PDA

View Full Version : ACR Background music

Mr Gannicuss
01-31-2012, 06:45 PM
ACR is fantastic, but I can not ignore the sleepy, boring music in the background. In both multiplayer and single. ACB had fantastic music... wish there is an option to bring this back.

Does anyone else feel the same?

and please save your time if you intent to reply "mute the sound"!

Nader-Abudiix
01-31-2012, 06:59 PM
i thought that the background music was incredible especially a song called Istanbul. Jesper Kyd Never disappoints

Mr Gannicuss
01-31-2012, 07:09 PM
I agree with you that Jesper Kyd is very good. I even like the soundtrack cd, but the very limited music in game play and multiplayer spa like music loop is what is getting on my nerves.

kenshijr
01-31-2012, 07:47 PM
ACR is fantastic, but I can not ignore the sleepy, boring music in the background. In both multiplayer and single. ACB had fantastic music... wish there is an option to bring this back.

Does anyone else feel the same?

and please save your time if you intent to reply "mute the sound"!

i definitely agree

Will_Lucky
01-31-2012, 09:02 PM
I agree with you that Jesper Kyd is very good. I even like the soundtrack cd, but the very limited music in game play and multiplayer spa like music loop is what is getting on my nerves.

Limited? Theres 3 times as much music in Revelations as there was in Brotherhood. I own both soundtracks and personally thought Revelations was the best overall soundtrack in the series.

burtie80
01-31-2012, 09:52 PM
Every AC game has had fantastic music,, I have loved them all. I agree though that sometimes it can get on your nerves, I remember in one of the eariler sequences I was exploring the city, and as it was early on the game I was trying to discover as much as posible, anyway the same music was playing constantly and it drove me nuts lolz
Am I right in thinking the music changes from sequence to sequence?
Still its fantastic music :)

kalo.yanis
01-31-2012, 10:31 PM
Revelation's soundtrack is miles ahead of Brotherhood's. It also fits the mood of the setting and story really nicely.

ACB's lacked... a certain elegance that was in that of AC2 (and is back in ACR). True - Rome should be triumphant and all, but I've grown to hate City of Rome, whereas I can listen to Welcome to Konstantiniyye or Byzantium for hours (I even hum along sometimes :p ). This is all just my opinion, of course.

Am I right in thinking the music changes from sequence to sequence?
Yep - as opposed to the 3 songs that played in Rome whenever you were in a different district throughout the game. Echoes of the Roman Ruins was my favourite one there.

Toxotes47
01-31-2012, 10:54 PM
Mate ACR's OST is far far better than ACB, atleast according to me.

i thought that the background music was incredible especially a song called Istanbul. Jesper Kyd Never disappoints

True, Istanbul is a very beautiful track and especially the latter part of it. I loved it when it played in embers as well.

Mr Gannicuss
01-31-2012, 10:58 PM
What about the sound when synchronising the map? you also think its better in ACR?

For me there was (AC2 and ACB) a feel of this epic time and mysteriousness of discovering a new area - but i am sure taste differs

I always felt more hyped before the multiplayer in ACB with the drums and "war" track , but in ACR I actually mute it till game play otherwise I will snooze :)

Sizzlemon
01-31-2012, 11:07 PM
Jesper Kyd is a master composer, I have every single one of his AC OST's not because it's AC Music, but because whatever he composes, it's amazing! The music in the ACR OST is nothing less that I'd expect from him. That's just me but I'm sure there'll be a few people that agree with me.

twenty_glyphs
01-31-2012, 11:30 PM
Revelations has a great soundtrack, especially the pieces written by Jesper Kyd. The problem is with the way the music is used in the game. In AC2 each map had its own piece of music that was about 5 minutes long and repeated in a loop. I think Venice even had 2 tracks that alternated. This system was good and gave enough variety in music, especially when you traveled between the maps relatively frequently. I also think the music supported this, with pieces that were quite varied, so they didn't get old with repetition if you stayed in the same city for a while. For example, "Home in Florence" was the track that played in Florence, and it starts off with an electronic-sounding motif and then moves through at least 2 more major musical themes, changing to strings and then adding some vocals. So even though it repeats every 5 minutes, the music is varied enough that I never got tired of it.

Then Brotherhood had a good system that fit its game design. Since Rome was the only free-roam map, they had 4 different tracks that played as you moved between different parts of the city. I thought that was perfect for avoiding too much musical repetition. The only mistake was the track they used for the western part of the map across the Tiber River was way too intense and foreboding for my tastes. The other free-roam music stayed in the background and was beautiful, but the music in that part of the map creates too much suspense for me and feels like it belongs in an intense story mission instead of free-roam.

With Revelations it seems they tried something different by having different city music tracks that played in different story sequences. I applaud them for trying something different, but the execution was bad and I'm not even sure I would have liked it had the execution been better. All of the 4 major city tracks that play are awesome when listened to on their own, but none of them have the same kind of variation that "Home in Florence" has. Also, they are all right around 3.5 minutes long instead of the 4.5 minutes of "Home in Florence", which makes the repetition get old even faster. As a result, I get very tired of listening to the same track play over and over without something else in between. "Istanbul" is a beautiful piece, but it gets boring when it repeats constantly. On top of that, somewhere along the line they neglected to choose a track to play in Constantinople after the story was complete, so the game plays no music after the story. I still can't believe they never caught that in testing and still haven't patched it. The music by Lorne Balfe was good, but the difference between his music and Kyd's is very jarring when put together in the game. I would prefer that Jesper Kyd compose all of the music for AC3 to prevent that jarring experience. The way the soundtrack is used in Revelations is one of my biggest gripes about the game. It seems like a minor thing, but the mood created by the entire music package in AC2 and Brotherhood was a big part of the experience, and Revelations fell flat in that area.

I hope AC3 gets the music right again. The main ingredient it needs is to copy the AC2 formula of having multiple city maps with unique tracks in each. If a map has one song that loops, that should be taken into consideration when writing it so the track is closer to 5 minutes in length with a good amount of musical variety. Bigger city maps should have 2 or more repeating tracks that can break up the monotony of the looping music.

Mr Gannicuss
02-01-2012, 12:39 PM
I hope AC3 gets the music right again. The main ingredient it needs is to copy the AC2 formula of having multiple city maps with unique tracks in each. If a map has one song that loops, that should be taken into consideration when writing it so the track is closer to 5 minutes in length with a good amount of musical variety. Bigger city maps should have 2 or more repeating tracks that can break up the monotony of the looping music.

twenty_glyphs
You really nailed that one, I agree 100%

matheus_737
02-01-2012, 01:20 PM
ACR has the best sondtrack in the series come on, the sounds of altair and darim are not good for example ???????

SixKeys
02-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Then Brotherhood had a good system that fit its game design. Since Rome was the only free-roam map, they had 4 different tracks that played as you moved between different parts of the city. I thought that was perfect for avoiding too much musical repetition. The only mistake was the track they used for the western part of the map across the Tiber River was way too intense and foreboding for my tastes. The other free-roam music stayed in the background and was beautiful, but the music in that part of the map creates too much suspense for me and feels like it belongs in an intense story mission instead of free-roam.

I agree with almost everything you said (although I think Lorne Balfe's and Jesper Kyd's musical styles were mixed together rather seamlessly). About this piece of music you mentioned, I actually like the track a lot. It creates a great atmosphere when you first enter that part of the city and see how poor and derelict it is. It's the first area in the game where you really feel the impact that the Borgia's rule has on the people and the sense of hostility and oppression. The only problem is that it's one of the only areas in the game where the music doesn't change into the more upbeat "City of Rome" once you've restored the area. Every time you enter that part of the city, you still get the same depressing atmosphere even when the people are supposed to be liberated.