PDA

View Full Version : Any news on FB/PF Platinum?

ladlon
02-25-2006, 04:30 PM
I've been hearing that a merged version of FB/AEP/PF is coming out very soon. Any solid release dates? As well, anyone know how much it'll be? (Even aproximately?)

I'm debating whether or not to buy FB/AEP right now (...I have PF and IL2), or wait for the platinum version. If it's going to be much more than $20Can, I may just get FB/AEP now.

Anyone know anything about it?

ladlon
02-25-2006, 04:30 PM
I've been hearing that a merged version of FB/AEP/PF is coming out very soon. Any solid release dates? As well, anyone know how much it'll be? (Even aproximately?)

I'm debating whether or not to buy FB/AEP right now (...I have PF and IL2), or wait for the platinum version. If it's going to be much more than $20Can, I may just get FB/AEP now.

Anyone know anything about it?

slo_1_2_3
02-26-2006, 02:16 AM
well it was suposed to be released on febuary 17 but htye blew by that date so someone told mee sometime in marcg (we'll see)
and someone told me it was probably $40 us and someone said probably $20 us so i dont know no one does i guess

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-26-2006, 01:32 PM
It is supposed to be released when the PE2 addon/expansion is released. I suspect it's not quite ready yet, but relatively soon.

TB

ladlon
02-26-2006, 01:48 PM
What's the PE2 addon? Did you mean to type PF? Even so, what is it?

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-26-2006, 02:46 PM
PE2 is a Soviet twin-engined attack bomber that was slated for release in a Russia-only patch/add-on later this year. Supposedly, it will be released to the west in the Platinum version.

TB

Skycat_2
02-26-2006, 03:30 PM
I have yet to see any official or semi-official information about anything called "Platinum Pack."

Until recently the name for the FB+AEP+PF DVD was (tentatively?) "Air Combat Collection." I've been told by somebody who claims to know somebody inside the Ubi Soft machine that the name has been changed to "IL-2 Ultimate Collection" or something along that line.

SaQSoN, who seems to have some inside knowledge of the 1C:MG plan, has said that the Pe-2 addon will be released at the same time as the DVD pack, and the success of Pe-2 will determine if the other two Russian market expansions will be targeted to the west. Ian Boys has made some cryptic remarks hinting that Pe-2's content is being sweetened to make it more interesting to the Western market, and that he is very excited by the new direction; I have a feeling that the Burma map is in it, being that Ian just released an illustrated 'war story' where he flys a Beaufighter over that map. (If you remember back to FB development days, Ian released several of these stories on the eve of FB's release to whet the community's appetite.)

I know that Oleg floated the idea past the community several months ago of including the three Russian addons on the DVD, but I understand that Ubi Soft nixed the idea. At that time Oleg was referring to the FB+AEP+PF DVD as 'Platinum Pack' but I took that as an informal working title. People have since interpreted all kinds of meaning into this including that the upcoming DVD will have some kind of name and that a future title officially called "Platinum Pack" will definately include the Russian addons. Bottom line for me is that I have yet to see any information that "Pe-2" will be included in any larger collection let alone a title called "Platinum Pack"; I think this is a fantasy born out of old information, wishful thinking and uncontrolled rumor. We'll know in a few weeks though. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ladlon
02-26-2006, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the info Skycat (and TB)...

So, this Ultimate pack, platinum pack, whatever we end up calling it... Is it slated to come out in a few weeks?

I'm in the process of deciding whether to get FB/AEP right now. If it'll be out very soon (North America), I may hold off and get the DVD instead... Otherwise, I may just jump in this week and get FB/AEP.

Skycat_2
02-26-2006, 04:14 PM
There hasn't been an official announcement on the DVD and Pe-2, but I've heard they will come out "mid-March." The date of March 10 also comes to my mind, although I don't know why.

Traditionally with the IL-2 series, any release date that is offered before an official announcement from 1C:MG/Ubi Soft that the product is ready is only an informed guess at best.

Regarding price, I don't know what it will be but when an Australian software vendor was taking pre-orders I tried to convert the Australian dollars to USD and it came out to a little over $40 USD I think. Another Australian vendor was pre-ordering at $20 AUS but I think they were using the old 'Gold Pack' as a guage.

If you can get the FB+AEP for only $20 Canadian, you might be better off grabbing it now. Is it a used copy? Sell FB+AEP off to Slo_123 if the DVD looks better to you later. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ladlon
02-26-2006, 05:08 PM
More good info, Skycat... Thanks.

Ya, about the only other thing I'd be wondering in my 'DVD vs old FB/AEP' dillema would be whether the DVD has something more, or if there's some disadvantage to manual patching (as required by the old version)... I don't think there would be, other than convenience.

Ya, I'll probably order the FB/AEP thing tonight. It's a new version for $20Can... Free shipping too... So, not a big investment.

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-27-2006, 06:33 AM
There is no disadvantage to manual patching...other than the time investment. The end-result is the same.

I'd also have to mirror the sentiments of Skycat_2, go ahead and grab the 'gold pack'. The price is right and you can fly NOW!

TB

ladlon
02-27-2006, 02:50 PM
Yup, done deal... I ordered it last night.

In the meantime, I'm playing IL2 (for the first time in a long while) and PF.

ytareh
02-28-2006, 04:11 PM
While the game can be manually patched by people who buy the Gold Pack right now and fair play to them, I bet a lot of Olegs old disciples ,myself included,will be buying the "platinum" pack and consider the purchase well worth while for the Pe2 alone, notwithstanding the loyalty issue...
Surely this is the best supported game in the business.Ive bought second copies of all the pre PF games and will be happy to have a 'spare' PF ....After all what if your disc got broken/lost!!!???

slo_1_2_3
02-28-2006, 04:29 PM
i thinkalot of these guys would curl up in a ball in the corner rocking back and forth while crying and holding the broken disc

ladlon
02-28-2006, 07:38 PM
Ya, I must say, not only was I always impressed with IL2 (the graphics, the unmatched feeling of 'air under the wings', etc), but I was also very impressed so far with the number of patches coming out for PF (and the impressive list of changes they contained).

Looking forward to seeing what's in store for us next!

ladlon
02-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Hrmm... I really need to make myself one of those Avitar pics for under my name... I'm feeling very naked.