PDA

View Full Version : Still the only game in town...

99th Obsidian
01-22-2012, 05:06 PM
I posted on a thread recently about "Anyone still here from 10 years ago". Hard to believe its been that long since IL-2 came out. I was active online till the mods caused some fractures. As a junkie I got lured away by Wings of Prey's graphics and decent (on sim mode) FM's. But WOP online is WACK. Then the much anticipated Cliffs of Dover hit the ground with a loud CLOD! I have it, FM's and graphics are great (if you are into flight slide shows instead of sims). Heck I even took a spin at racing P-51's over Reno in FSX. Its a solid sim, good gfx's but the only way I could bring another plane down was to crash into them mid air (a strategy that is frowned upon in the FSX online community:p). So after seeing Redtails in the theatre I got online via HL with my old squad (the 99th) and flew a few 2 v 2 intrasquad sorties.

Yeah sure the grfx arent up to modern standards but the gameplay was solid. Joining a flight was easy, all of my controls were still mapped on my HOTAS, I communicated with my wingman liberally via TS. Within five minutes of wheels up I got shot down then on my next sortie I worked with my wingman and shot down my first breather in two years. I missed that adrenaline rush. Its whats missing from all other WWII flight sims I've flown. So for a vibrant online community, decent but dated graphics (even when modded), great fm's and the widest variety of WWII planes, theaters and missions, IL-2 FB via HL is still the only game in town.

Treetop64
01-22-2012, 05:17 PM
With the substantial improvements offered in the recent 4.11 patch it's even more so.

It may sound stupid or silly, but, as a guy, the longest love affair I've ever had was, and continues to be, with this sim. I've been playing it since 2003 and am as excited about it now as I was the very first day I played it.

dpleus
01-22-2012, 07:24 PM
I've installed it on every computer that I've bought in the last 10+ years right away. That pretty much says it all. I have the CLOD, but 4.11 gets the majority of my time.

Bearcat99
01-22-2012, 09:51 PM
I posted on a thread recently about "Anyone still here from 10 years ago". Hard to believe its been that long since IL-2 came out. I was active online till the mods caused some fractures. As a junkie I got lured away by Wings of Prey's graphics and decent (on sim mode) FM's. But WOP online is WACK. Then the much anticipated Cliffs of Dover hit the ground with a loud CLOD! I have it, FM's and graphics are great (if you are into flight slide shows instead of sims). Heck I even took a spin at racing P-51's over Reno in FSX. Its a solid sim, good gfx's but the only way I could bring another plane down was to crash into them mid air (a strategy that is frowned upon in the FSX online communityhttp://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20120113.419/images/smilies/tongue.png). So after seeing Redtails in the theatre I got online via HL with my old squad (the 99th) and flew a few 2 v 2 intrasquad sorties.

Yeah sure the grfx arent up to modern standards but the gameplay was solid. Joining a flight was easy, all of my controls were still mapped on my HOTAS, I communicated with my wingman liberally via TS. Within five minutes of wheels up I got shot down then on my next sortie I worked with my wingman and shot down my first breather in two years. I missed that adrenaline rush. Its whats missing from all other WWII flight sims I've flown. So for a vibrant online community, decent but dated graphics (even when modded), great fm's and the widest variety of WWII planes, theaters and missions, IL-2 FB via HL is still the only game in town.

Well I certainly missed that .. but I'll be on tonight after the game..

With the substantial improvements offered in the recent 4.11 patch it's even more so.

It may sound stupid or silly, but, as a guy, the longest love affair I've ever had was, and continues to be, with this sim. I've been playing it since 2003 and am as excited about it now as I was the very first day I played it.

Yeah .. I look forward to HSFX 6.0 or whatever it is called ... I like those HSFX Mustangs...

.. and yeah Ken .. this is still the ONLY game in town .. for now at least if you are looking circa 1939-46

MB_Avro_UK
01-26-2012, 12:39 AM
Hi all,

il2 1946 still holds up well. I've been as big a fan as anybody here. I'll never forget the demo in 2001. Sitting on the runway in a P-39 whilst the raindrops streamed.:cool:

But Cliffs of Dover has raised the bar. It's a shame that CoD was released as something similar to a beta due to financial demands. But the team are developing it to something better. And this bar was raised by Oleg.

There's a huge brand loyalty to il2 1946 and that's deserved. But the sim future is CoD and it's sequals.

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

Bearcat99
01-26-2012, 03:53 AM
Hi all,
il2 1946 still holds up well. I've been as big a fan as anybody here. I'll never forget the demo in 2001. Sitting on the runway in a P-39 whilst the raindrops streamed.:cool:

But Cliffs of Dover has raised the bar. It's a shame that CoD was released as something similar to a beta due to financial demands. But the team are developing it to something better. And this bar was raised by Oleg.
There's a huge brand loyalty to il2 1946 and that's deserved. But the sim future is CoD and it's sequals.

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

Of that I have no doubt.. We will probably be flying CoD well into the 20s unless there is some kind of major leap in technology..

waffen-79
01-27-2012, 06:47 PM
Yes it is STILL the best option by far, regarding WW2 air combat simulation

I'm serious even though I really enjoy the mod packs its crazy how they complicated things between:

Dark Blue World (offline)
HSFX (online)
UP (online)
Daidalus Team (official online)

The online community is split and the numbers shown on Hiperlobby makes me want to 'almost' er..cry (j/k) but it is sad

PLEASE server admins

Skies of Valor
Warbirds
Warclouds
Spits vs 109

switch now to 4.11

I'm also distracted by other superb games like World of Tanks, M&B Warband (cRPG mod) and APB Reloaded but I tell ya IL-2 1946 is still the King.

Swivet
01-30-2012, 02:33 AM
You got that right Ken!!!......It's the only Sim that's been on my rig the longest, even tho i don't get to fly as much as i want it's still the best out there for me:rolleyes: