-13-2012, 08:01 PM
If any of you play Mass effect 3, you know about the controversy surrounding the ending. Forbes Magazine has published a few articles on the subject and others relating to fan service. Ubisoft should take notice...here is the link to one: http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/03/13/why-fan-service-is-good-business/

Please move this thread if it needs to done....

thergbcolor
03-13-2012, 09:57 PM
Interesting article. I haven't finished ME3 yet, but it seems like you could apply a lot of the author's points to the way Ubisoft does business. Revelations was the first game in the series that really left me flat-out disappointed (more MP than SP, though there's some of both). AC3 is going to do a lot to determine my brand loyalty going forward.

How important is loyalty to the brand? I can only think of a few game series that are true day one purchases for me. Anything Final Fantasy has got my attention straight away, and I'm interested in all things Mass Effect. Assassin's Creed had a lot of goodwill from me because of AC2 and ACB (both of which I thought were fantastic) but ACR put a huge dent in it. For almost any other game or series, I like to read reviews and try demos. For the three I named, I KNOW I'm going to buy them.

That could change if Ubisoft doesn't.

Dave0718
03-13-2012, 10:28 PM
hmm interesting.... First day buys for me are anything Final Fantasy, BATTLEFIELD & God Of War. I still never bought ACR xD

Just Krispy
03-13-2012, 11:46 PM
It is interesting..fan service is important and Forbes being a business magazine knows first hand. Ubisoft did good by adding the weekly update and releasing the patch. But it took us yelling and screaming to get them to listen.

luckyto
03-14-2012, 01:54 AM
God of War. Yes.

If any of you play Mass effect 3, you know about the controversy surrounding the ending. Forbes Magazine has published a few articles on the subject and others relating to fan service. Ubisoft should take notice...here is the link to one: http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/03/13/why-fan-service-is-good-business/

Please move this thread if it needs to done....

That's an excellent article. I love how they compared Bioware to M. Night Shamalayan. You can only burn fans so many times. RDR had a controversial ending; but it wasn't because part of the game was ripped out for DLC or because it was rushed to market --- it was artistic, and noone really blamed the company. I swear, you could have inserted Ubisoft into that article and replaced the words ME3 with Brotherhood and Revelations. The DLC for Revelations is especially abominable and a real turn-off.

I know company's are in the business for money; but quality will sell.

Black_Widow9
03-14-2012, 05:33 AM
Thank you for sharing this. The following is purely my own personal opinion for all games in general.

There needs to be a constant balance between Gamers and Companies. It would be impossible to make all the changes every single person wants, but recognizing how the majority feels about anything is important.

Gamers are the ones who the games actually speak to. We are involved in the characters lives etc because we become a part of the story by spending so much time engrossed in these amazing universes that the developers and artists create. It is no longer just a game but a part of us.

This is why we care so much and want the best out of every game.

deadly_thought
03-14-2012, 07:31 AM
ive heard the ending is bad im about to finish it when i finish my coffee and have an afternoon munch hope its not as bad as they say but what i can say so far is im disappointed at the way they tried to push me towards dumping my old partner and go towards liara or the gay guy instead to top it off you dont see the chick i chose for almost the entire game anyway (what happened to my choices?)

But i enjoyed playing it so far and ive felt like i was at the movies experiencing some special for almost the entire game only i controlled it and thats what i look for in a SP ill buy anything Gears immediately for that same reason and a few others if only there was a way of telling game companies what we like and dont like....oh wait

great article i think a few game companies are gunna go down before they come back to the idea that theyre in the entetainment industry and if they wish to make truckloads of money all they need do is provide a highly entertaining product no complaints no backlash just alot of satisfied customers throwing money at you for more

luckyto
03-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Thank you for sharing this. The following is purely my own personal opinion for all games in general.

There needs to be a constant balance between Gamers and Companies. It would be impossible to make all the changes every single person wants, but recognizing how the majority feels about anything is important.

Gamers are the ones who the games actually speak to. We are involved in the characters lives etc because we become a part of the story by spending so much time engrossed in these amazing universes that the developers and artists create. It is no longer just a game but a part of us.

This is why we care so much and want the best out of every game.

Very well said. Very very well said.

As Mr. Miagi said, "Whoooooole life... Balance."

JTS_812
03-14-2012, 08:30 PM
interesting, my day 1 buys are anything GTA (or most of what Rockstar makes;)), it's becoming NCAA football, and 2 that used to be but am more than reluctant now are UFC Undisputed and AC series...I was day 1 for AC2 and ACB I LOVED AC1...I was day 1 for Skyrim too but that was because I heard a lot of good things on it, on a side note, I hope AC3 will do another beta :)

deadly_thought
03-14-2012, 10:57 PM
after finishing the game and mulling over the authors words going back over the last few months of gaming i cant help but feel confused

i was convinced Bioware ran a great company up until today HORRIBLE ending suited for a shooter maybe but not ME3 not after they deliberately asked me to invest time energy and emotion in it and racked my brain over so many decisions i feel like it was all for nothing

after what square enix did with FF13-2 and ubi did with REVELATIONS (duke nukem forever should get a mention here too) im now left with my thoughts as to what exactly is going through the heads of devs and execs alike i just dont get it its as if they are trying to destroy time tested titles (look at halo)

it would seem to me that the only really rewarding experiences ive been having in the last 12 - 18mnths are coming from left field DS3/Batman for example GOW3 being the obvious exception (brilliant!!!)

it would seem to me that not only are the companies out of toucch with the consumers but devs are becoming inreasingly out of touch with their own games no Mass Effect fan wouldve ended the game like that alot like no ACB fan wouldve done that to REVELATIONS

it makes me worry for the end story in AC3 im in no rush to buy it but when i see the ending i wanna know it makes sense relates to the storyline is original and FFS gives me some closure