PDA

View Full Version : Wildly varying sniper rifle damage?

Sephlock
03-22-2007, 10:07 PM
At first I thought it was just me lagging, but this just happened to me in a game I was hosting:

Sometimes I'll hit someone in the chest with my sniper rifle (for example, in window-to-window combat on Streets), they'll bleed and everything.... but they won't die.

Other times, I'll perform the exact same action, hitting them in the same spot.... and they'll die in one hit. (And yes, I'm SURE I'm not hitting them in the head).

Its gotten to the point where I've switched to the PSG-1 (or whatever the semi-auto sniper rifle is) because I cannot reliably one-shot my targets.

Ironically, once I switched, I noticed myself one-shotting people again... even though the semi-auto sniper rifle has a lower damage rating than all the others.

Once I even got behind someone (he was kneeling against a wall, motionless) and shot them point blank in the upper back with my sniper rifle and he simply turned around and killed me.

(Yes I am aware that I should have hit him in the head, but at the time I was thinking that maybe the power of my sniper rifle was simply tapering off at long range, so I figured a point blank shot should do the job just fine, like it sometimes does for the AK).

I was also wondering if maybe it was body armor- nope. Same guys, same game- they never left the room. Sometimes I'd find them nearly impossible to kill, other times I'd one shot them over and over.

WTH?

If its not lag, body armor, or distance, then whats going on here?

Sephlock
03-22-2007, 10:07 PM
At first I thought it was just me lagging, but this just happened to me in a game I was hosting:

Sometimes I'll hit someone in the chest with my sniper rifle (for example, in window-to-window combat on Streets), they'll bleed and everything.... but they won't die.

Other times, I'll perform the exact same action, hitting them in the same spot.... and they'll die in one hit. (And yes, I'm SURE I'm not hitting them in the head).

Its gotten to the point where I've switched to the PSG-1 (or whatever the semi-auto sniper rifle is) because I cannot reliably one-shot my targets.

Ironically, once I switched, I noticed myself one-shotting people again... even though the semi-auto sniper rifle has a lower damage rating than all the others.

Once I even got behind someone (he was kneeling against a wall, motionless) and shot them point blank in the upper back with my sniper rifle and he simply turned around and killed me.

(Yes I am aware that I should have hit him in the head, but at the time I was thinking that maybe the power of my sniper rifle was simply tapering off at long range, so I figured a point blank shot should do the job just fine, like it sometimes does for the AK).

I was also wondering if maybe it was body armor- nope. Same guys, same game- they never left the room. Sometimes I'd find them nearly impossible to kill, other times I'd one shot them over and over.

WTH?

If its not lag, body armor, or distance, then whats going on here?

dave_lcd
03-22-2007, 11:34 PM
Maybe the game is using probablity.

You could shoot a guy in the chest and miss his vitals and the bullet passes right through and he lives, on the other hand maybe the bullet deflects off a rib and punctures his heart and he dies.

randolfphe
03-22-2007, 11:41 PM
different armor size/amount, different damage done.

personally i think it's total bull**** that someone survives a psg1 shot from 100 feet away. but that's just me.

Sephlock
03-23-2007, 01:38 AM
Also, is there ANY difference (aside from looks and sound) between the non-PSG sniper rifles?

And does anyone think the sniper rifles are overpowered? A buddy of mine seems to have convinced himself that they are in the same category as the autoshotty.

I guess if the majority agrees with him I'll (grudgingly) give it up, but given how unreliable the sniper rifles can be, I really don't see it...

--- edit ---

BTW, its not varying levels of armor: sometimes I'll be getting nonfatal hit after nonfatal hit (to the chest), then the next round rolls around I'll be oneshotting people left and right.

randolfphe
03-23-2007, 02:22 AM
the sniper and shotguns are not overpowered, the rest of the guns are underpowered.

Sephlock
03-23-2007, 05:13 AM
That doesn't really help my case -_-. Anyway, its the autoshotty that he dislikes, not the pump ones.

And as for every other gun being underpowered, how about the MTAR or the MP7A1 :P?