PDA

View Full Version : Cable dead after playing twice????

Zaphodbeebs
01-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Hello,
Wondering if anyone has tips or what I need to do to have this addressed. I bought Rocksmith for my PS3 about a week ago. I got home, plugged the cable in to my PS3 and my Strat and loved what I saw, it worked great. I played a few more times over that week with no issues.

Friday I unplugged my cable and took the cable and disk to a friend's house. We connected his guitar, loaded the game and ... nothing. No sounds detected from the guitar. He has 5 guitars ... Strat, Ibanez, Gibson and 2 others I forget the names of. We tried all 5, we turned up their volumes, we used all pickup settings, we maxed out the tome knobs ... not one note was heard.

Returning home, I plugged my strat back in and to my expectations ... nothing. I've since even gone so far as to connect it to my PC (Linux) and configure it as an input through JACK. The USB device shows up, it's identified correctly, the volume meters show a minimal background noise but nothing is being picked up from the guitar. I know the config for jack is right because I plug in my PS3 Mic and configure it the same way and all is well.

I've done enough detailed troubleshooting to be 99.9% certain it's an issue with the cable/adapter. The guitars all work with other amps (including my amplitube iRig/iPad setup) ... the PS3 is working fine.

Any ideas? Anyone know what I have to do to have the cable replaced? I'm assuming Ubi will make it right.

Sean

DavidLochhead
01-23-2012, 11:25 PM
Have you tried unplugging and plugging in the breakaway connector in the middle of the cable? This cable is also very cheaply made so use a USB estension and a 1/4 female coupler (or a pedal that is turned off) to keep the cable from being handled at all.

Zaphodbeebs
01-23-2012, 11:35 PM
Yep, I've tried reseating all connections, including the break away several times ... I'm positive the cable's dead. Thank you for the suggestion, though!

Zaphodbeebs
01-23-2012, 11:36 PM
Oh, and there are no pedals, no extensions and no couplers involved, it's straight guitar -> cable -> PS3

RocqueFloyd
01-23-2012, 11:42 PM
Sounds like you bent the cable too much on the guitar side plug. That's a fairly common way to destroy a good cable.
Cut off the old plug and solder on a new plug. Your local guitar shoppe can probably do this for you cheaply, if you
don't have a solder iron.

Zaphodbeebs
01-23-2012, 11:58 PM
Wow, pretty bold to assume I ruin my equipment, thanks. I'm a 39 yr old adult who knows how to take care of my equipment. I absolutely did not bend the joint of the guitar plug and cable.

scaramouche_b
01-24-2012, 12:22 AM
I bought Rocksmith and an extra cable for multiplayer. I have had my third cable fail on me in exactly the same way you describe. I have RMA'd the first two (Amazon.com and Best Buy), and have got my fingers crossed for cable three (back to Best Buy). Based on the advice given in prior threads, I treat the cables "like gl****" and never bend them--doesn't matter, they still failed. The original one from the game hasn't failed (yet!). My platform is Xbox. I use the RockBand Squier and a Telecaster, and used the cables interchangeably. I love the game (my playing has gone through the roof since I purchased) but the cables have a very high fail rate.

Zaphodbeebs
01-24-2012, 12:33 AM
Thanks Scaramouche_b ... I've been reading more and it does seem like a high fail rate. Seems like a bad product (cable specifically, not the game) to be so fragile. I've contacted Ubi ... I don't have the original packaging so I don't think I can return it to Walmart. Last thing I want to do is pay another $30 for a second cable that'll break next week.

RocqueFloyd
01-24-2012, 01:08 AM
That's not a bold assumption. If your cable still shows up as USB on your PC, and you can hear faint noises, then that's the most straight forward explanation. Especially playing sitting down, it's not so easy to keep the plug/cable unbent, and in the state of playing one often doesn't notice it bending. That's why I prefer for my guitar cables angled plugs.

DavidLochhead
01-24-2012, 01:42 AM
My comment said you should use a pedal or coupler with the RS cable. Use the USB extension and pedal so you can leave the cable in a coil on the floor. That never moves. Or do what I did and rip the guts out of an RS cable on the USB end and put it into a cheap pedal and just plug a USB printer cable in one end and a guitar cable in the other. The supplied cables are cheap junk !!

mben1978
01-24-2012, 03:32 PM
Hi, i can hear my guitar from the speakers and i can get past the volume bit on sound check, but when tuning in i pick the low e string and hear it and no its in tune but the game doesnt pick it up. could this be the cable? havent even been able to play the game yet as cant get past sound check any ideas?

smooth52
01-24-2012, 04:28 PM
My comment said you should use a pedal or coupler with the RS cable. Use the USB extension and pedal so you can leave the cable in a coil on the floor. That never moves. Or do what I did and rip the guts out of an RS cable on the USB end and put it into a cheap pedal and just plug a USB printer cable in one end and a guitar cable in the other. The supplied cables are cheap junk !!
Would love to see a pic.

jvdput
02-09-2012, 10:10 PM
You're not the only one. Apparently the real tone cable is bad quality. I've played Rocksmith for one hour and then the cable stopped working. I've tested the cable with audacity on my laptop. There is a very faint signal coming through.. The cable is as good as dead.

This is really pissing me off.

Any help?

Steel_Nirvana
02-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Mine only gave up the ghost after I dropped my guitar and bent the connector about 80%. Even then, it worked fine for two days before it quit. ;)

fatherrock
02-09-2012, 10:55 PM
If the cable is new, return the game + box and cable to store for a swap.
if that is not do-able, check the support info from ubisoft for instructions on how to swap
out a bad cable.

Lets say you had the cable for a long time...and I know you didn't.
If you could guess where the kink/break was you could try to cut it at that point and
install a new 1/4'' plug...then use an extension from there.

Good luck

Rock On !

JeanMatsunaga
02-09-2012, 11:47 PM
So afterall, what's the recommendation to keep the cable good for playing? I'm about to get this game and after reading this i'm starting to get worried about get the game and the cable just die. What are those extensors for? Can someone post a picture of them? I'll buy it before playing the game.

Steel_Nirvana
02-09-2012, 11:58 PM
I really wouldn't worry about the cable. I seriously doubt a large percentage are actually bad. Like I said, I bent my connector about 80 degrees and it worked for a couple of days, still. Just treat it like you would any other electronic cable, and be nice to it and coil it up neatly when you're done playing, and you'll most likely be fine.

FragDaddy34
02-10-2012, 07:32 AM
Mine worked partially for a week, and then died totally. Called Ubi and they told me to take it back to the vendor who was Wal-Mart. Didn't have the receipt, but they still gave me a new cable, and so far, so good.

KinchBlade
02-10-2012, 11:28 AM

I think there is great advice on this thread.
I'm going to get some right-angled extension lead and leave the delicate RS cable under minimal strain in a loop beside the PS3. I have two RS leads which I really don't want to have to RMA back to Canada from Dublin - ebay here I come :-)

KinchBlade
02-10-2012, 11:44 AM

Copuld you expand on this a little more if you have time?

Mr_Shade
02-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Guys,

Those of you with faulty cables, should contact the retailer - assuming you have proof of purchase,

Most will replace them for you, as long as youre still in the warranty period offered by the store - even if you don't have the box, it's worth contacting them to ask.

Make sure to ring ahead to save a wasted journey

KinchBlade
02-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Guys,

Those of you with faulty cables, should contact the retailer - assuming you have proof of purchase,

Most will replace them for you, as long as youre still in the warranty period offered by the store - even if you don't have the box, it's worth contacting them to ask.

Make sure to ring ahead to save a wasted journey

Maybe it would be wise of Ubisoft to include a simple 1/4" female to female cable joiner with the lead so that customer can use their own lead (if they have one) at the guitar side. Might save a lot of customer returns since I imagine(!) most damage is stress-related. (lol) It also give the customer the option of a longer lead whcih some people prefer.

Marauder359
02-10-2012, 03:14 PM
But then they couldn't pretend that you can't extend the cord...

rcole_sooner
02-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Any cheap pedal should work, to allow one to attach another cable between their guitar and the RS cable. Most in bypass mode, won't even need a battery.

I would suggest and inline tuner pedal, but they will cost a little more than a cheap pedal.

Then, of course, you will need another cable, to go from the pedal, to your guitar.

Steel_Nirvana
02-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Really? We're complaining now because an UbiSoft rep doesn't drive out to each of our homes to customize a cable set for us, depending on where we want to stand and how much we want to move around while we play? :rolleyes:

Adapters for extensions are cheap, if for some strange reason the existing cable isn't long enough. Jiminy.

KinchBlade
02-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Really? We're complaining now because an UbiSoft rep doesn't drive out to each of our homes to customize a cable set for us, depending on where we want to stand and how much we want to move around while we play? :rolleyes:

Adapters for extensions are cheap, if for some strange reason the existing cable isn't long enough. Jiminy.

Hah, what we're talking about are ways to minimise the physical strain on the RS cable, which after all, id the critical component since it also acts as s/w ****le. No whining here pal :) Edit: Hah - the consored word is d o n g l e

jackal131
02-10-2012, 04:18 PM
My cable isn't working anymore on the PS3 also, But it works on the PC just fine. Thought it was the new PS3 firmware, but i'm not sure when I read this thread

Marauder359
02-10-2012, 04:29 PM

Yes, word for word, that's exactly what each and every person in this thread has demanded.

jvdput
02-11-2012, 12:02 AM
In an earlier post I mentioned that my cable was dead after playing 1 hour. Well, I figured that if I cut off all the cables and replace them new usb cable and a new guitar jack it might work again. (see photo) .Unfortunately there's still only a faint signal coming through when I test the cable on my pc with audacity. Exactly as before the cable is recognized as the Rocksmith audio cable but exactly as before there is a very faint signal coming through. Not enough for Rocksmith to recognize it when I plug the cable in my PS3. I can draw only one conclusion: The cables are not broken but the A/D connector is not functioning!!! That's the one piece I cannot replace :( :( :(:( :( :( :( :(

Shortened cable:

http://www.box.com/s/p7o7dlt4d2ya3aliq9kg

For all of you who want to use your own cable, use a coupler to plug in your own cable. And if necessary cut the original cable and solder a new 1/4 jack to the shortened cable. plug that one in the coupler. (all on your own risk off course, I will take no responsibility for not functioning cables!)

With coupler:

http://www.box.com/s/orlj5ighzpxxq8v47pqs

Steel_Nirvana
02-11-2012, 12:10 AM
Yes, word for word, that's exactly what each and every person in this thread has demanded.

Good, we can finally agree on something. :cool:

Steel_Nirvana
02-11-2012, 12:13 AM
Hah, what we're talking about are ways to minimise the physical strain on the RS cable, which after all, id the critical component since it also acts as s/w ****le. No whining here pal :) Edit: Hah - the consored word is d o n g l e

I know. ;) I just thought it was a little much to ask them to include adapters to cover individual installations. It's not like they're expensive.

Personally, I like the suggestion of getting a tuner pedal...but they are a bit pricey. One day, though, I'll talk myself into one. :D

jvdput
02-11-2012, 12:55 AM
I know. ;) I just thought it was a little much to ask them to include adapters to cover individual installations. It's not like they're expensive.

Personally, I like the suggestion of getting a tuner pedal...but they are a bit pricey. One day, though, I'll talk myself into one. :D

Ubi shold have made a short cable with USB to A/D converter to female jack connector. Then everybody can use their own cable. In my case though it was the A/D converter which was the problem. I tested it by cutting all the cables off and replacing them with new ones.. See photos:

http://www.box.com/s/p7o7dlt4d2ya3aliq9kg

http://www.box.com/s/orlj5ighzpxxq8v47pqs

Steel_Nirvana
02-11-2012, 12:58 AM
They couldn't do that, because some people bought a bundle that included a guitar, and they'd have no way to play. It would've been fine with me if the system allowed me to use my own cord--it's much higher quality--but I think the vision was to have an "everything in one box" version. Plus, from a design standpoint, the more hardware you can standardize, the easier things are....;)

KinchBlade
02-11-2012, 05:19 AM

I assure you I was thinking simply of Ubisoft (what can I tell you, I'm a giver) . If was running Ubisoft and it thought a 10c connector add-in would save me multiple cable RMAs then I'd ship it.
It was a passing thought, not a request. Your mileage may vary.

ksj1
02-11-2012, 06:01 AM
I've got a wireless setup for my guitars and plug the RS cable into that. It never moves but I can go all over the house and play.

RingoStar23
10-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Hello,
Wondering if anyone has tips or what I need to do to have this addressed. I bought Rocksmith for my PS3 about a week ago. I got home, plugged the cable in to my PS3 and my Strat and loved what I saw, it worked great. I played a few more times over that week with no issues.

Friday I unplugged my cable and took the cable and disk to a friend's house. We connected his guitar, loaded the game and ... nothing. No sounds detected from the guitar. He has 5 guitars ... Strat, Ibanez, Gibson and 2 others I forget the names of. We tried all 5, we turned up their volumes, we used all pickup settings, we maxed out the tome knobs ... not one note was heard.

Returning home, I plugged my strat back in and to my expectations ... nothing. I've since even gone so far as to connect it to my PC (Linux) and configure it as an input through JACK. The USB device shows up, it's identified correctly, the volume meters show a minimal background noise but nothing is being picked up from the guitar. I know the config for jack is right because I plug in my PS3 Mic and configure it the same way and all is well.

I've done enough detailed troubleshooting to be 99.9% certain it's an issue with the cable/adapter. The guitars all work with other amps (including my amplitube iRig/iPad setup) ... the PS3 is working fine.

Any ideas? Anyone know what I have to do to have the cable replaced? I'm assuming Ubi will make it right.

Sean

For problems getting the Rocksmith cable to be recognized on PC, and when the cable is only recognized intermittently, try this and tell me if it works. I figure that the Rocksmith Real Tone cable needs extra juice (electric power) in order to be able to run properly. Try plugging it into a powered USB port hub instead of plugging it directly into the computer. A powered USB port hub is a USB hub that has a wall-wart (transformer) that plugs into the wall for extra power. Hey, it works with external hard drives and external DVD drives that need more power! Maybe it will work for this. Anyway having that extra boost of power couldn't hurt. Let me know what you find. Thanks.
P.S. I am going to post this in several spots (in this forum) where people are talking about RS cables not being recognized. Thanks again!