PDA

View Full Version : TRIM SETTINGS HELP!

bigsouth1981
12-09-2004, 02:03 PM
JUST GOT ACE EXP PACK TODAY AND I NEED SOME HELP.

IF IM FLYING A FIGHTER ie: SPITFIRE, the aircraft banks to the right gently even when im not holding the joystick, DOES THIS HAPPEN TO EVERYONE??, all my controlls are calibrated correctly, is this becaude of the propeller screw effect?, do i need to adjust my trim?, if so how?

Cheers from a Noob,

Andy

antifreeze
12-09-2004, 02:59 PM
Wasn't your last thread about this locked for some reason?
Anyway, yes... banking does happen to everyone as far as I'm aware. It tends to be to the right with Allied and left with Luftwaffe. It is the engine torque and prop-wash modelling I think, and maybe your nose lifting due to a little acceleration?

Trim will fix this. You need to use a combination though. First I hold a steady speed, and trim the elevator so the nose isn't lifting or dropping. Then I apply one or two 'key taps' of opposite aileron trim, but that alone usually won't stop the rotation. I balance with a couple of touches of opposite rudder. Usually the elevator needs adjusting afterwards too.
A lot of planes don't have ailreon trim, so you have to try to do it with elevator trim + speed balanced ---> opposite rudder trim ---> elevator again. I find the plane will be side-slipping a bit more if there isn't aileron trim.

That's how I do it anyway. Probably isn't correct, but it works well enough.

T_O_A_D
12-09-2004, 06:42 PM
I wrote THIS (http://131st.fighter-planes.net/files/131st_VFW%20Trim%20.doc) this a long time aqo for the origional IL2 but reading it might help you. It's a word file

Tully__
12-09-2004, 10:04 PM
Trim will fix this where it's available. A lot of aircraft in the game don't have aileron or rudder trim adjustable in flight. There are two or three that don't even have elevator trim.