PDA

View Full Version : IL-2 Engine Sounds - Spitfire / P-51

DHC2Pilot
07-18-2004, 10:18 AM
I wish that Oleg and the boys would patch the sounds of these aircraft. CFS3 has that unmistakable Merlin sound just about perfect whereas IL-2 seems to have the same droning engine sound for everything. In the pursuit of realism I think this discrepancy should be patched. What do you think - am I nitpicking?

DHC2Pilot
07-18-2004, 10:18 AM
I wish that Oleg and the boys would patch the sounds of these aircraft. CFS3 has that unmistakable Merlin sound just about perfect whereas IL-2 seems to have the same droning engine sound for everything. In the pursuit of realism I think this discrepancy should be patched. What do you think - am I nitpicking?

hughlb2
07-18-2004, 10:23 AM
I agree, and welcome to theboards DHC2Pilothttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I havn't played CFS3 nor do I want to, IL2 is just too good, but I am sad the distinct sound of the Merlin is lacking. Oh well, we can only hope that BoB gets it right, I don't think we will see any new/changed sounds in a patch for FB.

LeadSpitter_
07-18-2004, 04:15 PM
I agree with you sound is extremely important for flightsims. Each aircraft has its own beautiful sound, 109s whistle, deep bass of the p47 and 190, the merlin engine. I recently heard clips of the la5 and yak9 they are deep and bassy and sound great.

what we have is weed wacker sounds and poor mg sounds.

its like making a musclecar simulation using lawn mower and weedwacker engine sounds.

I really hope they get rid of this synth sound engine for BOB and understand PF will have to continue to use what we are using now.

http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v43/leadspitter/LSIG1.gif

Vortex_uk
07-18-2004, 04:30 PM
Lets just hope they fix these lawnmower sounds before they quit fixing FB for good http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/52.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/cry.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-sad.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

http://img63.photobucket.com/albums/v193/Vortex_uk/CPS_VortexSig.jpg

"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction. " ~ Gen. MacArthur

p1ngu666
07-18-2004, 04:43 PM
leadspitter, share the russian engine sound wealth please http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

heard a griffon spit rumble over my house yesterday, was cool http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/59.gif

http://www.pingu666.modded.me.uk/mysig3.jpg
<123_GWood_JG123> NO SPAM!

Bull_dog_
07-18-2004, 06:03 PM
Don't know if anyone has ever mentioned this, but my computer speakers stink! Try on a pair of headphones...much, much, much better http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

You may already be flying that way, but when I want immersion, I use headphones and strangely enough, the engine sounds are pretty good...not the best mind you but I can easily tell the difference in many different aircraft. Not Janes WWII fighters, but no sim has duplicated those sound files imho

Ramjets
10-11-2004, 10:47 AM
Finally got around to getting and loading up IL-2/AEP. The first thing I noticed was that every engine, except the jets, sounded basically the same. Especially on startups. So, I did my dudiligence and searched the boards and found this thread. Last entry shows July 2003. Has there been any 3rd party patching to correct this? Thanks.

WOLFMondo
10-11-2004, 11:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LeadSpitter_:
I recently heard clips of the la5 and yak9 they are deep and bassy and sound great. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've heard a Yak9 and I have to say the IL2:FB sound for its engine isn't to far off, certainly when you compare it to the lawn mowers that sit in the front of a P51 or Spitfire. It sounds a bit like a turbine rather than pistons.

VW-IceFire
10-11-2004, 11:21 AM
Whats a Yak sound like? I'd really like to hear it!

clint-ruin
10-11-2004, 11:26 AM
FBs sound engine would be great if it worked 100% as intended for 100% of people. It really doesn't seem to do so, and man has there ever been some monumental tweaking done by Maddox Games on this from version to version.

Have you ever worked with layering 'chip' noises together in a music program? Little tiny 1k samples or a small waveform, that are just noise by themselves but combine to sound like something else? That's sort of how FBs engine sound system works. Apparently the goal was to be able to simulate many different kinds of engines without tonnes of sampling and level adjustment work, and also to make the difference between the way an engine sounds 'outside' and 'inside' as different as in reality.

Personally I think the I-16 and Il-2 sound .. sort of OK, but everything else has that lawnmower quality to it. Oh well. It was a nice idea, and at least I no longer get the horrible screaching clicking noises.

flyingscampi
10-11-2004, 11:39 AM
I must have been disappointing after all that effort to hear that the 1400hp Daimler Benz 605 sounds almost exactly like the 4hp Briggs & Stratton in my dad's lawn mower http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Monty_Thrud
10-11-2004, 03:51 PM
flyingscampi...thats just it i'm a nervous wreck, i cant go out for a walk on a sunny sunday, when people are cutting their grass...i'm checking my six and diving for cover http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

WTE_Dukayn
10-11-2004, 05:06 PM
last time i heard something about the sounds in FB someone mentioned that there were problems with the sounds where you would be flying along and occasionally get a huge boom right in your cockpit, like the sound of heavy caliber flak going off, but at full volume.

after that they put the sounds back to basic till they figured out wtf was causing it I believe.

Snyde-Dastardly
10-11-2004, 05:18 PM
I cant wait for them to fix the sound. That is if its really gonna happen. Theres been latrine rumors about a patch or a fix but it never seems to happen.

WTE_Galway
10-11-2004, 05:30 PM
ironically the original IL2 sound was VASTLY better than FB sound

one hint .. there is a weird sound bug that can often be fixed by the following procedure

- start game
- once in cockpit hit esc
- go to the sound settings
- exit again without changing anything

I know it sounds weird, i was doubtful when i first heard of it, but it works for me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WTE_Dukayn
10-11-2004, 05:48 PM
Yeah, the original's sounds were better, but when they tried to do the same stuff to Forgotten Battles they encountered the head-exploding flak in the cockpit noise.

Whats the bug that that little thing fixes btw?

WOLFMondo
10-12-2004, 01:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Whats a Yak sound like? I'd really like to hear it! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its sounds a bit like a turbine, its quite deep and has a much smoother and constant sound than other engines. Its hard to describe but its about as unique as the Merlin or the Griffon 'growl'. The Yak in IL2:FB isn't to far off the noise it makes for real.

Ramjets
10-12-2004, 08:33 AM
Well, Gents, I guess you guys sumed up in the last 7 or 8 posts what I pretty much came up on my own with...nothing has been nor probably will be done to improve the sounds of the Merlin/Griffen and "Rounds". Oh well...onward and upward.

1.JaVA_Hornet
10-12-2004, 01:58 PM
I remember the time when i played flashpoint
there was a soundpack made by a third party.
That sound was great. You had a whole other
game.

Isn`t it possible that someone on earth can
make better sounds for the plains?

Platypus_1.JaVA
10-12-2004, 02:55 PM
The problem is, I think Oleg needs to do alot of works for real-life merlin sound to program it in the game. You cannot add sounds as easy like the CFS and FS series. I even think that Oleg uses one sound for all engines and change it a bit on each diffrent aircraft. For instance, the 109 and the 190 sound very much alike.

WTE_Dukayn
10-12-2004, 03:41 PM
It would be great if you could put your own sounds into the game.

I for one would like the Jetson's car noise for the Me-262 :P

VW-IceFire
10-12-2004, 10:07 PM
I'm largely content with the sounds. Distinctiveness isn't there...but the volumetrics and doppler stuff is fantastic. Best I've ever heard.

There was some expense for doing that. Hopefully they can take the technology to the next step on future products.

clint-ruin
10-13-2004, 04:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
There was some expense for doing that. Hopefully they can take the technology to the
next step on future products. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As far as I understand it, the main thing holding the sound systems implementation back is the general crappy quality of polyphonic playback from most soundcards, people having **** computer speakers with no capability to reproduce the same frequency/volume response as a real engine [the same way your monitors light/brightness levels pale in comparison to sunlight], and the amount of memory and CPU time required to mix the minisamples together.

The last thing is the only one likely to improve much before BOB, so I think that while we will see some improvement, it may not quite be quite the earth shattering change people are hoping for.

It's one of those things where Maddox has quite clearly aimed for the stars, fallen a bit short in the implementation, and then people write in to complain that it doesn't sound as good as CFS3s "engine" sample volume/pitch shifted with the throttle axis. Oleg has written before that his concern is mainly in representing how an engine sounds while you're inside the plane, and trying to get the sound "technically" accurate, even if it's not the greatest throaty roar ever heard.

From Ask Oleg:

05. Sound
(Q): Are there new Enginesounds in FB ?
(A): The planes (all) gets completely new sound.
Real sound of some engines and for others - like they should be. Close to. DB engines will sounds with the help of recording them from real DB engines with different superchargers. If someone would like to hel with merlin sounds they should provide me with profession recording samples on the ground, in cockpit on the ground, in flight in cockpit with different modes of rpm.
Then I will need the propeller sound (be sure ti si different things engine or propellers sounds) And I don't need any sound samples that recorded by video cameras or especially from the ground when plane fly by over. That sound desnt help to make sounds right inside the plane and if you "fly" near the plain in AIR. Hope you all understand me that we model it on the most possible level of realism. And don't record jet engine sounds of modern engine then say that it was original WWII sound of this jet engine....
However we use the binaural recording with the simulation of the head already more than 10 years.
Link: 10/19/02 04:01PM

(Q): A compromise would be: Sound Settings (distance attenuation & realistic occlusions) ONLY work in external View, so only super Sound (for game magazines ) in outside views. And in cockpit then no possibility to hear other planes. Other options would be...
(A): Offer is interesting in theory. But impossible to swich 3D sound engine in real time if to speak about practice.
As I told now will be impossible to hear on a great distance enemy plane on six.
Where is problem?
Link: 10/19/02 05:09PM

(Q): Can you confirm that sound is fixed in FB?
(A): I confirm that sound settings will be not possible to use for cheat, like some used it in full real mode.
Link: 10/19/02 08:56PM

(Q): Was just wondering if it would be difficult for Oleg and his team to improve the flaksound. As it is right now u barely hear it. Everyone who has played B17 II the mighty eight, know what scary flak sounds like!
(A): I think that the sound of ASh-82 engine is 120-130 dB, but 20 mm flak explosion in mid air is only 90-100 dB....
Probably in B-17II it is incorrect
Link: 10/17/02 07:50PM

[entries added 05 Nov 2002]

(Q): Do you use custom menu music when flying IL-2?
Personally I use "Luftwaffe March" (from the Aces High movie) and "Goodbye, Slavyanka."
If anyone else is interested in it, they can find it at http://www.sovmusic.ru/
(A): I personally don't use music in a flight. Simply becasue I like much more music of engines and cannons
As for menus - in principle I use the same as you. But usually I switch off all music in a sim due to reason above.
Link: 10/02/02 12:01PM

(Q): I miss the propeller squall.
(A): Probably you have it. becasue IL-2 for the first time model the complex mix of engine and propeller sound. But dynamic scale of 50-60 Db of Sound card and speakers didn't give you such impression (close to real, if you use High End amplifier and Speakers. Trust me I tested it on my home theatre, that is Hi End quality, with the real pilots.
Link: 09/03/02 05:36PM

(Q): I miss the sound of charger by DB501/506 engines over 2500 meters altitude.
(A): Probably you mean DB601-DB605 series. Sound of supercharder is present even on the ground for these engines. Trust me I heard it myself.
Link: 09/03/02 5:36PM

[entries added 10. Nov 2002]

(Q): Will there be any chance in the future with IL-2 having better sound effects? Would it be possible to have it where 3rd party editors can just put them in the game by themselves?
(A): It was already discussed.
User can't change sound files becasue they sinthesized in real time by program. Say in creation of sound of Bf-109 used 10 sounds that gives a result of one common sound.
If to go by normal way you'll need 100 MB more RAM that to get equal by quality of sounds in air, on the ground, in cockpit etc.
By usual way you may change the sound only sounding in one point, but in flight (especially fly-by) you'll get totally wrong sound.
And show me sound recorder IN AIR near the aircraft instead of that recorded ON THE GROUND, where all the reflections of ground and low sound waves recorded by low quality microphones. Then you can say that we have wrong sounds.
Link: 08/28/02 06:25PM

(Q): When playing a coop mission as gunner I couldn't hear the sirens when my pilot went into the bombing dive and as a team, one doesn't hear each-others siren.? Will this be fixed in FB?
(A): Correct. That will be done in FB becasue of special changes in online code. Currently it was impossible.
Link: 09/03/02 08:48AM

(Q): There are often bullet hit sounds missing in on-line play, which obviously makes dodging bullets hard when you don€t even know your being hit.
(A): Hit sounds - I can't repeat many times that they may dissapear only in couple of cases. - You drivers are not so good that to perform all things that are transfetted into them. There are real bugs in some sound card drivers.
We don't do sound drivers ourselves. We use SDK form manufactures and they guarantie that it should work. We jsut send already ready in code sound in the driever of sound card. We did large research and found that on some systems (OS + Driver + Sound card itself + lost on traffic online) it may happen. But sorry it is isn't our bug or something else.
And please be sure that the functions that you use in settings for sound card are present in your drivers and sound card (I saw many times that people use the function of 3D sound for the card that it doesn't support and then ask us to fix it.)
For FB we are going to use new sound engine. Don't know at the moment how it will works online. But sure that it will be much more complex in code than was in Il-2.
Link: 09/02/02 08:18AM

added 30. Nov 02

(Q): No sim I€ve ever played has so many sound issues/cracklings. Can you please fix it?
(A): 1. I'm sure that you need to make experiments in you settings for the sound if you have it.
2. No one sim also has such complex sound.
3. In FB is new sound engine.
Link: 11/29/02 08:21AM

added 15 Dec2002

(Q): Does FB contain sound optimisations for A3D like IL-2 has?
(A): In FB will be not supported A3D anymore even we like it very much ourselves. Simply because of no support from manufacturer.
Link: 12/05/02 02:17PM

(Q): My Yamaha YMF 724 works fine with everything, plus I hear the bullets hitting my plane in single player. Only not in ONLINE play.
(A): I don't think that this card works fine with everything.
I had this card and sure have a problem with many games.
At the same time for music this is the one of best comparing to prices of professional card.
Link: 08/15/02 08:58AM

Sorry for dumping that, just that some people seem adverse to clicking through to links :&gt;

The only thing I really hope we get is some sort of sound propogation effect where the speed of sound is taken into account. This was amazing in Operation Flashpoint, seeing explosions before you heard them, if at all, and only then as a thundering rumble.