PDA

View Full Version : Dive bombing in a Val

Noxx0s
02-25-2012, 03:27 AM
I'm trying to learn how to do this, I don't have any exp with bombers (just fighter-bombing)... is there a special sight or something I need to be aware of and how do I use it?

thanks

Luno13
02-25-2012, 09:08 AM
Your question is quite open-ended. Are there any problems you have in particular?

Bombing in the Val is not quite like bombing in a Stuka. For one, you don't have a floor window. You must keep track of the target through the side corner windows, and when ready, you must turn to the target. It helps to make a good mental image of the target and other references so you can be sure it's under you. I approach the target at 3000-4000 meters.

Reduce power, but keep pitch as high as practical. Open the dive brakes and dive down, keeping good rudder coordination (ball is centered).

I like to pull out as high as possible to avoid flak and fighters. This is usually 750-1000 meters. To me, my (virtual) life is more important than that of the target.

Keep the target under the cross-hairs as long as possible. If your dive is not completely vertical, you will need to toss the bombs slightly. Do this by pulling up just a tad before release. The further you are from vertical, the greater this toss will need to be.

Note that in the Ju-87 D-5 this is computed for you. All you have to do is enter drop height (the plane will drop bombs automatically at this height) and speed at the drop point (about 600 kph from 3000 meters). A cursor will appear and you super-impose this on the target for a split second before release.

In the Val and other divers, you must approximate this by eye. Or just get ridiculously close to the target.

The Val is a good dog-fighter, so don't be afraid to get your hands dirty to defend yourself, if necessary.

TipsyTed
02-25-2012, 04:19 PM
...keeping good rudder coordination (ball is centered).

This is worth stressing again. While keeping your target in crosshair, you must keep the ball centered when you release bombs, or you will miss your target. Last moment rudder kicks to correct your aim is a big no-no for dive bombing.

Noxx0s
02-29-2012, 03:51 AM
Your question is quite open-ended. Are there any problems you have in particular?

Bombing in the Val is not quite like bombing in a Stuka. For one, you don't have a floor window. You must keep track of the target through the side corner windows, and when ready, you must turn to the target. It helps to make a good mental image of the target and other references so you can be sure it's under you. I approach the target at 3000-4000 meters.

Reduce power, but keep pitch as high as practical. Open the dive brakes and dive down, keeping good rudder coordination (ball is centered).

I like to pull out as high as possible to avoid flak and fighters. This is usually 750-1000 meters. To me, my (virtual) life is more important than that of the target.

Keep the target under the cross-hairs as long as possible. If your dive is not completely vertical, you will need to toss the bombs slightly. Do this by pulling up just a tad before release. The further you are from vertical, the greater this toss will need to be.

Note that in the Ju-87 D-5 this is computed for you. All you have to do is enter drop height (the plane will drop bombs automatically at this height) and speed at the drop point (about 600 kph from 3000 meters). A cursor will appear and you super-impose this on the target for a split second before release.

In the Val and other divers, you must approximate this by eye. Or just get ridiculously close to the target.

The Val is a good dog-fighter, so don't be afraid to get your hands dirty to defend yourself, if necessary.

Ok thanks, I've been just eyeballing it and thought I might be missing out on something, but apparently not. Thanks for the tips.

And is there any way to tell how many degrees I am off from vertical apart from just "guessing"?

Luno13
02-29-2012, 04:02 AM
Not really in the Val. Again, the Stuka, Ju-88, and Bf-109 G-14 have provided lovely markers that you compare to the horizon, but the Japanese apparently wanted to do things the hard way :rolleyes:.

Keep in mind that although dive-bombing is more accurate than level-bombing it never guarantees a hit. If you're within 100 meters of the target you're doing a good job, I think.

I also think that level-bombing in IL-2 is a bit too easy/accurate which makes dive-bombing seem less accurate in relation...if that makes sense.

As with everything, the key is practice. Experience is the best tool you have to land bombs on target.

AndyJWest
02-29-2012, 04:05 AM
is there any way to tell how many degrees I am off from vertical apart from just "guessing"?

Probably not (though I'm no dive-bombing expert). It's evidently a significant issue though, judging from the way the Ju-87 and Ju-88 had dive-angle markings on the ****pit canopy. I suppose you can compare the horizon with the ****pit framing to some extent.