PDA

View Full Version : Ordnance questions

redmanekadrin
02-11-2012, 07:40 AM
There are a couple of weapons in the game that I'm unsure which target they should be used for, some help would be appreciated. I've looked them up and know what they were used for in reality, but after a couple of tests in-game I see they either: didn't quite match the description of the weapon I found or their effect doesn't seem to be all that different or even as effective from similar weapons (such as just a conventional bomb or rocket). So keeping in mind that I'd like to know about their use in-game only, what are these weapons used against and are they better than weapons in their category:

ROFS-132 - A fragmentation version of the RS-132 HE rocket, seems exactly the same?
AO-10 - Bomblets that have trouble taking out trucks?
M-13 - Supposedly an improved larger RS-132, seems to explode in an incendiary fashion and cause less damage?
Parafrags - Not really sure what these should be used for other than unarmed convoys and lined up planes.
VAP-250 - Not really sure what this is used for, looks pretty though.
AB-500 - Not really sure what this is used for other than clumped unarmoured vehicles.
AB-1000 - Takes out anything on the ground, what's its best use?
PC-1800 - Big anti-armor bomb (armor piercing?), useful vs ships only?
Napalm - Very pretty, but what should it be used against?
SD-500 - Semi-armor piercing? Fragmentation? Got conflicting descriptions of this.
PTAB - Kills any tank with ease, but only useful when they're in armoured columns?

Any help with these is much appreciated.

DKoor
02-11-2012, 11:24 AM
I'm much interested in this myself too.
PC1600 I had much success with those dropped it to enemy airfield and it took a lot of soft targets out, not sure that SC1800 would do such damage.
Weird... on the other occasions it proved relatively weak compared to other such big bombs.

Also are their some flyable airborne cannons that can destroy any tank in game? Bk 3,7 maybe?

Some useful info:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o125/DKoor/il2/il2_blast_radius.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o125/DKoor/il2/ju87_dive.gif

TipsyTed
02-11-2012, 12:19 PM
VAP-250 - highly effective versus armoured columns. Fly slow at about 50 meters aligned to the column - and you'll smell lots of "roasted extra crispy" there. Experiment with flight parameters during attack to find what suits you best.

Yeah, PTABs are much more useful against a column than anything else, but they really do excell at it. They can easily crack open a two digit number of any tank in game.

AO-10 10kg bombs should do nice damage to a column of unarmoured vehicles and artillery - again, fly low and relatively slow above them so that multiple bombs hit the same target. Enables you to do a lot more damage in a single pass than with guns (which is, of course, of a life and death importance wherever there's plenty of aaa around).

M-13 is basically a Katyusha rocket. It appears it's in the game more due to historical reasons, since I believe it should be used mainly against infantry. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

ROFS-132 should have a bigger damage radius versus soft targets than RS-132. Haven't thoroughly tested this though.

AB-500 is an extremely effective anti-tank cluster bomb. It's very tough to use tho. I've once taken out 15 T-34s with a single AB-500 (and posted a track at these forums). Consider that AB-250 and AB-1000 carry different bomblets and are intended to be used versus soft targets.

Also are their some flyable airborne cannons that can destroy any tank in game? Bk 3,7 maybe?

You oughta try the Hs 129 B-3 with 75 mm antitank cannon :).

DKoor
02-11-2012, 01:04 PM
AB-500 is an extremely effective anti-tank cluster bomb. It's very tough to use tho. I've once taken out 15 T-34s with a single AB-500 (and posted a track at these forums). Consider that AB-250 and AB-1000 carry different bomblets and are intended to be used versus soft targets. :).:eek::eek::eek:

thefruitbat
02-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Need to keep in mind, that this stuff has been reworked in 4.11.......

DKoor
02-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Not sure mate are there any concrete differences? Some example?
I just returned to game - ground pounding been a while since I lurked around in IL-2 and alike :cool:...

thefruitbat
02-11-2012, 04:13 PM
from the 4.11 readme,

Reworked bomb damage
Bomb damage has been remodelled according to blast pressure strength and splinter density.
Furthermore buildings have been made more resistant to damage. There have also been some
smaller tunings. You will notice the following:
• reduced differences between bombs of similar size and type
• significant reduction in damage effect with increasing distance
• less damage against buildings
• more near miss damage against ships
• more effective torpedoes
• bombs under water are more effective against ships.

Please also note that the huge damage radius of a few bombs is no longer there.
Control

few threads about it over at 1C as well.

think the DM of tanks is still porked though!

good to see you around mate:cool:

DKoor
02-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Awww that's why I blast my arse off dropping SD500 from 250m on some poor destroyer (hit him and riddled myself too).:o