PDA

View Full Version : Terrible voice chat?

gimbeer
01-14-2012, 02:00 PM
Hi, I've been just wondering. When I get into a game, almost all the time I can't make out what other players are saying. I'm playing on PS3 and using my Tritton AX 180. Does anyone have a similar problem? And it's not about background noises, it just seems to be a bad quality.

Lass4r
01-14-2012, 03:14 PM
Yup, I have no idea how people manage to voice chat and hear eachother. I pretty much only hears murmurs and have to ask like 5 times to understand what people are saying.

Anyone care to explain?

XxKillaChaosxX
01-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Though I think overall the xbox's chat is better than the ps3's, ACR seems worse than most. It was so bad in the beta that the person I played it with would party chat with me on the 360 just so we could actually hear each other, yet I had no issues with chat in either of the Uncharted games.

Emvidasch
01-14-2012, 07:43 PM
It can depend on your connection, theirs, their mic or your headphones. Considering the brand you've mentioned it is very unlikely it's your headphones. If you want to chat in private with friends on PS3 I suggest using Skype. Otherwise, well if it get's annoying (10 year-olds i.e.) simply mute them.

CaliFaithful
01-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Hmmm, I was wondering if this was just me because when I play other games like BF3 and such, clarity and sound quality is fine. I can hear other people pretty well playing other games, but I almost feel like I'm forced to mute everyone with a mic on AC:R because all I hear is static when people try to talk.

gimbeer
01-14-2012, 10:43 PM
It can depend on your connection, theirs, their mic or your headphones. Considering the brand you've mentioned it is very unlikely it's your headphones. If you want to chat in private with friends on PS3 I suggest using Skype. Otherwise, well if it get's annoying (10 year-olds i.e.) simply mute them.

Well, this is a problem, cuz I'm not able to understand my teammates, and in team matches its kinda helpful.

tigertrouble321
01-14-2012, 10:45 PM
WHat are you talking about with the Xbox? I have one but what do you do to chat? I might have the same problem but I dont know yet

Emvidasch
01-15-2012, 10:40 AM
WHat are you talking about with the Xbox? I have one but what do you do to chat? I might have the same problem but I dont know yet

About the Xbox he was talking about Party Chat. You invite players to a party and chat through that rather than through the game itself. See it as some sort of private chat. Some say that chatting through a party causes less interference because the chat goes through Xbox LIVE directly instead of through a game's server. But that's all I know.

obliviondoll
01-15-2012, 11:01 AM
I've been informed that when my headset is low on power, it sounds like it's exploding.

Other than that, and other glitches because of headsets that don't like the system or are low on power and playing up, I tend not to have many problems.

Try adjusting volume settings - for both volume in AND out - not sure why, but sometimes, the mic volume affects how well you can hear other players too. Usually the best option is to turn your mic down as low as possible, and gradually turn it up while talking with a friend until they can hear you clearly.

Only exception is when the voice is "choppy" - where you have pauses every few seconds during a person's speech - THAT comes from lag. If you've got your PS3 connecting wirelessly to your router, try using a wired connection and see if that makes things more clear. Beyond that, it's probably going to be a problem at your ISP's end, which may or may not be possible to resolve, depending on the cause.

systemaddict13
01-15-2012, 11:44 AM
I play on both the 360 and the PS3: I've had no sound issues online on either. The headset for the PS3 is much worse than the standard 360 one (at least for me) - but even then I can hear people okay. Really the issues I run into are people leaving their mic on while yelling at their moms or whatever, or talking on the phone about something stupid. Regardless - it's usually always a user problem from what I've seen.

gimbeer
01-15-2012, 11:53 AM
TBH, before I bought headset I was using TV's speakers. And even then, the problem existed. They were like robotic and very low quality. Now they're not robotic, but still I can't make out what other people are saying.

I found a video, and in here it sounds more or less like in my case: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQIQqaNGkZY

obliviondoll
01-15-2012, 12:56 PM
That video sounds mostly clear enough to me - there's the usual mic distortion you ALWAYS get when using a headset, and a SLIGHT amount which is unavoidable when playing online, and at least one person has their headset output volume too high for the input, and they're picking up another player's voice so you get an echo, but that's normal and not bad enough to cause most people problems.

If you're really having that much trouble understanding something which isn't much worse than the normal amount of noise you expect to hear on a telephone, there's not going to be much help you can get outside of having your hearing checked or learning the language better (keeping up with slightly-distorted voices is MUCH harder when they're not speaking your first language).