PDA

View Full Version : OT:Need advice on driver for video card

[]_---_[] KITT
08-05-2004, 08:13 PM
Hi guys, just bought a new system with Radeon 9600XT 128Mb (I know it's not that good but i think it's sufficient for me).

When i try to run FB at perfect...I got corrupted graphics...I think it's the driver thing....What's the best driver for 9600XT? I downloaded newer driver...but the corrupted graphics was still there and even saw a drop in FPS.

I heard it's a common problem for the Radeon series (except for 9700,9800)? Is there any solution so that i can play FB at perfect?
just wanna check out the graphics....Thx

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/roh_kudus/Sig_small.gif
"He is St Peter"
"People with power can afford to show their ugly faces to ordinary people"-Empirically tested

[]_---_[] KITT
08-05-2004, 08:13 PM
Hi guys, just bought a new system with Radeon 9600XT 128Mb (I know it's not that good but i think it's sufficient for me).

When i try to run FB at perfect...I got corrupted graphics...I think it's the driver thing....What's the best driver for 9600XT? I downloaded newer driver...but the corrupted graphics was still there and even saw a drop in FPS.

I heard it's a common problem for the Radeon series (except for 9700,9800)? Is there any solution so that i can play FB at perfect?
just wanna check out the graphics....Thx

"He is St Peter"
"People with power can afford to show their ugly faces to ordinary people"-Empirically tested

horseback
08-05-2004, 08:25 PM
I have played this game with a 9800 Pro, a Ti4600 and a Ti4200, and never got better than Excellant at much more than slide show speeds.

The 9600XT is supposed to be a pretty good card, but it is a step down from the top of the line. How important is the fancy water reflections and 3-D trees, compared to the overall game performance?

However, if you check the Community Help Forum, there is a thread stickied near the top on how to squeeze the most out of your computer/video card.

cheers

horseback

"Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" -LTCOL Don Blakeslee, 4th FG CO, February 27th, 1944

steve_v
08-05-2004, 08:36 PM
The current best driver for the Radeon 9600XT is the cat 4.7.
There should be no corrupted graphics with this driver nor is it a common problem.

CapBackassward
08-05-2004, 08:37 PM
Make sure that on the IL2 Setup screen that under the driver tab you pick the OpenGl option. On the video tab - pick ATI Radeon 9800/9700/9500 tab or Maximum settings tab.

I have a 9600 pro and the best I can do is excellent mode. Perfect is just too much for my system. I have a 2.0 Athlon at 266 FSB + 1 Gig of memory. So if your system is similar to mine then I don't know if you will get by with perfect mode or not.

ATI drivers: most say 4.1 or 4.2 are the best. 4.7 get good reviews as well. There is also the ATI Omegas which are 3rd party (by someone who is an ATI driver beta tester) and for my system there is the 4.1 Omegas that I keep going back to.

You can also drop the ATI driver directly into your IL 2 folder and your game will run off of the driver in your IL 2 folder instead of the installed Windows/System driver. The benefit here is - all your other stuff runs off of the newest drivers while IL 2 runs off the best OTHER driver - the one you have put in the IL 2 folder. This may be a little confusing if you want to try then I can explain it more.

hope this helps,
Rick

[]_---_[] KITT
08-05-2004, 09:21 PM
Thx for the replies. Okay go to download cat 4.1.

"He is St Peter"

[]_---_[] KITT
08-05-2004, 10:41 PM
Hehehe turned out i don't need to update the driver just shanging the setup to 9800/9700/9500. Just tried FB at perfect for the first time..but getting only 11-30 fps. But okay since i only want to create a new sig from the perfect water. I remember someone had a similar sig looong time ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/roh_kudus/Sig2_max.gif
"He is St Peter"
"People with power can afford to show their ugly faces to ordinary people" -Empirically tested

tfu_iain1
08-06-2004, 07:53 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by horseback:
I have played this game with a 9800 Pro, a Ti4600 and a Ti4200, and never got better than Excellant at much more than slide show speeds.

The 9600XT is supposed to be a pretty good card, but it is a step down from the top of the line. How important is the fancy water reflections and 3-D trees, compared to the overall game performance?

However, if you check the Community Help Forum, there is a thread stickied near the top on how to squeeze the most out of your computer/video card.

cheers

horseback

What proc/mobo/ram u using horseback? just my 9800pro runs il2 a dream on perfect, and its only a p4-1.4 with 133 sdram, no fancy ddr stuff. it used to run slower... if your low on ram upgrading that will do more than any graphics card upgrade. in fact it ran great on excellent on my old ti4200. im not trying to condescend, but you have got your agp chipset drivers installed? i ran for about 3 months with my card in PCI mode and didnt realise as i had done a reformat/reinstall/