PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Flight

99th Obsidian
02-29-2012, 02:48 PM
Is now available for free download. I tried it, flew 2 missions. No Track IR support, or trim mappable to an axis. Demo is limited. This is NOT FS 2012. Even with grfx maxed didnt look as good as IL2 today.

joeap
03-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Not for me, and I'm not the only one: http://www.simhq.com/_air14/air_525a.html

Warrington_Wolf
03-05-2012, 10:58 PM
I've heard nothing but bad things about it from several sources, I've bought every Microsoft flight sim since 1996 including the 3 combat flight simulators but I won't be getting this one.

I can't help but feel that Microsoft have shot themselves in the foot by going down this route, they've toned down the realism so the die hard simmers will be put off, and there is nothing to shoot so the little kiddies that this sim is aimed at will get bored and not bother paying for addons.
It's hard to imagine that this sim will cater to any of the flight sim communities needs.

1. The GA pilots like myself like to just take off from my home field and explore the area. On that subject I will now have to pay through the nose now just to do that, and will I get Bartons famous listed building control tower, or even a couple of small hangers? Will I balls, I'll get the crappy default hangers that are big enough to hold a 747, it will look ridiculous. Oh and on that bombshell my home field isn't for sailplanes (although it does get flooded in winter and we get ducks on the runway:) ) so I will have to pay again to fly a suitable plane.

2. The Airline pilots will have to fork out the most. If for example somebody wants to simulate a typical Easyjet flight to any airport in Europe, they will have to buy the scenery for the countries they fly over to get there, not just for the scenery but also for all the navaids.

3. The Military pilots will be in the same boat as the airline pilots, have to spend a pretty penny to get planes and scenery, what can they simulate at the moment? flying around a Hawaii for an hour, whoopy bleeding doo. People are just going to pretend to attack Pearl Harbour, that is once you've paid for a Zero or any WW2 fighter.

I reckon the aircraft companies are a bit unhappy about this as well, fair enough it won't affect their bank balance or their reputation but it would have been a cracking chance for Cessna to advertise the new Skycatcher, and for Boeing to advertise the new Dreamliner.
The only people I can imagine rubbing their hands with glee over all this are the people at X-plane.