PDA

View Full Version : How Large were Boston, NYC, Philly, and Baltimore During Colonial America???

ACSineQuaNon
03-04-2012, 03:39 AM
Those are the 4 cities most likely to appear (Boston and NYC already confirmed). Does anyone know how they compare to Renaissance Florence and Venice?

Jexx21
03-04-2012, 03:47 AM
Search google.

This didn't need it's own topic.

rileypoole1234
03-04-2012, 03:51 AM
I think they were all decently sized. I've been to all the cities, and while today they're certainly bigger than they were, they're were very large for the time.

I think Boston will be the biggest, as they should include the main downtown area, Bunker hill, the harbor, and the surrounding area. New York is larger today, but I don't think it will be as big as Boston in this game for some reason. Philadelphia was also a major city, so it was also decently sized, albeit not huge. I don't think they'll include Baltimore in the game. Lexington and Concord is is in the game though, in the Frontier.

Here are some facts about Boston from around 1765.

houses: 1,676
families: 2,069
white males under age sixteen: 4,109
white females under age sixteen: 4,010
white males above age sixteen: 2,941
white females above age sixteen: 3,612
negroes and mulattoes, male: 510
negroes and mulattoes, female: 301
male Indians: 21
female Indians: 16
French neutrals under age 16: none
French neutrals over age 16: none
TOTAL: 15,520 people

There wasn't as much info on NY or Philadelphia, but that gives you a general idea of one of the cities.

ACSineQuaNon
03-04-2012, 03:57 AM
Search google.

This didn't need it's own topic.

I love how you say that so matter-of-factly.

Jexx21
03-04-2012, 03:59 AM
Well, it's true, this didn't need it's own topic. It easily falls into a general discussion topic.

ACSineQuaNon
03-04-2012, 04:07 AM
I think they were all decently sized. I've been to all the cities, and while today they're certainly bigger than they were, they're were very large for the time.

I think Boston will be the biggest, as they should include the main downtown area, Bunker hill, the harbor, and the surrounding area. New York is larger today, but I don't think it will be as big as Boston in this game for some reason. Philadelphia was also a major city, so it was also decently sized, albeit not huge. I don't think they'll include Baltimore in the game. Lexington and Concord is is in the game though, in the Frontier.

Here are some facts about Boston from around 1765.

houses: 1,676
families: 2,069
white males under age sixteen: 4,109
white females under age sixteen: 4,010
white males above age sixteen: 2,941
white females above age sixteen: 3,612
negroes and mulattoes, male: 510
negroes and mulattoes, female: 301
male Indians: 21
female Indians: 16
French neutrals under age 16: none
French neutrals over age 16: none
TOTAL: 15,520 people

There wasn't as much info on NY or Philadelphia, but that gives you a general idea of one of the cities.

Thanks for the quick info. I'm just hoping for Baltimore atm. Philly should be in, though.

Well, it's true, this didn't need it's own topic. It easily falls into a general discussion topic.

Honestly, that's what I call a cool story, bro, such a riveting tale: gripping opening, suspenseful main body, and a bonechilling conclusion. I honestly copy and pasted it to Word, saved on my hard drive, backed it up on a jump drive, drove to the bank, put the jump drive in the safe deposit box, and will leave it there until my kids turn about 12 (when they can actually state their age, and ask what it is I'm showing them), when I will pick it up, put it in an old USB drive reader and relay this cool story to them and tell them, "Kids, this is what a coolstory should look and sound like...not like the stories your generation tells."

In the mean time, I'll read it again. Thanks for making my day.

rileypoole1234
03-04-2012, 04:40 AM
Honestly, that's what I call a cool story, bro, such a riveting tale: gripping opening, suspenseful main body, and a bonechilling conclusion. I honestly copy and pasted it to Word, saved on my hard drive, backed it up on a jump drive, drove to the bank, put the jump drive in the safe deposit box, and will leave it there until my kids turn about 12 (when they can actually state their age, and ask what it is I'm showing them), when I will pick it up, put it in an old USB drive reader and relay this cool story to them and tell them, "Kids, this is what a coolstory should look and sound like...not like the stories your generation tells."

Gotta admit, I lol'ed.

Jexx21
03-04-2012, 04:55 AM
Didn't know that jump drives allowed you to back up data on it along with allowing you to travel at FTL speeds on a space frigate.

kriegerdesgottes
03-04-2012, 04:58 AM
Well I do know that in the year 1790 the first U.S. census was taken and it showed there to be 3.9 million people in the colonies at that particular time and we also know that during that period only 5% of the population actually lived in cities. So I am pretty curious to see what the cities look like especially 20 years earlier during the time of the game. It's gonna be so awesome. I can't help but think too that since the cities are not going to be quite as gigantic as Rome or Paris would be then maybe they can pay more attention to historical accuracy and get everything just right. Not that they haven't always done a great job but having the cities considerably smaller might help a little with accuracy especially since they are much more modern maps and information than when they were looking at stuff from the Renaissance and especially 1191.

rileypoole1234
03-04-2012, 06:03 AM
So I am pretty curious to see what the cities look like especially 20 years earlier during the time of the game.

Have you seen Pirates Of the Caribbean? I imagine when you first enter Boston it will be like when Jack Sparrow first entered Port Royale, all the activity, all the people going about their business, just the overall awesome atmosphere. That's the vibe I got from the picture of Connor in the city(which I assume is Boston).