PDA

View Full Version : The Frontier and general questions about the world.

KrYpToNiC95
03-04-2012, 12:49 AM
My biggest question is, is the frontier going to be bigger than what the kingdom was? because at this point I highly doubt it. Also will they make loading screens between the frontier and the cities or will they go for a more RPG style and limit loading screens to make the world seem less artificial?

GeneralTrumbo
03-04-2012, 12:51 AM
My biggest question is, is the frontier going to be bigger than what the kingdom was? because at this point I highly doubt it. Also will they make loading screens between the frontier and the cities or will they go for a more RPG style and limit loading screens to make the world seem less artificial?

I was wondering the same about the loading thing. But, what has been said is that the frontier is 1.5 times the size of Rome itself. Take from that what you want.

Jexx21
03-04-2012, 12:52 AM
Rome was larger than the Kingdom and the frontier is 1.5 times larger than Rome.
So yes, it is large.

Don't care about loading screens.

GeneralTrumbo
03-04-2012, 12:53 AM
Rome was larger than the Kingdom and the frontier is 1.5 times larger than Rome.
So yes, it is large.

Don't care about loading screens.
I think what he is asking is if there will be tons of loading screens.

rileypoole1234
03-04-2012, 12:55 AM
There won't be any loading screens beside when you're going into a different city I assume. We'll also be able to visit Lexington and Concord in the Frontier.

The13Doctors
03-04-2012, 12:57 AM
Did you really need to make a different thread for this?

Yes, it will be bigger and better.

We can't know about loading screens until we get further in depth details, probably around E3.

I assume it will be somewhat like AC1, having a map about twice the size of all of AC1 loaded at once could put some strain on the game, although there's Anvil 3.0 so it's a possibility.

KrYpToNiC95
03-04-2012, 12:58 AM
How many Rome's do you guys think would fit on the RDR map?

Jexx21
03-04-2012, 01:00 AM
Haven't played RDR, it's console exclusive.

rileypoole1234
03-04-2012, 01:09 AM
How many Rome's do you guys think would fit on the RDR map?

Rome was actually really big, and I haven't played RDR in a while so i'd say 2. One for North America and one for Mexico. Sometimes I feel like that map is too big though, it's rather empty when you're just riding around.

KrYpToNiC95
03-04-2012, 01:13 AM
Rome was actually really big, and I haven't played RDR in a while so i'd say 2. One for North America and one for Mexico. Sometimes I feel like that map is too big though, it's rather empty when you're just riding around.

I would have thought 4 or 5 Romes, perhaps I'm wrong

GeneralTrumbo
03-04-2012, 01:13 AM
I would say about 3-4 actually.

GeneralTrumbo
03-04-2012, 01:14 AM
I would have thought 4 or 5 Romes, perhaps I'm wrong
Maybe 5. Red Dead Redemption's map definitely surpassed Rome pretty much, though.

AnthonyA85
03-04-2012, 01:16 AM
If you think about it, the Kingdom was actually only 50-75% passable terrain, the rest was impassable cliff/water, and since acording to that GI article, some of the story will take place in the Frontier (Conor's village is also located there, probably something like Tyber Island) then it would stand to reason that it is deffinately bigger than the Kingdom, I just hope the extra cities we can visit are not mission specific, like the Village and Massyaf were in ACR.

Though it will be interesting to see how they handle the Viewpoint system, since there weren't any fortress towers dotted around the American countryside back in those days, unless you went down to the Mayan and Aztec territories.

rileypoole1234
03-04-2012, 01:46 AM
I thought RDR's map was big, but like I said, sometimes a little too big. I found myself bored just riding around. I'm glad that there'll be missions, animals, Lexington and Concord, and many other things in the Frontier. I'm so excited for this game.

twenty_glyphs
03-04-2012, 03:18 AM
If you think about it, the Kingdom was actually only 50-75% passable terrain, the rest was impassable cliff/water, and since acording to that GI article, some of the story will take place in the Frontier (Conor's village is also located there, probably something like Tyber Island) then it would stand to reason that it is deffinately bigger than the Kingdom, I just hope the extra cities we can visit are not mission specific, like the Village and Massyaf were in ACR.

Though it will be interesting to see how they handle the Viewpoint system, since there weren't any fortress towers dotted around the American countryside back in those days, unless you went down to the Mayan and Aztec territories.

The article also mentioned climbing landmark trees that were hundreds of years old. I get the feeling that those trees will have viewpoints.

GeneralTrumbo
03-04-2012, 03:20 AM
The article also mentioned climbing landmark trees that were hundreds of years old. I get the feeling that those trees will have viewpoints.
I LOVE the idea of all these trees, but I don't want them to take it so serious that we have such super-small cities.

ACSineQuaNon
03-04-2012, 03:38 AM
I LOVE the idea of all these trees, but I don't want them to take it so serious that we have such super-small cities.

Yes, that would suck big time. Does anyone know how big Boston, NYC, Philly, and Baltimore (the 4 most likely cities to appear) were during Colonial America?

zerocooll21
03-04-2012, 03:40 AM
Sorry I must have missed the article about this, anyone have a link?

GeneralTrumbo
03-04-2012, 03:45 AM
Sorry I must have missed the article about this, anyone have a link?
Check your PMs.

zerocooll21
03-04-2012, 04:25 AM
Thanks much :D

twenty_glyphs
03-04-2012, 04:48 AM
Yes, that would suck big time. Does anyone know how big Boston, NYC, Philly, and Baltimore (the 4 most likely cities to appear) were during Colonial America?

They don't seem to be too big, but a great point was made by Kotaku that everything so far in the series has been built smaller than scale. So as big as the cities in the last 3 games have been, they're still not to scale when it comes to dimensions and height. They were all scaled down to make them work in the confines of the game and to fit within technical limitations. It's likely that the cities in AC3 could be done more to scale, making them similar sizes as cities like Florence or maybe Venice in the game, even though they weren't in real life. I would be fine with that. Give me three cities about the size of Florence that are very distinct, plus the large Frontier area and any other side locations, and I will be satisfied. That would end up being more variety and map size than even AC2 had.

pirate1802
03-04-2012, 06:02 AM
There were rumours of RDR coming to the PC? Boy do I wanna play that game!

Ontopic: Awesome Frontier will be awesome.

naran6142
03-04-2012, 07:02 AM
this game is sounding like RDR meets AC... and Im loving it :D

Even tho RDR may have seen empty at times, Im still finding little surprises in it. Plus I love the idea of free running through trees.

I wonder if horses will return? Probably cuz of the maps size.

GeneralTrumbo
03-04-2012, 07:04 AM

Even tho RDR may have seen empty at times, Im still finding little surprises in it. Plus I love the idea of free running through trees.

I sure hope horses return! I sure loved them! Maybe even carriages!(It has already been confirmed there will be moving carriages in the city, which you can jump on the back off ^_^)

ACSineQuaNon
03-04-2012, 07:05 AM

There are a couple of pics from Game Informer w/ horses. Plus, Connor is shown riding one in a city. I just hope they bring back the ability to gallop.

GeneralTrumbo
03-04-2012, 07:09 AM
There are a couple of pics from Game Informer w/ horses. Plus, Connor is shown riding one in a city. I just hope they bring back the ability to gallop.
Oh yeah! Well, I sure hope they are back! They are awesome!

naran6142
03-04-2012, 07:16 AM
I sure hope horses return! I sure loved them! Maybe even carriages!(It has already been confirmed there will be moving carriages in the city, which you can jump on the back off ^_^)

I like being able to ride a horse its just that there were to many of them in rome, like on the streets. Carriages sound pretty cool, could make for some awesome close up combat

galloping would be nice too... :p

GeneralTrumbo
03-04-2012, 07:21 AM
I like being able to ride a horse its just that there were to many of them in rome, like on the streets. Carriages sound pretty cool, could make for some awesome close up combat

galloping would be nice too... :p
As far as I know, they will be on the streets of AC3. But, then again, the streets of those cities were very much open and wide.

lothario-da-be
03-04-2012, 07:49 AM
is just bought RDR and i'm not so far in the game but i think 3times

GeneralTrumbo
03-04-2012, 08:03 AM
is just bought RDR and i'm not so far in the game but i think 3times
It is a very good game.

rileypoole1234
03-04-2012, 08:01 PM

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/431197_3318028639031_1517720438_32921124_812707124 _n.jpg

freddie_1897
03-04-2012, 08:37 PM
There will probably be some really cool viewpoints on top of cliffs as well, Christ this game will be epic, I've always wanted them to mix free running with the environment, and I hope the frontier is easier to roam than the kingdom, the kingdom felt more like a path than an area.

Evenesque
03-04-2012, 08:37 PM
The frontier is only a third of the mission structure in the game, but it's a Rome and a Half. Don't forget that Hutchinson said the map of brotherhood, not just rome the city. So the Frontier is the size of the entire map including countryside, and another half of that mushed together full of climbable trees and cliffsides, along with a night/day cycle and weather system that can freeze bodies of water and change entire core animations like walking and fighting not just for you, but everyone else.

As for the horses, horses were a huge part of life on the frontier because of how sparsely populated it was back then. There were very large distances between settlements of rough country and you either walked, or used a horse to ride or pull a coach/carraige. I think the concept art of Connor on the horse in the settlement is a lot more literal than most concept art gets. I think we'll be using horses a lot more, and something tells me that the new fast travel mechanic will work like GTA IV's taxis or RDR's coaches. They'll want to show off the anvil 3 engine and let you actual experience the trip.

Plus there's the fact that Boston and New york are both in the game. Even if one of the cities is treated as the cavern in ACR, it still has to be it's own zone. There's going to be a loading screen somewhere. Even if the Frontier is a condensed version of the wildnerness between NY and Boston, it would still be incredibly ridiculous for the developers to say that Both cities can be on the same map on a modern console, not only from a logistical standpoint, but a technological standpoint. A current console wouldn't be able to handle it.

What I'm newly interested in, is how will interior space work? The GI article conveyed a sequence of gameplay where Connor's escape from the law leads him through someone's window, and then out the other side of the building. Will interiors of buildings be more open, will doors actually move on their hinges, or will the game still keep it's traditional zone/cell structure for separating interiors and exteriors?

ShaneO7K
03-04-2012, 09:17 PM
It would be interesting if some of the AI or cities were more hostile to Connor than others due to him being a native.

twenty_glyphs
03-04-2012, 10:08 PM
It would be interesting if some of the AI or cities were more hostile to Connor than others due to him being a native.

I'm interested in this too, but I have a feeling it will work based on how the war is going. British troops occupied different cities at different times, including Boston, New York and Philadelphia. I could imagine a system where the guards were more hostile and didn't let you enter the cities freely during the times they were occupied.

brick177
03-04-2012, 10:11 PM
I thought they said 1.5 times bigger not 1.5 times as big. So, a total of 2.5 Romes.

zStrictStyle
03-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Rome=Florence*3 Frontier=Rome*1.5=5 cities.

Evenesque
03-04-2012, 10:42 PM
I thought they said 1.5 times bigger not 1.5 times as big. So, a total of 2.5 Romes.

Hutchinson said it's 1.5 times as big as the map of Brotherhood. That means its a Rome and a half. Even if he said it the other way, that's not what he meant, because a console can't do that.

Rome=Florence*3 Frontier=Rome*1.5=5 cities.

What?

brick177
03-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Hutchinson said it's 1.5 times as big as the map of Brotherhood. That means its a Rome and a half. Even if he said it the other way, that's not what he meant, because a console can't do that.

What?

Thanks! Makes sense. Still big!

pacmanate
03-04-2012, 10:53 PM
I'd be happy if the frontier was just the size of rome! Rome was massive if just grass, but I can just tell that AC III will be populated with loads of wildlife, rivers, mountains, trees, camp settlements, it sounds awesome! I do have one thing that is getting to me. The game informer article said something about in winter, rivers will be frozen giving access to new areas. Well does this mean that we can't swim to the new areas or something?

Evenesque
03-04-2012, 10:57 PM
I'd be happy if the frontier was just the size of rome! Rome was massive if just grass, but I can just tell that AC III will be populated with loads of wildlife, rivers, mountains, trees, camp settlements, it sounds awesome! I do have one thing that is getting to me. The game informer article said something about in winter, rivers will be frozen giving access to new areas. Well does this mean that we can't swim to the new areas or something?

It means, in my opinion, that in the hard freeze of winter months, the environment will change. That river you leap of faith jumped into 3 hours before is now frozen, so you may have to jump into a bush off to the side that you didn't see before. The lake in the center of a region is now solid ground, you may be able to walk on it and climb up to a ledge you couldn't reach before because you had to swim, and weren't high enough/couldn't climb while swimming.

SixKeys
03-04-2012, 11:22 PM
If the environment radically changes with the seasons the way Sabiox suggests, it would be cool if that affected the missions you can do. For example some missions are only available in the winter, or some collectables are only reachable in the summer when the ice has melted.

pacmanate
03-04-2012, 11:24 PM
If the environment radically changes with the seasons the way Sabiox suggests, it would be cool if that affected the missions you can do. For example some missions are only available in the winter, or some collectables are only reachable in the summer when the ice has melted.

Bare in mind that winter and summer both come once a year....? It wont be a frequent back and forth of summer and winter months

fox_634
03-04-2012, 11:27 PM
I'm curious on how we'll be able to kill a bear with a sword/knife.. Because in Red Dead Redemption that was a *****..

pacmanate
03-04-2012, 11:28 PM
That was a hoe of a challenge! I actually just realised when saying my summer winter cycle thing, they come once a year. How many cycles can we possibly have or do you think the cycle will be sequenced based?

brick177
03-04-2012, 11:32 PM
That was a hoe of a challenge! I actually just realised when saying my summer winter cycle thing, they come once a year. How many cycles can we possibly have or do you think the cycle will be sequenced based?

This.

It'll only make major changes in time when you complete sequences IMO.

freddie_1897
03-04-2012, 11:37 PM
How big was concord and lexington and was Lexington destroyed in the battle?
Also, do you think we'll be able to get houses?

SixKeys
03-04-2012, 11:37 PM
Bare in mind that winter and summer both come once a year....? It wont be a frequent back and forth of summer and winter months

True, it could still mean for example that you join a, say, archery club in the summer but they won't have any target practice for you in the winter because they'll be too busy providing for their families or whatnot. And there could be maybe a flag/feather or some other collectable that you can clearly see up on a cliff in summer time, but you won't be able to reach it until next winter when the lake freezes over. Kind of like in the old Zelda games where you could only find certain items depending on if it was night or day.

fox_634
03-04-2012, 11:38 PM
I hope they wont make it like carnavale in Venice. I looked almost like it was always carnavale when I was in Venice. They should make it either in sequences or each 3/4 hours.

SixKeys
03-04-2012, 11:42 PM
I hope they wont make it like carnavale in Venice. I looked almost like it was always carnavale when I was in Venice. They should make it either in sequences or each 3/4 hours.

The "eternal Carnevale" was probably something they would have removed but ran out of time. AC3 is almost finished already and soon they'll have 9-10 months left to tweak and polish little things like that. I'm pretty certain the seasons will be story-tied, so they will be fixed to particular sequences.

brick177
03-04-2012, 11:42 PM
How big was concord and lexington and was Lexington destroyed in the battle?
Also, do you think we'll be able to get houses?

They were tiny, think of the towns in Tuscany in AC2.

Here's a painting of Concord:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/59/British_Army_in_Concord_Detail.jpg

And a map of the area. Lexington and Concord are in the upper left corner:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ca/Lexington_Concord_Siege_of_Boston.jpg

freddie_1897
03-04-2012, 11:44 PM
I wonder, if there are seasons, then that gives you an idea of how long a year is, so will there be any festivals? Like for new year, and will they have people going to church and celebrations on Christmas?

dxsxhxcx
03-04-2012, 11:46 PM
I wonder, if there are seasons, then that gives you an idea of how long a year is, so will there be any festivals? Like for new year, and will they have people going to church and celebrations on Christmas?

According to what I read there'll be seasons, winter and summer at least...

freddie_1897
03-04-2012, 11:47 PM
According to what I read there'll be seasons, winter and summer at least...

That wasn't really my question ...

blazefp
03-04-2012, 11:50 PM
I wouldn't count on that. I'm not sure they're gonna go to such small details but I hope I'm wrong

GeneralTrumbo
03-04-2012, 11:52 PM
That would be AWESOME! They did say that the towns would be much more active, so hopefully this is a part of that.

GeneralTrumbo
03-04-2012, 11:53 PM
I wouldn't count on that. I'm not sure they're gonna go to such small details but I hope I'm wrong
Well we do know there are moving carriages in town that you can jump on, so I wouldn't say just yet.

TorQue1988
03-04-2012, 11:55 PM
I think the seasons will be scripted and not dynamic, which means we could see some scripted festivals as well, like the Carnevale in AC2.

Evenesque
03-04-2012, 11:57 PM
I think the seasons will be scripted and not dynamic, which means we could see some scripted festivals as well, like the Carnevale in AC2.

I think Ubisoft is smart enough to implement a lodge sort of house, or a place to sleep, that lets you fast foward the game when the plot-relative seasons are over with so you can change the seasons at will.

freddie_1897
03-04-2012, 11:58 PM

The carnevale was like the DFS sale here in London; It never ends (those of you who don't know what DFS is, it's a sofa shop)

TorQue1988
03-04-2012, 11:58 PM
I think Ubisoft is smart enough to implement a lodge sort of house, or a place to sleep, that lets you fast foward the game when the plot-relative seasons are over with so you can change the seasons at will.
You mean after the main story?
That would be really great.

brick177
03-04-2012, 11:59 PM

If it doesn't change cyclically then they have to do something like this.

TorQue1988
03-05-2012, 12:03 AM
If it doesn't change cyclically then they have to do something like this.
I really don't see how they could make it dynamic because of the historical aspect of the game.
If the game was entirely fictional and took place throughout an undetermined period of time, like Grand Theft Auto, then cyclical seasons could be implemented easily i guess, but for a game like AC is really hard to do, if not impossible.
But yeah, some way of changing the seasons at will after the main story is a must.

brick177
03-05-2012, 12:04 AM
I really don't see how they could make it dynamic because of the historical aspect of the game.
If the game was entirely fictional and took place throughout an undetermined period of time, like Grand Theft Auto, then cyclical seasons could be implemented easily i guess.

Exactly my thoughts.