PDA

View Full Version : Since bows and hunting are in, do you think we'll finally be able to free-aim?

Alabama Love
03-03-2012, 08:30 PM
I always disliked the lock on system.

LightRey
03-03-2012, 08:31 PM
I'd say it's certainly possible.

n3krOiZ
03-03-2012, 08:38 PM
third person shooter coming? What did i miss? Am i not a predator now? D=

blazefp
03-03-2012, 08:46 PM
free aim would be awesome, it'd bring a lot more freedom to the gameplay

LightRey
03-03-2012, 08:50 PM
free aim would be awesome, it'd bring a lot more freedom to the gameplay

Which is exactly the point of the AC gameplay, so let's keep our fingers crossed for that, or something that might even work better (who knows?).

DavisP92
03-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Well if you look at what Ubisoft has said about hunting, if you kill a bear in one shot you can sell the pelt for more (meaning you can kill it other ways, by stabbing and etc. of course, but that also could mean that you could mess up and have to use more arrows to kill it. So then that means the bow gameplay would most likely be up to the gamer (free-aim) so that we could shoot a bear in the head :P. well maybe, we won't know until they say so and show us

EDIT: Also what would be nice to see is if we have 10 arrows in our quiver then we should see them and when we use lets say 5 then we see that we have 5 left. Also i'd like to pick them back up and if i shoot an arrow at a guard's arm and it attaches to a horse then the horse drags the guard away :P.

blazefp
03-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Well if you look at what Ubisoft has said about hunting, if you kill a bear in one shot you can sell the pelt for more (meaning you can kill it other ways, by stabbing and etc. of course, but that also could mean that you could mess up and have to use more arrows to kill it. So then that means the bow gameplay would most likely be up to the gamer (free-aim) so that we could shoot a bear in the head :P. well maybe, we won't know until they say so and show us

Well thought, u just raised my hopes good sir

rafiqul84
03-03-2012, 09:49 PM
Hmm, i wonder if they would make it work like the GTA system - auto lock on the chest for those who dont care about accuracy but then once the chest is being aimed at you can "tilt" the camera upwards for the head shot, this would be a much kinder system for those who sturggle to handle "complete" free aim with no target assist.

blazefp
03-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Nah I don't think GTA system would be better than free aim. Have you ever played Skyrim? Free aim definitely works and it works awesomely. I rather prefer free aim a lot more than auto-lock and free aim. However they could put there that system as an option.

NuclearFuss
03-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Well i've seen the leaked GI article. Apparently target lock is gone in combat, although it doesn't mention whether it's gone completely. I think accurate air assassinations could be pretty difficult without it.

DavisP92
03-03-2012, 10:19 PM
the only problem with free aim would be the adjustment to the target's speed, wind and distance. but it would be really cool to kill 4 guards and as the target runs you pull your bow and and shoot one arrow and it kills him. That would give me an amazing feeling of accomplishment. I think when the game comes out i'm going to just walk around in the forest practicing my shot

@sackboy,

actually the lock on isn't really gone if i remember correctly, it just does it for you

freddie_1897
03-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Nah I don't think GTA system would be better than free aim. Have you ever played Skyrim? Free aim definitely works and it works awesomely. I rather prefer free aim a lot more than auto-lock and free aim. However they could put there that system as an option.
yes, but skyrim is first person, its easier to aim in first person

DavisP92
03-03-2012, 10:32 PM
yes, but skyrim is first person, its easier to aim in first person

that is very true, but i feel like Ubisoft would do something that made third person free aim fun and enjoyable. what i want to know is if they will have a cross-hair where the arrow will always land no matter how far the distance. (the cross-hair could stay in place while but Connor will adjust automatically for the distance)

SixKeys
03-03-2012, 10:40 PM
I'm sure they have a workable system in store for us. I'm not a big fan of first-person and I don't want this game to resemble Skyrim too much, so I wouldn't necessarily want that type of aiming. I don't see why aiming with your bow couldn't work similarly to the crossbow and hidden gun, or even bombs (where it tells you the approximate distance the projectile will fly before it starts to land). Just because lock-on has been done away with in combat doesn't necessarily mean it won't be there while you're hunting.

jatt100
03-03-2012, 10:40 PM
I always HATED the fact that we couldnt free aim with cross bow and hidden gun in the past AC games. So Im hopin we can free aim in AC3. :p

DavisP92
03-03-2012, 10:45 PM
I'm sure they have a workable system in store for us. I'm not a big fan of first-person and I don't want this game to resemble Skyrim too much, so I wouldn't necessarily want that type of aiming. I don't see why aiming with your bow couldn't work similarly to the crossbow and hidden gun, or even bombs (where it tells you the approximate distance the projectile will fly before it starts to land). Just because lock-on has been done away with in combat doesn't necessarily mean it won't be there while you're hunting.

well i think the lock on system for ranged weapons wasn't great. Mainly the crossbow, sometimes you can shoot a blot and it will hit a guards arm and kill them instantly. To me that's just dumb, with free aim or lock on with certain body parts and enhanced AI (where the AI can realize it was shot in a certain body part and react to it accordingly) would make the bow and arrow gameplay the best in all games (one's i can think of)

kudos17
03-03-2012, 10:49 PM
It's hard to say. Combat is much, MUCH different in AC3 than the other entries in the series.

For example, no target-lock. The defense/counter are the same control. The camera angles have been tweaked. At this point, we can guess what the bow gameplay will be like, but don't expect it to be anything like the crossbow.

notafanboy
03-03-2012, 10:53 PM
i really, really hope that we can free aim in this one, what i donīt like about it is that if youīr trying to kill someone in a large group,youīre going to end up targeting the wrong person. @Pdavis isnīt that the point ?

freddie_1897
03-03-2012, 10:54 PM
I'm pretty sure it will be free aim, but with some aim assist

playassassins1
03-03-2012, 10:56 PM
I like the aiming system in Skyrim, but that won't work in AC III. But the aiming system of a TPS might work?

But i might be wrong.

ElDoucherino
03-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Here's a thought...maybe they will implement the bomb aim for the bow aim...if you recall when throwing the bomb, you saw where it would land regardless of shell type...so when aiming, a animus style like projection path will appear and show us where the shot will end...that would work...that beats the crosshair that has been mentioned in here...

But then again...it might be some new and improved system...we just have to wait and see

DavisP92
03-03-2012, 11:00 PM
I like the aiming system in Skyrim, but that won't work in AC III. But the aiming system of a TPS might work?

But i might be wrong.

the arrows shouldn't fly straight, it should curve. Ubisoft can do two things with the aiming system as a third person view. There is the traditional adjust the cross-hair for the release but that would make it extremely difficult to kill and keep your eye on the target. the second and most interesting would be the cross-hair stays in place but Connor adjusts automatically for the distance.

Alabama Love
03-03-2012, 11:00 PM

I'm not asking for first-person
Free-aim can be done in third

Assassin_M
03-03-2012, 11:04 PM
When I read the name of this I read it like this:
"Since-bows-and-hunting-are-in-do-you-think-we-ll-finally-be-able-to-free-ROAM?" SO I was like..

[IMAGE REMOVED FOR CONTENT]

notafanboy
03-03-2012, 11:06 PM

But i might be wrong.

third person shooter ?, i think thatīs what most people have in mind

Alabama Love
03-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Here's a thought...maybe they will implement the bomb aim for the bow aim...if you recall when throwing the bomb, you saw where it would land regardless of shell type...so when aiming, a animus style like projection path will appear and show us where the shot will end...that would work...that beats the crosshair that has been mentioned in here...

But then again...it might be some new and improved system...we just have to wait and see

sounds worse than crosshairs

ElDoucherino
03-03-2012, 11:12 PM
sounds worse than crosshairs

I couldn't care less how it looks :p as long as we can move while aiming and don't stand there like a fool while a bear is charging on you

D.I.D.
03-03-2012, 11:13 PM

I hope not. That ruined bombs for me. The only difference between auto-aim and that kind of targeting is time; it's still an instant kill.

I want to aim, and ideally I want to have to aim higher depending on my distance to the target. This is going to be a long game, and I would like the experience of becoming better at ranged combat through familiarity alone.

ElDoucherino
03-03-2012, 11:20 PM
I hope not. That ruined bombs for me. The only difference between auto-aim and that kind of targeting is time; it's still an instant kill.

I want to aim, and ideally I want to have to aim higher depending on my distance to the target. This is going to be a long game, and I would like the experience of becoming better at ranged combat through familiarity alone.

Yeah, it was a bit dull. Why I mentioned the system as a possibilty was that i found it rather obvious (or its just me) that they wanted to test the aim system before hand and implemented bombs which isn't the same but similar. Maybe to be aquinted with it when AC3 released...but I am as opposed to it as you are and ideally i want to aim on feeling rather then that the game helps me. But AC has done this before, simplified it for us gamers and I would be surprised if this was the case with the bow aiming.

TorQue1988
03-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Free aiming would be great.
I'm also wondering if we can choose between bow and crossbow.

GeneralTrumbo
03-03-2012, 11:42 PM
I think it will zoom in on connor's head kinda and let you aim down sight. You guys know what I mean?

DavisP92
03-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Free aiming would be great.
I'm also wondering if we can choose between bow and crossbow.

No i highly doubt that will be possible, mainly because you could do more with the bow and because Connor is part native american.

GeneralTrumbo
03-04-2012, 12:14 AM
No i highly doubt that will be possible, mainly because you could do more with the bow and because Connor is part native american.
Exactly. I think people are thinking that this game will be similar to the other AC's or something.

DannyStrong
03-04-2012, 12:14 AM
i don't think i'd enjoy free aiming.. I like the game for the free running and the melee action. Having to slow down and do all this careful manual aiming would only serve to take the player out of the action.

GeneralTrumbo
03-04-2012, 12:18 AM
i don't think i'd enjoy free aiming.. I like the game for the free running and the melee action. Having to slow down and do all this careful manual aiming would only serve to take the player out of the action.
But Connor is a hunter. He hunts for the prey. He doesn't run through the forest like a mad man.

playassassins1
03-04-2012, 12:22 AM
i think i will only use the bow for long range stealth attacks. Much like Splinter Cell.

blazefp
03-04-2012, 12:24 AM

You don't need to slow down. This free aim would only make you choose your actions more carefully. plus when you're running you don't take out a bow and start shooting people. Firstly you kill your target carefully with your bow, then you get the **** outta there as fast as u can...assassin's way :)

Alabama Love
03-04-2012, 12:24 AM

I don't see how it would take you out of the action unless you're a bad shot.

GeneralTrumbo
03-04-2012, 12:28 AM
What will I do? I will get in a tree, waiting for my target. And then shoot them with bow and arrow! =D

DavisP92
03-04-2012, 04:39 AM
What will I do? I will get in a tree, waiting for my target. And then shoot them with bow and arrow! =D

this, i can't wait to shoot an arrow from behind a bush and then climb a tree and shoot some more :)

Songbali
06-02-2012, 10:07 PM
I'd like to resurrect this topic because I see no reason to create a new one.

My thoughts are as follows: We've had auto-aim for every Assassin's Creed game since the second one. I'm getting sick of it. It doesn't feel realistic, and I personally hated the hidden gun. It was okay to have, but the fact that you couldn't aim it manually really bothered me. I like to feel like I'm in control. I don't feel that way when the game takes control away from me and kills somebody for me. I'm not the one playing the game then. I'm not the one feeling the satisfaction of a carefully placed shot. If computers could feel, the computer would be the one feeling that. The only thing even close to free-aim that we have had so far are the grenades/bombs and the throwing knives.

I can understand why people would like auto-aim, as well, though. If you are bad at aiming, it does it for you. That's really the only logical reason I can think of, to be honest. It feels like an unnecessary handicap. II will be buying it on PC, but in all the previous games I played the AC games on console. I don't think that fact that console players use controllers should mean lack of free aim. I want to be able to improve my aim, and reflexes. I can't do that with free-aim.

Sorry if my thoughts seem jumbled and out of order, but I really don't feel like organizing them either.

RzaRecta357
06-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Should just be optional.

Songbali
06-02-2012, 11:34 PM
This is also a good idea. I was thinking of it myself, but I couldn't work out a good way to implement it. I guess if you chose it before you started the game, it would work then. After all, they are going for something pretty different than other AC games.

masterfenix2009
06-03-2012, 02:48 AM
I would like an option for auto lock on.I prefer to auto lock.

GunnarGunderson
06-03-2012, 07:33 AM
Here's how I think aiming should work. It uses the same perspective as shooting from the other games, and there is still the cone effect that slowly narrows. How it differs is that the cone never becomes a straight line, it will remain a cone (the narrowness depends on the weapon) and when you move your aim too fast the cone widens until you hold it steady again

freddie_1897
06-03-2012, 08:31 AM
and yet this question was already answered by alex hutchinson in the game informer podcast:

the bows will not be free aim because they didnt want to make it seem like a 3rd person shooter and the point is that, as an assassin, if you are aiming at something, you will hit it. you cant free aim, but you can choose which part of the animal you hit

Grazel69
06-03-2012, 05:23 PM
and yet this question was already answered by alex hutchinson in the game informer podcast:

the bows will not be free aim because they didnt want to make it seem like a 3rd person shooter and the point is that, as an assassin, if you are aiming at something, you will hit it. you cant free aim, but you can choose which part of the animal you hit

which is a bull**** thing for them to do it's just again something that will make the game way to easy
and as for normal hand to hand combat goes havn't seen any improvement on that part either
which means on top of the previous easy mode they made it even more easier mode
they might as well just give us one button to push that does everything

freddie_1897
06-03-2012, 06:30 PM
which is a bull**** thing for them to do it's just again something that will make the game way to easy
and as for normal hand to hand combat goes havn't seen any improvement on that part either
How about you wait until you've actually seen how it works rather than forming an opinion based on a couple of sentences?

BATISTABUS
06-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Since the quality of the kill determines how much money you get for a pelt, I'd say so.

Assassin_M
06-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Ah, can you please tell me more about the glorious video that showed the hand-to-hand combat ?

UrDeviant1
06-03-2012, 07:48 PM
I'v said before that Id prefer the Bow to not be Free-aim, but after playing Max Payne 3 and seeing how much more enjoyable Free-aim was to use, I think Id actually prefer to use the Bow this way. I can't see a problem with Ubi giving use the option between the two.

GIONAScm2
06-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Free-aim would be an amazing addition to AC. Being able to free-aim throwing knives, bows, guns, and throwable heavy weapons sounds amazing.

It would also add another layer of Multiplayer, as there can be a 'Hardcore' mode where auto aim is off and you can only free aim! Oh god now I'm gonna be dissapointed if there isn't free aim, and something tells me there won't. :(

Assassin_M
06-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Free-aim would be an amazing addition to AC. Being able to free-aim throwing knives, bows, guns, and throwable heavy weapons sounds amazing.

It would also add another layer of Multiplayer, as there can be a 'Hardcore' mode where auto aim is off and you can only free aim! Oh god now I'm gonna be dissapointed if there isn't free aim, and something tells me there won't. :(
There wont..

playassassins1
06-03-2012, 08:16 PM
There wont..

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, had to do that...

GIONAScm2
06-03-2012, 08:31 PM
There wont..

Source?

Assassin_M
06-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Source?
Read the Game informer Articles..

GIONAScm2
06-03-2012, 08:36 PM
How would one go about finding this article within the interwebs?

Assassin_M
06-03-2012, 08:38 PM
How would one go about finding this article within the interwebs?
Exactly my point..
How do you expect me to bring you the source you`re too lazy to look for ? xD
Im lazy too:p

Sick_one12
06-03-2012, 08:47 PM
doesnt the fact that theres no free aim kinda "destroy" the thrill and importance of hunting ?

i mean, it was said the value of every fur you gain depends on how many hits it took to kill the animal.
but how is it gona work with no free aiming? wont it take the same amount of hits every time if we cant choose were to shoot the animal?:confused:

im also wondering if we will be able to dive with free swimming under the surface this time around:D

GIONAScm2
06-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Exactly my point..
How do you expect me to bring you the source you`re too lazy to look for ? xD
Im lazy too:p

Well I guess I win then! I'd like to thank the academy and all my fellow forumites.
AC3 FREE AIM FTW!!!!

playassassins1
06-03-2012, 10:05 PM
doesnt the fact that theres no free aim kinda "destroy" the thrill and importance of hunting ?

i mean, it was said the value of every fur you gain depends on how many hits it took to kill the animal.
but how is it gona work with no free aiming? wont it take the same amount of hits every time if we cant choose were to shoot the animal?:confused:

im also wondering if we will be able to dive with free swimming under the surface this time around:D

This!!! I don't want want auto-aim!

danielgervide
06-04-2012, 01:50 PM
I think that aim system like godfather would fit better in assassin's creed, auto lock on enemies but you can still adjust your crosshair for better shots (auto lock in the chest but as they are away you need to put the crosshair much more above to get the chest shot or an headshot).

What do you think guys? :D

BATISTABUS
06-05-2012, 01:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=F2i-dRkPtQA#t=60s

I'M STILL NOT SURE! It did lock, but the cross-hair looked as if it could potentially be movable, otherwise there wouldn't need to be one.

rob.davies2014
06-05-2012, 01:14 AM
All in all: an amazing demo. However I didn't like the fact that Connor unslung his bow, drew an arrow, ****ed it, aimed and shot all under a second, it seemed too unrealistic too me. But then he's a pro huntsman and I'm not...

MetalCreed
06-05-2012, 02:22 AM
Guys, 95% sure there will be. The crosshair was still there when he kill the buck/ deer whatever the heck Connor killed hinting it was movable.
Alex Hutchinson also said something regarding aiming/ auto-aim. Not in the same words but something concerning that. That they will give players the freedom but also sometimes just to look cool it will auto-aim.
I can't find where he said that.

Also, what the hell did Connor use to kill the wolves?

Seemed way to fast. Was it a musket?

Calvarok
06-05-2012, 02:25 AM
He used two flintlock pistols. Two quick shots before you can reload. Seems like it will be interesting in fights.

Assassin_M
06-05-2012, 02:26 AM
Did any one notice him using the gun to fire at the barrels of Explosives ?:rolleyes:
Did not look like Auto-lock to me

SixKeys
06-05-2012, 02:34 AM
Did any one notice him using the gun to fire at the barrels of Explosives ?:rolleyes:
Did not look like Auto-lock to me

Hmm, so there will be options? Maybe you use lock-on for NPCs and animals and free aim for inanimate objects.