PDA

View Full Version : Alex Hutchinson

twenty_glyphs
03-04-2012, 06:26 AM
So we know from the Game Informer article that Alex Hutchinson is the creative director on AC3. According to his LinkedIn profile, he's been a creative director at Ubisoft since February of 2010. I find that interesting since Patrice was still there at the time, working on Brotherhood. It just makes me wonder what happened during that time. Was Patrice offered the spot on AC3 and turned it down? Was he forced to work on Brotherhood instead of being able to move on to AC3? Or did Patrice just simply get tired of working on AC and fed up with the environment, so he finished up Brotherhood because of his love for the AC2 project before leaving? I'd like to think that Patrice helped pick Alex for the job before moving on. Too bad we'll probably never know the truth, but I still find it very interesting.

As for Alex himself, I'm not worried about him being a newcomer to the project. He was a creative director before, and it looks like he's been in the industry for quite a while. I also feel confident that the senior team of AC2 veterans are there contributing ideas and experience. Plus, everything coming out about the game just exudes confidence, as well as looking great, so it seems that this project is on the right track. But it is kind of funny that two straight AC games will have an Alex as creative director.

ACSineQuaNon
03-04-2012, 06:37 AM
Just noticed the two creative directors for the past two games are named Alex.

InfectedNation
03-04-2012, 09:50 AM
I have a hunch that Patrice actually kicked off work on AC3 and did little for Brotherhood.

Saqaliba
03-05-2012, 01:39 AM
Conspiracy theory: Alex Hutchinson is a Freemason related to Thomas Hutchinson and Ubisoft is a Templar company by which Assassin's Creed is a meme used to direct mass consciousness towards the Beast. :D

Captain Tomatoz
03-05-2012, 01:49 AM
Conspiracy theory: Alex Hutchinson is a Freemason related to Thomas Hutchinson and Ubisoft is a Templar company by which Assassin's Creed is a meme used to direct mass consciousness towards the Beast. :D

Haha, I like it.

Anyway, maybe Patrice just got a better offer from THQ.

souNdwAve89
03-05-2012, 01:53 AM
Well, according to this article, it sounded like Desilets was just getting tired working at Ubisoft.

"Totally. After seven years of “Assassin’s Creed,” even though it was my baby, I felt like I was losing it. I was tired of being told what to do, how to do it and in any organization, if you stay there for a long time, people tend to see you in one way even if you change. (At Ubisoft), I was still the young twentysomething French-Canadian that they hired and not Patrice Désilets. Patrice Désilets is something else than that little boy so that’s a part of the reason why I left. But that break was important for me."

http://blogs.reuters.com/mediafile/2011/07/21/after-leaving-ubisoft-patrice-desilets-is-back-in-the-game-at-thq/ (http://blogs.reuters.com/mediafile/2011/07/21/after-leaving-ubisoft-patrice-desilets-is-back-in-the-game-at-thq/)

SixKeys
03-05-2012, 02:08 AM
I doubt Patrice did much, if anything, on AC3. I'm sure he had some core ideas for Desmond's story that he passed on to his teammates before leaving, but I'm not really worried either way. The AC games are a team effort. Patrice may have been the creator (or co-creator?) but lots of people bring in their own ideas during a game's development process. Just because the guy who set the ball rolling is no longer there doesn't mean no-one on the team has any good ideas about how to handle the franchise.

souNdwAve89
03-05-2012, 02:34 AM
Yeah, no one said that the franchise's success is from one individual, BUT the series was able to get where it is today because of Patrice Desilets. While working on ideas to create a new Prince of Persia title, he researched some Middle Eastern history and stumbled upon the Hashshashin and thought the idea of being one would be a nice idea. The only problem is that the style that Desilets wanted didn't fit with the Prince of Persia games, so Ubisoft trusted him enough and gave the green light to create a new IP. Besides Desilets, he got help from Jade Raymond (experience with open world games) and Corey May (writer).

The trio obviously were a big factor to the first game's success and the team expanded even more with the development of AC2. The thing is that Desilets was just a designer for AC1 and he became a Creative Director for AC2, which shows since AC2 is considered to be the "best" for a lot fans. I'm not trying to say that Desilets is THE guy that made the franchise successful, but I'm just dropping some history.

kriegerdesgottes
03-05-2012, 02:38 AM
I'm sure that if he was still there he would have had something to do with the ideas for both games and Alex probably took over work on ACIII after Patrice left. That's a good point though I just looked at his profile myself and I didn't notice that.

Steww-
03-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Info from GI on him.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/03/05/meet-the-new-creative-director-for-assassin-39-s-creed-iii.aspx

mustangmaniak20
03-06-2012, 12:13 AM
He looks like a really cool guy. A pure gamer that truly knows his stuff. I like him.

egriffin09
03-06-2012, 12:51 AM
I like that he isn't afraid to take risk in developing AC3. I never thought that we would be playing in a forest in an AC game. I say why not, bringing gameplay to the forest and natural open world can be the spark & fresh innovative element this franchise needs to get back to the greatness of AC 2. I also sounds like they are pretty much finished with the game, now they are just polishing it for the Oct 30th release date, which is great.

Subject J80
03-06-2012, 01:18 AM
I like Mr. Hutchinson. From the 10 min GI interview I got a good vibe.

Saqaliba
03-06-2012, 04:17 AM
A fellow Australian.

SixKeys
03-06-2012, 05:09 AM
The fact that in the interview he puts a lot of emphasis on player freedom gives me hope that AC3 won't be as linear as the last couple have been. They need to give us more ways to assassinate a target, without being desynchronized or penalized with "50% sync".

T0rm3nta777
03-06-2012, 07:27 AM
Speaking of Patrice, anyone find it strange that Jasper Kid is scoring Darksiders 2, it seems Mr Désilets has some very good friends.
This means better games for us, all round.

At any rate Corey May was an integral part in the story and character development in AC1/AC2/PoP:WW, so its safe to say that he knows what he's writing about...
Alex, although not as experienced as Corey inside Ubisoft, has worked with Maxis and EA... on games like the Sims, Spore and Army of Two. (A wide variety of styles and flow processes)

AC3 is in very, very good hands from a technical point of view. Lets hope this inspires the multiplayer creative/dev teams to make something that remotely rivals the single player effort.