PDA

View Full Version : Alex Amancio

kriegerdesgottes
01-14-2012, 06:13 PM
So I don't see this topic up yet but what does everything think of Alex leaving Ubisoft? He apparently left for some Advertising company and I wish him the best of luck. What do you guys think?

masterfenix2009
01-14-2012, 06:51 PM
Ever since patrice left, they have been getting different creative directors.

twenty_glyphs
01-16-2012, 04:46 PM
I don't think we can read too much into the departure of Alex. A lot of the news articles are assuming that he was basically the replacement for Patrice Desilets, but I don't think that's who he was. Patrice was essentially the creative director on Brotherhood, but because he left I believe that's why he wasn't credited in the game's credits (I know there are lots of rules about how to qualify for a credit). It just seems logical that AC3 already had a creative director by the time Brotherhood wrapped up. Around the same time they were probably given the order to make a console game for 2011, and took the Lost Legacy concept as the basis. It seems logical that that is when Alex Amancio was promoted to the creative director role on Revelations, and the situation could have been "let's see how this goes". We don't know if he or Ubisoft was planning on him being the driving force behind the series after Revelations, but judging the way Alex acted in interviews I never got the feeling that he was.

The most likely scenario seems to be that Alex was brought in to head up the Revelations team and get that game out as a stopgap before AC3. I don't think his departure is a big reflection on the state of the series. Even just looking at him in interviews, he never seemed as excited about things as Patrice, so I never got the vibe that he was a big gamer or artist. He struck me as much more of a marketer, which may explain his new career direction. It's possible that his heart was just not really ever in the role of creative director, and he decided to move on on his own. Or perhaps he wasn't offered another creative director role after the lukewarm reception for Revelations, so he decided to move on because of that.

I wish Alex well, but I'm not worried about him leaving the series. I think he did a good job of pulling a game together on an almost impossible timeline, and I'm grateful for his work on Revelations. But after seeing some of the ideas that made it into Revelations and the direction the game took and how different it felt from the rest of the series, I think it would be best to have someone else on the series who can bring a better vision that aligns with the concepts established in the first 3 games.

SixKeys
01-16-2012, 11:19 PM
There is already a thread discussing this here: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/656246-Assassin-s-Creed-Revelations-Creative-Director-leaves-Ubisoft?