PDA

View Full Version : Im lookin into upgrading

Collinwood01
01-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Hello fellow agents. Im lookin into upgrading my internet service and Im wondering if it will actually make a difference in eliminating some of the problems I have playing the MP. Should I invest more in uploading speed than downloading speed? Should I invest in making uploading speed and downloading speed equal? At the present time mine are not equal. I notice that I have about a 2 second delay in video feed so I think I should invest in downloading speed. Ill make a little list of the problems I have and maybe some of you in the know can help me out and tell me which way I should invest. Thanks ahead of time!
1. Invisible targets and pursuers
2. Kill/stun prompts dont come up at all or way to late to do anything about it.
3. Civilians appearing out of no where.
4. Targets and pursuers appearing out of no where(I know they arent teleporting).
5. In team modes, if Im surrounded by teammates, Ill be the first one killed but the last one to get a stun, kill or ground finish. Ill be stuck in the animation but cant get out of it until either my teammates get done with their kills, stuns and ground finishes or I get killed.
6. People slide, not walk or run, across the screen.
7. Targets and pursuers disappear and reappear across the screen(again, not using teleport).
8. Abilities either wont deploy or deploy way to late. I can hear the click sound but nothing happens or the delay is way to long.

Any helpful advice will be useful. I hope to hear from you soon.

Leather_Knight
01-18-2012, 11:13 PM
Welcome to ACR, Collinwood01. I hope to play with you some time!

Collinwood01
01-18-2012, 11:15 PM
HA HA. Very funny Leather. Ive had some of the same problems with ACB. I know its not ACR exclusive.

Leather_Knight
01-18-2012, 11:21 PM
I want to upgrade, too, so this information would be greatly appreciated by myself, as well.

Kogia
01-19-2012, 01:43 AM
A fairly low 10mb download should be enough to play online games lag free most of the time, you need to choose a supplier that guarantees this speed is set and exclusive to you, ie not shared with other users (some low cost carriers advertise their max speed but don't tell you that you'll only get this if you play on the thrid Tuesday of the fourth month at 0546).

Next to look for is upload and this is often where many carriers are really rubbish, you can have a consistant 10mb download but only scrape a 0.6mb upload. If you can find a providor with even a consistant 5mb upload you should be sorted. Upload speed does impact online gaming because it's your ability to send your information back.

So the numbers of what is required is not high, but consistancy is important.

Finally it is worth noting that even with a perfect internet speed, you will still be subjected to lag and glitches because you can't guarantee everyone else who you are playing with will have the perfect net connections.

Collinwood01
01-19-2012, 02:26 AM
Thank you Kogia. Im looking to get 12 MBPS download. Ill have to find out about the upload side.

Kogia
01-19-2012, 02:51 AM
12mb would be fine, the only advantage to getting higher download speeds is that you would be able to download or stream stuff while you play, since moving to Hong Kong (I'm out in a rural part of the territory) I had to drop down from my UK 40mb dl to just 8mb and I need to make sure I'm not downloading anything or anyone else is streaming videos or anything like that.

But do check the upload speed.

LadyGahan2010
01-19-2012, 03:15 AM
I upgraded my internet last summer (moving), got my download and upload basically doubled (from DSL to cable too) and there is NO difference. You may save your money for something better than that, IMO.

indulgence82
01-19-2012, 08:29 AM
Best way to get rid of the lag issues is to eject your disk from the console and put it back in its case.

Kogia
01-19-2012, 08:54 AM
lol indulgence has the most certain and possibly stress-free solution to avoid lag.

Today whilst playing I approached my target, I knew my pursuer was close so I started pressing square quickly, I started to attack, but then my target interrupted my attack and began their attack animation on their target, I kept mashing square, they then came out of their attack animation and stunned me, all the time I was mashing square, my pursuer then disappeared and reappaeared with their legs in the ground, I was then killed by a zombie with no legs who looked like they were crawling along the floor.

obliviondoll
01-19-2012, 09:22 AM
For gaming, you'll rarely find anything above 1Mbps to make a significant difference, except if you're running a server or routinely hosting games. Any download speed above 2Mbps won't produce recognisable improvements in online gaming in most cases.

PING is the main consideration, and there's very little you can do which will significantly improve this in any reliable way. Also, most broadband works on a system that provides a much higher download speed than upload, so that's not unusual. Depending what your upload speed is currently, upgrading may be beneficial, but it might not make much difference.

fordio
01-19-2012, 11:36 AM
For gaming, you'll rarely find anything above 1Mbps to make a significant difference, except if you're running a server or routinely hosting games. Any download speed above 2Mbps won't produce recognisable improvements in online gaming in most cases.

PING is the main consideration, and there's very little you can do which will significantly improve this in any reliable way. Also, most broadband works on a system that provides a much higher download speed than upload, so that's not unusual. Depending what your upload speed is currently, upgrading may be beneficial, but it might not make much difference.

Solid information, the only thing I would add which I haven't seen mentioned in the thread, is that some ISP's will allow you to log a support call and sacrafice some download speed for an increase in upload. So don't necessarily discount an ISP just because they advertise a certain set of figures, because these aren't always set in stone.

Leather_Knight
01-19-2012, 03:13 PM
So basically there is no hope? My NAT used to be green, but around the time of the patch it dropped to orange and won't go back up. Has anyone else had this issue? What can I do to get that orange bastard back to it's green color?

Collinwood01
01-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Thank you all for the responses. Ive decided to give it a try despite whats been said. Ill be at 12MBPS download and 1.5MBPS upload. Im really hopin it makes some kind of difference. Ill let you know in a few hours. Later agents

Collinwood01
01-19-2012, 08:41 PM
I upgraded today and the results are in and its the S O S different day. Ive been stunned by an invisible person, killed by someone gliding 20ft across the screen, not getting kill and stun prompts blah blah blah. I was gonna have to upgrade anyway. At least netflix loads up faster!