PDA

View Full Version : Noob cant keep up!

Almeister9
08-11-2009, 03:28 AM
Hi all.
After "mucking around" with IL-2 1946 for about two years now, reacking havoc on the enemy in "easy" mode, I have recently been filled with a passion to get "real" and only fly with full realism (except complex engine management at this stage). I have chosen the Hurricane IIb as my ride, and have a Saitek AV8R joystick with twist rudder (No trackIR :-( yet). Using MissionMate I have setup a practice scenario and I can now land pretty much all the time as long as I dont loose the airstrip (cant find a compass in the Hurri cockpit for the life of me). I decided to start an Offline pilot career and joined the RAF. First mission defending Singapore. I take off OK with the same seperation between me that the other 3 in front of me had, but for the life of me, I cant keep up with them.
No matter what I have tried, I spend the whole time trying to catch up with them at least 2k in front of me, until I get to the mission, then Im chasing my leader all over the sky until he heads for home, then Im chasing my boys all the way home.
Once I successfully land I figure, "well at least I completed the mission", and during the mission, both primary and secondary mission completed messages come up.
Then when I close the mission it still says o missions completed.
I think my biggest problem here is speed management. If I cheat and put her on Auto pilot, it cathes up no problems and flies along nicely in formation, buut without that cheat I just cant seem to catch up.
I really would like to be able to fly as close to full real as possible, my aim is to eventually go online and possible join a squadron.

Is there anybody out there that could give me some advice, or at least point me in the right direction.

Cheers Al.

Almeister9
08-11-2009, 03:28 AM
Hi all.
After "mucking around" with IL-2 1946 for about two years now, reacking havoc on the enemy in "easy" mode, I have recently been filled with a passion to get "real" and only fly with full realism (except complex engine management at this stage). I have chosen the Hurricane IIb as my ride, and have a Saitek AV8R joystick with twist rudder (No trackIR :-( yet). Using MissionMate I have setup a practice scenario and I can now land pretty much all the time as long as I dont loose the airstrip (cant find a compass in the Hurri cockpit for the life of me). I decided to start an Offline pilot career and joined the RAF. First mission defending Singapore. I take off OK with the same seperation between me that the other 3 in front of me had, but for the life of me, I cant keep up with them.
No matter what I have tried, I spend the whole time trying to catch up with them at least 2k in front of me, until I get to the mission, then Im chasing my leader all over the sky until he heads for home, then Im chasing my boys all the way home.
Once I successfully land I figure, "well at least I completed the mission", and during the mission, both primary and secondary mission completed messages come up.
Then when I close the mission it still says o missions completed.
I think my biggest problem here is speed management. If I cheat and put her on Auto pilot, it cathes up no problems and flies along nicely in formation, buut without that cheat I just cant seem to catch up.
I really would like to be able to fly as close to full real as possible, my aim is to eventually go online and possible join a squadron.

Is there anybody out there that could give me some advice, or at least point me in the right direction.

Cheers Al.

Codex1971
08-11-2009, 04:15 AM
Welcome Al.

If you want to get serious follow Bearcat's Nugget's Guide. (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/9121094645)

The next thing is just practice until your hands bleed (that has so many connotations in the flight sim genre http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif ).

If you haven't got a HOTAS system or TrackIR don't sweat it, all of us had to do without it for a while too. It's actually better learning without it IMO as it forces you to focus on flying.

With regards to the AI, as you've already noticed AI in this sim are tough to keep up with, that’s because the AI do "cheat" somewhat in terms of flight management and situational awareness. You'll keep up with them eventually.

My suggestion try download or build some missions setting you up in the Hurri on the runway. Practice taxing, taking off, circuits and landing on full settings first. It's critical to get to know how your plane flies and how you fly it.

Good Luck

Friendly_flyer
08-11-2009, 04:23 AM
Welcome to the camp of the hardcore simmers, mate!

1st off, the compass in the Hurri is located behind the stick. It is almost impossible to use. In real life you'd be able to peak around the stick, but in game, your are left to guessing your heading. Most play with the speed-bar on, so that your heading is shown as a small, red number in the left hand corner of the screen.

2nd, don't worry about cheating when it comes to AI, because the AI cheat too! They fly with a simplified flight model, they'll never overheat and always has perfect propeller pitch and mixture. Hitting A to catch up with them is really the only way, if you don't want to start to mess around with engine management. Actually, keeping track of your engine isn't really that hard, but if you have just started flying in a more realistic environment I guess you have enough on your mind as it is.

3rd thing to do is to uncheck the "no instant success" option. As long as you survive the mission and make it back to base, you can continue to the next one. The "Instant success" is actually the more realistic option, in real life you were never called up to re-fly your last mission.

Almeister9
08-11-2009, 04:32 AM
Thanks Codex,
I tried the Nuggets Guide but where it says
"Go to MultiPlayer etc", I followed the instructions, took off but found that I couldnt see the grass runway I had just taken off from unless i was right next to it at 50 odd feet, atfer looping around for ages trying to use the headings to line myself up I eventually landed in the field and destroyed my undercarriage. To my chagrin, I hit external view and used my mouse to pan around and up and found that I was maybe 100 feet to one side of the runway.
hahaha
Anyway I have discovered Zues-Cat's "Straight from the farm" missions so I am going to give them a go now.
Thanks again for your reply.
Hope to see you in the air someday.

Friendly_flyer
08-11-2009, 04:59 AM
If you are using "mouse-view", here's a tip:

Use the mouse in your left hand. Bind the throttle to the mouse wheel. In this way, you have a decent throttle as well as an (after a while) very intuitive way of looking around. I used this for quite a while until I got TIR, and while TIR is better for online use, "mouse-view" isn't far behind for offline flying.

Almeister9
08-11-2009, 05:08 AM
Thanx Freindly_flyer.
I only ever use my mouse-view to look around once Im on the ground. I did a mission once where the brief said "take off immediately", so I did and died immediately. I didnt realise I was last in a line of four. Ran straight into my wingman. haha.
So now I always go external to see the line up and wait for my turn, then back into the cockpit for throttle up. I am trying to go full realism.
Im starting to have dreams of sim-pits and motorised gyroscope frames. haha.
I like your advice of left hand mouse and will definately give it a go.
Speaking of which, I love your Whirlwind, I wish they had have given it some decent engines and a fair go. I would love to know how it would have held up in a fight.
Cheers Al.

M_Gunz
08-11-2009, 05:20 AM
After takeoff don't point your nose up at the ones you are following until you have built up good speed. Stay level
until at least 240-270 kph and then make any climb shallow enough that you keep building speed and start to catch
up on the horizontal. Only then rise up and only enough that you keep your speed and slowly close on the group.
Most missions the get to waypoint speed is 300-some, you need to go faster to catch up but once you do then you
will need to throttle back. Some missions are just go balls-out and you may not catch up, don't let it get to you.

Friendly_flyer
08-11-2009, 06:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Almeister9:
Speaking of which, I love your Whirlwind, I wish they had have given it some decent engines and a fair go. I would love to know how it would have held up in a fight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With a little patient, we will http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Regarding take-off. When I start in a mission, I usually give around 20% engine and hit full rudder and break at the same time. This swings the plane slowly around, enough for you to se if you have anyone in front of you. When I see enough to see what's happening in front, I throttle down to idle.

SeaFireLIV
08-11-2009, 06:54 AM
It`s easy to keep up with Ai after they take off. No cheating needed at all. Oleg siad the AI will not do anything the Human can`t. Like with you, it did seem impossible first, until I learned.

Unfortunately, I tend not to analyse what I do, so i`ll just give the basics off the top of my head:

1. Already powerup to around 60% and hold brakes.

2. Take off as soon as the guy in front is rolling.

3. Gears up (and flaps if you use them, I try not to as it slows you down), IMMEDIATELY once off the ground.

4. TRIM up slightly.

5. Full power for a bit.

6. Keep steady, don`t roll about or anything.

Bingo, you`ll catch up before you know, within 5 minutes.

I think the trimming bit is important as it can make a big difference.

Uufflakke
08-11-2009, 07:55 AM
And to add one more thing to SFLIV's advice:

7.Use your rudder to keep the ball in the center of the rudder indicator to reduce drag.

Now you will catch up with the AI before you know it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

megalopsuche
08-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Leave the minimap path ON. Yes, it's like GPS, but navigation isn't the skill you should be working on right now.

Leave icons ON (no flames please). Distinguishing pixels on a computer screen is another skill you needn't bother with.

Complex engine management ON. It's not nearly as difficult as you think, and it's something you need to learn.

If you're flying the Hurri IIb, bring your convergence in to 200m or less.

SeaFireLIV
08-11-2009, 08:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Uufflakke:
And to add one more thing to SFLIV's advice:

7.Use your rudder to keep the ball in the center of the rudder indicator to reduce drag.

Now you will catch up with the AI before you know it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point, I aways forget that. Slight right trimming can do it too.

Superjew1
08-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Yea I was afraid of complex engine management when I first started. Ive gotten kind of use to it, I mess with everything but the mixture settings.

When I get my flight console it should make it simpler for me to manage the engine accordingly.

maybe you might consider getting one of these too to make it easier on yourself.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c360/sirscrotum/05082009041.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c360/sirscrotum/05082009047.jpg

Uufflakke
08-11-2009, 11:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Almeister9:
I can now land pretty much all the time as long as I dont loose the airstrip (cant find a compass in the Hurri cockpit for the life of me).
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh195/Uufflakke/Compass.jpg

The compass is easier to use with TrackIR or any other headtracking device in combination with the 6DOF mod.

About CEM: it ain't that complex as you would think. In the included Aircraft Guide you will find the info about Mixture and when using supercharger for every particular plane.
This site about CEM was very helpful to me:
COMPLEX ENGINE MANAGEMENT (http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=249&page=1)

Urufu_Shinjiro
08-11-2009, 12:05 PM
All these tips are good, but the best tip for keeping up with AI is learn to trim, trim and trim often, lol.

Blindman-
08-11-2009, 12:44 PM
If you get tired of trying to catch up with your squad and still want to practice developing your other new skills then try the "2 minutes to action" training series (click on my signature to download them from M4T). They don’t have your beloved Hurricane but that can be changed quickly and easily using Shift_E’s “Quick Mission Tuner” (found here: http://www.mission4today.com/i...file=details&id=3451).

Good luck.

Xiolablu3
08-11-2009, 02:25 PM
If you are having trouble keeping up with the AI then learn about what part 'energy' plays in flying.

Almeister9
08-11-2009, 04:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blindman-:
If you get tired of trying to catch up with your squad and still want to practice developing your other new skills then try the "2 minutes to action" training series (click on my signature to download them from M4T). They don’t have your beloved Hurricane but that can be changed quickly and easily using Shift_E’s “Quick Mission Tuner” (found here: http://www.mission4today.com/i...file=details&id=3451).

Good luck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Blindman. That comes up as a 404 error but I found it anyway by browsing through the downloads, Missions, training Missions. I got the full package. Thanks.

Almeister9
08-11-2009, 04:11 PM
THANK YOU ALL!

Thanx to all of you for your replies and help
1. I will be trying to go complex engine management from now on.
2. I will be trying to learn to trim more often.
3. Still trying to get my head around energy management but still reading and learning.
4. now flying with mouse in left hand (your right Freindly_flyer, for a poor mans trackIR, it's not too bad).
5. going back to training missions.

Im glad I have found this very freindly and helpful community and look forward for a chance to meet some of you online in the sky when I feel Im ready to go online (hopefully not long now). I live in Australia so I am thinking of joining an Aussie squadron. Most squadrons I have looked at seem to offer training as well.

Thanx again all.
Cheers Al.

Fur_Cough
08-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Sounds like I'm in a similar place. Perhaps a bit further on; after experimenting a bit with the Hurricane I'm now seriously learning the P-40 on the "Shark Nose Squadron" campaign which I'm really enjoing.

Once you come to getting more gear, don't buy it new unless you really have to. By hunting on ebay I picked up a TIR3 and an X52 for £50 each, thus saving me half my money. I reckon the best order to get stuff is:
1. TIR (suddenly you're not flying by looking out of a letter box, though maybe the mouse works for you)
2. Rudder pedals (really helped me get the "feel" of the aircraft)
3. HOTAS (very useful, but I'm *still* trying to get the right set-up)