PDA

View Full Version : Single Player Vs. Multiplayer

Zebroneath
03-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Now that Assassin's Creed III is coming out, I feel it is important to stress which side of the game (as well as any game) is more important for it to succeed. Now that the series has had two past games featuring multiplayer, which part of the game are you more leaning toward? (Again, this could apply to every game made today)

I'm gearing more toward the single player side of the game, not because multiplayer is not fun or unwanted, but because, in general, the absolute only way for a game to be remembered is due to it's single player experience.

DavisP92
03-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Single Player wins for me, but i'd like to see coop rather then multiplayer

YuurHeen
03-04-2012, 04:19 PM
my favorite game of all time does not have mp.
off all games i only play 5% mp (after i finished sp)

Il_Divo
03-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Single-player will always hold my interest more, and that doesn't just apply to Assassin's Creed.

Sevenofnine-st
03-04-2012, 04:57 PM
I've never played MP with any game so SP is definitely more important to me with AC - which I believe is first and foremost an SP experience anyway as opposed to FPS games such as CoD. That being said, I agree with Pdavis3 regarding coop because I would love to play that with a friend of mine who's also a big fan of AC but doesn't really want to get into the MP version and end up playing with total strangers who would probably kick our behinds anyway. :)

UrDeviant1
03-04-2012, 04:58 PM
With a single player story so good, how could anyone lean more towards the average multi-player? If there are people on here that do, I'd like to know why. Another example will be Mass Effect 3, with an epic single player story, I won't have time to play the 'horde mode' (multi-player) which Is so overdone now anyway I might add.

Assassin_M
03-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Multiplayer ? in Assassins Creed ? where ?

LightRey
03-04-2012, 05:01 PM
The emphasis has always been on the SP. I don't see why that should change. They have only one studio working on the MP, contrary to the 5(?) studios working on the SP. On top of that the SP is one of the best I've ever seen, while the MP, though interesting and delightfully different from most MP's, is only average.

SleezeRocker
03-04-2012, 05:06 PM
I want pure long epic ace story/singeplayer. Multiplayer can stay in BrO and ACRO. IF....by some chances there is multiplayer in AC3...just coop possibly. I like AC online don't get me wrong (just not as much in ACRO though), but I really just want AC to focus on story...at least for this one. Since possibly the next AC titles will be diffrent from Desmodn's arc who knows what Ubi can implement later.

UrDeviant1
03-04-2012, 05:06 PM
The thing with co-op games, for me at least, Is that I feel less Immersed In the story If I'v always got someone there playing with me. But I'm the type who likes to play story rich games by myself and save the conversing for games like COD and MK9.

persiateddy95
03-04-2012, 05:21 PM
MP in ACB was the best MP ever. They should keep ACB's MP style and mechanics for the new AC games.

supermoc10
03-04-2012, 05:37 PM
my favorite game of all time does not have mp.

what is it?

Here is how I see things:

1) Single Player (Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, Batman, etc)
2)Co-op (would love to see this in AC)
3)Local Competitive/Split-Screen (couldn't be in AC)
4)Online Competitive (don't play MP in AC much, although a free-roam MP like in Red Dead or GTA4 would be awesome).

D.I.D.
03-04-2012, 06:02 PM
I'm only into the single player, but the multi has a huge amount of possibilities this time around.

The GI article mentions that we won't just crawl around the surface of buildings anymore - we can crash through windows and out again through a window in the opposite wall. With more internal areas, that will allow for MP theft modes that go beyond the usual capture-the-flag.

I'll be very surprised if, given the setting, there aren't any military modes in the MP. It might not be a battlefield - although the SP engine can now handle thousands of models on screen, the MP servers won't be able to connect vast numbers of players - but you could have village-based skirmishes, perhaps with one side taking on the role of the British or colonial forces against another team of players in the assassin roles.

pirate1802
03-04-2012, 06:05 PM
The thing with co-op games, for me at least, Is that I feel less Immersed In the story If I'v always got someone there playing with me. But I'm the type who likes to play story rich games by myself and save the conversing for games like COD and MK9.

Yeah exactly. Playing Co-op with a friend ruins the immersiveness.

YuurHeen
03-04-2012, 07:00 PM
what is it?

Here is how I see things:

1) Single Player (Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, Batman, etc)
2)Co-op (would love to see this in AC)
3)Local Competitive/Split-Screen (couldn't be in AC)
4)Online Competitive (don't play MP in AC much, although a free-roam MP like in Red Dead or GTA4 would be awesome).

fallout 3.
besides fallout 3 and the elder scroll games always are sp games only and they all won game of the year.(even though i dont think skyrim was that good)

and another serie which i think is great mass effect did not had mp.

the best assassin creeds. for me ac1 for a lot of others ac2 did not had mp.

going back a much longer time. c&c ts and ra2 ( well they had mp but since it was the early days of internet it did not matter). only c&c generals is a exception because i did play the mp a lot of that one.

but then again the best selling games cod and wow are mp games and that is the reason why companies like ea, activision and ubisoft want mp because they think its going to sell more games that way. which is just wrong.

Lonesoldier2012
03-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Single player.

FilipinoNinja67
03-04-2012, 09:26 PM
What kind of question is this? Both are equal, single player for awesome-sauce monkeyness and multiplayer for replayability. Without ACB or ACR's multiplayer i would have thrown both in the garbage after 2 days of playing.

Evenesque
03-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Depends on how it's done. If this http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/661301-Multiplayer-Suggestions-No-it-s-not-what-you-think is implemented, I would get so much mileage out of the game because I would spend half my time playing around in MP and half in SP, like I do in RDR. If it's just Competetive, I'll barely touch the MP

Gil_217
03-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Is this even a question?

Zebroneath
03-04-2012, 10:20 PM
In my defense, the single player attribute of any game is what really makes it shine due to depth, originality, creativity, immersion, all that good stuff. Buying a game only for it's multiplayer is basically a person saying that he is willing to spend $60 every year to do the same thing over and over again. Because AC is relatively a new multiplayer concept, it does not follow this rule. Both it's single player and multiplayer would count as two separate beings. The single player of the game is what most people pay attention to when to judge if a game is good or not, because that is where most of the work done by the creators really shows.

Another things to point out is that single player focuses on immersing the player into the story he is playing through. With the way things are now in multiplayer games, you just rinse and repeat what was already done to further boost your unimportant rank or other unimportant stats. Single player brings the emotion of you caring about what is happening in the story's context and plot line, while multiplayer has you constantly worry about the win/lose mentality against annoying people who play online. Single player is be the main course of the meal you are serviced while the multiplayer is the dessert; you will savor every taste of that delicious meal, but playing too much of that dessert will make you obese, following with the unsavory taste after constant consumption.

Multiplayer is still a great addition to the game, but it should have a lesser focus, being just the extra for people to have once they finish the single player. While it is true that multiplayer extends the re-playability of the game so that you do not sell it back, it is by far no better than single player and should not be an equal to it when comparing side by side. Think back to the times we had good old fashioned Mario Kart and Diddy Kong Racing; while those games had a focus on multiplayer, it was fun because it did not have a competitive mentality, which is partly the reason why people would remember those games in the first place. ACB and ACR brought about the different mentality of being able to mind **** your opponents, leading the impressive kills and rewarding the player (somewhat) as such, which is why we as a community like it. But, when it come down to it, it turned into a numbers game, with constant OSB and stun locking occurring, which in turn brought upon the the creation of roofers and gun users so that will not happen. This ruins the experience of multiplayer when it happens and, therefore, is overlooked as not a major part of the game, and for good reason.

Long story short: Single Player > Multiplayer

zStrictStyle
03-04-2012, 10:40 PM
SP,