PDA

View Full Version : @Ubisoft, please implement a difficulty setting in the next Assassin's Creed.

Conniving_Eagle
01-23-2012, 07:09 AM
Do you think Assassin's Creed should have a Master/Mentor difficulty setting?

I think it is very apparant that this community is divided between casual gamers/fans and hardcore gamers/fans. After playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations, I can say that it is a joke how easy the game has become. It's been getting easier ever since Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. One time when playing Brotherhood, I left to go to the Gym and I forgot to pause the game while in the middle of a fight with some Borgia. Upon returning about 90 minutes later, I was in the very same fight and I didn't die yet. It's not just combat though, it was always very easy for Ezio to become really overpowered and the AI of enemies is laughable. Lots of games have difficulty settings, why can't Assassin's Creed?That being said, I would greatly appreciate it if the next installation had the regular difficulty, and then a Master or Mentor(just name suggestions) for people who want the game to be [more?] of a challenge.

I have thought over some of the gameplay changes that the 'Master' difficulty should have

.Decreased counter times: The window of time allowing you to perform a counter kill should be decreased significantly, or atleast brought back to the time window that you were given in the first Assassin's Creed.

Decreased benefits from equipment: The benefits you get from armour would need to be reduced.Maximum Health and equipment space decreased: This ties together with ^^^. The maximum amount of Health squares you should be able to have should be 10(or lower). Furthermore, the equipment you should be able to carry needs to be lowered as well; less throwing knives, crossbow bolts, etc. Specifically, I think the maximum number of poison vials and medicine bottles you can carry should be capped at 5, the default being even lower than that. Afterall, you're an Assassin and a human being, not a One Man Army.

Optional: Increased line of sight for enemies.

Increase in enemie's damage and AI: All enemies should be able to Taunt, Block, Dodge, Counter, Parry, Combo, just like the Templar Knights could in Assassin's Creed. However, there should be a % of each of these moves occuring based on the enemie's archetype. Also, enemies should be able to perform defense-breaks this is to counter if the player is constantly holding the 'Block' button. A good standard is enemies will attempt to perform a defense-break on the player followed by an attack if he holds the 'Block' button for more than 3-4 seconds. Enemies also need to be more aggresive and they should do more damage, especially Archers. In Brotherhood, I think an arrow did only 1.25 healthsquares of damage if you had the right armour. In Revelations if a Templar Assassin caught you and you didn't counter his attack he would stab you in the back and you would be perfectly fine, well you'd lose about half your health but that's besides the point.

Increase the detection rate: Enemies should be able to detect you faster and they shouldn't forget that there is a master assassin lurking about after 15 seconds of half-hearted searching.

Increase Guards' health and reduce the regeneration of your own. Guards' health should be brought back to what it was in AC1/AC2, it's been getting smaller ever since Brotherhood, I wonder if in the next AC they will have half a health bar. This makes it so you can't automatically counter-kill every single enemy in the game, well, you could with the hidden-blade but the counter time window on it would be very short. Also, after you are depleted of health squares, you should not regenerate them while in combat, this will either force the player to flee when he is outmatched or use his medicine.

Disable/Limit Kill chains: I'm not even going to explain what's wrong with Kill chains and their realism. On Master Difficulty Kill chains should either be lowered to a maximum of one extra kill or disabled.Finally, reward the player for beating the game on this difficulty, be it an achievement, multiplayer character, unique weapon/character skin, etc.

I think having a Master difficulty setting would be a great, much-needed addition to the series.Also, if anyone would like to read a thread I wrote quite some time ago about how to innovate combat and make it fresh and appealing again, feel free:http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/460528-Double-Counter-idea-how-to-innovate-combat-in-AC-R?highlight=innovate+combat+system

Do you agree/disagree? Thoughts?

LightRey
01-23-2012, 08:16 AM
If they can implement it then sure. I have no problem with any difficulty settings.

SixKeys
01-23-2012, 09:35 AM
After four games I think it would be weird for them to now suddenly add a difficulty setting for the last game. It's something they should definitely consider for future AC games, when the Desmond arc is over and done with. But IMO the game should be the same difficulty level for everyone. The first game was more challenging than the ones that followed but it was still pretty easy (I'm saying this as a casual gamer). All the problems the games currently have could be solved by simply improving the AI. Guard detection needs to be more realistic, some guards should be able to swim, they should be able to counter/knock you down, they shouldn't stop looking for you after 10 seconds just because they got bored etc. Removing medicine and bringing back the slowly regenerating health from AC1 would also increase the difficulty. These are really simple issues to solve yet for some reason the devs insist on making the player all-powerful and taking away every bit of challenge.

Conniving_Eagle
01-23-2012, 06:34 PM
After four games I think it would be weird for them to now suddenly add a difficulty setting for the last game. It's something they should definitely consider for future AC games, when the Desmond arc is over and done with. But IMO the game should be the same difficulty level for everyone. The first game was more challenging than the ones that followed but it was still pretty easy (I'm saying this as a casual gamer). All the problems the games currently have could be solved by simply improving the AI. Guard detection needs to be more realistic, some guards should be able to swim, they should be able to counter/knock you down, they shouldn't stop looking for you after 10 seconds just because they got bored etc. Removing medicine and bringing back the slowly regenerating health from AC1 would also increase the difficulty. These are really simple issues to solve yet for some reason the devs insist on making the player all-powerful and taking away every bit of challenge.

Many games should have difficulty options and many of them have added it in during a series. And the AI has been downgraded since the first AC. It's not AI anymore, now it's just Archetypes.

mustangmaniak20
01-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Yes, yes and yes!

masterfenix2009
01-23-2012, 08:12 PM
Sure.

q1908gate13
01-23-2012, 11:43 PM
We have the "do it like Ezio" 100% sync thing, so I believe it's not really necessary to add different difficulty levels.

thekarlone
01-23-2012, 11:51 PM
I hate the difficulty settings of the games (like Easy Mode, Normal Mode, Difficult Mode, etc.). So, NO.

Noble6
01-24-2012, 04:18 PM
I hate the difficulty settings of the games (like Easy Mode, Normal Mode, Difficult Mode, etc.). So, NO.
Why? What's wrong with difficulty systems?
I would love to see a difficulty system in the next game. Game is rídiculously easy at the moment. So, Yes!

Conniving_Eagle
01-24-2012, 06:30 PM
What he said ^^^

Conniving_Eagle
01-24-2012, 06:31 PM

You're right, games should all have one difficutly because all gamers have the same taste in challenge and all gamers have the same skill.

MasterAssasin84
01-24-2012, 07:17 PM
I dont have a problem with the current difficulty of the game but a master assasin difficulty would be a great addition as it really make the new game interesting, so i say yes.

LordWolv
01-24-2012, 09:12 PM
Usually I'm in full agreement with LightRey, but this time, I'm going to have to say something very unusual to his resounding:

Sure.
I'm going to have to say NO.
I hate difficulty settings, it's one of my most despised features of all video games. I could go into detail why, but honestly there's no need. It's just simply my opinion.

LightRey
01-25-2012, 01:07 AM
I still don't really get why so many people are against it. The only real argument against it I can come up with is that it could take up too much time and effort better spent on developing more important aspects of the game.

rileypoole1234
01-25-2012, 02:12 AM
Something like the Bioshock: Infinite system would work. A "classic" setting would work well I think. They could make the difficulty like AC1, with no kill streaks, no other assassin's, no medicine, no marker when the guards can see you, etc. If you play on regular mode, the gameplay will be just like ACR and ACB.

JumpInTheFire13
01-25-2012, 03:24 AM
I agree with everything you said. But I voted "No" because I think all of your points should just be in the game. No difficulty settings. Every game after AC1 you became a human tank, and AC1 didn't have difficulty settings, so it should just be the standard for the game.

GunnarGunderson
01-25-2012, 06:08 AM
After Ubisoft's ham fisted attempt at difficulty in ACR, I'm going to say no. I'll take a mindlessly easy game over a broken game

Toxotes47
01-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Having an ancestor as a novice working his way up into the order would automatically increase difficulty I think, but still I wouldn't mind if they incorporated it.

UrDeviant1
01-25-2012, 05:29 PM
I think Ubisoft should ​ Implement a difficulty setting. Maybe having Regular as being similar to ACB and ACR's difficulty, as will most likely be Intended for AC3. But also have a Master difficulty, where the player has to be more resourceful and responsible with their Inventory, Instead of being able to regain full health so easily due to the large number of medicine you can carry In 'Regular'. The guards line of sight being Increased would also make things more Interesting, making the player think harder about how he/she approaches a certain situation. There just a couple of examples but I'm sure there's more, although I don't agree with everything the OP said, I think he's right. I don't see a problem with making things more difficult for the core AC fans, while still catering for the 'casual gamer'. 2 difficulty settings, Master and Regular, Lets make It happen! :)

JumpInTheFire13
01-25-2012, 08:28 PM
Another thing that should be in the game to make it more realistic and difficult would be if a guard spots you when you're in a restricted area but you jump in a hay pile, he would just turn around and forget about it. This could be in the master difficulty if there is difficulty settings, or just implement it in the game period.

rafiqul84
01-27-2012, 11:37 PM
Completaly agree with this - they should return alot of the elements they had in AC1 back into the new game; harsher beatings for missing counters, being tossed about if you hold your gaurd for too long, remove the stupid "streak" system and let the hidden blade be COUNTER ATTACK ONLY.

phoenix-force411
01-28-2012, 02:42 AM
No, definitely not. And there are lots of posts about this already! Adding in a difficulty will destroy the immense awesomeness of the Animus! You can't just make a person's life time into a difficult setting.

SixKeys
01-28-2012, 02:48 AM
No, definitely not. And there are lots of posts about this already! Adding in a difficulty will destroy the immense awesomeness of the Animus! You can't just make a person's life time into a difficult setting.

While I don't really want to see a difficulty setting myself, I can actually see a way for them to implement the controversial "100% sync" into a difficulty setting. Not all fans like the 100% restrictions as they feel it forces them to do things in a certain way. If there were difficulty settings, the Easy or Normal settings could be without the sync requirements, and for those who want extra challenge, the Expert mode could have full sync challenges.

phoenix-force411
01-28-2012, 03:33 AM
Possibly. But the game gets more difficult by itself already. So, it doesn't need one. And to the Hidden blade subject, I don't think the counter window needs to change. I mean, if you know how to counter already, then you shouldn't complain, right? And changing the Hidden blade(s) to only counter only, would make action be dull. It has been in the game for 3 installments already, getting rid of it would be a major set back. I personally like swinging it around and killing guards with it. It's a personal style for the Assassin.