PDA

View Full Version : IL2 Birds of Prey Demo

Fur_Cough
08-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Just played the demo of IL2 Birds of Prey on PS3. Have to admit I was excitied from the previews, which suggested a decent level of simulation.

It looks great - really does bode well for Storm of War - and they've tried to cope with console limitations, but the flight model and combat mechanics seem to have recieved the IQ excision obligatory for console games.

Might be better with the Thrustmaster stick, but
tried it with my X52, and of course it didn't work.

Fur_Cough
08-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Just played the demo of IL2 Birds of Prey on PS3. Have to admit I was excitied from the previews, which suggested a decent level of simulation.

It looks great - really does bode well for Storm of War - and they've tried to cope with console limitations, but the flight model and combat mechanics seem to have recieved the IQ excision obligatory for console games.

Might be better with the Thrustmaster stick, but
tried it with my X52, and of course it didn't work.

Choctaw111
08-22-2009, 12:04 PM
I am hoping that this game may catapult my sons desire to really get into this genre of gaming/simming.
It would be great to have more common interests with them.
My sons are more console players where I am PC.
This will be a good stepping stone for people, especially the younger ones, to get into a more serious sim like Il2 or BoB.

Stiletto-
08-22-2009, 11:25 PM
I know the xbox guys have had it for a couple weeks, but I just downloaded it onto my blu-ray player yesterday, to check out.

The graphics are pretty slick, nice lighting effects.. Put it on simulator mode and the WEP no longer makes you rocket up to 700kps but doesnt burn out in 10 seconds.. I thought okay, energy management is now more realistic, etc.. Seemed okay in the Spitfire mission.

But the P-51 mission where you have to keep low by the river. First of all, I couldnt figure out where to go in this mission and on simulator mode I could not keep the P-51 in the air. I know i was using a game pad but I was trying to be gentle as possible and it would just auger into a stall too easily with it being impossible to pull out of in time before hitting the ground.

I tried handling the plane at high speeds where I figured it would be more responsive to throw the stick around, it ended up porpoising in the same as at low speeds, flaps made little difference. Seemed a little odd.

I am wondering if the PS3 recognizes the X-52. I'd like to try it with a real stick but I'm pretty sure I wasn't man-handling the gamepad too much.

All in all, I think it was more fun than Red Baron Arcade, and on the relaxed settings I think it could be fun for an arcade style game.. Not really my bag though, and I am skepticle of the 'realistic' physics. Also, the HE-111's fall apart way too easily and with unlimited ammo it can get kind of silly.