PDA

View Full Version : Paratroopers

XyZspineZyX
11-21-2003, 04:33 PM
Hi, i'm unaware if this has been suggested before. But for future addons or for the BOB game, could the paratroopers of each army have relevant models and animations as opposed to the default pilot skins and animations that are used at the moment? I mean ideally it would be nice if they could fight the way that the ground units do at the moment(with an exremely simplified list of anims and behaviour) but even if once they landed they lay down prone aiming their weapons as if defending the drop zone it would be enough i think. Just thought that it would be an extra level of polish on top of your already great game and it would be good for the people who like creating missions and movies.

XyZspineZyX
11-21-2003, 04:33 PM
Hi, i'm unaware if this has been suggested before. But for future addons or for the BOB game, could the paratroopers of each army have relevant models and animations as opposed to the default pilot skins and animations that are used at the moment? I mean ideally it would be nice if they could fight the way that the ground units do at the moment(with an exremely simplified list of anims and behaviour) but even if once they landed they lay down prone aiming their weapons as if defending the drop zone it would be enough i think. Just thought that it would be an extra level of polish on top of your already great game and it would be good for the people who like creating missions and movies.

XyZspineZyX
11-21-2003, 11:49 PM
It would also be nice if you could have humans as objects and vehicles (in FM) so you could place say in vehicles:
Infantry plutoon, and set waypoints for it...

Maybe it would be too FPS-unfriendly but it would be sweet!

When strafe a target and pull up just a few meters from ground you can clearly see the peaple down there running out of their vehicles...

More humans on the battlefield would make it feel more real I think...

XyZspineZyX
11-21-2003, 11:51 PM
As they are now, paratroop drops will bring ANY co-op scenario to a grinding, slideshow-like halt. I wouldn't advise doing anything that adds more detail (or polys) to them.

XyZspineZyX
11-22-2003, 12:07 AM
On the subject of ground troops...any chance of a little 2 man MMG team?

http://www.nzfpm.co.nz/images/small/airtoair14.jpg

S/Ldr. Ginger
C/O. No.601 (County of London) Squadron
http://www.tangmerepilots-raf.co.uk

XyZspineZyX
11-22-2003, 12:07 AM
and some tank traps, etc, for the objects list.../i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Message Edited on 11/21/0311:10PM by No.601_Ginger

XyZspineZyX
11-22-2003, 01:55 PM
Yeah, at the moment it causes a lot of slow down if used excessively, but so does having lots of AI aircraft in a map too.
That's why I said I'd be happy for now if they did a reskin of the paratroop models and if possible a different set of anims no more complicated than what exists for the normal pilots.

Oleg did mention in the interview that they were working on realtime AI scaling to allow for hundreds of aircraft in the sky at once. If they could use this across the board to include all objects and combine it with say realtime scalable LODs for all models then hopefully we could one day be able to recreate full scale airborne assaults like D-Day or Operation Market Garden in game.