PDA

View Full Version : Is death match too simple?

TH3 F4T C0BRA
02-16-2012, 01:21 AM
I feel death match is too simple. I know a lot of people love it. Not having duplicate NPC's makes it a lot easier and less skillful. It's usually a giant vulch fest. It's not as fun for me.
Am I the only one that thinks this?

LoveTwisted
02-16-2012, 01:26 AM
Good concept, Poor execution

Jack-Reacher
02-16-2012, 01:28 AM
Depends on the lobby.

FilipinoNinja67
02-16-2012, 01:32 AM
Depends on the lobby.
Yes it does... Disguise becomes your best friend.... Dont you guys think its funny when those people pop a disguise and think theyre invisible? I especially love it whenever they hit it right in front of you then squiggle the rest of the way... -_-

rocketxsurgeon
02-16-2012, 01:33 AM
To be honest, if you're used to playing with a compass, it can get a lot of getting used to.
I play mainly assassinate, so it's a lot different to deathmatch.

najzere
02-16-2012, 03:24 AM
No it's not too simple. Like any mode, the strategy gets deeper the better you are at it and the more experienced you are. Except for when the action gets bunched up, I don't see much vulching, especially not like in Assassinate. While it's trivial to find your target sometimes, coming up with the right approach and keeping pursuers in mind is really where you see a huge stratification in player skill levels. Chess can be described as simple, since there are a small number of pieces, their moves are easy to learn and the game is played on a small board—there's plenty of depth if you want it though.

Lyleator
02-16-2012, 04:23 AM
If Deathmatch is too simple, what does that make Simple Deathmatch?

I don't mind Deathmatch as long as there's a fully lobby. Four players just isnt enough for a game, and just devolves into spamming kill and stun around any player

The_Despair_
02-16-2012, 04:33 AM
Simple Detahmatch and Deathmatch are the only two game modes I bother to play. Occasionally I'll play Assassinate. I'll play Wanted infrequently too.

deadly_thought
02-16-2012, 05:31 AM
deathmatch takes no skill? no compass no look alikes nowhere to run and hide no chase breakers no chance of spawning ten miles away from your persuer and getting a free run on your target deathmatch is alot morefun than than any of the other game modes in this game probably the only one worth playing

TH3 F4T C0BRA
02-16-2012, 08:11 AM
deathmatch takes no skill? no compass no look alikes nowhere to run and hide no chase breakers no chance of spawning ten miles away from your persuer and getting a free run on your target deathmatch is alot morefun than than any of the other game modes in this game probably the only one worth playing

To be fair I did say "less skillfull" and not "no skill" I actually enjoy the extra space when the map isn't closed down. Although you have a compass in assassinate and wanted you still have to figure out which target is correct.

So does anybody think it's a popular mode because it's more straightforward then?

deadly_thought
02-16-2012, 08:13 AM
my apologies

najzere
02-16-2012, 08:34 AM
No, I think it's more popular because it's the only mode where the RDM isn't total **** and because Assassinate is too hard for a lot of people. Can't comment on the team modes, don't play 'em.

Poluma
02-16-2012, 09:24 AM
I feel death match is too simple. I know a lot of people love it. Not having duplicate NPC's makes it a lot easier and less skillful. It's usually a giant vulch fest. It's not as fun for me.

i dont think deathmatch is simple at all its more challenging and fun in my opinion then any other mode besides it just my point of view.
the challenge is to evade ur pursuers all the time & if ur target is in the line of sight at the time ur evading ur pursuer then ur target gets to know you are his pursuer so even then u have to evade ur pursuers (i dont mean run run run) and kill your target without ending in contested kill or stun. I feel each contested kill i get when killing my target is a failure.

PANiC_ATTACKER
02-16-2012, 09:53 AM
I always assumed deathmatch is for new players. get them used to the game ,before they graduate to Assassinate!

deadly_thought
02-16-2012, 10:08 AM
I always assumed deathmatch is for new players. get them used to the game ,before they graduate to Assassinate!

youve clearly never played wizaro

AntiChrist7
02-16-2012, 12:35 PM
it takes not as much skill, i agree. but i enjoy it more than wanted, where you die cause your target is on the other side on the map and your persuer is exactly in the middle.

simple deathmatch however is the stupidiest game mode ever

FilipinoNinja67
02-16-2012, 01:00 PM
If anything assassinate takes less skill... Ive seen people roof the whole game and win and ive won a lot of times with my troll class (smoke/gun)... I dont think you have gotten into deathmatch and its pretty obvious that i havent gotten into assassinate. Im sure theres more to both modes other than noobz vulching and noobz sprinting around the whole map whenever they light up red...

PANiC_ATTACKER
02-16-2012, 01:03 PM
never heard of him! but then if hes not graduated to Assassinate yet then I wouldnt have. I assume hes the big dog in Deathmatch?

UrbanSaint
02-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Simple DM and DM are the only 2 modes I can enjoy when I want to play a FFA mode because I feel that they are the only modes where having a RDM makes sense. Occasionally I will play Assassinate but i will rarely play Wanted. I would say that DM is a good introduction gametype for newer players to the series to help them get an understanding of the concept of the game

luckyto
02-16-2012, 03:38 PM
No it's not too simple. Like any mode, the strategy gets deeper the better you are at it and the more experienced you are. Except for when the action gets bunched up, I don't see much vulching, especially not like in Assassinate. While it's trivial to find your target sometimes, coming up with the right approach and keeping pursuers in mind is really where you see a huge stratification in player skill levels. Chess can be described as simple, since there are a small number of pieces, their moves are easy to learn and the game is played on a small board—there's plenty of depth if you want it though.

^This.

My experience is that this mode usually (depends on lobby) ends up being more stealthy than any of the other modes. There's less roofing and baiting - usually. And the kills are generally higher scoring kills. Like any mode, the lobby and map does affect the match... but you have to adapt.

It is a chess match. As najzere said, you may identify your pursuer and your target easily with no duplicates, but when to kill and when to defend, when to expose yourself and so on play a huge factor. You have to be a lot more careful about your approach, because most players see you coming unless you plan your approach well.

Though, I admit, as a n00b, it was the best mode for me to pick up skills in - because of the lack of duplicates and the smaller map. So in some ways, it is easier. But winning it consistently is very very difficult, especially against good players.

deadly_thought
02-16-2012, 05:31 PM
never heard of him! but then if hes not graduated to Assassinate yet then I wouldnt have. I assume hes the big dog in Deathmatch?

he posted above you thats why i said it more for him than you and assassinate has the word in *** in it twice for a reason

deadshot_7
02-16-2012, 05:37 PM
I feel death match is too simple. I know a lot of people love it. Not having duplicate NPC's makes it a lot easier and less skillful. It's usually a giant vulch fest. It's not as fun for me.Am I the only one that thinks this?I dont think so, but depends on the lobby. if its a lobby of people running around or on the roof then its easy to spot your target/persuer but in a lobby with good players its one of the most skilled game modes imo. 80% of the time I play DM im in first so I usually have 2-3 persuers, along with a target I have to find, I dont have the whole map to go around only a small area, trying to find my target with no compass while trying to evade 2-3 persuers, constantly glancing at the pic and 1 wrong move or stun gets me spotted. Im not a runner, im a stealthy player and im aggressive, so I dont wait for my persuers to come to me, I go after the kill regardless of the amount of persuers. Just my opinion for my play style, I use to play Assassinate but the RDM and roofers killed it for me.

Poluma
02-16-2012, 06:16 PM
lolz :rolleyes:

i do play assassinate but very less in comparison to deathmatch and nope i m not gud in deathmatch im just okaish players there are many others far better than me.

i guess with all this jive talkin u the boss of assassinate?

DeanOMiite
02-16-2012, 06:52 PM
I see where you're coming from OP but personally I love deathmatch and as others have said, once you get really accustomed to how it works it becomes a relatively (for lack of a better term) deep gamemode with lots of strategies. Because the maps are so small, your pursuer is ALWAYS right around the corner so the trick isn't just killing your target, it's killing then and getting out alive. I find that you need to use abilities more in deathmatch than in Wanted for example but that's fun for me, I like using abilities.

One thing I will say is that you basically HAVE to be using either blender, disguise, morph, decoy, bodyguard, etc, ANYTHING that makes it so you're not the only persona that looks like you on the map. That's why I always use blender, personally. When I get put in those random lobbies where everybody is less than lvl 15 it's not very fun because you know that when you see your target's persona, it's definitely your target and not a duplicate.

FilipinoNinja67
02-16-2012, 07:22 PM

Assassinate is more of a downgrade... Ive played against wizaro twice, and i never want to do it again *shivers* i actually dont think ive played wizaro, i just thought that was a suitable post because ive heard of him... Never heard of this real loki before. But then if hes not graduated to Deathmatch yet then I wouldnt have.... (See what i did there?)

Squiiddish
02-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Assassinate is for people too scrub to worry about pursuers, you treat every other player the same way.

Deathmatch is for people too scrub to identify players and pursuers, there's no copies and they can't really hide.

Shut up with this stupid argument, both your modes you argue about are the lowest skill ones. Play something that requires real planning and situational awareness like Wanted, or excellent teamplay like Chest Capture. Or Manhunt if you want Chest Capture with training wheels.

/trololo on

pantherthug89
02-17-2012, 12:09 AM
@Squiddish orrrrrrr you just can't handle a game mode that most of the good people actually play..... :p just kidding

anyway each game mode has its own qualities and core skills that make it unique, if it be free-running, being stealthy, or working as a team at least the game has a bit of variety, and if you dont like the way a game mode works go ahead and try a different one, you aren't forced to play deathmatch so stop complaining about it.

Stopthemadness87
02-17-2012, 12:18 AM
I usually only play deathmatch when the lobby I'm in votes for it and I dont feel like finding a new one. Its ok to play a few sessions of it every now and then, but to me, it gets boring pretty fast. I can see why its a popular mode, but wanted and assassinate is where its at for me..

FilipinoNinja67
02-17-2012, 02:33 PM
@Squiddish orrrrrrr you just can't handle a game mode that most of the good people actually play..... :p just kidding

anyway each game mode has its own qualities and core skills that make it unique, if it be free-running, being stealthy, or working as a team at least the game has a bit of variety, and if you dont like the way a game mode works go ahead and try a different one, you aren't forced to play deathmatch so stop complaining about it.
I agree, except deathmatch is better.

Poluma
02-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Deathmatch is better.

i love this guy :p

Grygier
02-17-2012, 07:23 PM

seriously? that's not the reason why people enjoy the mode... it's more isolated! there are limited reasons to run and roof most runners/roofers in the mode are just trolling... and even when they are it's simple to deal with if you remain patient... allowing you to get that incognito + drop kill.

you can put more effort into your kills in wanted people move to much so you have to do with what you got so most kills turn out to be discreet.

no compass! you can use the environment more to your advantage... when there are lots of npcs there is a "where is waldo" effect.

more mind games and deception tactics apply in death match, i will lurk around my target quite a bit making my target loss suspicion of me being her pursuer.. then i will strike! happens to me as well, they are usually some of the best players i encounter.

i actually would of liked if they added duplicate npcs to death match it's not that difficult to spot your target even in a fully morphed group there are quite a few tricks for moving and static groups... it will also slow people down more and be a little less reckless...

najzere
02-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Let's all just stop conflating simplicity with less skill required. Very simple activities and concepts can require great skill to master and innovate. If you don't like the mode, then don't play it. If you like it, you'll uncover the depth. Like most things in life, you get out of it what you put in.

Chronomancy
02-18-2012, 03:06 AM
Depends on the lobby really...

Get a few decent players together and I can guarentee it wouldn't be easy/simple.

deadly_thought
02-18-2012, 04:14 AM
Depends on the lobby really...

Get a few decent players together and I can guarentee it wouldn't be easy/simple.

it sure hasnt been easy for me lately ive been making friends with good players and i gotta say its getting to be a challenge beating them at least im down to only one person now on my friends list that i havnt yet beaten what people dont realise is that deathmatch is probably to most tactical FFA game a strategy wont cut it against good players you need to have an in depth system of tactics for each ability set you plan on using something im just starting now toget a real grip on trust me its simple unless youre playing ali baba and his forty noobs

Chronomancy
02-18-2012, 05:22 AM
Didn't really understand what you were saying there at all.

deadly_thought
02-18-2012, 05:46 AM
reading it myself now i can see why lol what im saying is you really need to have a wide range of tactics for each ability set and have a wide range of ability sets to suit each particular map as well as the ability to adapt those tactics/ability sets to each lobby (we need more ability sets btw) while remembering that overall strategies are dependent on those tactics wich vary from lobby to lobby with player quality and often change rapidly as players swap ability sets and tactics of their own

for example a simple osb poison strategy while using tactics that incorporate blend groups for hidden kills/lure/stuns works well on a less experienced lobby until some experienced players join and you find yourself needing to stun more often to maintain the lead wich is actually a more difficult task as blender is less effective and naked stuns are hared to come by meaning you may need to switch out to smoke/disguise to compliment kills and stuns instead of just outscoring the lobby you need to deny them scores more often (a switch in strategy making your previous strategy useless wich is why i say its more dependent on tactical gameplay than overall strategy)

the size of the maps is the biggest factor you rarely get a chance to scout someone out for long enough to realise theyve switched to mute disguise from smoke poison until they hit you with it (you need to be proactive with your tactical shift relying on the overall strategy cant prevent you from doing this) X2 is constantly in effect so the leader board is constantly shifting between 2 -4 top scoring players making it difficult to maintain the lead so your tactics with ability sets have to compliment your scoring strategy in a greater way than in say WANTED where scores are generally smaller and its easier to control the game from first place

edit: its also not unheard of for someone to jump 3000pts and move from 5th to first this can happen several times in one game completely reshuffling the order of things wich is why i like DM you never know whats gunna happen next its awesome

Chronomancy
02-18-2012, 05:48 AM
I just have two ability sets smoke/mute and OSB I just choose depending on my mood. :D

deadly_thought
02-18-2012, 05:56 AM
i have 3 depending on the lobby noobs is straight up osb poison better lobbies get a bit of everything

Moi-dix-Mois43
02-18-2012, 07:48 AM
To be honest, if you're used to playing with a compass, it can get a lot of getting used to.
I play mainly assassinate, so it's a lot different to deathmatch.

I just have to say, you have a beautiful siggy and avatar :3